Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BarredOwl

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2015
NC
As much as I want to not constantly carry both my MBP and iPP, I must.

One instance: deploying a new iPad for field use via Apple Business Manager, Apple Configurator 2, and Jamf. All three services are required for this scenario.

Apple Business Manager and Jamf will be accessible with iOS 13. (I am assuming Apple Business Manager with work with the “desktop class” browser support in iOS 13. It is not using iOS 12.) Apple Configurator 2 requires a Mac.

Reactions: turbineseaplane

Applicationz

macrumors newbie
Aug 26, 2018
earlier Ipad was the most fluid and well designed *tablet*, Android offered better features which are now added to IOS, so IPAD is the best tablet to buy now, Even I think 99% people does not use surface book to do some hard core tasks, so it beats surface book as well, IOS has some amazingly designed collection of apps which desktop lacks,

Overall I just have to say this and I believe everybody does
"I use my desktop for performing 10 tasks, out of which 8 can be executed well on Ipad"
before IpadOS it was 7*

PeterJP

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2012
Leuven, Belgium
earlier Ipad was the most fluid and well designed *tablet*, Android offered better features which are now added to IOS, so IPAD is the best tablet to buy now

When I was in the market for a tablet earlier this year, it turned out Android tablets were dead. There are some Samsung ones that are nice. But being Samsung, you get a proprietary version of Android that gets one or two updates and that's it. All the other ones are cheap crap that I buy to let my kids watch YouTube.

Even before iPadOS, the iPad was the only decent true tablet option. Of course, there are PCs who also try to be tablets. I'm happy the iPad stays true to its roots and improves upon that. When I need my Mac, I’ll use my Mac. But when I need what used to be called a PIM (personal information manager) or a PDA (personal digital assistant), I’ll grab my iPad. In that category, it's by far the most powerful machine I ever got and file management etc will only improve this.

Reactions: Shanghaichica

taldo

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2013
I see a lot of people saying that it depends on what you need to do with your computer, same goes for using a Mac when you there a software that exists only on Windows (I know you can have Windows on a Mac but that’s not the point..), so basically every device has it’s limitations - Desktop Vs laptop, Mac Vs Windows, etc.

The thing with the iPad is that you really need to know what you need from your computer in advance to understand whether it can replace YOUR laptop, but sometimes comes a long a certain thing you want to do that is not the average task task you do everyday, and then you discover the system limitations.

Also, I think that because the OS is not flexible, we are a lot more dependent on app developers to enable us to do the things we want. There are improvements in that as well, like the introduction of shortcuts which really let’s you do some cool basic OS stuff that just wasn’t there until now...

I’m here to try and understand whether the iPad can become my computer, or my Wife’s computer, and really thinking about making the iPad sort of a hybrid computer using a usb c hub - when your on the go, use it as an iPad, when you need Pro work (my Wife is an Architect..) - connect it to the usb c hub and work on Cad software with a keyboard + mouse combo.
I know it can’t replace all the work i need from a computer, but it can now offer me a lot more which makes it worth buying, even if i lack 5% of the tasks i need...

user1234

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2009
Sweden
For me the issue is mostly lack of proper mouse support (even if there’s some mouse support now it’s not good enough) and software. When I can run the full featured versions of Lightroom Classic CC, Capture One and Final Cut Pro X on an iPad with mouse/trackpad support it’s a step closer.

File management is also nowhere nere what I need to move content from SD-cards and such to external SSDs and HDDs, and then the ability to edit from them. While the first task can be accomplished with iPadOS, it’s unnessecarily fiddly, and I’m not sure files can be filtered and copied based on filetype.

For someone browsing the internet and checking e-mail it probably can replace a laptop, but so it could before iPadOS. Maybe a slightly larger audience can now replace their laptops, but it’s still not a true laptop replacement.

