Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hancuriang

macrumors regular
Jan 17, 2019
For average consumers yes, but it depends on whether they’re willing to actually learn using it. Truly average consumers won’t know how to use split screen/dragging files and links for example. Office apps also work differently but they cover basic functionalities though for students who need to do papers, I’d say iPads aren’t that capable. Also i personally think to use iPads to write you’ll need to invest in a separate keyboard.

For professionals, it depends on what they do on their laptop... it covers my needs well so I only open my macbook like once a month but my macbook is obsolete so I guess that’s also a factor. I have had problems with editing existing documents and spreadsheets (weird formatting and missing fonts) but now that you are supposed to be able to use web version of google apps and install fonts maybe it will solve the problem... but I won’t be delusional, a lot of people definitely don’t think iPads alone are sufficient bc of the numbers of supporting apps. I don’t think just the ability to read/write to external drives is going to fully convert people to iPads if the apps they need aren’t available. Besides from what I’ve seen, copying files to external drives still generates error messages so I don’t think it will be perfect.

In the end, people need to realize, people who use laptops to surf webs and listen to music exist. ipads are definitely a laptop replacement for them. They are super portable and have a far bigger screen than mobile phones. But logically, iPads aren’t a laptop replacement yet if we compared it to actual laptops, mac and windows, because it runs less apps needed in professional settings. So I don’t think people who have neither should choose iPads just bc they say it can be a laptop replacement.

Ps: I actually didn’t plan to ditch my laptop, it’s just I naturally open my laptop far less often since I got myself an iPad Pro... shrugs... I used my laptop to draw so I guess it’s just natural since my iPP can do the same. Now that I look at my laptop again (2010 MPB) it’s amazing how ancient it looks compared to iPP lol

Reactions: Ghost31

Mainsail

macrumors 68020
Sep 19, 2010
Certainly there are people that can operate effectively with just an iPad. It really depends on user requirements. iPadOS will increase the number of people that can take the leap, but many folks will prefer to stick with a laptop. For example, my son is going aware to university this fall, and he will be taking a MBA, not an iPad.

Actually, Apple has done a pretty good thing here. While they have made the iPad much more capable and more practical as a stand alone device, they have also given us more reason to own both a Mac and an iPad by implementing SideCar and Catalyst.

Well Done :apple:!

Reactions: Ghost31

lparsons21

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2014
Southern Illinois
I only have one application that I prefer on a Mac vice an iPad. ICompTA checkbook/finance manager. It works on the iPad but the UI is just enough different to not be as handy.

Macalway

macrumors 68040
Aug 7, 2013
Maybe. This must be of some concern to Apple also: They sell more iPads, while iPad sales cannibalize MacBook sales.
But I think it's a win-win for them. I'm not going to replace anything, just use both.

Last edited:

augustya

Suspended
Feb 17, 2012
Why not google search a bit and post your reasons here instead of throwing the ball back to the other side, the asker?

Who should do a google search ? A person seeking information and clarification, or a person suggesting something ?

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
Hmm. I'm seeing lots of coders replying to this thread. What about non-coders? I'm an academic, and interested like the OP in replacing a laptop. In terms of writing, organizing files, doing archival work (scanning/cataloguing and analyzing), writing articles... I think we are a bit closer. I'd have to try the mouse support in 'accessibility' once the iPadOS public beta hits, but it's looking more promising.
As an instructor/teacher, I see nothing with the new features added to iPad OS that make the iPad more of a laptop replacement than it was with iOS 12.

ascender

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2005
I won’t lie, for me, one of the things that has stopped me from replacing my Macbook with an iPad is because of having to keep touching the screen for certain things, no matter how many keyboard shortcuts I learn. So its definitely a big step in the right direction for me.

All we need now is an Apple or Brydge keyboard cover with a trackpad built-in!

nStyle

macrumors 65816
Dec 6, 2009
Some uses cases, yes, and this was always the case.

But no, not even close in the most demanding of use cases.

And a proper mouse/keyboard setup is always going to lend itself to higher productivity.

