Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

crislee

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 26, 2014
Wash means just run it through tap water for few seconds and then wipe it clean with towel.

I do, lol. why? because i don't use case and my hand sweats a lot, so i wash it every couple days to ensure the sweats won't eat up the bezel (I know the XS has a SS bezel, but prior to X, iPhone bezel is made of aluminum and my phone got some rust build up, but then iPhone 6 is not a waterproof phone, so I only wipe it with wet paper towel very gently)

Anyone else?

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
I always do this on my Galaxy A5 since it’s IP68 rated. I use it outdoors as a field utility and it gets dirty. Whenever I get home, I simply wash it with water and soap and dry it with a cloth. The only thing that’s annoying is drying that USB-C port.

I also wash my Apple Wath series 2 once in a while to clean out any sweat/skin dirt on it.

I never do this on an iPhone before since I have not had an IP68/67 rated iPhone. My current one is the 6S :)

Coffee_Time

Cancelled
Nov 22, 2017
Yes. But not direct water jet on the ports. Also blew ports with air every time. In the past year I just spray it with alcohol all over, then wipe it. First I clean my case, then my back of the phone, then put it in the case, then clean the screen.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
Lol. iPhone is 68 rated. No way water can damage the phone.

Water resistance fades over time due to gaskets hardening.
[doublepost=1554483823][/doublepost]
I always do this on my Galaxy A5 since it’s IP68 rated. I use it outdoors as a field utility and it gets dirty. Whenever I get home, I simply wash it with water and soap and dry it with a cloth. The only thing that’s annoying is drying that USB-C port.

Soap will lower the surface tension of water. Areas like the mesh grill on the speakers and earpiece are designed prevent water entry based on water surface tension.

That's why Apple says it's fine to shower with Apple Watch, but not expose it to soap or soapy water.

BR4DOKYBrazil

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2018
Londrina - PR / Brazil
I put it under the tap in running water, wiping my hand all over it. I do this from my Xperia Z, Z2, Z5, iPhone 7 Plus, iPhone X and iPhone Xs. I've never had a problem. I do this once a week.

Reactions: gotong

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
If occasionally cleaning it with a baby wipe counts then yes. However I don’t wash it with water.

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
I dampen a paper towel with rubbing alcohol. Wipe it down. Then dry it. No risk of damage, disinfects and does an excellent job. Just make sure it is damp not dripping wet.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Wash means just run it through tap water for few seconds and then wipe it clean with towel.

I do, lol. why? because i don't use case and my hand sweats a lot, so i wash it every couple days to ensure the sweats won't eat up the bezel (I know the XS has a SS bezel, but prior to X, iPhone bezel is made of aluminum and my phone got some rust build up, but then iPhone 6 is not a waterproof phone, so I only wipe it with wet paper towel very gently)

Anyone else?
https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...ap-water-almost-every-day-is-it-safe.2077676/

mollyc

macrumors 604
Aug 18, 2016
We also have a Phonesoap that we use occasionally. I admit this week to using some Clorox wipes on it quickly because I had the flu and carried my phone with me. But I have a case and a screen protector on it and made sure not to get the wipe on the openings, just the part my hands touched a lot. And then I immediately dried it off.

Ta0jin

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2011
Maryland

Anyone else?
I had my XS in my jeans pocket and accidentally put those pants in the washer after work and it went through a full wash cycle on hot water and it survived without damage and still works great! I'm still perplexed how that happened. So I don't know if that was a freak incident but I wouldn't recommend getting it wet often.

Reactions: gotong and AppleWes

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
A cleaning fluid for coated lenses and microfiber. Most cases, can just use microfiber to clean.

Worst case, water on a finger tip to wipe with. For example, at a restaurant, dip a finger into my water glass and moisten the smudge, wipe dry with the microfiber in my wallet.

bodonnell202

macrumors 68030
Jan 5, 2016
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I usually just wipe it with a microfibre cloth, but occasionally spray it with a cleaning solution meant for electronics. I would never put my iPhone under running water, but I do occasionally rinse my Apple Watch under the tap.

AppleWes

macrumors 6502a
Oct 9, 2013
I had my XS in my jeans pocket and accidentally put those pants in the washer after work and it went through a full wash cycle on hot water and it survived without damage and still works great! I'm still perplexed how that happened. So I don't know if that was a freak incident but I wouldn't recommend getting it wet often.
This is a great example of why iPhones are water resistant... Not designed to be underwater everyday like the topic is about. Life happens and glad your phone is still working great!

To each his own though- for those who really want to risk $1,000+ loss, enjoy. Apple won't cover anything.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.