Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alanplum

macrumors 6502
Jul 20, 2012
Bristol, UK
What’s annoying is...it seems as soon as you upgrade to 2019.12.07 you lose the ability to upgrade...or even downgrade for that matter using the USB port. Online only.
[automerge]1575920594[/automerge]
Also.....you may remember many posts back I bought a usb injector to see if it resolves the problem in the SEAT Ibiza and the Mitsubishi.

well........it doesn’t. Mitsubishi still says connect compatible smartphone, and Ibiza is the usual works in the background but can’t “paint” the interface on the screen.

so that kind of rules out the lack of power theory unfortunately.

javitxu

macrumors newbie
Nov 21, 2019
Has Michael (or anyone else) supplied a return address at all? I am not sure whether to wait to hear from Michael or dispute the charge now.

Just out of curiosity, did you go down the chargeback route or section 75?

If it helps you, PayPal has sent me this address to make the return

MB Pirkimai Internetu
Ausros g. 3-19 Varena, 65192 Lithuania

Michael sent me an address from China.

mikejd1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2007
so what's the latest? Does the upgrade work still on the dongle? i cant try till i get home later..or is there a downloadable file to install on the dongle?

Derek Hofstra

macrumors newbie
Dec 9, 2019
My understanding of the difference between Carplay2Air and Carlinkit is that the former does not require the user to install a .APK file on the head unit. Does anyone's experience suggest otherwise?

As far as I can tell, the Bolt EV does not have a file management system, so I'm forced to use the Carplay2Air, which is frustrating since it's >2x the cost of the Carlinkit products on Amazon.

I actually have both in my possession at the moment. The Carlinkit I received only has one LED on the front, but it appears that some users have a model with two LEDs like the Carplay2Air. I'd love to know if those function differently.

Hendo999

macrumors regular
Nov 9, 2015
I haven’t updated my adapter before now because I read about all the trouble and failure.
The update process was fine and quick without trouble. I do have the demo text so it need to be fixed. Otherwise

1. Connection screen is detailed and bring option to select between multiple phones

2. Connection speed seems same as before

3. Sound quality is much better

4. Now showing song info on my information screen (Audi MMI)

I actually never have connection problems. It works every time also with reverse camera. The new update complete my 2 big issues. Song info and sound quality.

Edit:
I just read the update mail I received and there is written that tomorrow we will be able to update to the final version and demo text will then be removed.

mikejd1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2007
I haven’t updated my adapter before now because I read about all the trouble and failure.
The update process was fine and quick without trouble. I do have the demo text so it need to be fixed. Otherwise

1. Connection screen is detailed and bring option to select between multiple phones

2. Connection speed seems same as before

3. Sound quality is much better

4. Now showing song info on my information screen (Audi MMI)

I actually never have connection problems. It works every time also with reverse camera. The new update complete my 2 big issues. Song info and sound quality.

Edit:
I just read the update mail I received and there is written that tomorrow we will be able to update to the final version and demo text will then be removed.
The problem is they keep saying “tomorrow”

aviegas

macrumors member
Jul 12, 2019
localhost.localdomain
My understanding of the difference between Carplay2Air and Carlinkit is that the former does not require the user to install a .APK file on the head unit. Does anyone's experience suggest otherwise?

As far as I can tell, the Bolt EV does not have a file management system, so I'm forced to use the Carplay2Air, which is frustrating since it's >2x the cost of the Carlinkit products on Amazon.

I actually have both in my possession at the moment. The Carlinkit I received only has one LED on the front, but it appears that some users have a model with two LEDs like the Carplay2Air. I'd love to know if those function differently.

carlinkit has 3 versions. One for Android head units, that requires the APK to be installed and allow wired CarPlay. The second is similar but supports wireless (uses the same APK). Finally there is the U2W that is for units with wired carplay and does not require the APK. This one is e a rely the same hardware as CarPlay2air.

