Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kkh786

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2013
United Kingdom
If anybody is looking for a Sheath for the 15PM in the U.K. then I’ve got 2 available (Caudabe sent 2 out as warranty replacement, they went missing, I gave up waiting so went to another case which I prefer, then the Sheaths turned up).

1 x Black & 1 x Amethyst.

Sent you a PM mate.

Reactions: Mr Knight

iFone88

macrumors 68020
Oct 5, 2018
If anybody is looking for a Sheath for the 15PM in the U.K. then I’ve got 2 available (Caudabe sent 2 out as warranty replacement, they went missing, I gave up waiting so went to another case which I prefer, then the Sheaths turned up).

1 x Black & 1 x Amethyst.
I will also have Grey sheath for the 15 Pro available in the next couple of days

Reactions: macher

jack_1992

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 17, 2020
Wow I didn’t realise this thread was still going!

It’s been an up and down relationship with these cases this year!
I changed from a Pro to Pro Max and bought the Synthesis for the PM. I like it generally but those buttons aren’t ideal. I saw someone post about trying to use them a few minutes with the phone off and it seems to help.

To be fair to Caudabe, they’re sending out another case with the new batch to try. Their QC has been poor this year, service not much better but I have loved their cases in previous years and really hope this is just a blip this year.

SR Steve

macrumors regular
Jul 9, 2010
They told me something different. I had a similar issue and they swapped mine out for a new one. They even said this was a known issue on some and that there was a fix for it. Anyway, they sent me out a new one and it’s been great so far. No imprint. You should try asking them again.

Great case still with or without the imprint which wasn’t really a big issue. I didn’t even ask them for a new one and they just offered it so who am I to refuse lol
Caudabe solicited a review of my Sheath and I responded asking if the ring impression was normal or if I received a faulty one. They requested a photo and after review agreed to replace it. Because of delays I was offered the choice of another color to ship immediately, or wait 2 more weeks for the backlogged gray. My black Sheath replacement (shipped 12/13) - scheduled by USPS to arrive yesterday (12/18) - is now expected to be here tomorrow (12/20)

The revised models have supposedly addressed complaints regarding the volume/action buttons by lengthening the slits to facilitate movement. Reports are that they do improve the feel. I should know by tomorrow and I'll respond with my thoughts regarding the buttons and the back surface of the case.

SR Steve

macrumors regular
Jul 9, 2010
Surprise Surprise, my Sheath 15PM replacement case just arrived!

From my initial impressions it appears that Caudabe listened to our concerns and acted upon the two complaints that most users had with the Sheath, the stubborn left-side buttons, and the ring impression showing through on the back of the case.

1) The slits on the black case (L) have been elongated to mimic the feel of the side button on the right side of the case, which always functioned properly. Those buttons now feel just as tactile as those on my other two cases which work perfectly, the Pitaka MagEZ Case Pro 4, and the Elago silicone, which unlike the Sheath's molded-in buttons, are metal & plastic and press-fit into the case.

2) The new black case doesn't show any initial ring impression as did the one it replaced, the gray one on the right, whose circular imprint is slightly more evident due to use than when I first received it on November 4th. I can't tell by feel if the back material is any thicker on the revised black case but it is slightly heavier - 46.46g vs 46.15g, fwiw.

IMG_2328.jpg
IMG_2329.jpg

So any of you waiting for your Sheath replacement should be getting the revised version and we can check back to see how the case holds up over time under MagSafe usage... 🥂

Last edited:

macher

macrumors 68040
Oct 13, 2012

From my initial impressions it appears that Caudabe listened to our concerns and acted upon the two complaints that most users had with the Sheath, the stubborn left-side buttons, and the ring impression showing through on the back of the case.

1) The slits on the black case (L) have been elongated to mimic the feel of the side button on the right side of the case, which always functioned properly. Those buttons now feel just as tactile as those on my other two cases which work perfectly, the Pitaka MagEZ Case Pro 4, and the Elago silicone, which unlike the Sheath's molded-in buttons, are metal & plastic and press-fit into the case.

2) The new black case doesn't show any initial ring impression as did the one it replaced, the gray one on the right, whose circular imprint is slightly more evident due to use than when I first received it on November 4th. I can't tell by feel if the back material is any thicker on the revised black case but it is slightly heavier - 46.46g vs 46.15g, fwiw.

View attachment 2326789 View attachment 2326790
So any of you waiting for your Sheath replacement should be getting the revised version and we can check back to see how the case holds up over time under MagSafe usage... 🥂
Can’t wait to get mine hopefully Thursday.

Wait you’re saying the new Sheath buttons are just as tactile as the Pitaka pro?

SR Steve

macrumors regular
Jul 9, 2010
To my calloused digits they all work as designed and within reasonable parameters… more sensitive souls may disagree but I’m happy with the changes.

JBlass421

macrumors 68020
Oct 29, 2019

So any of you waiting for your Sheath replacement should be getting the revised version and we can check back to see how the case holds up over time under MagSafe usage...

Nice I have replacement black and gray sheaths arriving, I should get a synthesis replacement as well since they’ve done the same on it. The volume up and down and action button could use improving on it even though it’s not a deal breaker for me as I love the Synthesis but that would make it even better.

macher

macrumors 68040
Oct 13, 2012
Nice I have replacement black and gray sheaths arriving, I should get a synthesis replacement as well since they’ve done the same on it. The volume up and down and action button could use improving on it even though it’s not a deal breaker for me as I love the Synthesis but that would make it even better.

