Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

G.McGilli

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2015
Let's put all the clues together...

0. Bought from Apple store new - has proof of purchase.
1. Has an iPhone with 12 years worth of photos - Is this an original iPhone 1*?
*Has said never put any photos on the internet to backup and should have 'had more backups' when asked about backing up the photos so it appears the photos have no been transferred year after year to new devices - even though when you connect an iPhone to a MBP it will open the photos app and ask you to backup the photos every time.
2. MacBook Pro 'lost' the backup - no better explanation.
2.5. Bought an iPhone 11 pro and will never wipe/restore his disabled phone (leads to the disabled phone being an older model)
3. Was asked if he entered passcode too many times - not answered.
4. Says he purchases 1 or 2 brand new iPhones every year since 'day 1' - I have to assume this means the iPhone 1 - this just confuses everything that's come before it. So, there are 10-20 iPhones here and just this one phone has all the photos on it from the last 12 years?
5. Confirms no iCloud backup.
6. Apple refuses to unlock. Says stores are closed in the area. Repeats it's 'disabled' without yet explaining how it's become disabled.
6.5. Says spent about $5k in the last month - and has read that once a phone is disabled, that's it - feels that because he has spent so much $ with Apple they should enable it, or allow it to be sent in for a fee and be enabled.
7. Confirms the passcode to unlock the phone is still known to him, but the phone is disabled.
8. Because he has been asking Apple to unlock the phone - we can assume the phone works and powers on ok. But for some reason a passcode is not permitted? Meaning he wants Apple to unlock the phone without it accepting a passcode.
9. Reaffirms he knows the passcode, but the phone is disabled, and it was disabled by his son.

We are waiting to hear how specifically the son disabled the phone so that a passcode cannot be entered - yet it can be enabled by Apple?

I just needed to type that out to try and figure this out chronologically.

Good luck OP!

marty1980

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2011
Reminds me a bit of when my first HDD crashed. Had years of photos I'd taken and scanned. A PCB replacement didn't bring it back to life and I lost so many precious memories. The lesson I learned: backup your backups. I avoided cloud services for a long time. I used DVDs to back up everything from my replacement HDD and now I have redundancy by copying to multiple HDDs. I also use the cloud.

I'm sorry this happened. As others have said, if you can prove to Apple it's your device and not second-hand, then they will help you. Otherwise be glad Apple is so strict. That feature is there to protect your privacy.

Last choice is to use an agency like the FBI has used who will charge you $$$$ to hack into your phone and get your data.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
No. What did he do?
I can only imagine he was playing with it and put a few incorrect passcodes in. It gets disabled only for a short period of time. This has happened to me only once (I was ill and had left my phone out). My kids had been playing with it and when I came back to it it was disabled for 5 mins. Once the time was up I put in my passcode and I was able to get back into my phone.

bhodinut

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2013
Can you login to your AppleID on Apple's website? Does it show your phone in the devices list? Is it possible that someone has disabled/locked your phone via FindMyiPhone?

jimmyjamer

macrumors member
Original poster
May 23, 2020
No. What did he do?
he disabled it
[automerge]1590349571[/automerge]
its on my device list on my new phone as well as iPads etc. however nothing has been done from find my iPhone. wish i could enable it from my devices. I really appreciate your imput folks! thank you for caring!
[automerge]1590349788[/automerge]
Wish i could turn on my iCloud pictures on that device from my new iPhone,ipads,iwatch ,MacBook pros.

Last edited:

jimmyjamer

macrumors member
Original poster
May 23, 2020
Reminds me a bit of when my first HDD crashed. Had years of photos I'd taken and scanned. A PCB replacement didn't bring it back to life and I lost so many precious memories. The lesson I learned: backup your backups. I avoided cloud services for a long time. I used DVDs to back up everything from my replacement HDD and now I have redundancy by copying to multiple HDDs. I also use the cloud.

I'm sorry this happened. As others have said, if you can prove to Apple it's your device and not second-hand, then they will help you. Otherwise be glad Apple is so strict. That feature is there to protect your privacy.

Last choice is to use an agency like the FBI has used who will charge you $$$$ to hack into your phone and get your data.
i am praying apple will help me at the store when it opens
[automerge]1590351070[/automerge]
Can you login to your AppleID on Apple's website? Does it show your phone in the devices list? Is it possible that someone has disabled/locked your phone via FindMyiPhone?
i tried to enable it from find my iphone not sure

jimmyjamer

macrumors member
Original poster
May 23, 2020
Seriously are you winding us up?? What do you mean he disabled it? Why is it so difficult to get a proper answer from you?
sorry i was away from my computer
[automerge]1590352329[/automerge]
the iPhone says disabled on it
[automerge]1590352365[/automerge]
it won't do anything
[automerge]1590352534[/automerge]
i am not winding anyone up ...this situation has been devastating.
[automerge]1590352895[/automerge]
Let's put all the clues together...

