Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Maybe Sweden was right about COVID-19 and building immunity to it?
I'm of the opinion that the disease and mutated to a point where its largely a flu-like experience and the fatality has decreased dramatically, where as the largely unvetted vaccine has no track record of what long term effects that could be result from usage. There's no doubt that the vaccine was rushed out the door, and while I understand why (covid-19 was deadly) the risk is so low of severe symptoms, its not worth it imo.

I've mentioned before that there may be some sort of connection to heart issues, and that just means I'm better off avoiding the booster. I had gotten the original vaccine and the side of effects were horrible. Whereas this past year I actually contracted covid 19 and I was sick for a couple of days with mild-ish symptoms. So in my book the vaccine is doing more harm then the disease.

Killbynumbers

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2019
I still can’t believe that I never caught this infection. Never say never though. 😄
Same. I have only gotten the first two shots and that was two years ago in August. I also worked every day from March 2020 to June 2021 because the money was so good. I was around people every single one of those days.

ericgtr12

macrumors 68000
Mar 19, 2015
I haven't had the booster since last September as we waited for the new one, was scheduled to get it today but came down with my first case of COVID a few days ago. Seems like I lost all immunity I may have had as it's been brutal.

ericgtr12

macrumors 68000
Mar 19, 2015
I don't think so, its seems to have mutated into a rather harmless and minor issue. The cure is worth the disease this point
Speak for yourself, I've been having fevers of 102 to 103 for several days straight, body aches, chills, the whole 9 yards. I've never been this sick in my life.

bruinsrme

macrumors 604
Oct 26, 2008
Speak for yourself, I've been having fevers of 102 to 103 for several days straight, body aches, chills, the whole 9 yards. I've never been this sick in my life.
Yeah, this is a big no thank you, people can all gather with there torches and signs. I will skip the snake oil.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Speak for yourself, I've been having fevers of 102 to 103 for several days straig
That sux, but that was my experience with the booster. Covid is running through my town, with many folks coming down, and its very minor. So I'm not speaking for myself but rather what seems to be happening around me.

Perhaps you have a weakened immune system or are more susceptible to this virus, but I think for the majority of people, I'm of the opinion that the vaccine/booster is not needed

Hope you feel better

ericgtr12

macrumors 68000
Mar 19, 2015
That sux, but that was my experience with the booster. Covid is running through my town, with many folks coming down, and its very minor. So I'm not speaking for myself but rather what seems to be happening around me.

Perhaps you have a weakened immune system or are more susceptible to this virus, but I think for the majority of people, I'm of the opinion that the vaccine/booster is not needed

Hope you feel better
I've had 5 shots/boosters, just none in the last year as it wasn't available. While I've had short-term reactions to them, none of it compared to this. Scientifically speaking, the vaccine cannot give you COVID but sorry to hear you had such a bad reaction.

There have been over 19,000 hospitalizations in the United States in the last two weeks alone so I can't imagine I'm the only one suffering. I regret not getting the new booster two or three weeks ago but it wasn't available at that time.

• Haha
Reactions: DaPhox

ericgtr12

macrumors 68000
Mar 19, 2015
Wow, and you say that as some sort of flex. All of those shots and yet they have not helped you

The part you conveniently left out of your quote
just none in the last year as it wasn't available

It's a known fact that the vaccine loses its efficacy after 6 months.

Happy to backup my statements with actual credible sources. Not a flex, just following the science.

Kung

macrumors 6502
Feb 3, 2006
Got my flu shot the other day; slept a bit more than usual, but other than that, all was well.

Not getting COVID shot because COVID just tore through our workshop, and I was one of the few who did *not* get it. Could feel my body fighting it off, but never actually got it; so I'm 100% sure I've got a ton of antibodies right meow.

Regulus67

macrumors 6502
Aug 9, 2023
Värmland, Sweden
Maybe Sweden was right about COVID-19 and building immunity to it?
I live in Sweden. And can tell you that a lot of people have taken the vaccines, even if it has been voluntary.
So far, I got 3 letters inviting me to come and get the shots. But I do not take vaccines, period.
I know I got a double vaccine in 8th grade (1981), and that's it.

