Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
The OP's question cannot be adequately answered until we have installed, and have been using iPadOS for a period of time.

As for right now, the answer is: depending on the workflow, for some - yes, for others - no.
End of discussion.

Wow, after 125 posts you’d think there could be some discussion on the topic, but apparently nope, you’re right. There’s nothing to say...

Brammy

macrumors 68000
Sep 17, 2008
While I am not sure that iOS can ever fully replace what people need a traditional laptop for — especially in large enterprises, I think that this release at least eliminates some of the concerns.
  • A better Files app, with true, user-accessible local storage and support for external hard drives.
  • Desktop class Safari means weird CMSs, Google Apps, and other web pages are now usable
  • Mouse support, even half baked.
  • Ability to have two-up apps so you can have two Word docs open.
Those are amongst the common complaints people have been saying eliminate the iPad as a production device. Some of the things Apple can’t solve. Microsoft needs to up its game for Word and Excel. It would be nice if Autodesk made the iOS version something better. It would be nice is Scrivener closes the gap on the desktop version.

There are always things a given device can’t do that eliminate it from consideration. I think though, iPadOS at least reduces a pain level.

Mainsail

macrumors 68020
Sep 19, 2010
While I am not sure that iOS can ever fully replace what people need a traditional laptop for — especially in large enterprises, I think that this release at least eliminates some of the concerns.
  • A better Files app, with true, user-accessible local storage and support for external hard drives.
  • Desktop class Safari means weird CMSs, Google Apps, and other web pages are now usable
  • Mouse support, even half baked.
  • Ability to have two-up apps so you can have two Word docs open.
Those are amongst the common complaints people have been saying eliminate the iPad as a production device. Some of the things Apple can’t solve. Microsoft needs to up its game for Word and Excel. It would be nice if Autodesk made the iOS version something better. It would be nice is Scrivener closes the gap on the desktop version.

There are always things a given device can’t do that eliminate it from consideration. I think though, iPadOS at least reduces a pain level.

Spot on. Also, I would add that the new gestures, multi-tasking, and text selection features will be big improvements. App expose and swiping through open spaces in slide over will definitely help productivity.

I wonder how Microsoft will respond to improving Office Apps for iPad? IPP is direct competition for the Surface Pro, so they might not be in a big hurry to turbo charge their apps for the iPad. TBD.

Last edited:

Brammy

macrumors 68000
Sep 17, 2008
IPP is direct competition for the Surface Pro, so they might not be in a big hurry to turbo charge their apps for the iPad. TBD.

MS now is more a services company, so I think they will want to make their O365 offerings better at the expense of a hardware product.

petvas

macrumors 603
Jul 20, 2006
Munich, Germany
I have both - iPad and Macbook - and I love this iPad OS already. I'm not saying it will make the iPad replace a full-blown computer with all its bells and whistles but in many cases, it will do the job and make our lives easier. I think that with the expected business integration features we will be able to use our iPads in a corporate environment much more than we use it today. And then yes, it will become an option instead of carrying the heavy laptop when traveling....
If you compare the iPad Pro 12.9 with a keyboard to a 13" MacBook Pro, then the weight difference is small.

Reactions: geekiemac

geekiemac

macrumors 65816
Feb 13, 2016
If you compare the iPad Pro 12.9 with a keyboard to a 13" MacBook Pro, then the weight difference is small.
True, true. But actually I wasn't thinking of my Macbook (which weighs less than 1 kg but still more than an iPad) - but rather, my bulky business HP laptop with its +3 kgs ! :D (I should have been more specific!)

Ladybug

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2006
Love my iPad but it in no way replaces a real computer for me. My iPad is mainly a consumption device. It really depends on the task.

Reactions: turbineseaplane

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
IpadOS has made the iPad more laptop-like, and thereby making it able to replace a laptop for more people, but there are still some laptop functions that an iPad cannot yet do and may never do because of its underlying principles. For people who need or prefer those functions, an iPad will likely never be able to replace their laptop. Some of those functions:
- mouse UI. Allows for smaller targets and therefore more controls on screen at one time. But IpadOS will likely always remain a touch UI.
- file-centric OS and applications. Allows for applications to have more reach and therefore more potential functionality, and for the user, more control of their files without dependency on individual applications. But iOS will likely always remain app-centric.
- clamshell form factor. Allows for a stable keyboard base with strong infinite-angle hinge, easier to open and close. But iPads will likely always remain a slate.

