Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

irishtike

macrumors member
Mar 9, 2011
I just got my 4th gen running again today, come to find out it reall only wants to charge with the original charger. Anyone else have that issue? An iPod only charging with the original charger and not anything else?

tkermit

macrumors 68040
Feb 20, 2004
I just got my 4th gen running again today, come to find out it reall only wants to charge with the original charger. Anyone else have that issue? An iPod only charging with the original charger and not anything else?
That may be due to a battery that's almost shot. I'm assuming you're talking about the Firewire charger (which uses higher voltages than USB)?

irishtike

macrumors member
Mar 9, 2011
That may be due to a battery that's almost shot. I'm assuming you're talking about the Firewire charger (which uses higher voltages than USB)?
No, it’s a usb charger, 5v at 1a. Made in 2005. And the battery holds a charge, just when it goes dead, it requires I use the OG charger for some reason, the iPod is just on of several of mine so I rotate it in and out of use

amethystjw

macrumors member
Aug 28, 2008
Livonia, MI
I'm about to sell my beautiful and beloved iPod collection. Does anyone here know of a good place to advertise the sale? eBay is my most likely bet, but it would be nice to avoid the horrendous fees they charge now.

Contact_Feanor

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2017
Belgium
I'm about to sell my beautiful and beloved iPod collection. Does anyone here know of a good place to advertise the sale? eBay is my most likely bet, but it would be nice to avoid the horrendous fees they charge now.
Which ones do you have for sale? Maybe Some of us are interested to arrange everything through here or mail or iMessage etc.

amethystjw

macrumors member
Aug 28, 2008
Livonia, MI
Which ones do you have for sale? Maybe Some of us are interested to arrange everything through here or mail or iMessage etc.

There are... a lot! What I consider "the collection" is the group of 19 shown in the attached photo. The photo isn't great despite my hour of meticulous effort. I plan to take much better close up photos of each one another day and can provide those upon request.

iPod Collection Final.jpg

This collection is made up of one specimen of each generation of non-iOS iPod. I've kept the batteries charged between 90% and 20% as much as possible, even leaving them to play an album or two immediately after an accidental full charge to bring down the charge to about 90%. This prolongs battery lifespan. I'm not including cables or chargers except where specified below. Specifically, from left to right starting in the back row, this is what I'm selling:

Model: iPod 1G (first generation)
Capacity: 5GB
Color: White
Condition: Amazing! I bought it new but never actually used it. It went right onto the stand in the photo and has been there ever since. I've connected it to a computer a few times but it's never left my house and is essentially perfect after about 18 years. This is, by far, the star of the collection. And yes, I was very stupid to remove it from the box and equally stupid to not even KEEP the box.
Notable issues: None

Model: iPod 2G
Capacity: 10GB
Condition: Very good. I bought it used on eBay where it was listed as a first generation iPod. The seller sent this instead, but I was happy to receive it since it was in such good condition. It has minor scuffs but is really nice.
Notable issues: None. Often the firewire port cover gets ripped off this model, but on mine it’s fully intact.

Model: iPod 3G
Capacity: 10GB
Condition: Very good. There are minor scuffs, but it’s in good shape. BUT, it’s engraved. The back says “chie Pod”. I bought it used many years ago and it came to me this way. Engravings suck, but this iPod was in such good condition that I just accepted it.
Notable issues: The engraving on the back

Model: iPod 4G
Capacity: 20GB
Condition: Good. This is one of the few I bought for myself to actually use when it was new. I used it for about a year and always kept it in a thick leather case. Unfortunately the case itself left rub marks on the plastic front. I’ve read that these can be buffed out but I was never brave enough to try. Regardless, it still looks beautiful. This happens to be my favorite iPod of the 19 models, for what that’s worth.
Notable issues: Scuffs from a leather case on the front plastic

Model: iPod Photo (aka 4.5G)
Capacity: 20GB
Condition: Poor. This is the only one in the collection that’s in bad condition. I never intended to add this model to my collection but received it by mistake when I ordered something else. The front and back are scratched and the scroll wheel only works intermittently. I disassembled it and found no obvious reason for this. (No loose ribbon cable, as I had hoped.) So I consider this one to be broken.
Notable issues: Scratches and intermittently-working scroll wheel.

Model: iPod 5G (aka 5.5G)
Capacity: 30
Condition: Excellent. I never used it, but bought it just to display. Note that this is the so-called 5.5G because it’s very slightly revised (brighter screen, better battery and has a search feature in the music function).
Notable issues: None.

Model: iPod 6G (aka classic)
Capacity: 120GB
Color: Black
Condition: Good. It’s scuffed on the back and a bit on the front, but looks nice. One of the corners of the black part is very slightly flattened, as if someone dropped it from a short distance, maybe onto a desk. It’s so minor that you probably won’t notice at first.
Notable issues: Scuffs and very slightly flattened corner.