0. Bought from Apple store new - has proof of purchase.
1. Has an iPhone with 12 years worth of photos - Is this an original iPhone 1*?
*Has said never put any photos on the internet to backup and should have 'had more backups' when asked about backing up the photos so it appears the photos have no been transferred year after year to new devices - even though when you connect an iPhone to a MBP it will open the photos app and ask you to backup the photos every time.
2. MacBook Pro 'lost' the backup - no better explanation.
2.5. Bought an iPhone 11 pro and will never wipe/restore his disabled phone (leads to the disabled phone being an older model)
3. Was asked if he entered passcode too many times - not answered.
4. Says he purchases 1 or 2 brand new iPhones every year since 'day 1' - I have to assume this means the iPhone 1 - this just confuses everything that's come before it. So, there are 10-20 iPhones here and just this one phone has all the photos on it from the last 12 years?
5. Confirms no iCloud backup.
6. Apple refuses to unlock. Says stores are closed in the area. Repeats it's 'disabled' without yet explaining how it's become disabled.
6.5. Says spent about $5k in the last month - and has read that once a phone is disabled, that's it - feels that because he has spent so much $ with Apple they should enable it, or allow it to be sent in for a fee and be enabled.
7. Confirms the passcode to unlock the phone is still known to him, but the phone is disabled.
8. Because he has been asking Apple to unlock the phone - we can assume the phone works and powers on ok. But for some reason a passcode is not permitted? Meaning he wants Apple to unlock the phone without it accepting a passcode.
9. Reaffirms he knows the passcode, but the phone is disabled, and it was disabled by his son.

We are waiting to hear how specifically the son disabled the phone so that a passcode cannot be entered - yet it can be enabled by Apple?

I just needed to type that out to try and figure this out chronologically.

Good luck OP!
please forgive me I am working in and out of house ......Life is hectic. The phone will no allow me to put in passcode or I would not be wasting these good peoples time .
[automerge]1590353155[/automerge]
sorry i was away from my computer
[automerge]1590352329[/automerge]
the iPhone says disabled on it
[automerge]1590352365[/automerge]
it won't do anything
[automerge]1590352534[/automerge]
i am not winding anyone up ...this situation has been devastating.
[automerge]1590352895[/automerge]

please forgive me I am working in and out of house ......Life is hectic. The phone will no allow me to put in passcode or I would not be wasting these good peoples time .
i had back up on MacBook pro but it is gone

Last edited:

bhodinut

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2013
Post a photo of the display of the phone with the message. I'm confused as to what you mean by disabled.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
Post a photo of the display of the phone with the message. I'm confused as to what you mean by disabled.
I believe I now understand what is going on.

His son entered the wrong passcode too many times and the phone screen probably shows the disabled message. And in order to reset the passcode, he will have to connect the phone to iTines, which means either restoring the phone from backup, or restoring the phone as new, which he doesn’t want to do, because he chose to never use iCloud backup and says his computer backup is gone.

All of his heartache could have been avoided if he had done what he was supposed to do, by routinely backing up the phone, and then making sure he had a backup of his backup. He also should have made use of iCloud.

He can’t save all his photos and not restore the phone as new. He is screwed.

Apple can’t help him and neither can we.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
I don’t get it. Can entering the wrong passcode too many times permanently disable a phone? Doesn’t it just put it on a timer until the passcode can be re-entered?
If you enter the wrong code numerous times, the timer can end up being very long, and ends up needing to be connected to iTunes to reset passcode and restore phone.

Reactions: Donfor39

jimmyjamer

macrumors member
Original poster
May 23, 2020
I will never restore phone .... hopefully on day
I believe I now understand what is going on.

His son entered the wrong passcode too many times and the phone screen probably shows the disabled message. And in order to reset the passcode, he will have to connect the phone to iTines, which means either restoring the phone from backup, or restoring the phone as new, which he doesn’t want to do, because he chose to never use iCloud backup and says his computer backup is gone.

All of his heartache could have been avoided if he had done what he was supposed to do, by routinely backing up the phone, and then making sure he had a backup of his backup. He also should have made use of iCloud.

He can’t save all his photos and not restore the phone as new. He is screwed.

Apple can’t help him and neither can we.
i think you are right ,i am screwed, apple won't help me , they could. I have to take responsibility for not being better prepared. i will never restore my iPhone XS and delete all that information,and pictures.I will hold on to it and hope one day someone will be able to extract my data, or apple might change their policy. I am one of a billion customers ,they could care less about me and my problems. This last week has been traumatic , worried about all this . I took a walk today and decided maybe its time to put my iPhone down more often . I have wasted much time taking pictures and looking at my phone.Maybe this happened for a reason.... thank you people for your feedback and time. Apple has let me down however life goes on ........ peace jimmy

Reactions: Apple_Robert

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
If you enter the wrong code numerous times, the timer can end up being very long, and ends up needing to be connected to iTunes to reset passcode and restore phone.
Well yeah, but how long are we talking in this case? because it will become available to unlock again eventually. Although, I remember an article about a toddler who locked his dad's iPad for like 48 years… is it a situation like that?

Jtludwig

macrumors 6502
Mar 24, 2012
Well yeah, but how long are we talking in this case? because it will become available to unlock again eventually. Although, I remember an article about a toddler who locked his dad's iPad for like 48 years… is it a situation like that?

48 years?

lgjay

macrumors member
Nov 12, 2019
Unlocking a disabled (PIN locked, not iCloud) iPhone (without erasing the phone entirely) is something Apple will never ever do. I guess you will have to wait it out on the lock. Don’t forget to charge the phone periodically to slow the aging and the eventual death of the battery.

Last edited:

Donfor39

macrumors 68000
Jul 26, 2012
Lanarkshire Scotland
Does OP's Locked or Disabled Xs fault differ from when I found both IPad+IPhone 6 or 8 disabled one morning and Not accepting Passcode, when after Calling Apple , I then had to Visit O2 store -collect receipt's and ,make a second call to Apple-Both devices were unlocked by Apple.

jimmyjamer

macrumors member
Original poster
May 23, 2020
Does OP's Locked or Disabled Xs fault differ from when I found both IPad+IPhone 6 or 8 disabled one morning and Not accepting Passcode, when after Calling Apple , I then had to Visit O2 store -collect receipt's and ,make a second call to Apple-Both devices were unlocked by Apple.
i am praying someone will help . or one day i can send it to apple and the will give me my data.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.