Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ipoddd

macrumors newbie
Jun 12, 2018
My original iPod collection not seal but excellent condition .

Last edited:

Mormislaw

macrumors newbie
Aug 23, 2018
Poland
7A63D287-1A12-475C-8878-D2B09922513C.jpeg
Hello!
I just bought my first iPod. For 15 bucks.
It’s a first gen iPod Mini, I wanna do some modifications to it:
I’m waiting for a replacement battery to arrive, and I will replace my Microdrive with an 8GB Compact Flash that’s just laying somewhere.
I thought it will be just my MP3 Player, nothing special, but, heck, I started to love these things!
Next on my list will be an iPod Video - I’d replace the hard drive with mine, that’s also laying somewhere and is just collecting dust.
And I will probably buy the newest Nano, just for daily usage.
So, I know, I’m not a collector yet, but I wanna be.

Reactions: Avenged110

Jpoon

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2008
View attachment 777402 Hello!
I just bought my first iPod. For 15 bucks.
It’s a first gen iPod Mini, I wanna do some modifications to it:
I’m waiting for a replacement battery to arrive, and I will replace my Microdrive with an 8GB Compact Flash that’s just laying somewhere.
I thought it will be just my MP3 Player, nothing special, but, heck, I started to love these things!
Next on my list will be an iPod Video - I’d replace the hard drive with mine, that’s also laying somewhere and is just collecting dust.
And I will probably buy the newest Nano, just for daily usage.
So, I know, I’m not a collector yet, but I wanna be.
Let me know if you need help, I just did this and had to replace everything essentially. I have a couple Frankenstein minis Rev 1 / 2.

Mormislaw

macrumors newbie
Aug 23, 2018
Poland
Let me know if you need help, I just did this and had to replace everything essentially. I have a couple Frankenstein minis Rev 1 / 2.
First of all - what is the best way to open the iPod? Should I warm up the plastic pieces? Should I use a plastic tool or a flathead screwdriver? Are there maybe more things that would help?

Jpoon

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2008
I used a Dyson hair dryer (because my wife is crazy) and iFixit tools. Patience is key and yes, it does need to be that hot for the adhesive to melt. Be careful - the top and bottom plastic pieces are very delicate. *EDIT* https://www.ifixit.com/Device/iPod_Mini - this has all the steps very plainly depicted.

Reactions: Mormislaw

Mormislaw

macrumors newbie
Aug 23, 2018
Poland
I used a Dyson hair dryer (because my wife is crazy) and iFixit tools. Patience is key and yes, it does need to be that hot for the adhesive to melt. Be careful - the top and bottom plastic pieces are very delicate. *EDIT* https://www.ifixit.com/Device/iPod_Mini - this has all the steps very plainly depicted.
Okay, so i replaced my battery along with my Microdrive. After putting it back together, my screen greeted me with the folder icon. I plugged it into my mac, to do a restore. I got an error 1429, tried on different mac - the same, Windows - error 1415. I tried to put back the original Microdrive, which contains the OS. It was not working. No ribbons are damaged. Can you please help me?

Jpoon

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2008
Okay, so i replaced my battery along with my Microdrive. After putting it back together, my screen greeted me with the folder icon. I plugged it into my mac, to do a restore. I got an error 1429, tried on different mac - the same, Windows - error 1415. I tried to put back the original Microdrive, which contains the OS. It was not working. No ribbons are damaged. Can you please help me?
Yes absolutely.

I'm assuming you triple checked reseating every cable? You might need to buy another 'for parts' cheapie iPod Mini to test all parts. I have ended up buying 6 Minis to get two working Minis at this point...
[doublepost=1536919343][/doublepost]I would use a cheap USB LED lit microscope to examine THE ENTIRE BOARD for irregularities. A helping hand desk tool would be great to hold the board while you use both hands to do other things. *EDIT* good luck good sir, this can be an exercise in patience, and capital spend... you pretty much get what you pay for on E-Bay these days (although there are plenty of unscrupulous people out there still...).

Mormislaw

macrumors newbie
Aug 23, 2018
Poland
Yes absolutely.

I'm assuming you triple checked reseating every cable? You might need to buy another 'for parts' cheapie iPod Mini to test all parts. I have ended up buying 6 Minis to get two working Minis at this point...
[doublepost=1536919343][/doublepost]I would use a cheap USB LED lit microscope to examine THE ENTIRE BOARD for irregularities. A helping hand desk tool would be great to hold the board while you use both hands to do other things. *EDIT* good luck good sir, this can be an exercise in patience, and capital spend... you pretty much get what you pay for on E-Bay these days (although there are plenty of unscrupulous people out there still...).
Yup, tried everything, I ended up buying an iPod Nano 5G for 20 bucks, however I'm still trying to fix the Mini

iChernov

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2013
Munich, Germany
Guys, does anybody have sealed iPod nanos 4th generation in 4GB capacity? Those are the last ones missing in my collection. I can consider ANY offer - could anybody help me? You can probably also spread the word... I would be very grateful!

MacRumorKenny

macrumors newbie
Dec 31, 2018
As many of you probably are, I too am an iPod collector. It's hard to explain the feeling of getting a new iPod, eventhough you know there's no need for it:rolleyes:

...my iPhone is pretty much the only thing that gets use nowadays, but I still find myself trying to find a way to get the next one :D

Here's a thread to that you can creatively show your precious collection. I for one have my collection displayed as such...

* COLLECTOR'S MODEL iPod: I have a "new" UNUSED iPod 15G Model # M9460LL/A - A Collector's item! Like New condition, with all accessories including original box & packaging. See attached Photos.
Any idea what it's worth? Are you interested??

Attachments

• iPod w accessories & box.jpg
    iPod w accessories & box.jpg
    263.9 KB · Views: 343
  • iPod w box back.jpg
    iPod w box back.jpg
    276.3 KB · Views: 317

tkermit

macrumors 68040
Feb 20, 2004
I'm not a collector per se, but mysteriously ended up with 4 fourth-generation (B&W) iPods somehow (20, 40, 64, and 256 GB respectively). I guess I got paranoid I'd eventually find myself without one as a backup...

It's funny. I went from a first-generation iPod to this one (~14 years ago), then had the 5th gen for a while, still have a first-gen Touch, but this is the one I ended up sticking with and is also the model that defines the iPod for me (except for the iconic first-generation one, which isn't really a practicable device anymore).

pods.jpg

mkg_stylectrical_apple2001ipod_fotoraacke.jpg

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.