According to the official reporting (Läkemedelsverket).
Doses given in Sweden

Comirnaty (Pfizer/BioNtech): 20 464 346

Nuvaxovid: 14 463

Spikevax (Moderna): 4 502 890

Vaxzevria (Astra Zeneca): 1 338 214

I have only met a few individuals who have not been vaccinated, in Sweden and Norway.
But I lost my job in January 2021 outside Oslo, Norway. Because I was not vaccinated.
Oslo looked like a ghost town, when I was working there in April 2020.

Sweden as you mentioned, never had lockdowns. And we never had any particular problems. Life went on more or less like normal. But you should be aware that swedes have particular social norms. At least that is my impression, and I have heard others saying that too, who has migrated to Sweden. They like to keep their distance.
You do not sit next to another person on public transport, if there is space. Even if it's your friend.
The few I saw that wore a mask in public, were always young women. I saw old retired people walking without a mask. So it was weird seeing the few young women with masks.

I never got covid. Even when I worked together with a man who got covid, despite being vaccinated.
Most people I know that got the vaccine, has had covid at least one time by now.
My brother who is 8 years younger than me took the vaccine (in Norway), and he has developed heart problems since.

I do not know if Sweden has had excessive deaths since the vaccines were introduced. I tried to find the information some months ago. As I know several countries have high numbers of excessive deaths of all causes.

• Love

icanhazmac

Contributor
Apr 11, 2018
No more jabs for me and I'm actually upset I got the first two at all.

Vitamin D3
Zinc
Quercetin

Was turned on to this combo from multiple sources including 2 of my doctors, 1 of my mother's doctors and a couple of JRE guests.

For the longest time I would get 2-3 colds a year that would last 1-3 weeks and if I even looked at an airplane I was sick for weeks. Since beginning this regimen, in early 2021 after my second bout with the Vid, I have had a cold or three but on average they have lasted only a couple of days and I would say the symptoms were easily 25% of what I was used to in the past. During these I have tested for Covid and been negative every time. Others in my circle have experienced similar results.

Personal and anecdotal experience only but I couldn't be happier as I have 2 years of far better illness experience under my belt. My profession has me attending multiple conventions and expos throughout the year with attendance ranging from hundreds to thousands as well as "road life" and meeting with multiple customers a day so anything that helps is great.

Last edited:

laptech

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2013
Earth
The part you conveniently left out of your quote

It's a known fact that the vaccine loses its efficacy after 6 months.

Happy to backup my statements with actual credible sources. Not a flex, just following the science.
But isn't that the point? The vaccine is there to help the body build it's own antibodies against the virus but it needs time to do so. Therefore as the months go by, as the body is trying to build it's own defenses against the virus with the help of the vaccine, the vaccine's potency dies down. Hopefully by the time the vaccine has diminished in the body, the body has managed to build it's own defense against the virus.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

avz

Suspended
Oct 7, 2018
Stalingrad, Russia
But you should be aware that swedes have particular social norms. At least that is my impression, and I have heard others saying that too, who has migrated to Sweden. They like to keep their distance.
You do not sit next to another person on public transport, if there is space. Even if it's your friend.
"Hell is other people."? I guess there is a reason why Sweden/Norway are the biggest exporters of solid quality black metal.

Reactions: decafjava

ericgtr12

macrumors 68000
Mar 19, 2015
But isn't that the point? The vaccine is there to help the body build it's own antibodies against the virus but it needs time to do so. Therefore as the months go by, as the body is trying to build it's own defenses against the virus with the help of the vaccine, the vaccine's potency dies down. Hopefully by the time the vaccine has diminished in the body, the body has managed to build it's own defense against the virus.
The same can be said for the flu shot. I think they had hoped the COVID vaccine would last longer but apparently that's not the case, in the meantime it's the best defense we have, we just need to take it more often than once a year.

• Haha
Reactions: DaPhox and Chuckeee

dannyyankou

macrumors G5
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY
My father was taken to hospital in early September with COVID-19, was put on the lung ward, which is filled up with COVID-19 patients. Sadly, after an extensive battle, he couldn't fight it anymore and passed away last week.

It is real, it is out there. Please remain vigilant and stay safe.
I'm so sorry for your loss.

It definitely still is out there, I tested positive yesterday. Feels like the flu, which makes me wonder how much worse it would be if I wasn't up to date on the boosters.

