Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Yun0

macrumors 68000
Jun 12, 2013
Winnipeg, Canada
this is a very old bug since at least the last 4 years, it starts for me when i use dictation (or whatever it is when u speak and the phone types for u). reboot and it goes away, leaving it there doesnt affect my battery or data, just seems to be a visual thing.

Gates3522

macrumors newbie
Sep 29, 2017
Its related to the dictation text. I just verified that theory. Only way to stop it is to reboot

Dckennedy

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2017
Ever since I updated my iOS to 11 from 10, the spinning wheel has been on...the WHOLE TIME! I've done a hard reset, I've shut down apps, I've toggled Airplane Mode off then back on. Does anyone know why this is happening, and what I can do to stop it? It drains my battery, but more than anything, I'm very curious as to WHY it's happening. Thanks!
[doublepost=1506787999][/doublepost] The exact same thing is happening to me it’s driving me crazy can’t find an answer anywhere I have tried everything that you mentioned above as well

Reactions: MickG

AddisonIII

macrumors regular
May 8, 2013
this is a very old bug since at least the last 4 years, it starts for me when i use dictation (or whatever it is when u speak and the phone types for u). reboot and it goes away, leaving it there doesnt affect my battery or data, just seems to be a visual thing.
I agree that this is an old issue....for me this Same thing started back on iOS 8 and continued into iOS 9. On iOS 10 I never recall having this happen. Then comes iOS 11 and it is back like a bad penny. Re booting and refreshing network adapter made mine better, but never completely stopped it. It is funny the little things in life that burns our butt....lol. Mine included.

mvan231

macrumors newbie
Apr 29, 2017
Rochester, MI
This bug is really getting on my nerves, wish someone (or apple for that matter) would fix it.

I totally agree. I don't think anything bad is actually happening. But the point is that it's annoying.

Either way, I reset my network settings and the problem is gone... for now...

https://forums.imore.com/ios/338891...chain-enabled-restore-network-settings-2.html

if you take a look at this post, it shows that you can restore your wifi network passwords after a successful network setting reset by using the icloud keychain :)

eclipse01

macrumors 68030
May 16, 2011
Eau Claire, WI
I totally agree. I don't think anything bad is actually happening. But the point is that it's annoying.

Either way, I reset my network settings and the problem is gone... for now...

https://forums.imore.com/ios/338891...chain-enabled-restore-network-settings-2.html

if you take a look at this post, it shows that you can restore your wifi network passwords after a successful network setting reset by using the icloud keychain :)

Thanks but I just said "the heck with my passwords" and tried it out anyway...spinning came back the next day :-/

guitarsound

macrumors newbie
Oct 3, 2017
I have Sprint and have had the spinning wheel ever since the iOS 11 update too. It's killing my battery.

i am also with sprint and have the same problem, rebooting stops it temporarily for a time, i noticed it starting during a text, but then it stopped on it's own, it's very exasperating and i wish apple would get on it, i was thinking about getting the X to replace my 6, but this has me thinking twice about that

eclipse01

macrumors 68030
May 16, 2011
Eau Claire, WI
definetly narrowed this down to being a voice to text issue, can replicate it 9 out of 10 times, then I can activate siri and it will shut it off.

stupid bug..

shooter45acp

macrumors regular
Oct 5, 2017
RI
same thing has been happening to me with the new iPhone 8 and 8Plus did not happen with my 7 at all. reboot or reset network settings fixes it until I use Siri to text and does not happen every time.

tech_irb75

macrumors newbie
Oct 9, 2017
i have a 7+. The issue was resolved by creating a new backup, restoring to factory settings, and finally restoring from backup.

shooter45acp

macrumors regular
Oct 5, 2017
RI
When I got my 8 Plus I setup as new and not a backup because my 8 was doing that with my backup so apple suggested setting up as new but nothing same thing..

tech_irb75

macrumors newbie
Oct 9, 2017
this did not fix my issue as it reappeared today. apple is telling me to connect to itunes, perform the factory reset, set up as new for a few hours, test the issue, then restore my content. They are testing to confirm nothing is corrupt in my backups.

batting1000

macrumors 604
Sep 4, 2011
Florida
I have Verizon and i've found it does it whenever I use the Clips app. The spinner starts up and doesn't stop until I reboot (haven't tried the other tricks). Did it on my 7 Plus too.

shooter45acp

macrumors regular
Oct 5, 2017
RI
this did not fix my issue as it reappeared today. apple is telling me to connect to itunes, perform the factory reset, set up as new for a few hours, test the issue, then restore my content. They are testing to confirm nothing is corrupt in my backups.

I setup my new phone as new per apple and never restored my backup been like that for 1 week or so and still happens.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.