Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

OverSpun

macrumors 65816
Sep 12, 2006
California
Has anyone tried this on OS 3.2.1? I really dont want to install it if it works, it was annoying earlier from a few other apps and had restoring it. I made a thread listing all the working apps. :)

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
Everyone, on OS X install "Natatalk" through Cydia on the iPad. This will allow the iPad to show up on your Mac OS X computer if they are both on the same WiFi network. You can then access all the files on the iPad through Finder as your would a hard drive or other device. This allows for easy modification of your iPad.

EDIT: I did follow the instructions per deleting the icons and caches on the iPad, and after reboot some important applications were missing (not just the icons, but the apps themselves). I googled this issue and found a lot of people experienced it after jailbreaking. Any thoughts?

dir

macrumors newbie
Aug 15, 2010
Melbourne, Australia
Can someone tell me the obvious, which, well, isn't obvious to me.

Installed Categories, CategoriesSB, and SBSettings. I created a folder, put some apps in it, and can open it fine and see the apps. But how do I close the folder? The only way seems to be either start an app or push the home button.

Running ipad 3.2.1, and installed the 3 apps above 10 mins ago so they're the most recent versions at this time.

Strangely, I can't find any readme/help/website that gives me any info. I'm feeling n00bish....

clovis112

macrumors regular
Nov 14, 2007

Installed Categories, CategoriesSB, and SBSettings. I created a folder, put some apps in it, and can open it fine and see the apps. But how do I close the folder? The only way seems to be either start an app or push the home button.

Running ipad 3.2.1, and installed the 3 apps above 10 mins ago so they're the most recent versions at this time.

Strangely, I can't find any readme/help/website that gives me any info. I'm feeling n00bish....

you have to set the it in the activator. its in settings app, on the left pane you'll see Activator.

dir

macrumors newbie
Aug 15, 2010
Melbourne, Australia
Sorry, that doesn't quite tell me. Activator activates something. I already have Categories active (I.e. The folder is open). I need to close it and return to where I was.

So for example if I'm at my home screen and open a folder then want to close it and return to my home screen, the only way I can seem to do this is by either opening one of the apps in the folder or pushing the home button, or using a different gesture to trigger an Activator action.

I just want to browse my folders like I would my springboard screens.

If there's a way to configure Activator to do something like 'return to previous screen' or 'close app' or even 'go to next springboard screen' can someone tell me where that is? I don't see it. I can see Activator system functions but none allow me to 'close and return' etc.

Am I interpreting the guy incorrectly? Is it not a natural action to open a folder then close it?

iThinman

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2010
To close a category without launching an app, you need to either press the home button, or press the category again. Since the category can no longer be seen if launched from a home window, you are better off placing the category in the dock.

You can use infinidock to put as many in the dock as you'd like.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
To close a category without launching an app, you need to either press the home button, or press the category again. Since the category can no longer be seen if launched from a home window, you are better off placing the category in the dock.

Exactly. I placed all my Category icons in the dock. If you push a different category icon while one category is open, the second category folder springs up and replaces the first one. Much quicker than switching betweeen folders in iOS4! :)

Ksane

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2010
dir said:
Don't feel bad, it took me awhile to figure some of these apps out, too. CategoriesSB included. I had installed Categories 1st, then bought CategoriesSB a few days later and installed it overtop the 1st one. I could've sworn there was an option in the original Categories that enabled you to swipe up or down to close, that's how I chose to close the folder. But I've since uninstalled both of them, then installed only CategoriesSB and I just looked and can't find that option anywhere.
However-in Activator I set up a single swipe down from the status bar to simulate a push of the Home button. So that works excellent to close the folders and to close any app instead of clicking the physical button. Try that, it's incredibly handy to be able to close all apps and folders that way.

lokerd

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2010
Beaumont
iThinman said:

Ok, now that I have infinidock set up, is there anyway to make the icons smaller in the iPad? I have it set to 12...but it looks cramped on portrait orientation.

