Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eclipse01

macrumors 68030
May 16, 2011
Eau Claire, WI
I now believe this is related to the app update process going wrong. The network reset clears the problem temporarily but I think it will occur again the next time an automatic update process happens. Can those of you having this problem look at this thread and report if turning off Automatic Updates resolves the problem?

https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...-related-to-problem-with-app-updates.2076795/

I have auto update off and it still does it, as I pointed out above, for ME it has to do with voice to text in which I can get it to stop by activating Siri ( I usually just say "Siri say something")

boraski

macrumors newbie
May 20, 2014
I have auto update off and it still does it, as I pointed out above, for ME it has to do with voice to text in which I can get it to stop by activating Siri ( I usually just say "Siri say something")

OK, I'll try this if it happens again!

derek_knitter

macrumors newbie
Jun 6, 2017
Massachusetts
Yep - I can confirm that just activating Siri stops the spinning - on 8 Plus - that is so weird but I can deal with that as a simple quick fix - thanks!

shooter45acp

macrumors regular
Oct 5, 2017
RI
Yep - I can confirm that just activating Siri stops the spinning - on 8 Plus - that is so weird but I can deal with that as a simple quick fix - thanks!

Just confirmed on mine also happens when I use Siri to text. but I just used Siri to say anything and the wheel stops spinning good to know but still wish they would fix it

Moclvland

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2017
Iphone 8 plus VZW. The reset network fix only worked for a day. Haven't had a chance to test the siri fix yet.

robbie.houston

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2017
I have an iphone 7 running iOS 11.0.3 and activating siri worked for me too, thanks! Hoping this issue is resolved soon.

Dave351

Contributor
Sep 28, 2009
Michigan

Worked for me when nothing else did. Thanks!
(iPhone 8 w/11.0.3)

Vampire14

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2013
Newcastle, Australia, NSW
I now believe this is related to the app update process going wrong. The network reset clears the problem temporarily but I think it will occur again the next time an automatic update process happens. Can those of you having this problem look at this thread and report if turning off Automatic Updates resolves the problem?

https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...-related-to-problem-with-app-updates.2076795/
Yes Have found that to be the issue. I had read somewhere else that the App Store has been troublesome with iOS 11 - all updates. I went to bed having tapped update (I don’t have automatic updates toggled on BTW) on my Facebook app and this am it was still showing as loading. When this happens the spinning wheel is constantly there. A re-boot fixes this issue and then the Facebook app is updated. It’s the same with all other larger updates.

ungaru

macrumors newbie
Oct 17, 2017
Ever since I updated my iOS to 11 from 10, the spinning wheel has been on...the WHOLE TIME! I've done a hard reset, I've shut down apps, I've toggled Airplane Mode off then back on. Does anyone know why this is happening, and what I can do to stop it? It drains my battery, but more than anything, I'm very curious as to WHY it's happening. Thanks!

Yes! I experienced the same annoying issue... and after resetting network settings, it went better for an hour... and started again, draining battery fast. I disabled the "background apps + automatic updates of Appstore"... nothing.
Then I realized that I had been doing IOS updates OTA and I remembered that in the past, it was explained that OTA updates are like an "onion" OS... which means, layer above layer after each update, slower and sometimes with more bugs than "clean IOS".
--> I did a backup of my iPhone... i downloaded IOS 11.0.3 IPSW and typed "restore"... to do a FULL RESTORE.
After restart... just restore from backup... and your IOS is clean. It works and it's been a few days that I can finally enjoy IOS11 properly. Hope this helps you. Remember that OTA updates are quite convenient, but for a major release update like from 10 to 11... a full restore is sometimes better and needed.

vukodlak75

macrumors newbie
Mar 14, 2009
I am so glad I found this thread. This started happening to me after I upgraded to iOS 11 on my iPhone 7
I can confirm now (after reading through previous posts) that is starts right after using Dictation and will not stop unless I reboot the iPhone OR ask Siri something.

Reactions: Vampire14

toma01

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2017
SOLVED - give it a try

So, I had the problem several times before, but for me a simple restart always solved the problem.

Today, after using dictation in iMsg it started to spin again. I think there is something with dictation that starts the wheel spin.

(maybe Apple is analysing your voice to develop their voice-recognition technology and if you prevent your iphone to send analytics then it stucks somewhere in the process.. only a theory, don’t go for this!)

How I solved the problem:

1. Open iMsg, go to a conversation

2. Push dictation button (don’t have to dictate anything)

3. Then, simply push the keyboard button provided in the gray space - which exits dictation mode.

4. Voila, spinning wheel stops!

Hope this helps,
toma01

iOS 11.1, i6s

Last edited:

eclipse01

macrumors 68030
May 16, 2011
Eau Claire, WI
SOLVED - give it a try

So, I had the problem several times before, but for me a simple restart always solved the problem.

Today, after using dictation in iMsg it started to spin again. I think there is something with dictation that starts the wheel spin.

(maybe Apple is analysing your voice to develop their voice-recognition technology and if you prevent your iphone to send analytics then it stucks somewhere in the process.. only a theory, don’t go for this!)

How I solved the problem:

1. Open iMsg, go to a conversation

2. Push dictation button (don’t have to dictate anything)

3. Then, simply push the keyboard button provided in the gray space - which exits dictation mode.

4. Voila, spinning wheel stops!

Hope this helps,
toma01

iOS 11.1, i6s

Seems easier than activating siri and asking her something...thx if this works

KarenBeth

macrumors newbie
Nov 8, 2017
Hmm. Sounds like this might be a carrier issue for some reason since these other posters have chimed in with very similar stories.
Mine is spinning too and I am an AT&T customer only started after the update!!! So many problems with iOS 11.1
[doublepost=1510203160][/doublepost]
Seems easier than activating siri and asking her something...thx if this works
That didn’t work for me mine still spinning like crazy never stops! Something about carrier settings need to be updated popped up once, could it be the problem?

Attachments

• 2DC5FB9B-8D30-435F-8A13-D69D6FC771BC.png
    2DC5FB9B-8D30-435F-8A13-D69D6FC771BC.png
    238.1 KB · Views: 399

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
I just got hit with this today after I had some trouble installing updates due to a flakey network connection. I think it's just a UI bug, and that the phone isn't actually doing anything. Internally there's probably a "spinner" toggle for the home screen, and it's just not being turned off sometimes.

cross45

macrumors newbie
Nov 16, 2017
Ever since I updated my iOS to 11 from 10, the spinning wheel has been on...the WHOLE TIME! I've done a hard reset, I've shut down apps, I've toggled Airplane Mode off then back on. Does anyone know why this is happening, and what I can do to stop it? It drains my battery, but more than anything, I'm very curious as to WHY it's happening. Thanks!
[doublepost=1510845316][/doublepost]Have 7 and AT&T and same problem. Backed up phone before system upgrade. Did hard reset and stopped it for a few hours. Am going to attempt to remove some apps and reload to see if will help.
[doublepost=1510845362][/doublepost]
Mine is spinning too and I am an AT&T customer only started after the update!!! So many problems with iOS 11.1
[doublepost=1510203160][/doublepost]
That didn’t work for me mine still spinning like crazy never stops! Something about carrier settings need to be updated popped up once, could it be the problem?
[doublepost=1510845393][/doublepost]I did carrier settings update and still spinning. AT&T as well

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.