Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

StrollerEd

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2011
Scotland
Everyone's workflow is different. I can do about 90% of my core, non-day job stuff on an iPad. Some of that remaining 10% may never happen. I don't expect a full version of AutoCad, Tableau, or Calibre to work on iPad.

The new iPadOS does remove some of the barriers. Being able to connect to servers, USB drives, and being able to just move SD card photos to a specific app, or just offload them to a folder in Files is huge.

How do you achieve that connectivity, moving files etc, between iPad and MPB/iPhone? As explained in thread I've just started, I am about to buy an iPad - likely the iPad Air 3 but I'm also considering the iPad Pro 2017 - and have iPhone 7 (with lightening) and MBP 2015 (with USB 3). Also, what is recommended by way of keyboard?

aevan

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2015
Serbia
No. I much prefer my MBA and don't own an iPad. I use my MBA in conjunction with an iMac and have no desire for an iPad, even with the upcoming changes.

While for some workflows an iPad certainly can't replace a Mac (and vice versa), I think you're confusing your personal preference with objective possibility. You have no desire for an iPad, and that's fine. But does that mean it can't replace a laptop for many people? No, because it can - and with iPadOS more so than ever.

mollyc

macrumors 604
Aug 18, 2016
While for some workflows an iPad certainly can't replace a Mac (and vice versa), I think you're confusing your personal preference with objective possibility. You have no desire for an iPad, and that's fine. But does that mean it can't replace a laptop for many people? No, because it can - and with iPadOS more so than ever.

No, I'm not confusing anything. The question was, "Can we finally say an iPad can replace a laptop/MacBook?" Maybe *some* people can use an iPad in place of a laptop, but others cannot or do not want to. An iPad is not equal to a laptop. They are similar in some ways, but even leaving out personal preference, an iPad cannot do everything a laptop can, even with the new iPadOS. Is the *possibility* there, as you say? Sure. But possibility is not the same as actuality.

Brammy

macrumors 68000
Sep 17, 2008
How do you achieve that connectivity, moving files etc, between iPad and MPB/iPhone?

I use iCloud Drive and Dropbox. I am not often without a network connection so the lack of being able to truly have an offline cache of my iCloud files isn't a deal-breaker.

Reactions: Ghost31

aevan

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2015
Serbia

No, I'm not confusing anything. The question was, "Can we finally say an iPad can replace a laptop/MacBook?" Maybe *some* people can use an iPad in place of a laptop, but others cannot or do not want to. An iPad is not equal to a laptop. They are similar in some ways, but even leaving out personal preference, an iPad cannot do everything a laptop can, even with the new iPadOS. Is the *possibility* there, as you say? Sure. But possibility is not the same as actuality.

Yes, iPad can’t do everything a laptop does. Also, a laptop can’t do everything an iPad does. It also can’t do everything a desktop does and a desktop can’t do everything a laptop does. That is not in question. The question was: can it replace a laptop for some people? And the answer is - yes. For some people, it can. And your response was: “I prefer a Mac”.

So how does that make sense considering the question? Now, if the question was: “does @mollyc prefer a MacBook to an iPad?”, then your answer would apply.

Not anymore than any previous release of iOS.

This isn't a binary hard line. There is no universally acceptable definition of what requires a laptop and what can be done with a tablet.

They're two different form-factors with different strengths and weaknesses. The priorities of these strengths and weaknesses are very unique and personal to the individual person.

A very good answer, though I would say iOS 13 will increase (if only slightly) the number of individuals that, in fact, can use an iPad instead of a laptop.

mollyc

macrumors 604
Aug 18, 2016
Yes, iPad can’t do everything a laptop does. Also, a laptop can’t do everything an iPad does. It also can’t do everything a desktop does and a desktop can’t do everything a laptop does. That is not in question. The question was: can it replace a laptop for some people? And the answer is - yes. For some people, it can. And your response was: “I prefer a Mac”.

So how does that make sense considering the question? Now, if the question was: “does @mollyc prefer a MacBook to an iPad?”, then your answer would apply.

A very good answer, though I would say iOS 13 will increase (if only slightly) the number of individuals that, in fact, can use an iPad instead of a laptop.

The implication in the OP's original question is that an iPad should now be able to replace a laptop. The wording further implies that it an iPad should replace a laptop for *everyone.* It cannot. So no, "we" cannot say that an iPad replaces a laptop. It has nothing to do with personal preference, even though my preference is a MacBook. In some instances an iPad may perform as well or better than a laptop. I don't dispute that. But even my 11 YO realizes the differences between the two and says they are not interchangeable.

