Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Loves2spoon

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2010
California
The speed at which Pfizer’s Covid vaccine was produced, the absence of animal studies, randomized control trials, and other usual gold standard tests and procedures for a new drug are all, at the very least, concerning. In addition, all Covid vaccine makers have been granted legal immunity for any injuries or deaths they may cause. If these vaccines are as safe as advertised, why do their makers need blanket immunity?

Reactions: Regulus67

Loves2spoon

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2010
California
Don’t go to https://vaers.hhs.gov/ and click on VAERS DATA, and download the file and look at all the adverse reactions being reported all over the United States. Death, vomiting, seizures, anaphylactic shock etc... don’t read into it or do your own due diligence...

Gregg2

macrumors 604
May 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
It will probably be revealed any day now that this whole pandemic is a conspiracy by rogue elements in a foreign country to dominate and conquer the United States by killing off a majority of our population.

Reactions: Loves2spoon

eltoslightfoot

macrumors 68020
Feb 25, 2011
The speed at which Pfizer’s Covid vaccine was produced, the absence of animal studies, randomized control trials, and other usual gold standard tests and procedures for a new drug are all, at the very least, concerning. In addition, all Covid vaccine makers have been granted legal immunity for any injuries or deaths they may cause. If these vaccines are as safe as advertised, why do their makers need blanket immunity?
Because of you? ;)

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
This is the first I've heard about anyone working on developing a booster shot to combat the new strains.....Interesting! That could be rather challenging, though, since new strains keep popping up and it would be hard to keep pace with them.

Definitely, although I am fully vaccinated (both injections, now past the required time frames for full immunity status) I am still maintaining the protocol developed during the pandemic, with the masking, the social distancing, etc., and only going to places where I really need to go.

Nacho Varga

Suspended
Mar 21, 2021
This is the first I've heard about anyone working on developing a booster shot to combat the new strains.....Interesting! That could be rather challenging, though, since new strains keep popping up and it would be hard to keep pace with them.

Definitely, although I am fully vaccinated (both injections) I am still maintaining the protocol developed during the pandemic, with the masking, the social distancing, etc., and only going to places where I really need to go.
Yes, well stated. From what I have read, Pfizer is doing it also:

But as you so correctly state, it's almost a "moving target" regarding the various new strains that keep appearing. And as I stated (and like you), we are going to continue our quarantine regimen. Fortunately spring is here, and with the improving weather, we can get outside more (but of course still being careful).

user_xyz

macrumors 6502
Nov 30, 2018
Technically the vaccine doesn't prevent you from being infected. It only prevents the infection from causing you significant harm.

The official line is that we can't assume a vaccinated person can't pass it along to someone else, primarily because there are no studies to show that yet. I heard a doctor on the radio say the other day, though, that no previous vaccine allowed people to pass the targeted infection, so he is confident that will be the case here too.

PoppyCock!! :rolleyes:

user_xyz

macrumors 6502
Nov 30, 2018
Yes, I see that now there are no more scheduled appointments available after today.

Does that mean the county ran out ?

I am worried about my second dose coming up in 2 weeks.

I wouldn't be too worried.
Recent research says:
* 1st shot of Pfizer is like 60% to 85% effective at 21 days. They believe this immunity lasts for 45-60 days or more.

* 1St Moderna is like 80% effective after 21 days.

Just get you 2nd as soon as reasonable-Don't stress. Lots more vaccines are flooding the US market now!!

Reactions: eltoslightfoot

eltoslightfoot

macrumors 68020
Feb 25, 2011
Yes, well stated. From what I have read, Pfizer is doing it also:

But as you so correctly state, it's almost a "moving target" regarding the various new strains that keep appearing. And as I stated (and like you), we are going to continue our quarantine regimen. Fortunately spring is here, and with the improving weather, we can get outside more (but of course still being careful).
Good news! Eventually the governments of the world will realize that it does stop the spread:

Israeli study

And here is an article showing why it is difficult to measure, but probably true:

Nature article

Now if you are truly just worried about the variants I get that. And some of us (my kids) can't get vaccinated yet. Still, I wonder if people are afraid to go back to a lifestyle that was normal pre-pandemic. (Not judging in the least...)

Reactions: decafjava

poorcody

macrumors 65816
Jul 23, 2013
PoppyCock!! :rolleyes:

From https://www.healthline.com/health-n...covid-19-after-getting-a-vaccine-what-to-know:
"... vaccine doesn’t prevent coronavirus infection. It helps protect against serious illnesses."