Gregg2

macrumors 604
May 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
A friend has it. She said she was going to start wearing a mask again if the positive test percentage in our area hit 15… Then she said if it gets to 20… It did, she didn't. Now she is sick, and I worry because of her heart condition.

I had it once, after traveling. The numbers were down at the time, and I wore a mask, except while eating in the airport terminal. On the plane, I lifted my mask to take a bite or a drink. But it got me anyway.

• Haha

ericgtr12

macrumors 68000
Mar 19, 2015
I'm so sorry for your loss.

It definitely still is out there, I tested positive yesterday. Feels like the flu, which makes me wonder how much worse it would be if I wasn't up to date on the boosters.
Hope you have a speedy recovery, glad that you had a booster. It was a year since my last booster so I got hit hard when I contracted it, I'm at my 3 month post-COVID mark now though and am getting my booster next week, then I'll at least have some protection through the winter.

dannyyankou

macrumors G5
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY
Hope you have a speedy recovery, glad that you had a booster. It was a year since my last booster so I got hit hard when I contracted it, I'm at my 3 month post-COVID mark now though and am getting my booster next week, then I'll at least have some protection through the winter.
Thankfully I felt like crap with a fever for only 2 days. I feel 90% better today. Just a little congestion leftover, nothing too bad.

Reactions: ericgtr12

jedimasterkyle

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2014
Idaho
January AND February 2020, right before everything shut down...

I got two of the WORST colds I had ever had in my entire life. Started off as a sinus infection. Migrated to my lungs and became what felt like pneumonia/bronchitis. Couldn't eat anything as it would come right back up. Fever of 103+ for days. Pink eye so bad that my eyes were glued shut. All of my joints, from head to toe, had locked up and I felt like I was over a hundred years old.

All of that happened TWICE.

Looking back on it now, I'm convinced that I had COVID twice, back to back and I've never felt closer to death.

The ONLY thing that saved me was that I was forcing the phlegm out of my lungs and coughing it up. But in doing so, I actually bruised the cartilage in my ribs lol.

Point of this is that all of my symptoms that happened TWICE in the span of less than a month hit me like damn train at full speed. Being asthmatic and having various other respiratory issues when I was younger, hearing about covid and how dangerous it was, was like hearing about a death sentence for me.

As soon as I got better, I went back to work and two days later, we were sent home remotely. Thankfully, the Pfizer shots have done wonders for me and if I have to get the boosters for the rest of time like the flu shot, so be it.

I never, ever, EVER want to be that sick again.

Reactions: dannyyankou

dannyyankou

macrumors G5
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY
January AND February 2020, right before everything shut down...

I got two of the WORST colds I had ever had in my entire life. Started off as a sinus infection. Migrated to my lungs and became what felt like pneumonia/bronchitis. Couldn't eat anything as it would come right back up. Fever of 103+ for days. Pink eye so bad that my eyes were glued shut. All of my joints, from head to toe, had locked up and I felt like I was over a hundred years old.

All of that happened TWICE.

Looking back on it now, I'm convinced that I had COVID twice, back to back and I've never felt closer to death.

The ONLY thing that saved me was that I was forcing the phlegm out of my lungs and coughing it up. But in doing so, I actually bruised the cartilage in my ribs lol.

Point of this is that all of my symptoms that happened TWICE in the span of less than a month hit me like damn train at full speed. Being asthmatic and having various other respiratory issues when I was younger, hearing about covid and how dangerous it was, was like hearing about a death sentence for me.

As soon as I got better, I went back to work and two days later, we were sent home remotely. Thankfully, the Pfizer shots have done wonders for me and if I have to get the boosters for the rest of time like the flu shot, so be it.

I never, ever, EVER want to be that sick again.
My mom was similarly sick in February and I came to the same conclusion. It was so bad she couldn’t leave her house. She doesn’t think so because she got an antibody test and it was negative, but a lot of time passed and those tests aren’t always accurate. We live just 4 miles from where the first confirmed case was detected in New York.

Ericdjensen

macrumors 6502
Nov 6, 2019
Springfield,VA
I’m a lucky luckerson. No shots, never had Covid, haven’t been sick with anything in years. Can’t remember the last time I was sick. I drink lots of water and keep my hands clean. Other than that I don’t take care of myself at all

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.