Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Do You Like Tim Cook?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

DD88

Suspended
Jun 6, 2022
Makes me wonder how many people don't like him just because he isn't Steve Jobs. Apple the world will never have another Steve Jobs. I agree that Apple isn't innovating as quickly as before but Apple is doing pretty damn well and I think that is from Tim Cooks strong leadership. Tim is the person that Steve left in charge, and I am going to guess that not many people in this forum worked with Tim like Jobs did and Jobs knew what he was doing.
The world will have plenty of people like Steve Jobs, what Jobs did was cash in on what Bill Gates nearly perfected at Microsoft and Jobs tweaked it. People only associate with Jobs more because he wore a turtleneck and was more hip

antiprotest

macrumors 601
Apr 19, 2010
Makes me wonder how many people don't like him just because he isn't Steve Jobs. Apple the world will never have another Steve Jobs. I agree that Apple isn't innovating as quickly as before but Apple is doing pretty damn well and I think that is from Tim Cooks strong leadership. Tim is the person that Steve left in charge, and I am going to guess that not many people in this forum worked with Tim like Jobs did and Jobs knew what he was doing.
I don't like Steve Jobs more than Tim Cook. I like my money more than Tim Cook. And Tim Cook is trying too hard to take my money while I often feel like I am not getting my money's worth. Therefore, I don't like Tim Cook.

• Haha
Reactions: progx and imdog

BatAtPickingUsernames

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2020
Those of us who unfortunately wasted our time reading your post are the ones who should file a class action lawsuit against you.

Shame on you and shame on MacRumors for not only letting this rabid frenzy of blind hate for a man go on but actually promoting it on the homepage.

EdT

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2007
Omaha, NE
I don’t know him or put much thought into it really. I don’t like some of Apples products or their cost but as long as I get the device I want I don’t care. It could be Adolf Hitler running the company and I wouldn’t care as long as it’s a decent product. I’ve never really understood the worship of a brand or the people who go on about missing Steve Jobs. These are consumer products at the end of the day.
Well, I hope that I would care if someone like Adolf Hitler was running a company but Tim Cook isn’t anything near someone like that, unless he has a secret life that he has managed to keep private.

For me the phones work, and I tend to keep them until something on it fails or Apple quits updating/ supporting it. And on the updating side Apple supports their phones longer than other companies support their Android ones. If you buy a new phone every year or every 2 years then the higher cost of an Apple phone probably isn’t worth it. If you hold onto them for 4-5 years then an Apple phone is probably cheaper than an equivalent Samsung. I don’t know how Pixel compares.

The new M series of computers seem to be better than roughly equivalent Intel/AMD versions in laptops. About the same price but last much longer on battery and with better performance. But if you are waiting for a game machine you are going to be disappointed. Apple decided not to get into high performance gaming back in the Steve Jobs era and I doubt that they will ever change their minds. In desktops the Mac Mini is a good desktop but the 24 inch iMac is expensive compared to the other brands of desktops that you can buy, without being as far ahead of the competition as the mini and laptops are performance wise. They are better than a counterpart Intel, but not as far ahead and they are more expensive than a Max Mini. But a Mini you have to buy a monitor.

As for AR/VR or whatever Apple eventually releases, at the price point they are talking about I’m not the market they are aiming for. I haven’t bought anyone else’s goggles/glasses either. I’ve used them and so far they are a cooler idea than they are a practical device.

naasrd

macrumors 6502
Apr 30, 2008
Dublin, Ireland
He’s a phoney who, if it weren’t for adjectives, would be entirely mute. He hasn’t uttered one original sentence since taking over. Everting is “fantastic, incredible, amazing…”, it’s rarely any of those. There have been more mess ups in one month of his tenure than in the entirety of Jobs‘ time at Apple. Bug, after, bug after bug…. What Steve ever saw in him God only knows.

