Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fuzzball84

macrumors 68020
Apr 19, 2015
No it isn’t. People who make this comparison forget the fact that Apple doesn’t license any of their software for use in 3rd party hardware or dominate market share like Microsoft and Google. If they did, that would be a valid statement.
Yes they do… they have software licensed for use on other operating systems.

Fuzzball84

macrumors 68020
Apr 19, 2015
You know I was talking about the OS... They definitely don’t license iOS, macOS, etc..
They don't license their OS on third party hardware as they know it would be a popular option for many people wanting access to Mac environment without paying fora mac.

And they don't want it on any other devices as they want a monopoly on their own devices… which i completely understand. They want to control the experience in order to provide that Apple experience. Problem is, as Apple become more and more popular…this monopoly poses a question for authorities everywhere.

Reactions: Shirasaki

truthsteve

Suspended
Nov 3, 2023
"Google has also updated its Pixel software to show alternative browser choices, and says that new Android devices made by other companies will also display the choice screen in the coming months."
why are you quoting something I already read? did you have something else to add?

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Mozilla, which owns Firefox, estimates that only around a fifth of iPhone users in the EU have received the iOS update, and claims that the rollout is much slower than Apple's previous software updates.
Maybe, just maybe, the staunchly anti-sideloading iPhone users refuse to update their iOS version no matter what?
keeps Safari front and center on the user's iPhone Home screen.
Would not be a problem if safari is ACTUALLY good.
but it is not.
  • select your default browser
  • select your default "ordered by" preference
  • select your default "preference selection" preference
  • select your default "selection" preference
  • select your default default preference
  • select your your preference
  • select preference your select
  • your select preference
  • prefer your select ence
  • you sleect rpefernce
  • please return your iPhone as we do not wish to do business with you
USA: time to pull out that wicked place once and for all. Make iPhone in the USA, and Only for USA people.
Apple is a USA company After all!
It's so adorable how the EU thinks they matter in world politics and the global economy.
It’s so adorable how the US thinks they matter in world politics and the global economy.

Reactions: nicolas_s

ApAx

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2023
United States
No it isn't at odds at all, if there reasonable and non-discriminatory licensing or frand as some call it we wouldn't enjoy what we enjoy today. And the example you name is exactly the kind of limitation that isn't good for consumers. Having more datapoints improves the service opposed to just getting the data from VAG cars. It is so short sighted to look at things like that, and that is actually what the EU is pretty good at, or has become good at over the years. And naturally they do get it wrong at times....But each for their own is not the capialism ethos, it limits the amount of money you can make...

I mean that this concept is un-American at its very core. Requiring the people and companies to do things in a way that influences/controls free markets is exactly what many Americans criticize europe for. In America, one company does not have to be fair to its competitor, just fair to the consumer.

• Haha
Reactions: Lyrics23

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
It’s always insane to me to see so many people always side again trillion dollar companies, rather than simply side with what make more sense.

As is the case with consoles like the Nintendo switch, Apple elected to give up market share in favour of a closed ecosystem. It is this integration ecosystem that differentiates their products from the competition, which users specifically chose, and which has made Apple so very successful.

The manner in which Apple runs their platform generally makes sense to me. In my opinion, Apple has every right to monetise their IP and not only is the DMA a violation of that, the EU can’t even be honest about exactly it is they are trying to do here.

It’s the right of any country to pass any law they want. It doesn’t mean I agree with them, but there’s always the option to either follow them or not stay on in that country.

The case for Apple leaving the EU gets ever so slightly stronger with each passing day.

Analog Kid

macrumors G3
Mar 4, 2003
No it isn’t. People who make this comparison forget the fact that Apple doesn’t license any of their software for use in 3rd party hardware or dominate market share like Microsoft and Google. If they did, that would be a valid statement.
It still wouldn't be valid. Microsoft was guilty of a large number of abuses in those days. They were extorting payments from box makers even when the box wasn't shipping with Windows installed. They were illegally trying to divide the browser market with Netscape (of course they'd get the 98% portion, but the act colluding to divide a market is illegal in itself). They were working to subvert competing standards. I mean the list was pretty long.

Microsofts market share was much, much greater than Apples is in any market, but that was just the start of the problem.

It's also worth remembering that years of litigation against Microsoft let to essentially no meaningful impact.

Chuckeee

macrumors 68000
Aug 18, 2023
Southern California
Yep, doesn't do that either....
Yes Windows does, based on my personal recent experience on my wife’s home laptop upgrading from Windows 10 to Windows 11, the default browser was changed from Firefox to Edge without my permission or consent. After changing back to Firefox, Windows again changed it back to Edge after a subsequent security update, again without permission or notification.

rman0726

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2009
I think this is an under appreciated point—and impressively clever/sneaky on Apple's part.

A user who taps the Safari icon is expecting to get Safari. If they are subsequently presented with a screen that says "would you like to use a different browser instead," the user is likely to respond "uh, no, please just give me Safari like I asked."

By contrast, if the browser choice was presented as part of the initial iOS setup flow (where you are asked to choose between light and dark mode, enable Siri, and so on), users would likely be much more amenable to selecting a different browser.
It also is more likely to piss off users too though. I know I personally can get annoyed at how many options I have to go through to begin with, whether it be setting up a new phone, downloading and opening a new app/game for the first time, upgrading, etc. Why should one billion people be inconvenienced with yet another setting to choose? When I get my new phone, I don't know about you, but I just want to use it.

