Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pinkhousewpg

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2019
They still have some work to do. Watched Star Wars A New Hope and the opening graphics are in French.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
They still have some work to do. Watched Star Wars A New Hope and the opening graphics are in French.

haha.. that should be interesting..,

I do also notice Disney does not auto-play everything either Only tried it on "The Simpons" though, you must manually navigate to the prior episode,, then it will auto-play next one.

Doesn't happen all the time, but when it does, i have my remote in ready.

Their getting there.

MagnusVonMagnum

macrumors 603
Jun 18, 2007
Still no Atmos for The Mandalorian.... How long can it take them to point it to the right version of the show? The ROKU Ultra gets Atmos for it just fine and Apple gets Atmos for everything BUT The Mandalorian. It's ridiculous it wasn't fixed the first week alone five weeks now....

RootBeerMan

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2016
I'm liking the content (The Mandalorian and the Jeff Goldblum show are awesome) and the resolution is great! Really clear UHD. The app on my LG doesn't work as well as it should (too many episodes of buffering) but the XBox app is great and has gotten better with the recent updates. I'm liking it!

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018
I will say with as much as I've been enjoying Disney+ the UI on the PS4 is just awful. If you want to fast forward a large amount when you have it rapidly advancing the progress bar will disappear after a few seconds so you have no idea where it is in the progression. You have to just blindly hit "play" and hope it's near where you wanted. When it's showing the credits it will "zoom out" and show you a suggestion for the next show. Annoying when you're trying to see the end-credits scene because it's not obvious how to enlarge what you're currently watching again.

LordVic

Cancelled
Sep 7, 2011
Haven't read the whole thread. So far I am enjoying Disney+.

Did notice a few peculiarities though.

1. "Resume" works almost on a per device basis. Switching from TV to TV or Device seems to confuse it. If I'm watching

Example: If I watch Episode 1 on TV one. Than go to device two, and watch Episode 2. When I go back to Device 1, even when i close out and start the app again, it still think I'm just finishing Episode 1 and wants to play Episode 2, which I have watched already.

2. There's no "next episode" or "Previous Episode" buttons... so skipping an episode means backing out of the episode, and pulling up the episode list.

3. Sometimes when I launch on my TV or phone, it'll be missing episodes. Like Opening "The Clone Wars" only to see 4 or 5 episodes a season. Quiting than relaunching will usually remedy. Just odd behaviour.

So far really impressed by the catalogue. it's hit my desires pretty good.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
They even had a tie-up with Hulu where Hulu was selling a complete package as an addon. Looks promising as one can bundle and access all content under the same dashboard.
I noticed that Disney+ offered a co-sub with Hulu. I think Disney own them or has a majority stake in them. I know that Hulu is substantially less expensive than Hulu + Live TV. It makes me wonder what do you get for basic Hulu?

I‘ve seen offers on Amazon to subscribe to things like HBO but I can’t remember if those subscriptions were at discounted rates.

JayMysterio

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2010
Rock Ridge, California
I noticed that Disney+ offered a co-sub with Hulu. I think Disney own them or has a majority stake in them. I know that Hulu is substantially less expensive than Hulu + Live TV. It makes me wonder what do you get for basic Hulu?

I‘ve seen offers on Amazon to subscribe to things like HBO but I can’t remember if those subscriptions were at discounted rates.
I have both. I originally got Hulu when they had the .99 cents a month deal for year and liked & kept it. With Disney+ the combo offer included ESPN I think, which I didn't need, so I went with the original $4 Disney deal. So for both I basically pay $10 I believe. I really enjoy Hulu because of the amount of shows they have, which includes Anime, and starting to enjoy Brooklyn 99. Hulu is a like a cheaper alternative to Netflix, but with faster access to shows from FX and another Disney owned channel.

Reactions: Huntn

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I have both. I originally got Hulu when they had the .99 cents a month deal for year and liked & kept it. With Disney+ the combo offer included ESPN I think, which I didn't need, so I went with the original $4 Disney deal. So for both I basically pay $10 I believe. I really enjoy Hulu because of the amount of shows they have, which includes Anime, and starting to enjoy Brooklyn 99. Hulu is a like a cheaper alternative to Netflix, but with faster access to shows from FX and another Disney owned channel.
Netflix has gotten more expensive over the years. I think (price wise) I am at the $14 a month level and so far have resisted paying them $17 a month for 4K content. But we watch Netflix virtually every day. The most expensive app we use is SlingTV (approx $44/month for 2 combo packages) which I believe is equivalent to Hulu + Live TV.