We have to wait and see if some other functions will ever come to iPad.
- the obvious one being fully functional apps. I think that limitation has a lot to do with pricing. Developers aren’t going to want to build fully functioning apps until they are able to charge fully functioning prices (and people are willing to pay).
- large external displays with free-floating windows. If Apple ever does free-floating windows in iPad, I think it will only be on external displays where it will be more useful on the bigger screen. But I don’t know if Apple will ever allow apps to fully move to an external extended display. That would mean they intend for people to use a mouse on a touch UI, which doesn’t seem Apple-like. Unless they want apps to switch to mouse UI on external displays, which I doubt. Or unless touch external displays become a thing.

With that said, most of these “shortcomings” are a two-sided coin. The laptop’s inherent strengths are the iPad’s inherent weaknesses, just as the iPad’s inherent strengths are the laptop’s inherent weaknesses. One tool can’t do everything elegantly.

As far as most people, who knows.

Last edited:

Mainsail

macrumors 68020
Sep 19, 2010
There are definitely people that can be productive with an iPad only, and the new iPadOS is really an important leap forward for those that chose to go iPad only. I don't really care for the term "laptop replacement". The iPad can do many things that a laptop does, but it really does things differently........so, some people use the term "laptop alternative". I know it seems like semantics, but the term "replacement" gets folks thinking that it does everything a laptop does in exactly the same way. Of course, this is impossible. The iPad is a tablet. It is an app-centric touch first device. A laptop is a windows-centric keyboard and mouse device. They are two very different approaches to doing many of the same tasks. What this means, of course, is that one device will be better for some things while another will be better for other things.

erasr

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2007
I thought this argument was quite simple. For me, a MB with its keyboard, but most crucially, the trackpad, beats the iPad every time for a computer experience.

Quite simply, the trackpad is what does it.

It’s a pain in the ass to have to keep reaching to touch the iPad screen, compared to a trackpad where your hand barely ever moves.

Why is this argument always so over-complicated?

That said, I have a MBP and close to buying an iPad Pro for watching content at home.

sokzzuka

macrumors member
Feb 24, 2019
This is exactly why for me, iPad is not a replacement to laptop (yet). It's still missing built-in terminal, xcode, or heck, even an non/less sandboxed safari so I can actually execute HTML/Javascript files (which I code) from my Files app.

My problem with the current Safari implementation on iPad is that it cannot download any files which have a download redirect i.e. if I want to download files attached to forum posts (such as epubs, pdfs etc), the forum normally creates a redirect script which redirects to the file download. The current Safari iPad will download the redirect script as a text file which contains a URL instead of the actual downloadable file. I don't know whether iOS 13 allows this.

I love my iPad because of its portability, especially if it's possible to use for superbly boring and mundane tasks such as downloading CC0 photos for web site design while waiting for my school lectures to start. I can never do this because of the Safari's limitation of redirect scripts for file download. And of course, I cannot code on it as well. So at this time, I end up lugging my 1.3kg laptop with me just for 15-20 mins usage.

you can do some python coding as far as i know. but other than that? not sure.
and imo ipad will always be just a tablet. good for your everyday media things, but never it will replace pc for real pros.

petvas

macrumors 603
Jul 20, 2006
Munich, Germany
you can do some python coding as far as i know. but other than that? not sure.
and imo ipad will always be just a tablet. good for your everyday media things, but never it will replace pc for real pros.
I couldn't agree more. The iPad is a great device but it can never really replace a laptop or desktop for people that need better apps, with advanced functions and also plan to work for hours in front of their computer. I have sold my iPad and moved on, since having an iMac and a MacBook Pro is more than enough for me.

Mainsail

macrumors 68020
Sep 19, 2010
Yes it is true that the iPad has limitations. It is not the device of choice for Xcode, Terminal, or JavaScript. On the other hand, an iPad is a better choice for reading, annotating documents, taking handwritten notes, or creating work related sketches. A lot of people do these things on the daily. A very small percentage of computer users write code.

So, I would venture to guess that for many people the iPad is a good alternative to a MacBook for many of the things they do every day. This is just my conjecture based on professionals that I worked with during my career that made excellent livings managing organizations and negotiating with clients......but, never writing a lick of code.