Reactions: iOS Geek

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
I think this is an under appreciated point—and impressively clever/sneaky on Apple's part.

A user who taps the Safari icon is expecting to get Safari. If they are subsequently presented with a screen that says "would you like to use a different browser instead," the user is likely to respond "uh, no, please just give me Safari like I asked."

By contrast, if the browser choice was presented as part of the initial iOS setup flow (where you are asked to choose between light and dark mode, enable Siri, and so on), users would likely be much more amenable to selecting a different browser.
It also means one more step for users who are rushing to get their phone set up.

Is Apple also expected to present a page chock full of alternatives for all the other stock apps such as mail, maps, podcast, music player, notes, calendar, and photos that the user can download as well?

As it is, I am already hoping Apple can cut down on the number of steps involved in setting up my iOS device, not add on to it.

cyb3rdud3

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2014
UK
I mean that this concept is un-American at its very core. Requiring the people and companies to do things in a way that influences/controls free markets is exactly what many Americans criticize europe for. In America, one company does not have to be fair to its competitor, just fair to the consumer.
Which is exactly the point, one doesn't work without the other ;)

Reactions: Lyrics23

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Which is exactly the point, one doesn't work without the other ;)
Not true. Something can be good for the end user while not being to the benefit of the developer (think something like ATT or Sign in with Apple), and vice versa (eg: not wanting to give a developer my payment details). Our interests aren't always aligned in this regard.

cyb3rdud3

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2014
UK
Not true. Something can be good for the end user while not being to the benefit of the developer (think something like ATT or Sign in with Apple), and vice versa (eg: not wanting to give a developer my payment details). Our interests aren't always aligned in this regard.
Successful companies that last focus on the customer ;) You seem to forget the most elementary thing as in who pays for everything in the world...It is us...

ninecows

macrumors 6502a
Apr 9, 2012
But if you’re a global company. Would you rather be in the EU or the United States?

No offense to my friends in the EU, but money travels further here (for MANY reasons… like no nationalized healthcare, little import tax, no VAT, etc).
If I was s global company I would rather be in the US because there’s less regulation that prevents me from screwing the consumers.

• Haha
Reactions: Sophisticatednut

nicolas_s

macrumors regular
Nov 22, 2020
Private navigation? They just stored cookies, tracked you between websites, used fingerprinting techniques to create grey profiles. You know when Apple have the “ask websites to not track you” it was just ignored as no legal consequences existed.

They literally didn’t need any consent from you.
Do you even understand how cookies and private navigation work? Cookies are entirely managed internally by your device, meaning that if your browser doesn't store them, they don't exist anywhere.

It's not called a cookie if it's on Google's servers.

And if you don't trust your browser, you can manually delete the files or use an open source browser and check the source code yourself.

Now, it doesn't prevent sites to track you with other ways, such as using the IP address, but again, it doesn't have anything to do with cookies.

The accusation was simply that Google was still tracking users using other methods, and the "incognito" name was misleading and could make the user think that he was totally anonymous.

God of Biscuits

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2007
If Apple cares about users, they’d make the UI meaningful for the user. Clearly here they donr care about their customers anywhere near as much as they care about playing the victim to EU.

just like MS did in 2010.

God of Biscuits

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2007
It's so adorable how the EU thinks they matter in world politics and the global economy.

this is so stupidly far from the point it’s laughable. Apple‘s intentionally sowing user confusion in its OWN UI, as one of the first things all of its new to iPhone customers will see, just because it‘s more concerned with pitching a fit about not being able to force its own browser onto users than it is to making technology easier/better for its customers.

Remember when Apple put users first…or at least made a believable show of it?

ninecows

macrumors 6502a
Apr 9, 2012
But if you’re a global company. Would you rather be in the EU or the United States?

No offense to my friends in the EU, but money travels further here (for MANY reasons… like no nationalized healthcare, little import tax, no VAT, etc).
On a more off topic note:

It would actually be interesting to see if EU vs US had more “free lunch” for the average person. Take a median EU country (I can provide numbers for a Danish) household income, subtract taxes etc and see how many MacBook Pros (or BigMacs or IKEA Billys) that can be bought for whatever there’s left after all the regular basic living expenses. Compare with a US household.

The countries are very different in how you get certain services (insurance, healthcare, daycare, education, unemployment insurance/benefits, warranty for stuff you buy etc), so the trick is to compare correctly.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
If Apple cares about users, they’d make the UI meaningful for the user. Clearly here they donr care about their customers anywhere near as much as they care about playing the victim to EU.

just like MS did in 2010.
It's a meaningless prompt anyways, and if anyone here has any ideas on how the UI can be improved, I am all ears. I am not allowed to arrange the browser options in any meaningful order because then, some company ending with Y might accuse me of favour another company whose browser begins with E or C.

I don't think users are interested in scrolling through long descriptions of what each browser does when they just want to browse the web. If I want an alternate browser, I am perfectly capable of searching for one and installing it on my own. No need for random prompts to hijack my web browsing experience.

Reactions: iOS Geek
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.