I fully acknowledge that for some people an iPad is the only device they may ever need. But it still does not replace the functions of a laptop. Someday, maybe. But not today.

Brammy

macrumors 68000
Sep 17, 2008
It cannot. So no, "we" cannot say that an iPad replaces a laptop.

For some reason, the iPad is derides for not being able to [task name]. Other computers and platforms aren't. What is import is: can task x be done on a given device? I use Ulysses as my main writing platform. It's not on Windows. Therefore, a Windows Laptop isn't a replacement for my MacBook. My day job I use Visio. Visio isn't on the Mac, so a MacBook isn't a replacement for my Windows laptop. Large CAD packages don't work on the Mac.

Not all devices can do all tasks. If a device can't do a task, and that task is important, we need to find a task that works for that.

iPadOS at least eliminates some of the common complaints. Being able to connect USB devices and connect to servers at least eliminates a pain point a common complaint with iPads. Same with being able to have multiple app windows.

PeterJP

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2012
Leuven, Belgium
I'm an academic, and interested like the OP in replacing a laptop. In terms of writing, organizing files, doing archival work (scanning/cataloguing and analyzing), writing articles... I think we are a bit closer

For research, better file management and a decent, multi-window browser (so 2 instances in split view) are a big step forward. I've spent hours researching in one browser window, while taking notes in another. File management is obvious (photos, articles, ...)

This must be of some concern to Apple also: They sell more iPads, while iPad sales cannibalize MacBook sales.

That never was an argument for Apple. Their motto is: let's cannibalise ourselves before somebody else cannibalises us.

Normal IDEs on the iPad are mostly a joke, or what Apple calls it - a playground. You can play but serious coding? No. .

The iPad needs a killer visual IDE like HyperCard.

The implication in the OP's original question is that an iPad should now be able to replace a laptop. The wording further implies that it an iPad should replace a laptop for *everyone.* It cannot.

Exactly. The premise is wrong. If I look at what my iPad Pro 11" replaces, it's not really the laptop. Rather, it replaces my notebook. I jot down notes in GoodNotes and I'm able to search through my handwritten notes, not only on the iPad but also on my Mac. I do several things on my iPad that I can also do on my mac, and I'm looking forward to doing more on it. Possibly, it would allow me to replace my Macbook Pro with a mac desktop. But I will still need a traditional computer, for the screen real estate and keyboard-mouse interaction that improve how I can work with applications that also exist on the iPad (productivity, photo management, browsing, ...). Aside from that, there are applications that don't exist on the iPad (virtual machines...)

Reactions: DragonX

rosyapple

macrumors regular
Mar 25, 2018
Interesting. Must be the type of coding I do, ML/AI and enterprise level. Almost never code for PC or Macs, targets are servers, Android, Web. All of these have good web/cloud based development environments.

I code locally on my computer as a full-stack / web and Swift developer. I'm currently living and studying in Europe and there are times I'm not connected to the web because my university's internet is unavailable. It's also quite troublesome to connect to the university's internet since they are using captive login and it disconnects me every 2 hours (it's annoying as hell). Then again, even when I'm at home with all-day internet connection, I still prefer to code locally due to the convenience of using software such as CodeKit, Xcode and Sublime Text. I can't find any web-based software that can compete with these.

It would be nice to be able to code iPad apps on an iPad ;) iPad needs serious coding support for it to be considered as a laptop replacement for quite a number of people. I think what I'd really want is a MacBookPro (13 inch or less) with a detachable keyboard or an iPad running MacOS that supports touch

Last edited:

petvas

macrumors 603
Jul 20, 2006
Munich, Germany
The implication in the OP's original question is that an iPad should now be able to replace a laptop. The wording further implies that it an iPad should replace a laptop for *everyone.* It cannot. So no, "we" cannot say that an iPad replaces a laptop. It has nothing to do with personal preference, even though my preference is a MacBook. In some instances an iPad may perform as well or better than a laptop. I don't dispute that. But even my 11 YO realizes the differences between the two and says they are not interchangeable.

I fully acknowledge that for some people an iPad is the only device they may ever need. But it still does not replace the functions of a laptop. Someday, maybe. But not today.
Never is a big word, but I think that a tablet will never replace a laptop.

