Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
Just saw this thread. I've had the XS Max for about 2 weeks now and have streamed lots of video from Netflix, Amazon Prime, YouTube, and my NAS and not seen this. Bluetooth always on (for my headphones), auto brightness & True Tone off.

Works fine for me as well with auto brightness and true tone off..... true tone doesnt matter to me since I hate it, but I am really missing auto-brightness... the minute I turn it on the stuttering starts up again :(

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
Works fine for me as well with auto brightness and true tone off..... true tone doesnt matter to me since I hate it, but I am really missing auto-brightness... the minute I turn it on the stuttering starts up again :(

I don't like either auto-brightness or true tone so they this isn't an issue for me. On the other hand, I turned auto-brightness on and tried to see this issue using Netflix, Amazon Prime, HBO Go, YouTube, and NAS streaming to nPlayer and didn't see stuttering. I moved in and out of brightly lit and dark rooms to exercise auto-brightness.

Farsider

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2014
London, UK
I have seen some slowdown. I watch downloaded Netflix content on the train and every now and then the frame rate drops for a few seconds then comes back.

iPhone XS Max, 256GB with AirPods. True Tone off, auto brightness on.

Hung556

macrumors newbie
Feb 15, 2019
Germany
I think for Dolby Vision content the problem is even worse. Auto-brightness is entirely off track when watching such content. This is what brightness control is supposed to do during Dolby Vision is played back:
  • 50% is the default value: it allows for the maximum brightness with a gamma curve as intended by the movie director
  • Brightness settings below 50% reduce the HDR effect: it dims light scenes and thus makes the movie appear darker, but it also increases the the minimum black level, making dark scenes look more washed out and "LCD-alike" even on OLEDs.
  • Brightness settings above 50% do not increase the actual brightness level of the content, but change the gamma curve, which basically means it increases the contrast in a controlled way and based on meta data. Dark scenes might look even darker at 100% brightness than at 50%.
Apple's implementation of the brightness control for Dolby Vision is absolutely correct on the one hand. On the other hand, however, the automatic brightness control blindly adjusts the brightness even when in Dolby Vision mode, leading to a continuously changing display mode for Dolby Vision. Auto brightness should be turned off automatically when in Dolby Vision mode, select a default setting of 50% and remember any deviation from 50% when manually set by the user for the next time Dolby Vision is being played back. This behavior is standard for OLED based Dolby Vision TV sets and should be being followed by Apple, too.

Reactions: CPx

igroeg

macrumors regular
Feb 22, 2019
Also XR !

Well if that's true, I guess it's not an OLED problem, is it? I'm kind of confused at this point.

Though if I remember correctly, the X doesn't experience this issue, does it?

Hung556

macrumors newbie
Feb 15, 2019
Germany
I contacted Apple support and have been told that they are aware of the issue and have been able to reproduce it and allocate its origin. They are going to fix it in "one of the future iOS 12 updates". However, the upcoming update will definitely not yet solve it.

Reactions: CPx

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
I contacted Apple support and have been told that they are aware of the issue and have been able to reproduce it and allocate its origin. They are going to fix it in "one of the future iOS 12 updates". However, the upcoming update will definitely not yet solve it.

Sadly they've been saying that for the past 3 or 4 releases.

arjun_assi

macrumors member
Oct 31, 2018

Did they actually say they are aware of the issue and they have been able to reproduce it?????????

Can't believe this.

Jweir2022

macrumors newbie
Dec 21, 2018
12.2 issue remains.

I was at the Apple Store last week. The genius went to the back to check the system to see if Apple had it as a known issue. He came back saying he couldn’t see it on there however acknowledged himself that when he googled it there was plenty of results from forums etc.

Seems you get a different store from Apple depending on who you talk to on the phone or in store.

arjun_assi

macrumors member
Oct 31, 2018
12.2 issue remains.

I was at the Apple Store last week. The genius went to the back to check the system to see if Apple had it as a known issue. He came back saying he couldn’t see it on there however acknowledged himself that when he googled it there was plenty of results from forums etc.

Seems you get a different store from Apple depending on who you talk to on the phone or in store.

So What happened after that? What were the next steps that they proposed to you?

Last edited:

arjun_assi

macrumors member
Oct 31, 2018
Guy was sorry he couldn’t help but he reckoned it was software and hopefully it will be addressed in updates.
Hopefully ?? Never thought I'd hear that from Apple. Anyways just wanted to understand what are users in countries that have Apple stores getting reply as.
Did they not log it ?

Jweir2022

macrumors newbie
Dec 21, 2018
Hopefully ?? Never thought I'd hear that from Apple. Anyways just wanted to understand that what are users in countries that have Apple stores getting reply as.
Did they not log it ?

He just added notes against my phones serial number in some kind of Apple care or in store logging system. Don’t know how far that filters back to testers/ developers etc.

arjun_assi

macrumors member
Oct 31, 2018
He just added notes against my phones serial number in some kind of Apple care or in store logging system. Don’t know how far that filters back to testers/ developers etc.
Hmm. Thanks for the update. Someone on this thread mentioned that they were able to get a definite acknowledgement from Apple regarding this issue. Hopefully he/she can provide an update..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.