From https://www.aamc.org/news-insights/6-myths-about-covid-19-vaccines-debunked:
"...the T cell response [induced by the vaccine] may not prevent infection, but it can impact disease severity.”

From https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-021-00450-z:
"It’s possible that vaccines won’t stop or significantly lessen the chances of infection. But jabs might make infected people less able to pass the virus on, or make them less infectious, and so reduce transmission."

From https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/vaccines/vaccines-faq:
"In general, most vaccines do not completely prevent infection but do prevent the infection from spreading within the body and from causing disease."

Reactions: Sir-Eat-a-Ton

dannyyankou

macrumors G5
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY
This is not what you want to see

daee3df792d336519c8d70b322a4bf8e.png

• Angry
Reactions: Phuz01

Phuz01

macrumors 6502
Oct 25, 2006
New York, NY
This is not what you want to see

I'm SHOCKED that New York State is moving ahead with indoor exercise classes and 200-person private indoor events. We just need to allow the vaccines a little longer to gain traction in our communities (particularly in NYC), but it seems as though giving in to our impatience is more important than mitigating the risk of the variants and reducing exposure for those who haven't been fortunate enough to get the jab.

Edited to remove political references.

Reactions: dannyyankou

dannyyankou

macrumors G5
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY
I'm SHOCKED that New York State is moving ahead with indoor exercise classes and 200-person private indoor events. We just need to allow the vaccines a little longer to gain traction in our communities (particularly in NYC), but it seems as though giving in to our impatience is more important than mitigating the risk of the variants and reducing exposure for those who haven't been fortunate enough to get the jab.

Edited to remove political references.
He said yesterday that cases and positivity rates were continuing to decline, which just isn’t true. I know this thread isn’t supposed to be political, but that’s not a political statement it’s just a fact.

Look at hospitalizations, some areas are better than others but the trend is that they’re increasing again. Mid Hudson is especially getting worrisome-

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal
I wouldn't be too worried.
Recent research says:
* 1st shot of Pfizer is like 60% to 85% effective at 21 days. They believe this immunity lasts for 45-60 days or more.

* 1St Moderna is like 80% effective after 21 days.

Just get you 2nd as soon as reasonable-Don't stress. Lots more vaccines are flooding the US market now!!
if you're making statements like these it will help to provide links to your source

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Some interesting discussion for our local community, is that when our mask mandate ends and if it’s not renewed as it has been continually, we’re [Our local adjacent counties] are talking about possibly implementing a masking policy from the months of -September through March- temporarily [Indoor public venues], being we were able to keep the spread of other illnesses significantly at bay, where even the common cold was basically nonexistent in my area during this entire time with masking. It’s not for sure, but it’s been heavily discussed and set to vote this summer. I actually suspect it will pass, because it does not rely on the Community public vote, it relies between our health board and human services officials. Totally in favor of this during the fall/winter months.

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Sage, Lightning, and Mountains
if you're making statements like these it will help to provide links to your source
This may help ...

"

Key Takeaways​

• The Moderna and Pfizer-BioNTech vaccines could offer immunity against COVID-19 for up to two to three years. However, they will most likely have to be administered annually.
  • The Johnson & Johnson, Moderna, and Pfizer-BioNTech vaccines will likely protect against current variants of COVID-19.
  • Immunity wanes as antibody levels drop in response to a lack of use.
  • Moderna and Pfizer-BioNTech have launched preliminary studies of booster shots.
"

The CDC is pretty much useless at this stage...
"
We don’t know how long protection lasts for those who are vaccinated. What we do know is that COVID-19 has caused very serious illness and death for a lot of people. If you get COVID-19, you also risk giving it to loved ones who may get very sick. Getting a COVID-19 vaccine is a safer choice.

Experts are working to learn more about both natural immunity and vaccine-induced immunity. CDC will keep the public informed as new evidence becomes available.
"

Seeing the technology between the types of vaccines and method of testing, I would much rather get the J&J version than the Moderna or Pfizer version. That however is MPO.

Reactions: user_xyz

Phuz01

macrumors 6502
Oct 25, 2006
New York, NY
The CDC is pretty much useless at this stage...
This is an entirely unfair take. The CDCs operate based on science and data. They are not supposed to engage in speculative discourse that may inform a political or personal agenda. And the truth of the matter is that, from a public health perspective, COVID-19 is a very new virus. To make authoritative statements on vaccine efficacy requires longitudinal data (3-5 years at minimum) with samples that are large enough to account for all the possible comorbidities that could introduce variance in the data and control for them.

