Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

walds11

macrumors 68000
May 30, 2010

macher

macrumors 68040
Oct 13, 2012
Surprise Surprise, my Sheath 15PM replacement case just arrived!

From my initial impressions it appears that Caudabe listened to our concerns and acted upon the two complaints that most users had with the Sheath, the stubborn left-side buttons, and the ring impression showing through on the back of the case.

1) The slits on the black case (L) have been elongated to mimic the feel of the side button on the right side of the case, which always functioned properly. Those buttons now feel just as tactile as those on my other two cases which work perfectly, the Pitaka MagEZ Case Pro 4, and the Elago silicone, which unlike the Sheath's molded-in buttons, are metal & plastic and press-fit into the case.

2) The new black case doesn't show any initial ring impression as did the one it replaced, the gray one on the right, whose circular imprint is slightly more evident due to use than when I first received it on November 4th. I can't tell by feel if the back material is any thicker on the revised black case but it is slightly heavier - 46.46g vs 46.15g, fwiw.

View attachment 2326789 View attachment 2326790
So any of you waiting for your Sheath replacement should be getting the revised version and we can check back to see how the case holds up over time under MagSafe usage... 🥂
Any updates on the condom ring?

macher

macrumors 68040
Oct 13, 2012
It’s been mentioned that the Sy
Here are all my side by side pics of Sheath (black) & Synthesis (grey). I ended up returning the Synthesis bc the side grips were too aggressive for my palm, but initially I really liked it. This would probably depend on your skin texture. Both are very solid cases.

Edit to add: in weight and dimensions, they are pretty much the same. Synthesis appears just a little wider.
Looks the the Synthesis is slightly wider than the Sheath.

What about the height and depth between the 2?

off2marz

macrumors 6502
Oct 31, 2023
It’s been mentioned that the Sy

Looks the the Synthesis is slightly wider than the Sheath.

What about the height and depth between the 2?
Right. The width might be due to the side grip dots. I don’t have a pic showing height and depth, but I believe it was very similar.

Reactions: macher

JBlass421

macrumors 68020
Oct 29, 2019
So I just received revised Sheaths (gray and black) the buttons are amazing but the gray sheath you can totally see the MagSafe ring out of the box.

It is so frustrating as I want to love the Sheath this year so bad.

I have to crown the Synthesis as #1 personally. With these more tactile buttons on the Synthesis it’ll be the perfect case for me.

Reactions: walds11

walds11

macrumors 68000
May 30, 2010
So I just received revised Sheaths (gray and black) the buttons are amazing but the gray sheath you can totally see the MagSafe ring out of the box.

It is so frustrating as I want to love the Sheath this year so bad.

I have to crown the Synthesis as #1 personally. With these more tactile buttons on the Synthesis it’ll be the perfect case for me.
That is disappointing. Lighter colors are going to show the c ring more than darker colors. I hope they fix it though.

I ordered the Synthesis in celestial blue color on Friday afternoon after inquiring about the revisions. From Caudabe:

Any order placed from this point on includes the version with the minor tweaks.

I should have it by EOW. Fingers crossed it’s all good.

Amplelink

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2012
I posted below on the big case recommendation thread just now. It's interesting because I have no problems with the indentation whether it's there or not. The buttons are definitely clickier and even better than before which is the more important thing to me (even though I was happy with the prior version's buttons too).

I've got multiple Sheaths for my family including mine. All except one have no visible MagSafe indentation on the back. On my dad's I can kind of see it but it's not anything that would bug him or me if I had it. The cases are otherwise performing really well and we've been using these for months now.

Hooterville

macrumors 603
Sep 24, 2012
My issue with the symmetry is that it pops off the phone way too easily. I tried two different ones, and they both do the same thing. Corners will pop off when I take the phone out of my pocket.
I've never ran into that problem.

Reactions: Zensō

walds11

macrumors 68000
May 30, 2010
I contacted Caudabe on social media and they just got back to me:

Hey there! At this time we are working on making small adjustments to the buttons on Synthesis. These updates aren’t reflected in existing cases but are anticipated around early to mid January.

I specifically asked about the Synthesis. They obviously provided misinformation in their reply to my email on Friday. Anyway, I ordered the Synthesis celestial blue on Friday based on that information (already received shipping email and should receive before EOW). Oh well. I am still excited about the case and will deal with the crap buttons, for now. I am sure they will make it right by sending me the updated Synthesis when it is available.

Harmonious Zen

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2013
I thought it was a flaw in my first one- then it happened again. Was very disappointing
And it's not just Otterbox, it happens with many other cases. That's why I like the Sheath and Synthesis so much and keep coming back to them. I probably tried 6 or 7 cases this year. The Sheath and Synthesis fit the best. When you put them on, you know they're not going to pop off. Great quality.