TheBigApple2006

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2006
I think we are getting there. More and more app Mac apps are being ported and are now available for iPad. For example, I am a decade-old veteran of word processor Mellel and bibliographic manager Bookends. Both are now available for iPad, with a good feature set. Together with the robust PDF support of a Goodreader or PDF Expert and all manner of cloud access, I am set for academic writing, especially with the recent mouse support. I can choose any bluetooth keyboard (which is better than any butterfly built in laptop one) and pair it up, and summing all weights up (including stands and more), I barely get to 700 grammes on a 11'' iPad. Its portrait mode is far more usable than a 12" Macbook for academic writing, and the keyboard decidedly better. Its a great library setup if one's main preoccupation is simply to write up and does not sit in a library to edit media or categorise images or PDFs.
The problem as I see it is that programmers have mostly adopted a 'phone' or 'mobile' mentality when designing for iPad. None of the core Microsoft apps, Word, Excel, powerpoint, make real use of the 12.9" real estate. I tested the 11" and 12.9" side by side for a week, and once you remove the obvious screen size difference, when it comes to single window operation, the difference between the two narrows considerably due to the apps not really seizing the opportunity to be different. Apps should look and operate differently according to the various sizes, and avoid being gimped because they are a tablet edition. I think Apple has laid the ground at the OS level for developers to up the ante, and they must now step up.

RudySnow

Suspended
Aug 27, 2016
Tyler, TX
I think we are getting there. More and more app Mac apps are being ported and are now available for iPad. For example, I am a decade-old veteran of word processor Mellel and bibliographic manager Bookends. Both are now available for iPad, with a good feature set. Together with the robust PDF support of a Goodreader or PDF Expert and all manner of cloud access, I am set for academic writing, especially with the recent mouse support. I can choose any bluetooth keyboard (which is better than any butterfly built in laptop one) and pair it up, and summing all weights up (including stands and more), I barely get to 700 grammes on a 11'' iPad. Its portrait mode is far more usable than a 12" Macbook for academic writing, and the keyboard decidedly better. Its a great library setup if one's main preoccupation is simply to write up and does not sit in a library to edit media or categorise images or PDFs.
The problem as I see it is that programmers have mostly adopted a 'phone' or 'mobile' mentality when designing for iPad. None of the core Microsoft apps, Word, Excel, powerpoint, make real use of the 12.9" real estate. I tested the 11" and 12.9" side by side for a week, and once you remove the obvious screen size difference, when it comes to single window operation, the difference between the two narrows considerably due to the apps not really seizing the opportunity to be different. Apps should look and operate differently according to the various sizes, and avoid being gimped because they are a tablet edition. I think Apple has laid the ground at the OS level for developers to up the ante, and they must now step up.

Funny—I thought I was the only Mellel alum left! I wanted to try the iOS version but the 2.8/5 reviews and the $20 tag are frightening. Would love a try-before-you-buy option.
[doublepost=1560731634][/doublepost]
Still no Adobe Flash.

Adobe is killing off Flash by the end of 2020 anyway.

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
IpadOS has made the iPad more laptop-like, and thereby making it able to replace a laptop for more people, but there are still some laptop functions that an iPad cannot yet do and may never do because of its underlying principles. For people who need or prefer those functions, an iPad will likely never be able to replace their laptop. Some of those functions:
- mouse UI. Allows for smaller targets and therefore more controls on screen at one time. But IpadOS will likely always remain a touch UI.
- file-centric OS and applications. Allows for applications to have more reach and therefore more potential functionality, and for the user, more control of their files without dependency on individual applications. But iOS will likely always remain app-centric.
- clamshell form factor. Allows for a stable keyboard base with strong infinite-angle hinge, easier to open and close. But iPads will likely always remain a slate.

We have to wait and see if some other functions will ever come to iPad.
- the obvious one being fully functional apps. I think that limitation has a lot to do with pricing. Developers aren’t going to want to build fully functioning apps until they are able to charge fully functioning prices (and people are willing to pay).
- large external displays with free-floating windows. If Apple ever does free-floating windows in iPad, I think it will only be on external displays where it will be more useful on the bigger screen. But I don’t know if Apple will ever allow apps to fully move to an external extended display. That would mean they intend for people to use a mouse on a touch UI, which doesn’t seem Apple-like. Unless they want apps to switch to mouse UI on external displays, which I doubt. Or unless touch external displays become a thing.

With that said, most of these “shortcomings” are a two-sided coin. The laptop’s inherent strengths are the iPad’s inherent weaknesses, just as the iPad’s inherent strengths are the laptop’s inherent weaknesses. One tool can’t do everything elegantly.

As far as most people, who knows.
I forgot two important items on my list of non-iPad functions:
- background processes and no application killing. Since iOS/ipadOS is a mobile/battery-first OS, it’s not likely to allow non-active apps to live, nor background activity beyond its existing “background app refresh”, which is limited to certain functions in certain apps and relies on location changes.
- general size/power. There is some overlap between iPads and Macs, but iPads can only go so big/powerful since they have a much bigger emphasis on mobility. For those who need more size and power, Macs (desktops or laptops) are of course the only option. Unless/until iPads get bigger.

