Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jweir2022

macrumors newbie
Dec 21, 2018
Good few days testing. Can’t say I’ve noticed any slow down on Netflix or YouTube. 6
Months in I can finally start enjoying my phone again.

The phone also feels a bit more snappier going in and out of menus, apps opening etc.

It’s so great having auto brightness back.

Got my fingers crossed it stays fixed in the gold master.

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
Still working well for my colleague as well, his was still stuttering even with auto-brightness off so he is especially happy. Hope this doesnt revert back in any future updates and stays this way!

Reactions: igroeg

igroeg

macrumors regular
Feb 22, 2019
Glad to hear things have been (seemingly!) sorted out. Would anyone care to share their phone's manufacturing date/week? You can get that information via the website below:

http://www.chipmunk.nl/klantenservice/applemodel.html

I'm curious whether these issues are/were more apparent on older production models or not.

Thanks in advance!

CPx

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2013
My XS Max has these video issues and I got it on preorder. So presumably it's among the earliest production runs.

igroeg

macrumors regular
Feb 22, 2019
My XS Max has these video issues and I got it on preorder. So presumably it's among the earliest production runs.
My XS was made in November and still had the issues. I'm trying to see if phones that were built in January/February (for example) exhibit the reported issues. But I guess most people who have complained here (including myself) have had their devices for quite some time now.

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
Glad to hear things have been (seemingly!) sorted out. Would anyone care to share their phone's manufacturing date/week? You can get that information via the website below:

http://www.chipmunk.nl/klantenservice/applemodel.html

I'm curious whether these issues are/were more apparent on older production models or not.

Thanks in advance!

I don't think that will make
My XS was made in November and still had the issues. I'm trying to see if phones that were built in January/February (for example) exhibit the reported issues. But I guess most people who have complained here (including myself) have had their devices for quite some time now.

I don't think the phone manufactured date will make much of a difference as this appears to be a software issue. Any phone with iOS before 12.3 beta 2 will have to the issue to a certain degree regardless of manufacturing date I think.... Some people are just more sensitive to it than others.... Some may not even notice it, and some will notice even the slightest bit of stutter.

Reactions: blesio and igroeg

igroeg

macrumors regular
Feb 22, 2019
I don't think that will make
I don't think the phone manufactured date will make much of a difference as this appears to be a software issue. Any phone with iOS before 12.3 beta 2 will have to the issue to a certain degree regardless of manufacturing date I think.... Some people are just more sensitive to it than others.... Some may not even notice it, and some will notice even the slightest bit of stutter.

Like I've said many times before, hopefully you're right and it's just a software issue.

blesio

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2011
Seems so (software issue), Apple states it should be fixed now ;)
f4c1bceb1eb69def09b7bd5f63ff793a.jpg
and wants me to acknowledge that it’s gone with the newest beta ;)

Reactions: CPx

Cobold

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2014
Dieburg, Germany

A friend of mine got his new XS Max this week and it it's manufacture date is week 12/2019 (late March 2019).
It came with iOS 12.1.3 preinstalled and he updated to 12.2 and he is also experiencing this issue reported here.
It told him to install the latest beta of iOS 12.3 but he's afraid of beta software and prefers to wait for final release :rolleyes:

So yes - also the "newer" production date iPhones are affected.

Reactions: blesio

igroeg

macrumors regular
Feb 22, 2019
A friend of mine got his new XS Max this week and it it's manufacture date is week 12/2019 (late March 2019).
It came with iOS 12.1.3 preinstalled and he updated to 12.2 and he is also experiencing this issue reported here.
It told him to install the latest beta of iOS 12.3 but he's afraid of beta software and prefers to wait for final release :rolleyes:

So yes - also the "newer" production date iPhones are affected.
Thanks for confirming this! Well, if nothing else, I believe that newer production models have (or at least should have) less and less hardware discrepancies, as the manufacturing processes get more streamlined. Sadly this doesn't pertain to the software.

uecker87

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2014
Madison, WI
I installed 12.3 beta 4 today and it really does feel fixed. FINALLY. Ha.

I know people above said the earlier betas fixed it, but after hearing how bad beta 2 and 3 were I decided to wait until this 4th one dropped as hopefully it is more stable overall. Glad I did.

