Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aviegas

macrumors member
Jul 12, 2019
localhost.localdomain
Mine does not even show the BT device on the iPhone. Can't even try to connect. But I've tested on a friend's car (Hyundai) and it worked fine. I have a 2020 Jeep Compass.
[automerge]1575898332[/automerge]
On the Carlinkit page right now:

If you have upgraded version 2019.12.07.1815 Please use the online upgrade to the latest version and remove the “demo” Do not use this upgrade file!
[automerge]1575898608[/automerge]
If anyone want's to give a try using the Carlinkit's firmware U2W_2019.12.09 (today's firmware):

http://www.carlinkit.com/filedownload/35497

Password is: Veelink789

NOTE THAT I'M NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR IT WORKING OR NOT WITH CarPlay2Air.... use at your own risk.

Last edited:

aviegas

macrumors member
Jul 12, 2019
localhost.localdomain
Tried updating with an USB drive with today's firmaware (from Carlinkkit, and it did not work - no blue+red light). Will try on a friends car and then try again on my Jeep.

aviegas

macrumors member
Jul 12, 2019
localhost.localdomain
Got a new email from "Michael". Basically it contains what we have already discovered: you can update from the head unit and it will activate and remove the "demo mode".

As for my case, they are "Still working" on the Jeep issue.

mikejd1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2007
Got a new email from "Michael". Basically it contains what we have already discovered: you can update from the head unit and it will activate and remove the "demo mode".

As for my case, they are "Still working" on the Jeep issue.

Same here. And once again I asked him to send me the previous file.

MrShades

macrumors member
Nov 25, 2019
Swindon, Wiltshire, UK
Well, my Carlinkit U2W was working fine on my 2017 Audi B9 on 2019.11.11 - and I've now updated to the latest 2019.12.07 (well, today's version), which took a little bit of messing around until I found a USB that actually would work properly - shame there's no 'flashing red' to at least show that it's updating.

Anyway, eventually got the red+blue and put it in the car.

There was some more messing around with the connection to wifi - and for some reason it seems to connect, but doesn't actually appear to be connected as far as the iPhone is concerned (4G icon is still present, with no indication of Wifi) but on the off chance I tried to connect to 192.168.50.2 and it connected, and told me that it as activated and up-to-date. Rebooted, connected again via Bluetooth (nice that it's now an AudiXXXXX bluetooth name and an AudiXXXXX wifi name).

Fiddled around for a while, and everything seems pretty much the same as it was before. Connection (now that it's done the initial connect) seems faster, but there's still no track/album/artist showing in the Virtual Cockpit, which is a shame.

Anyway - seems to be working OK (difficult to say "well" yet, as not really used it much) on Audi MMI B9.
[automerge]1575909875[/automerge]
I didn't bother clicking on them at the time, but who knows what the icons in the bottom left and bottom right actually do : left seems to be "Home" (whatever home is!) and right looks like a "www" globe....???

Last edited:

D3ggy

macrumors 6502a
Mar 26, 2019
Well mine claims to have the latest version but I still have them demo....need to activate every power on

Same here, just plugged it in and while it has activated i still have demo mode which goes down in steps of 2 at a time which isn’t good.

Anyway a step forward at least.

alanplum

macrumors 6502
Jul 20, 2012
Bristol, UK
Actually checking closer..mine is version 2019.12.7 not this new 9 version but says up to date. I tried flashing the link above but no joy

mpf541-

macrumors newbie
Nov 19, 2019
Well I went out today and tried again and got it to activate using yesterdays firmware. It also told me no update was available. It wanted a reboot so I did and it came back up un the wrong language. Took a while to figure that out but after that I had to delete the old bluetooth connection from the phone and repair it. The demo mode went away and it appears to be working.

However the real test will be is when I go out later and try again. Will it connect automatically. And I still have not got any reply from them other than a new version will be out tomorrow.