DD88

Suspended
Jun 6, 2022
327675DA-DF71-45D8-85E2-139143A14D84.jpeg

in all honesty he needs sacking from Apple for the woeful flag waving at F1 yesterday

• Haha
Reactions: Canyonero and progx

turbineseaplane

macrumors P6
Mar 19, 2008
He’s a phoney who, if it weren’t for adjectives, would be entirely mute. He hasn’t uttered one original sentence since taking over. Everting is “fantastic, incredible, amazing…”, it’s rarely any of those. There have been more mess ups in one month of his tenure than in the entirety of Jobs‘ time at Apple. Bug, after, bug after bug…. What Steve ever saw in him God only knows.

100% agree -- nothing about Tim comes across as authentic, particularly with how he overuses the enthusiast adjectives, to your point.

The Steve part is interesting -- One wonders how much of that became "Tim is good enough and he's already here and knows the drill" ... health failing and unknown timelines of "how long do I even have left" could have led to the decision as much as anything else.

Reactions: BarredOwl

neutrino17

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2022
Tim Cook is great at what he does. He manages a huge company, he keeps all the parts synchronized so that each year like clockwork Apple designs new versions of iPhones, iPads, MacBooks, etc. and produces hundreds of millions of them with few problems. This is freaking amazing.

I think Jony Ive left on his own. His work at Apple was done. The glory days of Apple design were 20 years ago. Now the devices are mostly slabs of glass, not much of a canvas to work on. Since he left the products have improved. Better keyboards on the MB, better battery life on the iPhone.

Tim Cook doesn’t design products. He doesn’t dream them up. Other people do that then Tim works with his team to figure out how to scour the world for resources to build them at scale.

Customer satisfaction for the iPhone is in the high 90% range. Each year the stock holders vote on management. Each year Tim gets approved by close to 99%.

You are welcome to your opinion but realize you are a tiny minority.

Remember that even when Steve was running the show Apple went as long as six years without a major product introduction. Remember the shower curtain iMacs? Remember the tissue box power Macs? Not everything was wonderful back then.

falkon-engine

macrumors 65816
Apr 30, 2010
Cook might be a very good bean counter, and Apple has become very profitable, but Jobs was inspirational, passionate, captivating, and Apple tried bold new things.

With Cook we don't really get anything new, just minor iterations of the same design. iPad Pro 2022 looks very similar to iPad Pro 2018. iPhone design looks roughly the same. iPhone 14 Plus is essentially an iPhone 13 Pro Max (minus Pro Motion, but same chip). I don't believe that Jobs would've allowed Stage Manager to be shipped in its current form. It's not polished.

Reactions: imdog

EdT

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2007
Omaha, NE
The world will have plenty of people like Steve Jobs, what Jobs did was cash in on what Bill Gates nearly perfected at Microsoft and Jobs tweaked it. People only associate with Jobs more because he wore a turtleneck and was more hip
I bought my first Apple II around 1980 or 81. It wasn’t my first computer, I had a TRS-80 and a VIC before that. Steve Jobs and Bill Gates weren’t really competitors at first (in the 1980’s) because Apple made both the hardware and the OS while Gates made the operating systems for other computer companies like IBM. A phrase not heard much now is referring to an X86 computer as an IBM clone if it ran DOS or (later) Windows. Lots of people bought non IBM computers and it was the low cost and available 3rd party software that made them preferable to the Apple Macintosh. Computers weren’t referred to as Windows machines until Windows 3 or 3.1, and that’s also when IBM quit being associated with X86 computers and Microsoft took over, even though Microsoft STILL didn’t actually make a computer. Bill Gates and Microsoft became dominant as a software developer selling to a wide variety of computer manufacturers. Apple didn’t start becoming a thriving company until Steve Jobs part 2 took over a failing Apple in the late 1990’s.

progx

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2003
Pennsylvania
He's the head of a multi-billion (Trillion?) dollar company - he doesn't know me from adam. I do not like or dislike him, nor does he ever occupy my thoughts.

I've agreed and disagreed with his numerous decisions he's made, but here's the thing - he and his people are the experts, I'm not.

