Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thelookingglass

macrumors 68020
Apr 27, 2005
Yea I agree best bang for your buck. The Sheath cost me low $30’s including shipping. I don’t use MagSafe much but wanted to test my new Sheath with my popsocket. Overnight it started to develop a “you really have to look” condom ring. Like you said if it wasn’t for Macrumors I wouldn’t have noticed it.

Now if it gets worse for those heavy MagSafe users then yes I see this as an issue.

I wonder how widespread this Sheath issue really is.

I’m getting my Synthesis this week but unfortunately won’t have the new and improved buttons.

I had the Synthesis before then returned it cause of the buttons. Was using it all the time. I think I’m liking the Sheaths all around texture better that comes in handy that I didn’t think was something I would find useful or like. I was always a “as long as it has great grip on the sides” person since Magpul stopped making cases. Now the Sheath gives me that all around texture like the good ole Magpul. Give me the Sheath with some ribs like the Magpul and then it’s gold.

When @TechnicallyTee posted his top case video and picked the Sheath as #1 I was like WTF you got to be kidding. But after using it I can see why. The Sheath doesn’t check all boxes but it checks most boxes for me.
Nicely said. Yeah, every time I come on Macrumors I see at least one "problem" that people are raising hell about that "normal" people wouldn't even bat an eye at. The MagSafe ring thing definitely qualifies. I couldn't care less about that unless it was egregious which it isn't.

I agree, there's just something about the Sheath. Like you I also got the Synthesis for my 15PM and really liked it. I love the grippy bumps they added to the sides. But then I went back to the Sheath and there's just something about the overall package that checks all the boxes like you said. It's the texture, the fit, the form, the look, the magnets? It's just an all around great product with no glaring weaknesses, which is I think why people like it so much. Hell, I've been using a Sheath basically every day for the past who knows how many years by now. At least 7.

Reactions: macher

thelookingglass

macrumors 68020
Apr 27, 2005
Leather, aramid fiber, wood, various organic composites, etc.
I'm pretty sure those are usually just an outer material wrapped around plastic though. Like the Apple Silicone and Finewoven cases have plastic at their core given some of the teardowns I've seen on Youtube.

macher

macrumors 68040
Oct 13, 2012
Nicely said. Yeah, every time I come on Macrumors I see at least one "problem" that people are raising hell about that "normal" people wouldn't even bat an eye at. The MagSafe ring thing definitely qualifies. I couldn't care less about that unless it was egregious which it isn't.

I agree, there's just something about the Sheath. Like you I also got the Synthesis for my 15PM and really liked it. I love the grippy bumps they added to the sides. But then I went back to the Sheath and there's just something about the overall package that checks all the boxes like you said. It's the texture, the fit, the form, the look, the magnets? It's just an all around great product with no glaring weaknesses, which is I think why people like it so much. Hell, I've been using a Sheath basically every day for the past who knows how many years by now. At least 7.
If it wasn’t for reading Mac Rumors I would still have my Synthesis. To be honest I wanted to be part of the crowd that complained about the buttons that if no one said anything I wouldn’t have returned it and been happy.

I actually bought a pop socket because I read here about the condom ring and wanted to see if it would happen. Otherwise wouldn’t have bought a pop socket. I only paid $5 on clearance.

Then you have people complain that it’s too heavy compared to the Apple silicone and “it shouldn’t be that heavy”. I have more confidence in the Sheath from a chest high drop than the Apple Silicone.

Then you have those that complain about they can’t stand the texture after a day of use like it hurts or something lol.

Did I miss anything?

I have to say that without a doubt I can see why the Sheath is loved so much. It’s just a damn good ALL around case with not much negatives.

I can’t say anything bad about this f*cker.

Surfsalot

macrumors 68000
Mar 18, 2023
If it wasn’t for reading Mac Rumors I would still have my Synthesis. To be honest I wanted to be part of the crowd that complained about the buttons that if no one said anything I wouldn’t have returned it and been happy.

I actually bought a pop socket because I read here about the condom ring and wanted to see if it would happen. Otherwise wouldn’t have bought a pop socket. I only paid $5 on clearance.

