Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cece.01

macrumors newbie
Dec 1, 2017
Ever since I updated my iOS to 11 from 10, the spinning wheel has been on...the WHOLE TIME! I've done a hard reset, I've shut down apps, I've toggled Airplane Mode off then back on. Does anyone know why this is happening, and what I can do to stop it? It drains my battery, but more than anything, I'm very curious as to WHY it's happening. Thanks!

*Removed message*

Last edited:

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Hi, Lebmob!

I had the same problem that started earlier today (December 2, 2017). I contacted Apple Support a couple of times before they were able to help me solve the problem (temporarily).

Here's what I did:

1. Go to Settings > Notifications
2. Turn off notifications for ALL APPS
3. Go back to Settings > General > Shut Down
4. Wait at least 30 seconds after your phone has powered off
5. Turn on your phone

After I did these steps, I notice that the black loading screen stopped happening. Turning on notifications may bring back the black loading screen issue. After talking to Tech Support, they said that this is only a temporary solution and they still aren't sure what's causing this; there will probably be a fix released in the next update.

I hope this helps!
This thread isn't about that kind of spinning wheel (the one from resprings), but a different one that is in the status bar and generally related to network activity.

The issue you are referring to is a different recent one, as being discussed in some other places:
Date Bug in iOS 11.1.2 Causing Crash Loop on iPhones as December 2 Hits

Galzer

macrumors newbie
Dec 2, 2017
iPhone 7, iOS 11.1

Spinning wheel madness. None of the above mentioned suggestions work. A reboot stops the wheel for a while before it comes back.

iOS 11 is such a turd.

Try this one that I saw in another forum. It worked for me:
Have you tried to reset your settings after the upgrade? Tap on Settings > General > Reset > Reset all settings
This solves the spinning wheel issue. Your data wont be deleted but settings such as wi-fi info, App settings and your preferences will be reset to default.

Before trying to reset all settings, try changing your system date. Change it from today’s date to Nov 30. Restart and see if that works for you. ( Tap on Settings > General > Date& Time > Disable Set Automatically and change the date manually to Nov 30)

Reactions: MP39

^Tripper^

macrumors member
Have you tried to reset your settings after the upgrade? Tap on Settings > General > Reset > Reset all settings
This solves the spinning wheel issue. Your data wont be deleted but settings such as wi-fi info, App settings and your preferences will be reset to default.

Before trying to reset all settings, try changing your system date. Change it from today’s date to Nov 30. Restart and see if that works for you. ( Tap on Settings > General > Date& Time > Disable Set Automatically and change the date manually to Nov 30)
Thanks for the suggestions but the latest update seems to have solved the issue for me anyways. Will monitor and see if it happens again.

xporterr769

macrumors newbie
Dec 5, 2017
I activated Siri and it went away. Not in any way saying that’ll fix it for everyone, just pointing out that this bug makes no sense.

I have a iPhone 6s, iOs 11.1.2 on Verizon and had the same issue. Asked Siri why the wheel keeps spinning in the upper corner of my screen, she threw out some websites and the spinning wheel went away. For now. Kinda silly. But easier than the resets/restarts. Thanks Aftermath 747.

Reactions: Aftermath747

Dizbuster

macrumors member
Jun 1, 2013
I wish I could say the latest update resolved the issue for me but it hasn’t. If I restart my phone it seems to take care of it for a little while but it always comes back; really irritating.

dictoresno

macrumors 601
Apr 30, 2012
NJ
Trying to figure that out for months! This worked for me! Thank you...

Activating Siri for me worked too. Randomly asked her for the weather and the spinning wheel stopped. I used Siri to dictate an iMessage before and it started spinning after that. Makes sense. Hmmmmmmm.

Jason B

macrumors 6502
May 21, 2010
B931CF6E-3AF7-4AF5-9347-FA319A0632F5.jpeg
Same issue. iPhone 6, did it on 11.2.5 and now on 11.2.6. Ideas on why? I’m even signed out of Apple and iTunes and have everything else off. It noticed it came in while I was texting but might just be coincidence??

boraski

macrumors newbie
May 20, 2014
I continued to have problems with later iOS updates. Ultimately I ended up wiping my phone and not restoring from backup. It was painful to do that, but it completely fixed the issue. I've been trouble free for months since doing that.

Jason B

macrumors 6502
May 21, 2010
I continued to have problems with later iOS updates. Ultimately I ended up wiping my phone and not restoring from backup. It was painful to do that, but it completely fixed the issue. I've been trouble free for months since doing that.

Can you give some more detail on this?? I've always thought I would be able to do that and get all my stuff back.

How will I get all my text messages (attachments in texts) and all my photos and videos, etc. to all go back in the same structure and order it was originally in???

boraski

macrumors newbie
May 20, 2014
Yeah you do lose text messages and attachments when you do that. You might be able to back them up and selectively restore them with a tool like iMazing but I didn't try.

Jason B

macrumors 6502
May 21, 2010
Ok, so what's the fix to get rid of the spinning wheel??

I notice as soon as I open "messages" the wheel goes away, but as soon as I click to go back to home screen it starts again.

eclipse01

macrumors 68030
May 16, 2011
Eau Claire, WI
Ok, so what's the fix to get rid of the spinning wheel??

I notice as soon as I open "messages" the wheel goes away, but as soon as I click to go back to home screen it starts again.

activate siri will temporary get rid of it.

IOS 11.3 and it still exists :-/

Jason B

macrumors 6502
May 21, 2010
activate siri will temporary get rid of it.

IOS 11.3 and it still exists :-/

Unreal!!! I have a question. I have an iphone 6s, and am on 11.2.6 and am a hard user for work. I may get 200 texts a day easy. Does this 11.3 on a 6s speed anything up for basics of mail, texting/pics, etc?

MP39

macrumors member
Aug 6, 2016

This date change worked for me on iOS 11.3 on my iPad Pro 2017. Changed the date back to Nov 30th and then went to Mail. Got a few error messages for certificates for email accounts due to date change. Selected Cancel, went back to change the date/time to automatic. Went back to Mail. It threw the same message again which I clicked cancel and refreshed the mail accounts, then it reconnected and spinning gear disappeared for good. Thank you!

Vlad.E.

Suspended
Oct 4, 2017
It stopped spinning on its own after 4 days. It’s been a week and the issue hasn’t came back.
This is after I updated 2017 iPad 9.7 from 11.2.6 to 11.3.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.