Reactions: gdeusthewhizkid

pookitoo

macrumors 6502
Apr 16, 2015
Paris
I wish so much to replace my MacBook Pro with my iPad Pro ! I’m a UX UI designer and the only problem I have is the lack of software : Adobe XD or InVision studio or Figma or sketch app ;( and that’s all ! All depend about this company software ! So much more organic to design on iPad

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
I wish so much to replace my MacBook Pro with my iPad Pro ! I’m a UX UI designer and the only problem I have is the lack of software : Adobe XD or InVision studio or Figma or sketch app ;( and that’s all ! All depend about this company software ! So much more organic to design on iPad

Would things like Procreate and Pixelmator not be workable alternatives for some of your desktop software? Does it have to be from Adobe?

pookitoo

macrumors 6502
Apr 16, 2015
Paris
Would things like Procreate and Pixelmator not be workable alternatives for some of your desktop software? Does it have to be from Adobe?

Not from adobe (sketch app or Invision studio or Sigma are not Adobe software ;) but I need a real software for UI and UX design ! Procreate is perfect for digital painting and pixelmator for photo retouching but not at all for UI and UX ;)

Reactions: Tarantularock

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Mar 19, 2008
Maybe it's because I'm old and have been pushing my way around tech for decades, but as much as I love the iPad (use it daily), it's nowhere close to replacing my Mac yet.

There are way too many edge scenarios, weird workflows, odd tweaks, nebulous things, etc, etc that I love to get into and tinker with and honestly the hindrance isn't the hardware, it's the iOS underpinnings and everything working backwards from "closed system" by default.

I think I'm always going to need some OS in my life that is "free" and allows me to get into as much or little trouble as I want or need to.

I love my iPad for what I use it for, but I'd lose my mind in frustration if it was my only computing device.

Yesterdays example would be when I was batch editing 4,000 audio files and their metadata.

Maybe we'll "get there" eventually - I'll keep an open mind - but we aren't even close yet for my preferences.

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
For what I do, it can. All I use my MBP for is excel, numbers, email, YouTube, social media, and music.

The only thing that concerns me is, what if I have to restore my iPhone? The iPad won’t let me with a downloaded ipsw. It’s rare when I need to, though.

Cape Dave

Contributor
Nov 16, 2012
Northeast
Not from adobe (sketch app or Invision studio or Sigma are not Adobe software ;) but I need a real software for UI and UX design ! Procreate is perfect for digital painting and pixelmator for photo retouching but not at all for UI and UX ;)
Affinity Designer maybe?

petvas

macrumors 603
Jul 20, 2006
Munich, Germany
I think that he nailed it:
I agree 100% with what Dave said in this video. The quality of the apps on the iPad is not on par with the macOS apps and the form factor is limiting the experience, when thinking about the iPad as a laptop.

Reactions: thewhitehart

TheRealAlex

macrumors 68030
Sep 2, 2015
So with the new ipadOS are we at a point for most people that an iPad can replace a MacBook or laptop. Wanted to get some opinions.
I think we are asking the wrong question. From my point of view we need to ask can a MAcBook Replace an iPad Pro?

The touch screen experience cant be copied on MacBook Pro. Or the Apple Pencil. Or instead of programs we have Apps on the iPad Pro. Which in many ways are faster and superiors to websites I know the Bank of America App is way better than their website login experience.

We need to start asking people especially college students and Universities Why do Students need a $2500 MAcBook Pro?
When a $800 iPad Pro solves and can accomplish everything they need ?

We have a mindset of everyone who wants to upload or edit a Video for YouTube needs a MacBook Pro And worse $600 worth of Software or more Buying Final Cut Pro and Adobe Premiere.

petvas

macrumors 603
Jul 20, 2006
Munich, Germany
I think we are asking the wrong question. From my point of view we need to ask can a MAcBook Replace an iPad Pro?

The touch screen experience cant be copied on MacBook Pro. Or the Apple Pencil. Or instead of programs we have Apps on the iPad Pro. Which in many ways are faster and superiors to websites I know the Bank of America App is way better than their website login experience.

We need to start asking people especially college students and Universities Why do Students need a $2500 MAcBook Pro?