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
It certainly opens up the use cases a bit more to be able to have multiple instances of apps running - there's still cases where floating window might be more convenient, though probably on the 15" and up screen sizes as there's only so much you can juggle on a 13" anyway.

cardfan

macrumors 601
Mar 23, 2012
Nope sorry. It was never about mouse support. It’s always been iOS and limited apps. Nothing really changes with iOS 13.

rowspaxe

macrumors 68020
Jan 29, 2010
I suppose we are half way there. Files improvements with folder looks good. Unclear to me is whether there will be free disk on the ipad to save files locally. I found the new browser super clunky, but that
might be refined

Next year Apple will likely introduce mouse/trackpad support. Redesigning the smart cover to incorporate a trackpad will be a challenge. At that point ipad will be a passable hybid and perhaps a laptop replacement for many. I really don't think it needs full laptop capablility--just raise the bar to be a usable supplementary device

Reactions: eltoslightfoot

MrRabuf

macrumors regular
Jan 2, 2019
Does coding on a laptop matter as much these days? A lot of developers are now working in the cloud (private or public), and there are web based UIs and IDEs for many programming tasks.

It very much still matters. I'm sure there are folks who are ok developing in the cloud but it's not the norm. Developing directly on a local computer isn't going anywhere anytime soon.

DragonX

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2013
Does coding on a laptop matter as much these days? A lot of developers are now working in the cloud (private or public), and there are web based UIs and IDEs for many programming tasks.

Absolutely yes. Web IDEs and UIs are limited especially when you code for the desktop you're working on - it's impossible on the iPad. (Also they require constant Internet connection, when you work with a lot of data you're screwed when there's no WiFi).

Normal IDEs on the iPad are mostly a joke, or what Apple calls it - a playground. You can play but serious coding? No. .

I would say iPad won't replace a desktop in the foreseeable future. It should take years and years more for serious software to be ported to the iPad. And years more for Apple to admit and solve their incredible number of recent manufacturing problems.

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
Absolutely yes. Web IDEs and UIs are limited especially when you code for the desktop you're working on - it's impossible on the iPad. (Also they require constant Internet connection, when you work with a lot of data you're screwed when there's no WiFi).

Normal IDEs on the iPad are mostly a joke, or what Apple calls it - a playground. You can play but serious coding? No. .

I would say iPad won't replace a desktop in the foreseeable future. It should take years and years more for serious software to be ported to the iPad. And years more for Apple to admit and solve their incredible number of recent manufacturing problems.

Interesting. Must be the type of coding I do, ML/AI and enterprise level. Almost never code for PC or Macs, targets are servers, Android, Web. All of these have good web/cloud based development environments.

petvas

macrumors 603
Jul 20, 2006
Munich, Germany
The answer is definitely not. It’s getting closer though, but to be honest I don’t believe that a tablet will ever replace a laptop. It’s a different form factor and that is not changing any time soon. There are also many other issues that are not solved:
  • Productivity apps are very limited on the iPad. Desktop apps are much more powerful (most of the time)
  • No real mouse support as in macOS (it will never happen)
  • Connecting external monitors sucks big time. It just mirrors the screen and black bars appear left and right
  • Working with a touch based tablet for extended periods of time is tiring.
I can see though that for some people the iPad can become their only computing device. People that need laptop functionality will always prefer laptops.

Reactions: Ghost31 and DragonX

bensisko

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2002
The Village
So with the new ipadOS are we at a point for most people that an iPad can replace a MacBook or laptop. Wanted to get some opinions.

As an enthusiastic supporter of the idea this has been possible (for some people) for a long time, I don’t understand the sentiment that the announcements change anything towards this (for better or worse).

Don’t get me wrong - great stuff, but I don’t see this as a significant change that would change the critics mind.

Reactions: ericwn and muzzy996

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
For my work I need Windows software that are not even available on Mac. If ipad could run virtual machines like virtualbox then it would change almost everything... But I doubt it would happen any time soon...
However for now I use remote desktop on the go (I have LTE) and my IPP 9.7 is my on the go device.
But I do hope to be able to do more and more with my ipads

Reactions: a_politis

DragonX

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2013
Interesting. Must be the type of coding I do, ML/AI and enterprise level. Almost never code for PC or Macs, targets are servers, Android, Web. All of these have good web/cloud based development environments.

Yeah, this is interesting. I worked in ML/AI field as well. What remote environments are you using on the iPad? Is it Jupiter? What is the language you're coding on?

From my experience: I tried Jupiter/Python many times and it never worked reliably for me on limited iOS Safari browser or Juno (not mentioning C/C++, tried it too, there are no fast remote environments at all, only Desktop). Also resolution of the iPad is too small to hold and visualize all the data.

spudWorks

macrumors member
Aug 27, 2018
Hamburg, Germany
I would say, if what the keynote showed comes true, that 40% of my job could be done on the iPad now.