Reactions: blesio

seaw

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2012
Since the problem seams to be fixed...Who has problems watching videos with low frame rates on an OLED compared to an LCD? The quick response time of OLED let’s content stutter. I just can not get over it. 24p makes me dizzy. Do you guys know if that would be the same case with Micro LED? Maybe they will implement MLED into iPhone someday.
I’m thinking about never buying an OLED iPhone just because of that stuttering.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Since the problem seams to be fixed...Who has problems watching videos with low frame rates on an OLED compared to an LCD? The quick response time of OLED let’s content stutter. I just can not get over it. 24p makes me dizzy. Do you guys know if that would be the same case with Micro LED? Maybe they will implement MLED into iPhone someday.
I would think you would be able to go into an Apple store and try out a micro led product...whenever it’s released.

igroeg

macrumors regular
Feb 22, 2019
So it still stutters with 24p content?

blesio

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2011
Yes but not like previously, where you couldn’t bare to watch videos ;)
Now the problem is purely display issue, where the display has 60Hz refresh rate and the content has 24, there is no way that will play ok, unless you up the FPS of the video or lower the refresh rate of the display ;)

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Do you have an example of a show that exhibits this?

seaw

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2012
Do you have an example of a show that exhibits this?

95 percent of Netflix
95 percent of iTunes
80 percent of YouTube

All 24p content. If you choose 60 FPS on YouTube it’ll be fine... great to be exact.

If you never noticed it, don’t even bother to find out.
If you compare iPhone XS and XR side by side you will notice the stutter.
Personally I can not enjoy any content on an OLED because I constantly see the effect and can not stop thinking about it, get completely irritated by it.
[doublepost=1557003334][/doublepost]
Same issue. We just have to wait for 120Hz OLED, that should fix the issue.
I think also 120 Hz would not help. If so, the 60 Hz we have right now should be fine. It has to do with low frequency content, around those 24 FPS and the fast respond of the OLED. The LCD just can not react as fast and smears the individual frames, displays the next frame while the previous has not disappeared completely. Content appears to be smoother.

blesio

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2011
120Hz would help a lot. 120 can be divided by every movie speed and gives a full number which means no frame skipping ;) it would be as simple as adding additional full frames from the missing time but whole frames which means no skipping ;)

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
95 percent of Netflix
95 percent of iTunes
80 percent of YouTube

All 24p content. If you choose 60 FPS on YouTube it’ll be fine... great to be exact.

If you never noticed it, don’t even bother to find out.
If you compare iPhone XS and XR side by side you will notice the stutter.
Personally I can not enjoy any content on an OLED because I constantly see the effect and can not stop thinking about it, get completely irritated by it.
If I saw it on a video it would bother me. I think I may have looked before, but smooth as silk. But wondered if there was something specific.

igroeg

macrumors regular
Feb 22, 2019
So what, it's just an OLED problem? Do the Notes and the Galaxies of the world struggle as well?

blesio

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2011
If I saw it on a video it would bother me. I think I may have looked before, but smooth as silk. But wondered if there was something specific.

Not everyone sees that. Believe me. A lot of people did not see the problems with video playback on the previous iOS 12.3 builds on the Xs

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Not everyone sees that. Believe me. A lot of people did not see the problems with video playback on the previous iOS 12.3 builds on the Xs
I’ve seen videos of what that looked like and it would bother me if I viewed that on my phone. Like house of cards, smooth as silk.

Last edited:

seaw

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2012
120Hz would help a lot. 120 can be divided by every movie speed and gives a full number which means no frame skipping ;) it would be as simple as adding additional full frames from the missing time but whole frames which means no skipping ;)
I think that the creators of movies always will give you the native 24 FPS because there is a great believe in that format. It does not matter if a display can do 60, 120 or more FPS. Also Apple would never try recalculating the native format to something smoother. You can see all the different algorithms that large TVs use to calculate missing frames to get a smoother experience. But that comes with lots of settings to be changed by the user and Apple stands for simplicity and would never introduce complicated settings.
I get the concept that 24 FPS is a format that works well on a cinema screen of of a film role. It is just the wrong format for modern technology displays because they are just to good and show every flaw.
[doublepost=1557050310][/doublepost]
So what, it's just an OLED problem? Do the Notes and the Galaxies of the world struggle as well?
Every OLED Display stutters. Even the large TVs but they have algorithms to make things smoother, does not work all the time. Also every LCD has the same problem but here it’s not as prominent because the reaction time is slower. That means there is an overlap of two following frames which makes the transition not as abrupt as on the OLED panel.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.