Then you have people complain that it’s too heavy compared to the Apple silicone and “it shouldn’t be that heavy”. I have more confidence in the Sheath from a chest high drop than the Apple Silicone.

Then you have those that complain about they can’t stand the texture after a day of use like it hurts or something lol.

Did I miss anything?

I have to say that without a doubt I can see why the Sheath is loved so much. It’s just a damn good ALL around case with not much negatives.

1 it’s heavy
2 buttons average
3 sides not firm enough
4 lint sticks to it ask @Hooterville
5 rough but not grippy
6 gets white marks
7 condom ring
8 over priced
9 drop rating is over rated
10 3 months on they are still sending out duds lol

walds11

macrumors 68000
May 30, 2010
1 it’s heavy
2 buttons average
3 sides not firm enough
4 lint sticks to it ask @Hooterville
5 rough but not grippy
6 gets white marks
7 condom ring
8 over priced
9 drop rating is over rated
10 3 months on they are still sending out duds lol
@macher must be drinking the Caudabe kool-aid 🤣

Anyway, it is a decent case from my limited experience with it. I ended up ordering the Synthesis because it checks most of my boxes.

KentuckyHouse

macrumors 68030
Jan 29, 2010
Lexington, KY.
This is patently false. You keep saying this too. Have you tried a 15 copy of their case? These sides could hardly be firmer.

I’m not the biggest fan, but this firm side thing is just wrong and people should know that as they review these posts.

The only 2 on that list that may potentially be true are 7 and 8. The other ones range from untruths to lies to delusional.

rulymammoth

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2015

Did I miss anything?

Do people really complain that the Sheath is too heavy? That one takes the cake. But that's MacRumors for you!

I've been really surprised by how much I like the Synthesis this year. I've always been a Sheath guy and have two of them this year, but I've been using the Synthesis more than I ever have in the past and have really been liking it.

macher

macrumors 68040
Oct 13, 2012
Do people really complain that the Sheath is too heavy? That one takes the cake. But that's MacRumors for you!

I've been really surprised by how much I like the Synthesis this year. I've always been a Sheath guy and have two of them this year, but I've been using the Synthesis more than I ever have in the past and have really been liking it.
Yea. I’ll be getting my Synthesis back hopefully tomorrow. I’m really liking the Sheath though.

macher

macrumors 68040
Oct 13, 2012

To be clear. Some have said that the Sheath is heavy in relation to the protection it provides. In other words some have said that the Apple silicone case offers the same drop protection as the Sheath and is much lighter in weight.

walds11

macrumors 68000
May 30, 2010

Why have you really been liking the Synthesis?

KentuckyHouse

macrumors 68030
Jan 29, 2010
Lexington, KY.
Don’t forget @Surfsalot made a claim that his Sheath practically “exploded” or the sides blew apart when he dropped it.

Yep, that was the moment I knew I couldn’t take their opinions seriously. People can complain about a few different things on the Sheath (not that I agree, but cases are personal, so what works for one person may not work for another), but saying the Sheath is “loose” on the sides is ludicrous. It may be the tightest case I own outside of the Synthesis and Rebel Frosted (and I’m not complaining. I like cases to be tight).

macher

macrumors 68040
Oct 13, 2012
Yep, that was the moment I knew I couldn’t take their opinions seriously. People can complain about a few different things on the Sheath (not that I agree, but cases are personal, so what works for one person may not work for another), but saying the Sheath is “loose” on the sides is ludicrous. It may be the tightest case I own outside of the Synthesis and Rebel Frosted (and I’m not complaining. I like cases to be tight).
Yea checking my Sheath as we speak, the sides are pretty tight.

Surfsalot

macrumors 68000
Mar 18, 2023
If you take into account all his previous usernames here, it’s a lot more complaints than many realise. I don’t remember him complaining about the Sheath he had on his iPhone 12 three years ago though, seemed complimentary about it then.
Never had a iPhone 12 lol, had a 12 max and no sheath, you have some issues.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.