Bottom line, if you don't what Apple is offering, or feel the quality is not commensurate for the price being charged, buy something else. Life is to short to obsess over every perceived misstep or get angry over every policy or product decision Apple has made.

You summed up my feelings.

Reactions: maflynn

progx

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2003
Pennsylvania
100% agree -- nothing about Tim comes across as authentic, particularly with how he overuses the enthusiast adjectives, to your point.

The Steve part is interesting -- One wonders how much of that became "Tim is good enough and he's already here and knows the drill" ... health failing and unknown timelines of "how long do I even have left" could have led to the decision as much as anything else.

Tim Cook joined Apple in 1998 as COO. Steve handpicked him as his guy. Tim was about to leave in 2011, Steve’s health was in question beforehand and he stepped down. I’d rather have Cook than Forstall honestly, Forstall wanted to discontinue the Mac and focus solely on iPhones.

turbineseaplane

macrumors P6
Mar 19, 2008
Tim Cook joined Apple in 1998 as COO. Steve handpicked him as his guy.

When Tim joined in no way refutes my point
Health becoming a thing only increased the chances of Steve defaulting to options he already knew and trusted.

Another way to look at this is: Is this who Steve might have chosen if time/health were never an issue?
Impossible to know

It's also very possible (perhaps likely even) that Tim has changed over time here.

It's really hard to see Steve being onboard with a lot of the stuff Tim's Apple has done the last decade

• Haha
Reactions: imdog and progx

ApplesAreSweet&Sour

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2018
All things considered, I voted “yes”.

I mean if I consider all the products launched post Jobs as Cook’s work, then I’d say I’m mostly satisfied with what he’s doing for Apple.

Reactions: 5105973

progx

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2003
Pennsylvania
It's really hard to see Steve being onboard with a lot of the stuff Tim's Apple has done the last decade

And did you know Steve personally? Tim turned Apple’s supply into a logistical powerhouse. Clearly, Steve didn’t want another him, he wanted someone else and Tim fitted what he was looking for.

And it’s called money too. Shareholders want returns. Steve worked for them too.

applicious84

macrumors 6502a
Sep 1, 2020
I don’t know him or put much thought into it really. I don’t like some of Apples products or their cost but as long as I get the device I want I don’t care. It could be Adolf Hitler running the company and I wouldn’t care as long as it’s a decent product. I’ve never really understood the worship of a brand or the people who go on about missing Steve Jobs. These are consumer products at the end of the day.
I'd definitely boycott if Hitler was running the company--no matter how good the product. That's all.

TopToffee

macrumors 65816
Jul 9, 2008
This fits perfectly… if we ignore everything we know about Jobs’ personality/character

turbineseaplane

macrumors P6
Mar 19, 2008
This fits perfectly… if we ignore everything we know about Jobs’ personality/character

As someone who's lost multiple close family members, very early, to cancer and ALS, I can promise you that things get strange and foggy down the stretch -- and people start doing things and acting in ways you'd not expect.

DD88

Suspended
Jun 6, 2022
As someone who's lost multiple close family members, very early, to cancer and ALS, I can promise you that things get strange and foggy down the stretch -- and people start doing things and acting in ways you'd not expect.
I myself have lost family members to cancer too , awful how much it affects and changes people.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
That means some users, not every user in the world
Stop be so dramatic because of a device...go in the store buy a newer apple watch or buy something from android world

The series 3 has only just been discontinued so shouldn’t be unsupported yet with features. That user might have a case to claim if what they are saying is correct.

genovelle

macrumors 68020
May 8, 2008
I’m no Tim Cook fan. Though let me be clear that it is not due to a lack of vision or knowledge of the industries that Apple enters.

He is clearly an intelligent and articulate person no doubt and someone with great integrity. Jobs described Cook as an “enigma” and ultimately a workaholic who just got on with the job - and did unbelievably well at it, helping to transform Apple in the process.

However I strongly believe that his skills were best suited under the leadership of another individual, where he was not challenged creatively.

