Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tpfang56

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2021
Is anyone else also wanting a rotatable case for the mini for portrait mode viewing? This one looks gorgeous, but it'll be a while before it gets in stock.

At this rate, I'm gonna end up with 4 or so different cases ?. Together they'll still end up being around the same price as one folio case from apple.

darrinS

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2011
So Cal
Great for returns….if you want your spontaneous-purchase-turned-return to wind up in a landfill.
they sell returns. i always look to see if they have used items of whatever i want. they do a good job of classifying the items as Like New or Excellent condition. i save a lot when buying obviously returned items. i wish i knew beforehand if i would like the things i buy, like you.

Kobra

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2009
I’ve just ordered this magnetic folio from ESR. I chose it because it resembles the Apple folio but without the cost and because of the magnetic clasp that secures the pencil. I don’t need side protection, to me the magnetic folio (Apple or knock offs) is the best compromise between slim profile and decent protection. I also like that it’s easy to remove the folio to use the iPad naked.

Reactions: slueck

jaguar133

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2014
New Jersey, USA
I’ve just ordered this magnetic folio from ESR. I chose it because it resembles the Apple folio but without the cost and because of the magnetic clasp that secures the pencil. I don’t need side protection, to me the magnetic folio (Apple or knock offs) is the best compromise between slim profile and decent protection. I also like that it’s easy to remove the folio to use the iPad naked.

I ordered this one in green and already got it before my mini.

It looks really nice and well built. Can’t wait to actually use it when I pick up my mini tomorrow!

Reactions: Kobra

Macalway

macrumors 68040
Aug 7, 2013
I strongly recommend that anyone who is not familiar, to at least look at a magnetic case . Apple makes these now for the Mini, but you can save $40 by getting a cheaper clone.

I bought a cheap Amazon version, and it's good. I'm sort of a cases junkie, so I know about these things :D

It seems to work particularly well for the smaller Mini. Just make sure if go the Amazon route, that the case is the same type as the Apple one. There are several types of magnetic cases.

Last edited:

rgarjr

macrumors 604
Apr 2, 2009
Southern California

NYCValkyrie

macrumors 6502a
Jun 1, 2019
I’ve planned to use it naked! Let’s see if the experience deserves the risk!
I would really love to use it without a case but it’s hard for me to hold. I wish it was also MagSafe so that we could use something like a pop socket on it when needed.

PS I actually am using my pop socket on it but the magnets aren’t strong enough so I did try. Lol.

Luis0180

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2020
Madrid
I would really love to use it without a case but it’s hard for me to hold. I wish it was also MagSafe so that we could use something like a pop socket on it when needed.

PS I actually am using my pop socket on it but the magnets aren’t strong enough so I did try. Lol.
If I had to add a case, undoubtedly I’d choose the Smart Folio. Actually the cold aluminum touch is kinda uncomfortable

MacMandy

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2006
Manchester, UK
I’m torn between the Dark Cherry and English Lavender Apple Smart Folio for my Purple mini.

Attachments

• D8DA904B-0C1A-4A7D-B28D-BBE72793FF41.jpeg
    D8DA904B-0C1A-4A7D-B28D-BBE72793FF41.jpeg
    227.2 KB · Views: 859
  • 0728FE4D-7303-494D-A489-3275F78BBE87.jpeg
    0728FE4D-7303-494D-A489-3275F78BBE87.jpeg
    207.3 KB · Views: 327
  • 904A35A3-FA81-4CA5-83CE-B88AC0F63A80.jpeg
    904A35A3-FA81-4CA5-83CE-B88AC0F63A80.jpeg
    339.1 KB · Views: 318

FrozenShivers

macrumors regular
Sep 8, 2011
I ordered this one in green and already got it before my mini.

It looks really nice and well built. Can’t wait to actually use it when I pick up my mini tomorrow!

I have one here but I'm going to return it, my own fault as I didn't realise it had a pencil flap (I don't have a pencil). I loved my ESR case on Mini 5, so hopefully they have the same case but without a flap as I'd rather avoid paying smartfolio money. Quality sure seems solid for the price though on the ESR.

Shawn0813

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2019
I also bought the esr magnetic and plan to return it. It does not stand well while watching videos. Does anyone have any recommendations of a case that stands well?

maleficent86

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2014
I’m torn between the Dark Cherry and English Lavender Apple Smart Folio for my Purple mini.
I got black and the dark cherry because I was torn too. Does the DC look more brown or maroon in natural light? I like the lavender more for the purple mini it just matched really well. :)

Reactions: MacMandy

marc55

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2011
Does the Apple Smart Folio provide protection from drops? I'm especially concerned with the corners?

Hallstar

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2011
I also bought the esr magnetic and plan to return it. It does not stand well while watching videos. Does anyone have any recommendations of a case that stands well?

I have a Ztotop Magnetic Smart Folio, much like the ESR, it is nice as a slimline cover, but not very sturdy as a stand.

I also have this one from Ztotop which I have for my 12.9 and loved it, so was pleased to see them release it for the Mini 6. It is just brilliant.

Looks great, feels premium, offers protection and the magnetic support for adjustable viewing is spot on!

Highly recommend..

Last edited:
Reactions: kdoug and Shawn0813

Shawn0813

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2019
I have a Ztotop Magnetic Smart Folio, much like the ESR, it is nice as a slimline cover, but not very sturdy as a stand.

I also have this one from Ztotop which I have for my 12.9 and loved it, so was pleased to see them release it for the Mini 6. It is just brilliant.

Loos great, feels premium, offers protection and the magnetic support for adjustable viewing is spot on!

Highly recommend..

Thank you for the recommendation.

Reactions: Hallstar

kolz

macrumors member
Jul 9, 2012
i'm looking for a case that would allow the ipad to cool down if im driving it hot, some kind like perforated material for its back lower area where the cpu is located, coz when im playing stuffs it gets really hot and i dont want to trap the heat....anyone know some case that can do this i would like to know =)

stinkhorn9

macrumors 6502
Mar 29, 2020
I’ve planned to use it naked! Let’s see if the experience deserves the risk!
As a thicker-bezelled iPad user, I'm curious about this: now that the mini has a protruding camera, it will wobble if naked flat on a desk; and it would be harder to hold naked with one hand if accidentally activating something on the screen were to be avoided (these are how I use my naked iPad) - how will you use yours?

Luis0180

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2020
Madrid
As a thicker-bezelled iPad user, I'm curious about this: now that the mini has a protruding camera, it will wobble if naked flat on a desk; and it would be harder to hold naked with one hand if accidentally activating something on the screen were to be avoided (these are how I use my naked iPad) - how will you use yours?
The truth is that my use is to read as an ebook and watch series, it is my new night table companion. I always use it by holding it in my hand, so far I haven't put it flat. And it is very comfortable to hold, no problem with touching anything on the screen. Maybe the metal is too cold for me and I'll end up buying the Smart Cover!

kdoug

macrumors 65816
Jun 2, 2010
Iowa City, IA USA

Looks great, feels premium, offers protection and the magnetic support for adjustable viewing is spot on!

Highly recommend..

I also had the Ztotop for my 12.9 and loved it. Ordered another for my Mini.

Reactions: Hallstar

kdoug

macrumors 65816
Jun 2, 2010
Iowa City, IA USA
Not the cheapest but the best for watching videos at any angle.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.