Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tonybarnaby

macrumors 68020
Dec 3, 2017
Google photos could have prevented all of this. I know you stated you didn’t want your photos online, but I think the fear of someone using your photos is very small.

Reactions: Shanghaichica

jimmyjamer

macrumors member
Original poster
May 23, 2020
Wait the 7 or 8 days then unlock it?

Do you mean it has a timer on it? If not just wait for the Apple store to open. There's no way around this with something a normal user could do.
it says disabled connect to iTunes
[automerge]1590439279[/automerge]

Attachments

• IMG_0053.JPG
    IMG_0053.JPG
    404.7 KB · Views: 62

tonybarnaby

macrumors 68020
Dec 3, 2017
Is there any third party company that can open the phone and pull the pics off of the storage that way? Or would it still require a passcode?

TiggrToo

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2017
How to recover a disabled iPhone
If you see the 'Connect to iTunes' message - or in iOS 14 the 'Connect to a Mac/PC' image - things are bad: you are locked out of the iPhone or iPad and the only way to get back in is to wipe it. This means you will lose all the data on the phone as part of the necessary recovery process. You'll be able to restore the data from your last backup, if that's any consolation. You did back up, right?

Time to accept the inevitable. You've lost everything. Apple almost certainly won't/can't help you.

So, no backups of any sort from any of the multiple devices? Nothing on iCloud, nothing on Google?

They're gone then.

jimmyjamer

macrumors member
Original poster
May 23, 2020
If you see the 'Connect to iTunes' message - or in iOS 14 the 'Connect to a Mac/PC' image - things are bad: you are locked out of the iPhone or iPad and the only way to get back in is to wipe it. This means you will lose all the data on the phone as part of the necessary recovery process. You'll be able to restore the data from your last backup, if that's any consolation. You did back up, right?

Time to accept the inevitable. You've lost everything. Apple almost certainly won't/can't help you.

So, no backups of any sort from any of the multiple devices? Nothing on iCloud, nothing on Google?

They're gone then.
i will never give up hope ....all is still on phone. thank you for you positive attitude.
[automerge]1590441496[/automerge]

They're gone then.
Hell I might go camp out at Cupertino.

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
LOL!!!!!!!!
[automerge]1590443899[/automerge]

It would be awesome if apple could just turn on my iCloud pictures on that phone.

Apple built it so that they cannot get to the data, for security reasons. They are unlikely to change this and the support article that was quoted says that already.

Unless one day they change their privacy tech your data can be considered lost. They didn’t unlock it for the fbi and they won’t be able to unlock it for you.

tonybarnaby

macrumors 68020
Dec 3, 2017
LOL!!!!!!!!
[automerge]1590443899[/automerge]

It would be awesome if apple could just turn on my iCloud pictures on that phone.
True, but the reason a lot of us stick with iPhone is the security we feel like we get from them. You’re going to have to think outside the box and either use an unlock service or consider your data lost. It’s very unfortunate, but I would contact that Cellebrite company and inquire. How much are your pics worth to you is the question?

jimmyjamer

macrumors member
Original poster
May 23, 2020
True, but the reason a lot of us stick with iPhone is the security we feel like we get from them. You’re going to have to think outside the box and either use an unlock service or consider your data lost. It’s very unfortunate, but I would contact that Cellebrite company and inquire. How much are your pics worth to you is the question?
i understand the security aspect however Apple can do it . probably won't for me. maybe on day they might do it as a service.....they could keep my 1200.dollar phone if it would jeopardize their security. this is not rocket science .Apple is the best of all computer companies.

tonybarnaby

macrumors 68020
Dec 3, 2017
i understand the security aspect however Apple can do it . probably won't for me. maybe on day they might do it as a service.....they could keep my 1200.dollar phone if it would jeopardize their security. this is not rocket science .Apple is the best of all computer companies.
The chances of them unlocking your phone are as close to zero as you can get. Never say never, but you’re going to have to either use a third party or give up. After a certain number of years the battery in your phone will be completely dead and unable to hold a charge. Waiting for Apple to change their policy is just not a viable strategy, considering how locked down Apple is. It’s not about money, it’s about principle for them. I would utilize a third party if you’re adamant about getting your data back.

jimmyjamer

macrumors member
Original poster
May 23, 2020
thanks for the advice , will try third party. I can replace batteries on iPhone if needed. Until then my xs is an expensive paper weight in hope of a jubilant data recovery. my cup is half full......never give up hope.....thanks bro!
[automerge]1590446875[/automerge]
The chances of them unlocking your phone are as close to zero as you can get. Never say never, but you’re going to have to either use a third party or give up. After a certain number of years the battery in your phone will be completely dead and unable to hold a charge. Waiting for Apple to change their policy is just not a viable strategy, considering how locked down Apple is. It’s not about money, it’s about principle for them. I would utilize a third party if you’re adamant about getting your data back.
Do you work for Apple?

tonybarnaby

macrumors 68020
Dec 3, 2017
thanks for the advice , will try third party. I can replace batteries on iPhone if needed. Until then my xs is an expensive paper weight in hope of a jubilant data recovery. my cup is half full......never give up hope.....thanks bro!

Do you work for Apple?
No, but their business model is plain to see. If they’re not willing to help the fbi, they will not be willing to help someone retrieve their pictures. I have some hope this third party site could help you, I just hope the price isn’t too high.

TiggrToo

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2017

Do you work for Apple?

It's an absolute guarantee that Apple will not be able to help you here. They deliberately set this up to with this way and will not 'care' how much you've spent to unlock it.

So, you can pony up $6,000 (or potentially much more) to Cellibrite to pick up a UFED device and a license,

Or,

you can try your luck with the numerous used UFED devices floating around eBay. However good luck with finding one that is not only functional but also has all the requisite cables, license & firmware to break into your brick.

Alternatively accept the grim realization that you are dead in the water and move on with life.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
Take it as a lesson and learn from it. Back up your pictures! Doesn't anyone else have these pictures? Your wife?

jimmyjamer

macrumors member
Original poster
May 23, 2020
It's an absolute guarantee that Apple will not be able to help you here. They deliberately set this up to with this way and will not 'care' how much you've spent to unlock it.

So, you can pony up $6,000 (or potentially much more) to Cellibrite to pick up a UFED device and a license,

Or,

you can try your luck with the numerous used UFED devices floating around eBay. However good luck with finding one that is not only functional but also has all the requisite cables, license & firmware to break into your brick.

Alternatively accept the grim realization that you are dead in the water and move on with life.
Sorry Mr Positive i never give up.....Apple is hiring in case you are interested....
[automerge]1590450018[/automerge]
Take it as a lesson and learn from it. Back up your pictures! Doesn't anyone else have these pictures? Your wife?
she has a few.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.