We have a mindset of everyone who wants to upload or edit a Video for YouTube needs a MacBook Pro And worse $600 worth of Software or more Buying Final Cut Pro and Adobe Premiere.
I am sorry, but Students need to write essays and create documents, not only work with hand written notes. For this kind of task iPads are not good, they are actually extremely bad. The reason is that there are no good apps out there offering the functionality of MS Office on the desktop. When these apps appear (which I doubt that they ever will), then the iPad could be considered for more serious tasks.

geekiemac

macrumors 65816
Feb 13, 2016
I have both - iPad and Macbook - and I love this iPad OS already. I'm not saying it will make the iPad replace a full-blown computer with all its bells and whistles but in many cases, it will do the job and make our lives easier. I think that with the expected business integration features we will be able to use our iPads in a corporate environment much more than we use it today. And then yes, it will become an option instead of carrying the heavy laptop when traveling....

YaBe

Cancelled
Oct 5, 2017
So with the new ipadOS are we at a point for most people that an iPad can replace a MacBook or laptop. Wanted to get some opinions.
We could have said that even before, for many it already is / was, even with iOS 11.

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
I think that he nailed it:
I agree 100% with what Dave said in this video. The quality of the apps on the iPad is not on par with the macOS apps and the form factor is limiting the experience, when thinking about the iPad as a laptop.
No, he only partially nailed it. The apps are not as sophisticated, which is to be expected. If you think of how much they cost compared to the desktop alternative, sometimes they have much more value, while being less complete. I am certain that if Final Cut Pro came to the ipad at $150 or more a lot of people would say it's a crazy price....for an app...
As for the form factor, no, other then lapability, which can be solved with 3rd party keyboards, there is nothing limiting a 12.9 ipad pro compared to a macbook. All the limitations, even in IpadOS 13, are software.

SSD-GUY

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2012
Interstellar

No way. I graduated a couple years back and the iPad Pro would not have been great when writing massive essays. I often had multiple word docs open, a referencing software, moodle online library etc all running concurrently. I guess with the new iPadOS, some of these multitasking features are coming, but a few years ago this was (and at this moment) is pretty much non-existent.

Whilst I would've loved an iPad Pro for the note taking capabilities for lectures (and as an extra screen when in those long library revision sessions), having a laptop was key.

Oh, and mouse support.

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
I am sorry, but Students need to write essays and create documents, not only work with hand written notes. For this kind of task iPads are not good, they are actually extremely bad. The reason is that there are no good apps out there offering the functionality of MS Office on the desktop. When these apps appear (which I doubt that they ever will), then the iPad could be considered for more serious tasks.

I would think that many authors use professional writing software like Ulysses on iOS rather than office. For very long pieces of work, that would be my route most likely.

spiderman0616

Suspended
Aug 1, 2010
Affinity Photo/Designer, LumaFusion, and Ferrite are all full blown professional caliber editing programs available on iPad, and full blown Photoshop is, or will be, available as well. I use all those apps and others to do “Pro” editing. I don’t think it’s fair to just ignore those types of iPad apps—they are not mobile versions of more powerful software but rather full blown editing software. I imagine Final Cut and Logic Pro will also eventually make their way to iPad.

Many of you saying “No, because it can’t do this” are either being willfully ignorant of the available software in order to prove your point, or just still not aware of what the iPad can actually do.

Reactions: Ghost31

petvas

macrumors 603
Jul 20, 2006
Munich, Germany
Nothing beats Photoshop on the Desktop. Also have a look at Final Cut or/and Premiere. There is nothing as good for the iPad and I know about Lumafusion. Also Ulysses is not Microsoft Word, which is the standard that most organisations and people use. You cannot ignore that. As long as Microsoft is not creating a powerful MS Office suite for the iPad, I just can't take the iPad seriously.
Even then, the form factor is limited. A laptop is much more powerful and I would never ever think of using an iPad for tasks that require precision and complex workflows. I know of course that we will find 5 people here in the forum which will immediately say how they love their iPads. That's fine, and they should be happy using an iPad.
The iPad does have a place in computing, but it is still a luxury item, especially the Pro models. This is at least how I see things. This is by no means a universal truth, just my truth.
I don't like using a device that I know could do so much more, but is severely limited in ways that prohibits me using it. When I work with mail I cannot create smart folders, like in the Mail.app on my Macs. Why? What's the problem with enabling this functionality on the iPad? The iPad is meant for people with no or low computing skills. Power users will mostly feel restrained by the iPad, despite the great hardware.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.