AntonieB

macrumors newbie
Dec 2, 2019
I get this screen and audio is playing through system when I start something like spotify of my phone.. screen is just like before update a bit garbage / not updating at all.

Attachments

• B9D46A26-AB86-4907-9AE1-3933889DCA2F.jpeg
    B9D46A26-AB86-4907-9AE1-3933889DCA2F.jpeg
    29.5 KB · Views: 211

alanplum

macrumors 6502
Jul 20, 2012
Bristol, UK
Hmmmm...so as mentioned I download the carlinkit fir,ware from above but it didn’t do anything. Plugged it into car and still 07 version with no update available. However....demo mode still shows as 0, but I don’t have to activate it every time now. I might try forget WiFi Bluetooth trick, and see what happens

mpf541-

macrumors newbie
Nov 19, 2019
Well I just went back after a while and the screen comes up saying looking for device. I was able to unplug the adapter in and reconnect it and it did connect to the phone. But if I have to do this each time I may as well just plug in the phone.

D3ggy

macrumors 6502a
Mar 26, 2019
Hmmmm...so as mentioned I download the carlinkit fir,ware from above but it didn’t do anything. Plugged it into car and still 07 version with no update available. However....demo mode still shows as 0, but I don’t have to activate it every time now. I might try forget WiFi Bluetooth trick, and see what happens

Let us know if it works, keen to try but i don’t want my counter going down anymore. Already down to 21.

It’s also only 2º outside so looking for armchair wisdom before i venture out again :)

alanplum

macrumors 6502
Jul 20, 2012
Bristol, UK
Well I tried it. Same result.

My demo counter is at 0 which means activation every boot....previous must have been a fluke.

it seems as if dark knight must have hit the upgrade server just at the right time to get the new firmware.

darkkknighttt930

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2015
Long Island, NY
Well I tried it. Same result.

My demo counter is at 0 which means activation every boot....previous must have been a fluke.

it seems as if dark knight must have hit the upgrade server just at the right time to get the new firmware.
I did it this morning around 7:30 EST. I think the server is still good because I clicked check for updates and it tells me none available at this time.
So far it has been working fine. I drove two more times to be sure it was still activated.

D3ggy

macrumors 6502a
Mar 26, 2019
I did it this morning around 7:30 EST. I think the server is still good because I clicked check for updates and it tells me none available at this time.
So far it has been working fine. I drove two more times to be sure it was still activated.

I’m not seeing a check for upgrade screen or is that from the phone interface in safari?

D3ggy

macrumors 6502a
Mar 26, 2019
It just says its the latest.

Just wondering where its getting its internet connection from since its serving its own WiFi which the phone connects to.

559cb9d1f833f39525426f176d244b68.png

javitxu

macrumors newbie
Nov 21, 2019
Hi

My carplay2air works on my VW Tiguan, but not correctly. At the moment I have the demo version but I received an email from Michael that tomorrow will be the final version and that can be updated from the server.

The failures I see are:

1.- Sometimes it is hard for you to pass the application screens and get stuck. This makes for example Waze go very slow. I have to make several connections to have a stable and fluid connection.

2.- I cannot advance the songs from the steering wheel

3.- I cannot select the icons of the applications with the button that my car's equipment has. I have to do it from the touch screen.

It connects quite quickly and the sound is very good.

I still think if I return it or keep it. I think it should work even better for the price it has.

Greetings from Spain

alanplum

macrumors 6502
Jul 20, 2012
Bristol, UK
It will be getting its internet connection as CarPlay does. It’s using the phone 4g.

it seems as though darkknight was lucky and managed to grab the firmware whilst they were testing it perhaps.

D3ggy

macrumors 6502a
Mar 26, 2019
It will be getting its internet connection as CarPlay does. It’s using the phone 4g.

it seems as though darkknight was lucky and managed to grab the firmware whilst they were testing it perhaps.

Thought it must have being doing that. Yes sounds if he has been lucky snagging that build.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.