Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TiggrToo

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2017
Sorry Mr Positive i never give up.....Apple is hiring in case you are interested....
[automerge]1590450018[/automerge]

she has a few.

I'm not Mr Positive, I'm Miss Realistic.

You'll punish yourself more clinging on to this than your will accepting the facts and moving on on life. There are people who've lost everything through fire or flooding or storms. This is just photos. You have to move on.

Keeping to this fantasy that one day a miracle will happen won't help. I've been where you are. My computer hard drive controller crapped out on me years and years ago and I lost a huge number of documents etc. as a result.

I eventually gave in to the facts and the most cathartic thing I did was to eventually open up the hard drive and play major scratcheroo with the platters. The moment I did that I felt a huge release because I then knew for an absolute certainty, that my hell was over.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
Many years ago when digital photography was still kind of a new thing and dealing with images in software afterward was also very new, I learned my lesson early-on about ensuring everything has been properly saved to the computer and then promptly backing up everything. Lesson learned, but thankfully in my case there was a good outcome. My issue arose when at one point I went to look for a particular image that I’d shot with my then-still fairly-new Nikon D70 camera, a scene I remembered vividly, and yet couldn’t find it anywhere on my drive even though I’d already downloaded images from the memory card. AGGGH!!!!! IMO it was an amazing image, a really outstanding image, I wanted to share it and where the heck had the darned thing gone??! It wasn’t in the folder it was supposed to be in.....

I panicked but learned about rescue programs and thankfully, since I had not cleared off that memory card was able to run one of those programs and save that particular image and a few others I hadn’t realized hadn’t made it to the computer. First thing I did after that was to immediately back up my photos files to an external drive before attempting to do anything else with that image or any of the others from the rescued group. My routine ever since then has been to promptly back up data that is important to me right after I’ve put it into the computer, whether it is a bunch of images shot with a camera or iPhone or if it is my tax documents I’ve just submitted to the IRS...... With the iPhones and iPads I regularly back them up with iCloud, too, so that nothing risks being lost. Just having the important stuff available in at least one other device or location provides peace of mind.....

jaybar

macrumors 68020
Dec 11, 2008
What concerns me is the unwillingness of the OP to consider iCloud backup. I hardly ever rely on iTunes backup via the computer. Unless you backup the computer, iTunes backup will not do any good. Rather then hoping Apple will change their policy, perhaps the OP can share what a good backup regimen would look like for him, going forward.

Batt4Christ

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2014
Arkansas
If you bought your phone new and have proof of purchase receipt, Apple will unlock it for you. If you bought it used, you are out of luck.

You should have been backing up to the cloud. No one here can help you with a locked phone.

MacBook Pro lost it? Might better check your back up settings.

Batt4Christ

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2014
Arkansas
What do you mean by disabling your own phone? Have you entered the passcode too often wrong?

Are you seriously trying to tell people you have 12 years (!!!!!!) of pictures not backed up? Sorry, I find that hard to believe.

How would 12 years of photos be ONLY stored on an iPhone that's how old?

tonybarnaby

macrumors 68020
Dec 3, 2017
That iPhone isn't old enough to have 12 years of photos. So how did you get them ON the phone?
My guess is that he has kept every picture he’s taken from his first iPhone on down. Every year he buys the new iPhone and transfers the photos to the new phone.

Batt4Christ

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2014
Arkansas
I will never restore phone .... hopefully on day

i think you are right ,i am screwed, apple won't help me , they could. I have to take responsibility for not being better prepared. i will never restore my iPhone XS and delete all that information,and pictures.I will hold on to it and hope one day someone will be able to extract my data, or apple might change their policy. I am one of a billion customers ,they could care less about me and my problems. This last week has been traumatic , worried about all this . I took a walk today and decided maybe its time to put my iPhone down more often . I have wasted much time taking pictures and looking at my phone.Maybe this happened for a reason.... thank you people for your feedback and time. Apple has let me down however life goes on ........ peace jimmy

How do you know the MacBook Pro "lost" Your backup?

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
What concerns me is the unwillingness of the OP to consider iCloud backup. I hardly ever rely on iTunes backup via the computer. Unless you backup the computer, iTunes backup will not do any good. Rather then hoping Apple will change their policy, perhaps the OP can share what a good backup regimen would look like for him, going forward.
I backup to iCloud, but I still have to disagree with the bolded part. Backing up to iTunes, even if the computer itself is not backed up, still means that two devices have to fail. It can happen, but it's vastly less likely than just the phone dying.

jimmyjamer

macrumors member
Original poster
May 23, 2020
My guess is that he has kept every picture he’s taken from his first iPhone on down. Every year he buys the new iPhone and transfers the photos to the new phone.
correct its 11 years actually my son will be 12 at the end of june.

Donfor39

macrumors 68000
Jul 26, 2012
Lanarkshire Scotland
How long is your phone disabled for?

I was a number of days, as both were disabled over weekend.
I had to allow o2 store time to find receipts, which couldn't be accessed immediately in store.
Though I no longer hold IPad Air or IPhone 6 It was 7-10 days.
Don't hold any Apple e-mails or Case ref anymore, rather than receipts, it was possibly 'Proof of Purchase' that O2 store took a few days to find.

Last edited:

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
How did you get so many old photo’s onto a phone like the XS if you had no backups previously?

It’s well worth subscribing to an iCloud backup for the sake of a couple of quid a month for future reference.

Reactions: Donfor39

jimmyjamer

macrumors member
Original poster
May 23, 2020
i always trusted and used my MacBook pros for my back ups, had just bought a new one in preparation for a new phone.Never thought i would be here.Cant believe Apple would leave me out in the cold.

