Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dan329

macrumors newbie
Jun 6, 2018
Ever since I updated my iOS to 11 from 10, the spinning wheel has been on...the WHOLE TIME! I've done a hard reset, I've shut down apps, I've toggled Airplane Mode off then back on. Does anyone know why this is happening, and what I can do to stop it? It drains my battery, but more than anything, I'm very curious as to WHY it's happening. Thanks!

Resetting network settings seems to fix the issue. At least temporarily.

One thing that I read on an Apple support forum that seemed to be the culprit was the dictation being "on" under Settings>General>Keyboard. Turning that off, eliminated the spinning wheel until I tried the resetting network....

Mondavi

macrumors newbie
Jul 11, 2018
I have had the same problem with my iphone 6s, burns my battery and I can't use dictation, or do much of anything while the wheel is spinning. I figured out that it seems to do it after I use dictation. If I hit the "Home" button it stops. Kind of a work around, it's obvious a bug with ios 11 but it works for me. Tried everything else, rebooting, turning off background app refresh, etc. with no joy.

Prof.

macrumors 603
Aug 17, 2007
Chicagoland
Heyyy...

So my iPhone 7 Plus randomly started doing this today. No amount of resets or powering on/off will fix the issue.

Thoughts?

Prof.

macrumors 603
Aug 17, 2007
Chicagoland
Turn off dictation. Reboot. Problem fixed.

Sigh.

I’m sure it’s already been mentioned but I don’t feel like reading the entire thread lol.

Reactions: IG88

Levina

macrumors regular
May 29, 2011
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
I have an iPhone SE and my wifi connection has been stable as a rock. Until yesterday. I'm getting the spinning wheel all the time now.

Is there a way to see the iOS update history on one's iPhone? Because I just had the update to 11.4.1 and I think it started after that.

IG88

macrumors 65816
Nov 4, 2016
Turn off dictation. Reboot. Problem fixed.

Sigh.

I’m sure it’s already been mentioned but I don’t feel like reading the entire thread lol.
Seems to have worked for me so far.

It must be constantly trying to upload something so the server can "learn." I got a warning when I disabled it about blah being deleted from Apple's servers and that it would take time to relearn if I enable it again.

stylinexpat

macrumors 68020
Mar 6, 2009
I got this problem now too
0232F467-FA5A-4268-9927-1811F20CEA6D.jpeg

k3rd4v

macrumors newbie
Sep 27, 2018
iphone 5s recently upgraded from final ios 10 to final ios 11 & had the same thing. based on 2 suggestions above, i opened/closed siri; then disabled dictation / rebooted / turned dictation back on. this seemed to work... for now!

freemannnn

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2013
upgrade my iphone 7 to ios 15 and spinning wheel is happening when using dictation.
i even restore as new without restoring any backup and this is still happening. crazy.
can someone confirm it is a new ios 15 issue? because i didnt have this on ios 14 and 12.
i dont want to downgrade to 14.8 because i cant now without FOCUS. also i cant with dictation turned off.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.