If you're looking to them to make you feel better, then yes, you may find them "useless." But if you're looking to them to do their job, to combat this pandemic, and to help us understand what strategies were most effective so they can be applied the next time we face a global health challenge, then the CDCs are doing exactly what we pay them to do.

Reactions: 44267547

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
This is an entirely unfair take. The CDCs operate based on science and data. They are not supposed to engage in speculative discourse that may inform a political or personal agenda. And the truth of the matter is that, from a public health perspective, COVID-19 is a very new virus. To make authoritative statements on vaccine efficacy requires longitudinal data (3-5 years at minimum) with samples that are large enough to account for all the possible comorbidities that could introduce variance in the data and control for them.

If you're looking to them to make you feel better, then yes, you may find them "useless." But if you're looking to them to do their job, to combat this pandemic, and to help us understand what strategies were most effective so they can be applied the next time we face a global health challenge, then the CDCs are doing exactly what we pay them to do.

I think you are reading into my post - or my take of it.
With all the information out there from the testing, the FDA, and other sources (including international), you would expect them to have something a bit more concrete than what has been published. Instead of getting actionable information ...

I can look up all kinds of test data from the pharma's, FDA, and other countries. I fail to see why the CDC cannot be a it more definitive in the data instead of the wishy washy info that is being published. It reads more like a Fauci message.

Phuz01

macrumors 6502
Oct 25, 2006
New York, NY
I think you are reading into my post - or my take of it.
With all the information out there from the testing, the FDA, and other sources (including international), you would expect them to have something a bit more concrete than what has been published. Instead of getting actionable information ...

I can look up all kinds of test data from the pharma's, FDA, and other countries. I fail to see why the CDC cannot be a it more definitive in the data instead of the wishy washy info that is being published. It reads more like a Fauci message.
You seem to be mistaking the CDCs, which are about using data and research to set public health policy and prepare for national emergencies, for the National Institutes of Health, which are about using data and research to formulate strategic responses to immediate medical crises. You may find what you're looking for here.

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
You seem to be mistaking the CDCs, which are about using data and research to set public health policy and prepare for national emergencies, for the National Institutes of Health, which are about using data and research to formulate strategic responses to immediate medical crises. You may find what you're looking for here.

Not at all.
I have a link to faq's on the CDC website - here. In a former post that is where the quote came from. Maybe I am expecting too much from the CDC?

I can get clearer answers doing the same from Mayo, Harvard, Hopkins, UCLA, WebMD, etc...

nebo1ss

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
I have gradually formed the view that it is time for a global response to the Pandemic. It is not going to be beaten with the diverse responses and lack of resources being applied in some countries. Take Brazil as an example it is in a dire situation with the health system overrun and limited access to vaccines. This needs an effort equivalent to world war II. It may be pointless if countries like the USA and UK vaccine all their citizens who then travel overseas and bring back new variants which are resistant to the vaccines. Not sure how this should be organised but the WHO seem to have lost the plot so perhaps the G7 or the UN might be a vehicle to organise such an effort. The first thing that needs to be done is to substantially increase vaccine production and availability. This might involve some controversial moves such as taking over vaccine production from the private sector and making the technology freely available to all manufacturers.

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
I have gradually formed the view that it is time for a global response to the Pandemic. It is not going to be beaten with the diverse responses and lack of resources being applied in some countries. Take Brazil as an example it is in a dire situation with the health system overrun and limited access to vaccines. This needs an effort equivalent to world war II. It may be pointless if countries like the USA and UK vaccine all their citizens who then travel overseas and bring back new variants which are resistant to the vaccines. Not sure how this should be organised but the WHO seem to have lost the plot so perhaps the G7 or the UN might be a vehicle to organise such an effort. The first thing that needs to be done is to substantially increase vaccine production and availability. This might involve some controversial moves such as taking over vaccine production from the private sector and making the technology freely available to all manufacturers.

Many folks forget that even if vaccinated, you can still get COVID. It will manifest as much milder if you do but you are not immune.
Your suggestion has merit however I suspect we need to be further down the path of vaccination access and supply with sources from more than the current three. I am discounting Russia and China.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
As of April 21, our state officially allows everyone and anyone to receive all three optional variants for the vaccination 16 & up. Huge mile stone achieved and well ahead of schedule. (Schools are Officially closed here until next year, but at this point, there’s only just over six weeks remaining, and probably a better idea to keep them closed until then.)

And our mask mandate is renewed until June 15, which I still think is a safe bet until we can push the vaccination as much as possible until after the 21st.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.