Thanks!

ubberDork

macrumors newbie
Aug 20, 2010
Beautimous

Hi guys, I was wondering if someone could tell me how I can make it so the folders don't move when going from landscape to portrait and vice versa? It's driving me crazy. I appreciate the help and the idea for doing this theme....thanks

lokerd

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2010
Beaumont
ubberDork said:
Hi guys, I was wondering if someone could tell me how I can make it so the folders don't move when going from landscape to portrait and vice versa? It's driving me crazy. I appreciate the help and the idea for doing this theme....thanks

I know what you are talking about. My plan was to put as much in the dock as possible. I got Infinidock and Shrink. So, now I have 12 icons in my dock...10 of them are folders. This leaves only 4 folders on the main page. I may play wi is some more and get it down to where I have exactly 12 folders (which a good fit at 50% with shrink), stick them all in the dock, and leave a few apps at the top.

iThinman

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2010
lokerd said:
I know what you are talking about. My plan was to put as much in the dock as possible. I got Infinidock and Shrink. So, now I have 12 icons in my dock...10 of them are folders. This leaves only 4 folders on the main page. I may play wi is some more and get it down to where I have exactly 12 folders (which a good fit at 50% with shrink), stick them all in the dock, and leave a few apps at the top.

Are you using Iconoclasm? If not, grab it. I like it at 8x5, but with shrink you should be able to go higher and fit them comfortably.

ubberDork

macrumors newbie
Aug 20, 2010
Yea

I have 12 on the dock as well and used shrink to get them to a manageable size. I only have 4 folders on the page. But I gotta keep my iPad in landscape to keep those folders in line to mimic the Mac osx set up. Btw, thanks for the response :)

scorpio333

macrumors member
Apr 11, 2008
Working on the OSX theme, forgot how much fun theming is. Haven't done it since the old 1.1.4 ipod touch days. I've got infinidock 1.3 installed, with "scrolling" and "start at left" enabled. Eight items on the dock. Portrait looks fine, rotate to landscape and everything slides left. I've tried a bunch of different combinations of settings and nothing seems to change. Do the updated versions fix this?

btw, thanks shaotse for sharing your work!

lokerd

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2010
Beaumont
Got them ALL in the dock...

Ok, I did it...and they aren't too small actually.

I have all 14 folders in the dock, shrunk to 35% is perfect. I shortened the name on a few, but I am pretty happy with this layout now. Very pleased.

Here is a link if it doesn't show up...

http://loker.smugmug.com/photos/978617047_CWrK9-L.jpg

And I am also pleased to post my first image from the iPad...worked through the hoops to figure out how to get a photo uploaded for, the iPad, etc.

Btw, in case your curious, the picture is actually my own star trails I took last November in Colorado...6x 10 minute exposures stacked.

Attachments

• 978617047_CWrK9-L.jpg
    978617047_CWrK9-L.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 232

simontay78

macrumors newbie
Apr 26, 2009
This is a great theme and kudos to you I gotten it up :D

The only change I did is the status bar image photoshop-ed to accommodate the WIFI & 3G signal bars for iPad 3G :D

My-iPad-MacOSX-theme.jpg

austinbpaul

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2010
amazing theme! ive got everything to work but the finder status bar, ive tried uninstalling/reinstalling the main theme included in the download but its still not working. the status bar just ends up being grey and my carrier/bars are white and impossible to read! anyone know of a fix?
thanks so much!

austinbpaul

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2010
This is a great theme and kudos to you I gotten it up :D

The only change I did is the status bar image photoshop-ed to accommodate the WIFI & 3G signal bars for iPad 3G :D

My-iPad-MacOSX-theme.jpg

how did fix the status bar? I finally got the finder bar to show up but my carrier and wi-fi/3g signal bars are covering the bar. I removed the carrier name with MAKEITMINE but i still haven't been able to fix the statusbar in photoshop, any help would be great!
thanks so much
austin

vastoholic

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
Tulsa, OK
So quick question to everyone. If I want to theme my calendar app, is there anything special I need to do in order to keep the number updating on it?

BHP41

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2010
United States of America
Hey guys. Very very nice work from you all. I really new to the iPad/iPhone theme that's not already ready to go. Lol. Yes a newb. Is there a thread where I could read the instructions on how to actually go about achieving what you guys are doing? Thanks in advance.

willber

macrumors member
Apr 7, 2010
Wow shaotse, this theme looks amazing!

Downloaded the zip you uploaded, and am trying to get all of the icons exported ready to change when I get it.

I downloaded Candybar, but am stuck on how to get the icons from here and into Photoshop so I can export them at 80X80.

The closest I got was right clicking the thumbnails in Candybar, and then copying it. I assumed I should do 'Copy icon and mask' but when I do this and paste it into photoshop it is only 32X32.

Sorry if I'm being stupid (probably am) but can someone give me some pointers? Or is there an easier way to extract the icons from the iContainer so that they are ready to SSH into the iPad

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.