I am, what the Germans call, Selbständig (self-employed) and as a contractor, a lot of the business that I do is really customer management. I need to send emails, check things that are reported, do quick fixes, etc. All of this, and more, I've already done on my 9.7" iPad Pro with things like Prompt, Working Copy, Textastic, Mail, etc.

Remember, as a contractor, sometimes half the job is just promising when it will be delivered, even if it's the next day and that can be handled via email... Plus, with the iPad Pro, I often get an email, unfold the ASK, respond to it, and then go back to watching Last Kingdom for the tenth time. Unlike my MacBook Pro, opening it up and possibly finding power for it, doesn't feel like work so I probably answer more work emails in my "off" time than I did before I had it.

With the changes that they've promised for iPadOS, I think I could get that 40% done with even more ease. I can unzip files, move things about... I do honestly think it'll be easier. I could make minor changes to websites I support a lot more easily and a lot faster.

Do I think this will replace the other 60% of my job? No. Not at all. I wouldn't start a new software development project on any iPad. Even if iPad had XCode support, I don't know that I'd like to code on it. And I certainly wouldn't do a new web project exclusively on it.

But... 80/20 rule... I found customer support to fall into the 20% that I found hard or undesirable to do. Now, I find it much easier and am better at doing it. And this was after having been a freelancer for close on 16 years by the time I got my Baby Pro. So, even if I can't do my primary job with it, I can do my tertiary tasks with it much better.

Also, I've found, I prefer to use it for recreational things as well. I just finished a novel last week that was entirely written on the iPad Pro. So... for everyone who thinks it's mainly for content consumption, consider that I don't just support various websites with it (and have across the world) but I've also managed to put 118,000 words of story into it as well.

So, no. The iPad won't be my main work device. But it'll probably still hold pride of placement for just about everything else.

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
Yeah, this is interesting. I worked in ML/AI field as well. What remote environments are you using on the iPad? Is it Jupiter? What is the language you're coding on?

From my experience: I tried Jupiter/Python many times and it never worked reliably for me on limited iOS Safari browser or Juno (not mentioning C/C++, tried it too, there are no fast remote environments at all, only Desktop). Also resolution of the iPad is too small to hold and visualize all the data.

I am using jupyter. I use Chrome as my browser. I usually use the Colab environment version of jupyter, colab.research.google.com, for experimentation. I deploy to Google Cloud Service, Azure, or AWS.

Coding in Python mostly, with the occasion bit in R.

I have only done a little bit on the iPad, but I have considered getting a 12" iPad pro for more screen real estate. But thought without a mouse it would be too much of a pain. But now that mouse support is there I am reconsidering the possibilities. I would love to not have to carry my 15" MPB around.

Last edited:
Reactions: DragonX and Mhotep

kloppdroptop

macrumors newbie
Apr 18, 2019
I just replaced my old MacBook with a new iPad Air. I didn’t use the MacBook for any work, just personal web, media, basic pages numbers etc. I used iMovie once or twice.

The iPad is better for me. My iPad has better battery life, syncs with iPhone better, is easier to travel with, and has a better screen. It also cost much less than new MacBook so that was nice. The Apple Pencil is cool too.

Both Macs and iPads have advantages, and I will admit the iPad can’t do somethings my MacBook could. But I’m ok without it. And my iPad is more my style, and I love it for reading books.

I’d compare an iPad to a MacBook like motorcycles to cars. Cars clearly can do more, have clear advantages, some disadvantages too, and cost more. A motorcycle typically can’t replace a car, but it can for some. It depends on one’s needs.

And now with iPadOS, and future updates to it, the iPad will only get closer to the capability of a Mac. So I’m optimistic.

With Sidecar in Catalina, iPads can now at least definitively replace a Mac display if you have a Mac to power it. But to me sidecar proves a key point. They shouldn’t replace each other, but improve each other. Macs, iPads, iPhones, Watches, and TVs should all work together, not replace themselves. iPads and Macs work best together, and ideally everyone can have each device to use. I just got an Apple Watch this year and I’ve learned to enjoy it. It’s really good at what it does, and my iPhone is better with it. I see the iPhone & Watch relationship like Mac & iPad, better together, but different.

Reactions: Ghost31 and boolCan

Fattytail

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2012
The fact that iPads will now have a desktop class browser brings my iPad that much closer to acting as a laptop replacement. Too many limitations with the mobile Safari browser for me to rely on an iPad, but that all changes with iPadOS.

Having support for USB drives also is a big big step forward. I’d venture a guess that for most people, these two things will go a very long ways.

• Love
Reactions: Vivian125
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.