Reactions: JayMysterio

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
There is no special about HBO and other subscriptions with HBO. It's only good if you want to club their services so that you can access them with just a single app or website.
I thought one year the HBO subscription on Amazon was a couple dollars cheaper, but I could be mistaken. Or it might have been an offer from HBO.

gsmornot

macrumors 68040
Sep 29, 2014

Disney does own Hulu. If you go for the package Disney+ offers you will get Hulu with a ton of ad's. Too many. Best is get Hulu ad free, then subscribe to Disney+. Much better combo.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Disney does own Hulu. If you go for the package Disney+ offers you will get Hulu with a ton of ad's. Too many. Best is get Hulu ad free, then subscribe to Disney+. Much better combo.
I hate ads, and I‘m somewhat spoiled these days. Your reference to Hulu ad free, I assume this is not Hulu + Live TV.

Reactions: yaxomoxay

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018
I hate ads, and I‘m somewhat spoiled these days. Your reference to Hulu ad free, I assume this is not Hulu + Live TV.

I've gotten to where I just can't stomach ads at all. I bought the black Friday deal where you get Hulu for 99 cents a month but I never watched it because the ads annoyed me so much.

Reactions: yaxomoxay and Huntn

yaxomoxay

macrumors 604
Mar 3, 2010
Texas

Same here. I reached the point in which I even pay for youtube red in order to not see a single ad anymore.

• Love

TallRed

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2018
The Left Coast
I've gotten to where I just can't stomach ads at all. I bought the black Friday deal where you get Hulu for 99 cents a month but I never watched it because the ads annoyed me so much.

I cancelled my Hulu subscription last night. I had had enough. The ads were aggravating but if I had to put it on pause for whatever reason, I would come back and Hulu would have forgotten where I was and even what I was watching. I then would have to find what I was watching and fast forward until I found the approximate spot where I was. A very clunky interface, to say the least. No amount of programming can put lipstick on that pig.

Raid

macrumors 68020
Feb 18, 2003
Toronto
I got Disney + for the kid over Christmas, I binge watched the Mandalorian and have enjoyed poking around the older movies (Bedknobs and Broomsticks, (the original) Escape to Witch Mountain, Black Hole) were all decent strolls down memory lane... however I haven't heard much noise about much else. I might check out Jeff Goldblum's show; but already I find myself searching for content I might actually watch.

My daughter loves the many Disney kid shows like "Jessie" and loves the on demand nature of it.

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
I got Disney + for the kid over Christmas, I binge watched the Mandalorian and have enjoyed poking around the older movies (Bedknobs and Broomsticks, (the original) Escape to Witch Mountain, Black Hole) were all decent strolls down memory lane... however I haven't heard much noise about much else. I might check out Jeff Goldblum's show; but already I find myself searching for content I might actually watch.

My daughter loves the many Disney kid shows like "Jessie" and loves the on demand nature of it.
The Jeff Goldblum show is actually pretty interesting but I'm in the same boat. Netflix offers a high content per price value but my kids love Disney so it's sticking around since it's cheap.

Reactions: Raid and yaxomoxay

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
Haven't read the whole thread. So far I am enjoying Disney+.

Did notice a few peculiarities though.

2. There's no "next episode" or "Previous Episode" buttons... so skipping an episode means backing out of the episode, and pulling up the episode list

I dunno if it can be turned off, but automatically plays next episode.. i.e "The Simpsons"

Unfortunately, perhaps Disney is doing updates (?),, as if sometimes doesn't work... Going back out to main page, and in to the episode again / fast forward to end of previous watched, does it automatically

I do know Disney's famous line "reinstall app" fixes issues

I'm not about to bloody reinstall app whenever i have issues..

Its annoying when it happens, but reinstalling the app ever time is even worse. When updates do happen, why cant they be ''pushed' ? Much eaiser.. I suppose code is in the app, but it can be server side for convenience too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.