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
Not anymore than any previous release of iOS.
I agree with your main point that it depends on the person, but iOS 13 actually enables a new class of user to go iPad only.

There were two major new features that enable new things - desktop class Safari (I've tried it, and sites that are typically busted on mobile/iPad now work fine, like a Mac) and external storage support (including SMB.) This means people can share files to other users/computers without jumping through hoops, import their old data easily, and finally import photos/videos without having to send them through the photos app.

That plus multi-window support for apps makes iPadOS much more capable for a lot of power users.

Greenmeenie

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2013
I have been saying this for awhile. I ditched my macbook and went ipad only years ago. Now with the improvements in iOS 13, i feel even more strongly about how it’s totally possible to ditch the laptop.

Just being able to hook up an external HD alone makes it worthy... But there are so many nice changes in iOS 13 that i am looking forward to.

The iPad may still not be a laptop replacement for some people, but i think for most it can be if they just opened themselves up to trying something new. I did. And i am a professional artist who also writes and does all his work on the ipad. So it is totally possible.
[doublepost=1559832548][/doublepost]
Never is a big word, but I think that a tablet will never replace a laptop.

Um...You forgot to qualify your statement with “for YOU”. Because the ipad HAS indeed already replaced the laptop for tens of thousands of people. Not just casual web surfers or netflix watchers...but for professional artists, writers & business people.

Reactions: EedyBeedyBeeps

MUWarrior10

macrumors member
May 7, 2014
Chicago
Hmm. I'm seeing lots of coders replying to this thread. What about non-coders? I'm an academic, and interested like the OP in replacing a laptop. In terms of writing, organizing files, doing archival work (scanning/cataloguing and analyzing), writing articles... I think we are a bit closer. I'd have to try the mouse support in 'accessibility' once the iPadOS public beta hits, but it's looking more promising.

Agreed. If the ‘accessibility’ mouse feature is usable that will be a giant leap forward in my ipad replacing my MBP. Personally, the external storage support is going to be a game changer for me.

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
I code locally on my computer as a full-stack / web and Swift developer. I'm currently living and studying in Europe and there are times I'm not connected to the web because my university's internet is unavailable. It's also quite troublesome to connect to the university's internet since they are using captive login and it disconnects me every 2 hours (it's annoying as hell). Then again, even when I'm at home with all-day internet connection, I still prefer to code locally due to the convenience of using software such as CodeKit, Xcode and Sublime Text. I can't find any web-based software that can compete with these.

It would be nice to be able to code iPad apps on an iPad ;) iPad needs serious coding support for it to be considered as a laptop replacement for quite a number of people. I think what I'd really want is a MacBookPro (13 inch or less) with a detachable keyboard or an iPad running MacOS that supports touch

Unless XCode has changed a lot I think even a laptop is a bit limited. I found it frustrating to try to squeeze things into my 15" MBP display. XCode has a lot of visual tools and of course there is the app interface. So I typically used an external monitor when I coded in Objective C a lot.

I am fortunate and have internet connectivity at almost all times. I could see in you limited access scenario how working locally would be a priority. And I am curious if you use tools like StackBlitz and others to do your front end work. Most of the Angular and ReactJs developers I know love it.

Also, I am a bit surprised that a university would have poor wifi access. I wonder how researchers at the school do their work with such issues. And how does the facility expects their students do research for paper assignments, coding, etc. Stack Overflow has solved many a frustrated student's issues.

Last edited:

boolCan

macrumors newbie
Sep 3, 2018
singapore
I use my laptop for Pages, Numbers and desktop browsing. With desktop browsing, and if i go online with Office365 (for the feature set), I could replace the laptop. One unknown is the ergonomics, how much of a difference does the mouse support help when editing a spreadsheet.

Edit: I also use uBlock, that would be hard to replace.

petvas

macrumors 603
Jul 20, 2006
Munich, Germany
I have been saying this for awhile. I ditched my macbook and went ipad only years ago. Now with the improvements in iOS 13, i feel even more strongly about how it’s totally possible to ditch the laptop.

Just being able to hook up an external HD alone makes it worthy... But there are so many nice changes in iOS 13 that i am looking forward to.