Reactions: Donfor39

Donfor39

macrumors 68000
Jul 26, 2012
Lanarkshire Scotland
i always trusted and used my MacBook pros for my back ups, had just bought a new one in preparation for a new phone.Never thought i would be here.Cant believe Apple would leave me out in the cold.

I have been caught with failed login board -previous 13' mcbpro.
Backup solution is almost a necessity.

bhodinut

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2013
Cant believe Apple would leave me out in the cold.

You didn't properly backup your phone. You didn't ensure your photos were saved anywhere else (for 12 years). If your phone was stolen or lost you would be in the same place. Apple didn't fail you. They provide the tools so you don't lose your data and photos. You CHOSE to not use them and/or verify any backups that were made. Time to move on. Wipe that phone and sign up for a cloud backup plan.

Last edited:
Reactions: Clix Pix and ericwn

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016

Skip the drama. I explained that they cannot get to your data in post 67. It’s by design.

If you had decided to do anything else with your images, you’d import them into either a picture service in the cloud or locally into the photos app on your Mac. But you decided to leave it all on your phone, then you lost the backup of said phone. This was the last moment where you could have resolved the issue. You then let a minor mess up your last repository of your images by disabling the phone.

Maybe you’ll learn from this to protect your data better as that’s your property and solely your responsibility.

Reactions: Clix Pix

jimmyjamer

macrumors member
Original poster
May 23, 2020
No drama my friend . You summed it up Mr hindsight. Just hoping Apple might change policy in the future. I have inquired with cellebrite .
, waiting for a reply .Really appreciate you input , you sound very important. Have a blessed day.... peace ... jimmy

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
I sure as hell don’t expect Apple to start breaking into devices. If you check out the values they claim as important to the company privacy is one of them. They don’t unlock for the FBI, they won’t for you.

Best success with that third party.

G.McGilli

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2015
Never thought i would be here.Cant believe Apple would leave me out in the cold.

You remind me of a good story!

Years ago I bought a safe from a store. I put inside of it my passport, an extra credit card and $500 in cash. A year later I went to open it, and it would not open with my code. I found out my child had at some point been playing with it, punching in lots and lots of numbers for so long that it locked. If that happens the only way to open it is with the 'backup' key. Good thing I had that!

So I went to the drawer where I kept all my spare keys and it was gone!

Ther drawer had lost the key!

I could not believe my drawer had lost the key, and my child had done silly child things.

So I called the company that makes the safe. I explained all of this and told them that since it was not my fault and I was a loyal customer and - I know they can open it for me - I would like them to do that. Even with the receipt they said they could not send me a new key and there was no way to enable the code again. I told them I would even send the safe to them - and they could open it for me and give me my items back.

They refused. They do not unlock their secure devices in any way, that is their policy they told me.

So my child had done silly child things, the drawer had lost the key, and the company left me out in the cold.

Whose fault was it?

1. Me for buying a safe from that company
2. My child for punching in numbers on a keypad
3. The drawer for not looking after the backup key properly
4. The company for refusing to open the device for me
5. Mine for leaving the device unsupervised, losing track of the backup and expecting the manufacturer to bail me out

OP - I do wish you the best. I think it will be easier for you if you stop blaming Apple and just accept what has happened. I hope a solution does become available in the future.

jimmyjamer

macrumors member
Original poster
May 23, 2020
thanks .... we have established the FBI scenario on many occasions. I am just a customer trying to retrieve some data out of my own phone. Relax Eric................ no need to use bad language. This would not jeopardize this awesome company’s security.

TiggrToo

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2017
I sure as hell don’t expect Apple to start breaking into devices. If you check out the values they claim as important to the company privacy is one of them. They don’t unlock for the FBI, they won’t for you.

Best success with that third party.

@jimmyjamer still hasn't twigged that Cellibrite doesn't sell a forensic extraction service, they sell forensic extraction hardware. Pretty expensive hardware at that. Add that Cellebrite is not a consumer facing company.

In fact, the OP seems pretty naive period. From having no backups anywhere to denying the grim facts of their current predicament.

Their desire to cling to the hope of a miracle is rather sad...

jimmyjamer

macrumors member
Original poster
May 23, 2020
You remind me of a good story!

Years ago I bought a safe from a store. I put inside of it my passport, an extra credit card and $500 in cash. A year later I went to open it, and it would not open with my code. I found out my child had at some point been playing with it, punching in lots and lots of numbers for so long that it locked. If that happens the only way to open it is with the 'backup' key. Good thing I had that!

So I went to the drawer where I kept all my spare keys and it was gone!

Ther drawer had lost the key!

I could not believe my drawer had lost the key, and my child had done silly child things.

So I called the company that makes the safe. I explained all of this and told them that since it was not my fault and I was a loyal customer and - I know they can open it for me - I would like them to do that. Even with the receipt they said they could not send me a new key and there was no way to enable the code again. I told them I would even send the safe to them - and they could open it for me and give me my items back.

They refused. They do not unlock their secure devices in any way, that is their policy they told me.

So my child had done silly child things, the drawer had lost the key, and the company left me out in the cold.

Whose fault was it?

1. Me for buying a safe from that company
2. My child for punching in numbers on a keypad
3. The drawer for not looking after the backup key properly
4. The company for refusing to open the device for me
5. Mine for leaving the device unsupervised, losing track of the backup and expecting the manufacturer to bail me out
thanks dad!

Reactions: G.McGilli
Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.