Reactions: Derek Hofstra

Derek Hofstra

macrumors newbie
Dec 9, 2019
carlinkit has 3 versions. One for Android head units, that requires the APK to be installed and allow wired CarPlay. The second is similar but supports wireless (uses the same APK). Finally there is the U2W that is for units with wired carplay and does not require the APK. This one is e a rely the same hardware as CarPlay2air.
Thanks for the info. Have you found a listing (eBay, Amazon or Alibaba) for the U2W version that is less than $125 or so? Trying to figure out if it makes sense for me to return the Carplay2Air.

wadebarker

macrumors member
Jul 2, 2008
Dallas, TX
Anyone had luck getting past this screen with the new firmware? I’ve tried repairing every way I can possibly find. Audio streaming will work fine but screen just stays on this.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    517.6 KB · Views: 207

D3ggy

macrumors 6502a
Mar 26, 2019
Just tried the server this morning and there is a new update. Release note says Test but it installed ok. When I refreshed the server screen it still came up the same but the unit boots fine and there is no longer a demo counter.

af380aa4e73b1d973be4bd86d18a192b.png

Skywiper

macrumors newbie
Dec 9, 2019
Does anyone know how to switch "Mode" on the new firmware? Mine connects ok, but the screen is pixelated the same way it was until I switched to Mode 3 on the old firmware.

alanplum

macrumors 6502
Jul 20, 2012
Bristol, UK
Yes....same for me. I installed the update and no more demo. Back to working 100%

However, if you visit 192.168.50.2, it permanently now says there is a new version even though its the same one you installed, but I dont care. My dongle is back to working 100% again. YAY
[automerge]1575964362[/automerge]
Does anyone know how to switch "Mode" on the new firmware? Mine connects ok, but the screen is pixelated the same way it was until I switched to Mode 3 on the old firmware.
Apparently the whole "mode" thing has been removed in this firmware in favour of "vehicle detection" This may explain why the Jeep problem has occurred.... Give them some time, I'm convinced they'll fix it.

Skywiper

macrumors newbie
Dec 9, 2019
Yes....same for me. I installed the update and no more demo. Back to working 100%

However, if you visit 192.168.50.2, it permanently now says there is a new version even though its the same one you installed, but I dont care. My dongle is back to working 100% again. YAY
[automerge]1575964362[/automerge]

Apparently the whole "mode" thing has been removed in this firmware in favour of "vehicle detection" This may explain why the Jeep problem has occurred.... Give them some time, I'm convinced they'll fix it.
It's a Ford:-(

alanplum

macrumors 6502
Jul 20, 2012
Bristol, UK
It would be nice if we could have some sort of "poll" that shows which vehicle you have and what issues you have e.g.
Volvo XC40 MY20 - Works Perfectly
Seat Ibiza MY19- Works but no screen painted. (Pixellated)
Mitsubishi Outland PHEV MY19- Doesn't even detect the dongle...

Last edited:

alanplum

macrumors 6502
Jul 20, 2012
Bristol, UK
Anyone had luck getting past this screen with the new firmware? I’ve tried repairing every way I can possibly find. Audio streaming will work fine but screen just stays on this.
In one of the Seat LEON's I have access to, it did this....I turned the screen off at the power button, and when I turned it back on again, the screen painted and worked. Only in the LEON though, tried it in an Ibiza and it still didnt work.

eeiciap

macrumors newbie
Dec 10, 2019
Wireless CarPlay would be a godsend.

However, can someone comment on the security of using such a device? It appears to have the ability to connect to the internet through your phone, and I have concerns about potential vulnerabilities, for example if such a device is capable of accessing your data. I am hoping someone who is familiar with how it works (CarPlay implementation, etc.) can tell us if it is safe to use.

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
UK
Wireless CarPlay would be a godsend.

However, can someone comment on the security of using such a device? It appears to have the ability to connect to the internet through your phone, and I have concerns about potential vulnerabilities, for example if such a device is capable of accessing your data. I am hoping someone who is familiar with how it works (CarPlay implementation, etc.) can tell us if it is safe to use.

It’s why I asked above about why does it not need a server for activation etc. Definitely some concerns now

javitxu

macrumors newbie
Nov 21, 2019
Vw Tiguan MK20:

It works fine, but it has some flaws that don't convince me

1.- I can't change the songs from the steering wheel

2.- Today I have been listening to music and sometimes the song is cut and then accelerated. I think it's a Wi-Fi connection problem that doesn't support much data

3.- Yesterday while listening to music and moving the Waze screen, the music was cut

I will definitely return it because for the price it has it is not very reliable

mikejd1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2007
Tried the “test” update. No more demo at least. But Jeep connecting screen still sits there and fails. I’ve asked repeatedly to send me old version and they keep beating around the bush. Now I asked for a replacement dongle with the old version I’m going in circles. So glad i disputed and put a charge back on my CC!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.