Synthy has revisions / updates? Thought it was the Sheath currently.

rulymammoth

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2015

Thanks for putting this together, really helpful. I'm still loving my Sheaths or Synthesis which have been problem free so far but it's interesting to see Caudabe continuing to make refinements.

Reactions: AE14

JBlass421

macrumors 68020
Oct 29, 2019
Thought Tee said only the Sheath for now.

I was just referring to this. My 2 replacement sheaths are on their way. I’m in no rush to get my replacement synthesis. It’s my daily case (wear it more than sheath) and I love it, buttons on it aren’t terrible but I’ll take better, I’ll reach out to them next month about it to give it some time.

f8475587dd627223f23db263c8116a2a.jpg

walds11

macrumors 68000
May 30, 2010
Can someone post side-by-side pics of the Sheath and Synthesis? I am more interested in the side profile thickness. How about the weights?

And why did you pick one over the other?

I am leaning towards the Synthesis…

off2marz

macrumors 6502
Oct 31, 2023
Can someone post side-by-side pics of the Sheath and Synthesis? I am more interested in the side profile thickness. How about the weights?

And why did you pick one over the other?

I am leaning towards the Synthesis…
Here are all my side by side pics of Sheath (black) & Synthesis (grey). I ended up returning the Synthesis bc the side grips were too aggressive for my palm, but initially I really liked it. This would probably depend on your skin texture. Both are very solid cases.

Edit to add: in weight and dimensions, they are pretty much the same. Synthesis appears just a little wider.

Attachments

• IMG_0019.jpeg
    IMG_0019.jpeg
    628.1 KB · Views: 140
  • IMG_0029.jpeg
    IMG_0029.jpeg
    522.6 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG_0036.jpeg
    IMG_0036.jpeg
    425.4 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_0034.jpeg
    IMG_0034.jpeg
    398.8 KB · Views: 110
  • IMG_8609.jpeg
    IMG_8609.jpeg
    370.6 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_8616.jpeg
    IMG_8616.jpeg
    476.2 KB · Views: 110
Last edited:

Infinitewisdom

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2012
Here are all my side by side pics of Sheath (black) & Synthesis (grey). I ended up returning the Synthesis bc the side grips were too aggressive for my palm, but initially I really liked it. This would probably depend on your skin texture. Both are very solid cases.

Edit to add: in weight and dimensions, they are pretty much the same. Synthesis appears just a little wider.
That's a good point about skin texture. I have a buddy who loves the Synthesis side grips so much he says he won't ever get another case without it. I tried and like it too. They should make a Sheath with those grips. I just can't get away from the Sheath. Perfect all around case for me.

Djones96

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2022
That's a good point about skin texture. I have a buddy who loves the Synthesis side grips so much he says he won't ever get another case without it. I tried and like it too. They should make a Sheath with those grips. I just can't get away from the Sheath. Perfect all around case for me.
Although the grip on the sides of the Synthesis feel great to me, I don't like the slick plastic feel of the back of the case. Initially I liked the Synthesis more than the Sheath because it just felt better in the hand (Slightly slimmer, better grip) but I grew tired of the texture of the back of the case, and I realized that for me, the Sheath is the clear winner.

The buttons bother me, but I can look past those, and my replacement Sheath should be here soon. I've noticed a trend, no matter how many cases I buy because I think they'll be a good replacement for the Sheath, I keep coming back lol. My Mous case should be here tomorrow according to usps, and I have high hopes for it, we'll see if it can dethrone the Sheath.

walds11

macrumors 68000
May 30, 2010
You are correct! Tee said only the sheath was updated for now and the synthesis will updated next week (End of Month) I have my synthesis coming tomorrow, maybe I get luckily and get an unexpected updated version, we’ll see.
Good to know. Imma order the Synthesis once the refinements are integrated.

Reactions: Delorean2006

MM301

macrumors regular
Apr 29, 2020
Although the grip on the sides of the Synthesis feel great to me, I don't like the slick plastic feel of the back of the case. Initially I liked the Synthesis more than the Sheath because it just felt better in the hand (Slightly slimmer, better grip) but I grew tired of the texture of the back of the case, and I realized that for me, the Sheath is the clear winner.

The buttons bother me, but I can look past those, and my replacement Sheath should be here soon. I've noticed a trend, no matter how many cases I buy because I think they'll be a good replacement for the Sheath, I keep coming back lol. My Mous case should be here tomorrow according to usps, and I have high hopes for it, we'll see if it can dethrone the Sheath.
Same. It’s a very “sum of the parts” scenario where the case, as a whole, is really good. They haven’t perfected the roll out of the case, but at least they’re responsive and making updates. It checks most of the boxes (comfort, fit, finish).

Contrast that to the incredible buttons on the Nomad Modern Leather, but the rest of the case is mediocre. The Sheath buttons are more than fine for me.

Reactions: macher and Djones96

Delorean2006

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2012
Good to know. Imma order the Synthesis once the refinements are integrated.
Case is coming today, I mean the buttons were horrible last year but it didn’t bother me because this avoid any clicks I didn’t want when using it on the treadmill which I got all the time with my OtterBox symmetry. The button were amazing but too amazing for that case

Reactions: macher and walds11

macher

macrumors 68040
Oct 13, 2012
Case is coming today, I mean the buttons were horrible last year but it didn’t bother me because this avoid any clicks I didn’t want when using it on the treadmill which I got all the time with my OtterBox symmetry. The button were amazing but too amazing for that case
How’s the new version?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.