Model: iPod mini 1G
Capacity: 4GB
Color: Gold
Condition: Good. The iPod looks great. The metal is in great condition with minor scuffs. The plastic ends are slightly scuffed but I don’t think this has ever been disassembled. (Disassembling one of these usually leaves the ends badly marred.) This is a rare gold iPod mini, which was a color only available on the first generation and was not a popular color. Note that some first generation minis suffered from audio problems, but this one is perfect. Its only issue is that the battery doesn’t hold much of a charge anymore. It’s not dead, but seems to have very little of its original capacity.
Notable issues: Battery is dying.

Model: iPod mini 2G
Color: Pink
Condition: Excellent! This iPod has barely left the house. I bought it new for my wife (now ex-wife) and she almost never used it. When we split up I traded her my TV, bed, kitchen cutlery and a night stand for this.

Model: iPod nano 1G
Capacity: 2GB
Condition: Very minor scuffs on the back, probably from a case. (I bought it used.)
Notable issues: No issues, but note that this iPod is super rare because Apple had a recall program in place for a few years that allowed people to send in their old iPod nano 1G and get a new 6G in return. Loads of people did this and the 1Gs were presumably destroyed by Apple. Also note that the recall was related to battery fires. This one has obviously not combusted in the decade that I’ve had it!

Model: iPod nano 2G
Color: Green
Condition: Excellent. This model has sharp edges on the colored (anodized) aluminum so the tiniest scuffs or marks show up as silver marks. This one has a few of those but they’re really tiny. Overall you’ll love this one.

Model: iPod nano 3G
Color: Silver
Condition: Excellent. This one has never left the house and is beautiful on the front and back.

Model: iPod nano 4G
Capacity: 8GB
Color: Orange
Condition: Fair. Upon first inspection it looks gorgeous, but then you notice the corner where I dropped it… onto concrete. It’s not a big mark, but it’s ugly on the upper left corner. This was my primary iPod for a few months and I dropped it and nearly cried. I’ve also recently noticed discoloration on the screen when the battery is very low. I think the battery may be swelling a little bit and putting pressure on the display. When I charge it the discoloration goes away.
Notable issues: Dented corner and possibly swelling battery

Model: iPod nano 5G
Color: Blue
Condition: Excellent. This is another one that almost never left the house and has just been part of the collection its whole life. It’s really, really nice.
Notable issues: None.

Model: iPod nano 6G
Condition: Excellent. This was one of the replacements Apple was sending out to replace iPod nano 1G units that were recalled. Yes, I stupidly sent in a 1G. I never actually used this, so it has just been on a shelf now for many years.

Model: iPod shuffle 1G
Capacity: 512MB
Condition: Excellent. This was my wife’s, but she never used it. Ever. Not even once. It spent its whole life in a silicone case and has essentially no scratches on it. I removed it from the case to take this photo and put it right back. The battery seems to hold a good charge, which is unusual for a first generation iPod shuffle.

Model: iPod shuffle 2G
Condition: Excellent. There’s hardly a scuff mark anywhere on this. I used it only a few times but never dropped it and you can tell that it was well loved. This one requires a weird cable/dock to charge it, so I’ll include that.

Model: iPod shuffle 3G
Color: Black
Condition: Fair. I bought it used and it came with scuffs as if it had been in a pocket with coins or keys. I’m making it sound worse than it is though. It seems to hold a good charge. This one requires a weird headphone-jack charge cable, so I’ll include that.
Notable issues: None, but this is a very odd model. You have to use the headphone controls to play/pause/skip and I'm not including any. To make matters worse, the newer-style "EarPods" don't seem to work well with this unless you pull out the plug a tiny bit. It's not defective; it's just that it was designed to work with the older style earbuds.

Model: iPod shuffle 4G
Color: Orange
Condition: Excellent. I used it a few times around the house but never dropped it and it has no scuffs or dents. Again, it requires a special charge cable, so I'll include that.

The white plastic stands are all Apple-made "iPod docks". I had to improvise for most of the iPod nanos because Apple didn't make docks for the nano after the second generation, as far as I know. The clear plastic stand holding the nano 6G is actually the stand that came with a first generation iPod touch, which I sold separately years ago. The raised stands holding the iPod 1G and 2G were custom made for this collection by someone who makes guitars. He made the circular bases out of wood and painted and polished them so they resemble thick plastic. The metal parts are welded rod painted black. As much as I hate to let all the extras go, I'm including ALL the stands in the sale.

I really don't want to break up this collection, and don't intend to. But I have some duplicates that I haven't mentioned. This post is already super long so just ask if there's something you're looking for in particular and I can send a description. Those are iPod 1G, iPod 2G, iPod 3G, iPod 4G, iPod mini 2G, iPod nano 5G, iPod nano 6G, iPod shuffle 1G.