• Haha
Reactions: Surfsalot and AE14

Harmonious Zen

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2013
I posted below on the big case recommendation thread just now. It's interesting because I have no problems with the indentation whether it's there or not. The buttons are definitely clickier and even better than before which is the more important thing to me (even though I was happy with the prior version's buttons too).

I've got multiple Sheaths for my family including mine. All except one have no visible MagSafe indentation on the back. On my dad's I can kind of see it but it's not anything that would bug him or me if I had it. The cases are otherwise performing really well and we've been using these for months now.

When I compared Caudabe cases to the other cases I bought this year, they were easily the best bang for your buck. I get that everyone has different preferences and maybe my group of friends and I just got lucky. But, I know at least 10 or more people in my personal life who use Caudabe cases and I haven't heard a peep about bad buttons or MagSafe indents or whatever else people on here complain about. My buttons work great and I don't see a magnet indent. Even if I did, the issue reminds me a lot of my wife's Apple leather case which has a very obvious ring from using MagSafe all the time. It's just something that happens with Apple leather cases and she doesn't care at all. I think I honestly only noticed because I read Macrumors! 😆

Zensō

Contributor
Oct 9, 2015
Good ole Symmetry o_O
Yup, old reliable.
And it's not just Otterbox, it happens with many other cases. That's why I like the Sheath and Synthesis so much and keep coming back to them. I probably tried 6 or 7 cases this year. The Sheath and Synthesis fit the best. When you put them on, you know they're not going to pop off. Great quality.
I’ve enjoyed their cases in years past, but the multiple Caudabe cases with defects I either returned or gave away this year were nowhere near “great quality”. Hoping they get back on track and get on top of their quality control for next year.

thelookingglass

macrumors 68020
Apr 27, 2005
I just got in three more Sheaths as last minute belated Christmas gifts for family who got new phones, and another one for me (different color). You can't tell the prior version from the revised version just by looking (at least I can't tell), but the differences are more obvious once you use them and compare them.

I had no issues with my prior Sheath and was loving it already, but the new ones have a noticeably stronger MagSafe magnet. My prior one was already strong enough for me, but the magnets on the new ones are even stronger.

Buttons are definitely more clicky too. Again, I had no problems with my last Sheath, but you can tell the buttons are clickier than before. No magnet imprint on the back on any of these, but I'm also not the type to nitpick over small, purely aesthetic things.

Overall, they made a great case a little bit better. Very happy and I'm sure the people I gift these to will be happy too.

Reactions: macher

thelookingglass

macrumors 68020
Apr 27, 2005
Agreed. The Apple Silicone case was like that. Loose to the point of being unusable after a while.

I don't know what specific changes Caudabe made, but the fit on both my Sheath and Synthesis are much tighter than in years past and I basically get a Sheath every year so I would know. Feels very, very solid and high quality. I hope they keep it this way.

Reactions: KentuckyHouse

macher

macrumors 68040
Oct 13, 2012
When I compared Caudabe cases to the other cases I bought this year, they were easily the best bang for your buck. I get that everyone has different preferences and maybe my group of friends and I just got lucky. But, I know at least 10 or more people in my personal life who use Caudabe cases and I haven't heard a peep about bad buttons or MagSafe indents or whatever else people on here complain about. My buttons work great and I don't see a magnet indent. Even if I did, the issue reminds me a lot of my wife's Apple leather case which has a very obvious ring from using MagSafe all the time. It's just something that happens with Apple leather cases and she doesn't care at all. I think I honestly only noticed because I read Macrumors! 😆
Yea I agree best bang for your buck. The Sheath cost me low $30’s including shipping. I don’t use MagSafe much but wanted to test my new Sheath with my popsocket. Overnight it started to develop a “you really have to look” condom ring. Like you said if it wasn’t for Macrumors I wouldn’t have noticed it.

Now if it gets worse for those heavy MagSafe users then yes I see this as an issue.

I wonder how widespread this Sheath issue really is.

I’m getting my Synthesis this week but unfortunately won’t have the new and improved buttons.

I had the Synthesis before then returned it cause of the buttons. Was using it all the time. I think I’m liking the Sheaths all around texture better that comes in handy that I didn’t think was something I would find useful or like. I was always a “as long as it has great grip on the sides” person since Magpul stopped making cases. Now the Sheath gives me that all around texture like the good ole Magpul. Give me the Sheath with some ribs like the Magpul and then it’s gold.

When @TechnicallyTee posted his top case video and picked the Sheath as #1 I was like WTF you got to be kidding. But after using it I can see why. The Sheath doesn’t check all boxes but it checks most boxes for me.

Last edited:

Surfsalot

macrumors 68000
Mar 18, 2023
Agreed. The Apple Silicone case was like that. Loose to the point of being unusable after a while.

I don't know what specific changes Caudabe made, but the fit on both my Sheath and Synthesis are much tighter than in years past and I basically get a Sheath every year so I would know. Feels very, very solid and high quality. I hope they keep it this way.
high quality plastic 😂

Reactions: Zensō and macher
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.