This is the ultimate problem. Jobs was not a technical wizard, he was not an inventor nor a creative genius: he was a perfectionist and a visionary. His drive, often controversial in the way he treated others, was like nothing else, and he put the user experience before growth. In other words, he wanted to focus on fewer things really well.

As a leader, Cook does not have these qualities. This does not make him a bad person nor unqualified to be a CEO, but his change in direction to Jobs has inevitably altered the very foundation of Apple - for the worse, in my opinion.

Cook has pushed not only his own social agendas to the forefront of Apple, but a wide variety moves that suggest Apple is more afraid of offending people than being realistic. It’s a sad reflection of the times we live in, and frankly I’m sick to death of the paint-by-numbers script from their marketing department… How proud they are of their ‘achievements’ and their ability to count numbers.

Worse still, Cook cannot execute design choices himself. Also, Apple has gone back on its word of only entering markets that it can significantly contribute to or take large market shares and… well, done the opposite.

But let’s not convince ourselves that Apple was significantly ‘better’ under Steve Jobs. To counter your points with a few off the top of my head:

- MobileMe?
- iPhone 4 ‘antennagate’
- Overheating Macs right, left and center
- G5 water cooling failures
- White polycarbonate MacBook cracking
- ‘Hockey puck’ mouse

So, no I don’t like Tim Cook as CEO, but I’m sure he is an interesting individual.
Don’t forget the Mac Cube!

EuroChilli

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2021
Belgium
Last time I checked, it was Jobs himself who appointed Cook. So, we should be mad at Jobs instead (I'm not mad, with either). Cook is only doing what Jobs asked him to. Or am I missing something?

But, life is too short to fret over these kinds of things, no one is saying you have to buy Apple stuff, there are plenty other tech companies out there.

Last edited:

fanboy-ish

macrumors 6502
Apr 1, 2022
I, for sure, admire his energy and his drive, if the articles like "A day in the life of Tim Cook" are true, he does have lots of both, and, of course, his intelligence, you can't be an idiot and run a company like Apple - unless your name is Steve Ballmer and you end up running Microsoft.

However, I think we, collectively as people, should stop idolizing corporations and their founders or managers, it's not like they're discovering cures and giving them away for free, they're business people performing tasks, that's all there is to them, and corporations are not religions or sports teams, they're businesses trying to sell us stuff, the higher the asking price, the stricter the scrutiny.

I like his stance on privacy - yes, he's selling privacy, the same as every other company selling privacy oriented services - and I think it's important because, in my opinion, for the average user - who, in my experience, tends to be pretty dumb around technology - Apple is the best shot they have at preserving some privacy without having to look for more complicated solutions like custom Android ROMs or other softwares and paid services.

Regarding Mr. Cook, if you're and Apple shareholder there's a lot to like, but I'm a customer, I own several of their products and pay for their services and I'd rate Tim Cook's job a solid 8.5/10.

I have absolutely zero complaints for almost everything I get from Apple, my only two complaints regard:​
  • the MacBook Air, both the one I own (2020 i5) and the M2, I think they purposefully nerfed those machines' performances with subpar cooling systems, I think they could easily do away with the 13 inch Pro, have the Air with a proper cooling system and then the 14 and 16 inches Pro machines with more power and better specs;​
  • their pricing scheme, the amount of money Apple charges for RAM and disk upgrades is frankly preposterous and the price increases we had in Europe are hardly justifiable by inflation and currency value, the prices were not cheap before and, in my opinion, they're exaggerated, then there are tactics like not including charges or earphones, or, pretty bad, giving the M2 Air, a 1500 Euros machine, a slow SSD, or releasing a "new" phone with last year's internals, those are cheap tricks, even if they babble about the environment I think many people can see through that, I know that he's bound by law to act in the sole interests of the corporation, but there's a limit to how low you can go to make a quick buck.
    I don't think I'm paying the "Apple tax", I realize I'm paying for superior customer service, better software - at least in my experience - and products that last longer and still outperform newer products from other brands; but, having said that, I still think those price hikes are very steep and Apple products are, pretty quickly, becoming unaffordable for many of their customers.​

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.