Setting a price for the collection is hard, so I decided on the bare minimum that each was worth on the open market, added 15% for the stands and the fact that it's a complete set, and arrived at $966. Shipping will be $40 to anywhere in the continental USA. For other destinations we'll have to do a little research. I'll be very sure to package it all extremely carefully for shipping.

Let me know if you're interested in this, and if you know someone else who may be interested, please spread the word. I'll be happy to answer questions and send you specific photos or serial numbers or whatever you want.

amethystjw

macrumors member
Aug 28, 2008
Livonia, MI
Never saw a similar dummy again till now. Were there dummies of „all“ iPods at their time?

I’m intrigued. Is a dummy a non-functional display unit, like Target stores used to put out on display? If that’s the case and you’re saying my third gen iPod is one, that’s not true. You can see its screen in the photo.

micadeskin

macrumors newbie
Mar 11, 2019
New Jersey
As many of you probably are, I too am an iPod collector. It's hard to explain the feeling of getting a new iPod, eventhough you know there's no need for it:rolleyes:

...my iPhone is pretty much the only thing that gets use nowadays, but I still find myself trying to find a way to get the next one :D

Here's a thread to that you can creatively show your precious collection. I for one have my collection displayed as such...
Hi do you have some ipod to trade or sell?

Reactions: SigEp265

chrizkro

macrumors newbie
Feb 23, 2019
Near Cologne/Germany
So, since my collection continued to grow, I bought some display units in Ikea. Today an original Apple Store display unit with 3rd gen iPod Nanos that I ordered online arrived in the mail and I immediately put it dab center .

View attachment 835942 View attachment 835944

Very nice collection!
A similar Display unit with 3rd gen Nanos is for sale here in Germany, but the seller asks about 300,- € for it.

Reactions: Jimbob1961

VirtuallyInsane

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2018
I recently started collecting Classic iPods, since I'd wanted a 5.5 G for a while. I sorta went on a binge and started collecting some more of these guys. Fascinating pieces of technology for their time. (Yeah, I'll take a pic some other time but not now at 4am.)

Classics:
- 3rd Gen 40GB (yes, it's a big, thick brick- I affectionately nicknamed it 'OG Fatass' when I got it).
- 5.5 Gen 30GB (in white).
- 6th Gen 80GB (the slim one, not like the big 160GB one of the first release).

Nanos:
- 1st Gen iPod Nano 2GB (has original packaging but missing some accessories).
- 3rd Gen iPod Nano 8GB (works well, sounds good).

Minis:
- iPod Mini 2nd Gen 6GB (coming sometime this week).

No Shuffles (yet).

Touches:
- 1st Gen 16GB (good for music and running vintage games)
- 2x 4th Gen 8GB (one is white, I actually still have the package for that and the other is black).
- 5th Gen 16GB (nothing special about it, other than it runs iOS 7?)
- 2 x 6th Gen (one 16GB and one 32GB, still have the package for the 32GB, I think?)

PS: If anyone has an 8GB iPod Nano 2nd Gen, 5.5 gen 80GB or a 160GB 7th Gen Classic and is selling any of those, I'd be more than happy to take a look (it's kinda hard to find those in good condition with decent battery life for a fair price on EBay sometimes).

Jimbob1961

macrumors newbie
Sep 10, 2019
As many of you probably are, I too am an iPod collector. It's hard to explain the feeling of getting a new iPod, eventhough you know there's no need for it:rolleyes:

...my iPhone is pretty much the only thing that gets use nowadays, but I still find myself trying to find a way to get the next one :D

Here's a thread to that you can creatively show your precious collection. I for one have my collection displayed as such...

I am in the process of putting a iPod collection together for the purpose of exhibiting in my home. I noticed the great way that all you iPods are on stands, & wondered where u got the stands from or are they home made.

Jimbob1961

macrumors newbie
Sep 10, 2019

[doublepost=1568138820][/doublepost]I am in the process of putting a iPod collection together for the purpose of exhibiting in my home. I noticed the great way that all you iPods are on stands, & wondered where u got the stands from or are they home made.

iPodcollector

macrumors member
Aug 5, 2009
[doublepost=1568138820][/doublepost]I am in the process of putting a iPod collection together for the purpose of exhibiting in my home. I noticed the great way that all you iPods are on stands, & wondered where u got the stands from or are they home made.

I bought from one of the users on this forum, but you will find great acrylic stands also on ebay..

Jimbob1961

macrumors newbie
Sep 10, 2019
Many thanks for that I'll have a look.
Loved looking through all the great collections on here. Hope to be able to post a few pics of mine some time in the future ,when its all up, after all the house renovation work.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.