Reactions: Shirasaki

petvas

macrumors 603
Jul 20, 2006
Munich, Germany
- background processes and no application killing. Since iOS/ipadOS is a mobile/battery-first OS, it’s not likely to allow non-active apps to live, nor background activity beyond its existing “background app refresh”, which is limited to certain functions in certain apps and relies on location changes.
- general size/power. There is some overlap between iPads and Macs, but iPads can only go so big/powerful since they have a much bigger emphasis on mobility. For those who need more size and power, Macs (desktops or laptops) are of course the only option. Unless/until iPads get bigger.
These are very good points. Especially the true multitasking that macOS and Windows offer, is a big thing.

TheBigApple2006

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2006
Funny—I thought I was the only Mellel alum left! I wanted to try the iOS version but the 2.8/5 reviews and the $20 tag are frightening. Would love a try-before-you-buy option.
[doublepost=1560731634][/doublepost]

Mellel remains a very fine word processor, but the big sticking point is lack of DOCX export - but you can import them using the iOS app too. Features are being added routinely, you couldn't off course shoehorn 15 years+ of desktop development into a version 1.0. But right now, it compares favourably with Word, is slicker and works better with Bookends integration, a must for me.

TheBigApple2006

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2006

You make a very good point about size. For me, as someone who uses the iPad almost exclusively in public libraries, the sweet spot is the 10.5-11 iPad, when I working in a library. Its footprint means it can get out of the way on a busy library table laden with books. The bluetooth separate keyboard (not a fan of folios) means you can be creative on how to place iPad and keyboard, and get your work done. The mouse support coming in now is even more of a boon in this regard.
I have tried all sizes of laptops, 12"-13.3"-15" Macbooks, and none of them are as neat inside the library as an iPad.
The extent to which iPadOS has changed the iPad software experience clearly underlies that much else needs to be done, at both Apple and developer level.

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
I wonder how Microsoft will respond to improving Office Apps for iPad? IPP is direct competition for the Surface Pro, so they might not be in a big hurry to turbo charge their apps for the iPad. TBD.

It is in Microsoft interests to improve their software.

Microsoft is a software and services company. They generate much of their income and much of their profits from software. It does not matter on what platform it runs. $5/mo for Office 365 on your Mac, iPad, iphone, Android phone, Windows, etc with 1TB cloud storage all connected is a great bargain. And is a steady income stream at high profit margin for Microsoft.
[doublepost=1560781846][/doublepost]
How do I install GCC on it? How do I install JDK on it?

I do that on my cloud accounts at Azure, AWS, or GCS. Then just log in from ipad, laptop, or desktop.

In the cloud I can spin up multiple environments quickly with different hardware configurations and OSes. And they are pre-installed with all the products I need. Everything is automatically backed up, and I can take a snapshot and archive it so get the exact same environment back at any time.

fredrik9

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2018
Sweden
With iOS 13 and a physical keyboard for people that are prosumers I think yes. For power users? Maybe. For real professionals? No.

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
You make a very good point about size. For me, as someone who uses the iPad almost exclusively in public libraries, the sweet spot is the 10.5-11 iPad, when I working in a library. Its footprint means it can get out of the way on a busy library table laden with books. The bluetooth separate keyboard (not a fan of folios) means you can be creative on how to place iPad and keyboard, and get your work done. The mouse support coming in now is even more of a boon in this regard.
I have tried all sizes of laptops, 12"-13.3"-15" Macbooks, and none of them are as neat inside the library as an iPad.
Yep, it’s that two-sided coin. The smaller size can be very useful.

The extent to which iPadOS has changed the iPad software experience clearly underlies that much else needs to be done, at both Apple and developer level.
There are a few things here and there I’d still like changed in ipadOS, but to me the main urgency falls on developers. The main roadblocks I run into on iPad are due to non-fully-functional apps that have poor communication with other apps, especially with the Files app.
[doublepost=1560783898][/doublepost]
With iOS 13 and a physical keyboard for people that are prosumers I think yes. For power users? Maybe. For real professionals? No.
Broad-strokes you might be right, but it’s hard to be sure without actual data. Ultimately, I think it’s ‘maybe’ for all three.

Reactions: fredrik9

Mainsail

macrumors 68020
Sep 19, 2010

What is a real professional? On this forum, there is a tendency to limit the term “professional” to folks that write code or do specialized graphic arts and production on computers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.