The iPad may still not be a laptop replacement for some people, but i think for most it can be if they just opened themselves up to trying something new. I did. And i am a professional artist who also writes and does all his work on the ipad. So it is totally possible.
[doublepost=1559832548][/doublepost]

Um...You forgot to qualify your statement with “for YOU”. Because the ipad HAS indeed already replaced the laptop for tens of thousands of people. Not just casual web surfers or netflix watchers...but for professional artists, writers & business people.
Yes, for me. To be honest I find it very hard to believe that all these people that say that they use the iPad as their primary computer, that they don't have a desktop computer also.

spiderman0616

Suspended
Aug 1, 2010
For some people, the iPad replaced their laptop/desktop 9 years ago. For others it was 5 years ago. For others it was 3 years ago. For others it was last year. For others it was never. It depends on the person. But also, I feel like "Does it replace the Mac?" is, and always has been, the wrong question. Nobody who wants to use a Mac needs a device to replace their Mac. They'll just use their Mac.

If you're keen on using the iPad as your main computer, the only real question you should be asking is "Does the iPad work for ME as MY main computer?" If you're trying to figure that out, I'd say the absolute LAST thing you should do is come here and ask. It would be much better to do some research online (I'd say most answers could probably be found on Apple's iPad site or on some of the more Apple-centric blogs), try the features on a real iPad in the store and see if you like them, and go from there.

Whether your prefer to use a Mac or an iPad to get your work done, there will always be 1000 people on the Macrumors forums lining up to tell you what a moron you are, so this is not a good place to go if you want to feel good about your choices. With the release of iPadOS, the people who constantly deride the iPad as not being a work device will just continue to move the goal posts to support their arguments. Yes, it definitely takes care of some of the low hanging fruit that people have been complaining about for years, but they'll find more complaints. For some reason, the very existence of the iPad Pro seems to threaten peoples' Mac user-ness.

Me personally--these days all I need is my iPad Pro. I have a work Mac, but only use it because I'm required to. Wouldn't care if it was gone and wouldn't buy my own to replace it. And I'm not a "content consumer". I do high end photo editing in Affinity Photo, art creation in Procreate, music notation in Notion, video editing in LumaFusion, audio editing in Ferrite, documents in Office 365/iWork, the list goes on and on. It's my ideal computer, and something I've day dreamed about having since I was a kid.

jmarttu24

macrumors member
Oct 31, 2017
not until i can download programs directly to it. it is moving in the right direction though

petvas

macrumors 603
Jul 20, 2006
Munich, Germany
It is also about expectations and requirements. I want for example to have a Mail client with support for smart folders and I also use rules excessively. Please someone tell me how I can do that on an iPad. As long as Apple (or other developers) do not decide to develop such an app, the iPad will be handicapped in my eyes at least.
As long as Microsoft is not bringing Macro support in Excel on the iPad, I will not be able to use Excel for my various sizing calculators (Exchange Server, DPM, etc). I understand that my requirements are not also other people's requirements, so I can only talk about me. Nothing from the things that Apple announced this week changed the situation for me. They improved the OS and that is great, but the apps I want to use are still too basic on the iPad.

UltimateSyn

macrumors 601
Mar 3, 2008
Massachusetts
I wonder if 3rd party manufacturers will create keyboard attachments with trackpads built in now that there is mouse support. Adjustable viewing angles, mouse support and external drive support were the big things holding it back for me in terms of saying it could REPLACE a laptop.

Reactions: TotalMacMove

spiderman0616

Suspended
Aug 1, 2010
It is also about expectations and requirements. I want for example to have a Mail client with support for smart folders and I also use rules excessively. Please someone tell me how I can do that on an iPad. As long as Apple (or other developers) do not decide to develop such an app, the iPad will be handicapped in my eyes at least.
As long as Microsoft is not bringing Macro support in Excel on the iPad, I will not be able to use Excel for my various sizing calculators (Exchange Server, DPM, etc). I understand that my requirements are not also other people's requirements, so I can only talk about me. Nothing from the things that Apple announced this week changed the situation for me. They improved the OS and that is great, but the apps I want to use are still too basic on the iPad.
That’s a big one for Excel power users—seems like something Microsoft could easily have added by now.

TotalMacMove

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2013
USA
I wonder if 3rd party manufacturers will create keyboard attachments with trackpads built in now that there is mouse support. Adjustable viewing angles, mouse support and external drive support were the big things holding it back for me in terms of saying it could REPLACE a laptop.

This is exactly what i was thinking. I am sure this will happen soon.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.