Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Motionblurrr

macrumors 65816
Jul 1, 2008
The best way I found was from someone on these forums who looked up the contents of those iPhone cleaners:

1) small spray bottle
2) distilled water
3) a drop or two of scentless soap in the bottle filled with distilled water
4) cheap microfiber towel

Cleans just like a lens cleaner but without any alcohol or ammonia. It will not strip the oleophobic coating. It also disinfects a bit due to the soap and it lifts oils with ease. Safe to use since distilled water won't ruin electronics in the first place.

Solomani

macrumors 601
Sep 25, 2012
Slapfish, North Carolina
No wash. That's krazay.

#1. A sterilizing UV-C "wand" disinfection. Yes the wands are similar to the UV light sterilizers used in large hospitals. I've got them from Amazon at around $80 to $120 (depends on brand quality, sale prices, etc).

#2. After the wand kills all the germs/microbes, I do a gentle wet "dab" using either a very soft cotton cloth or paper towel, then dry. It wipes away the dead microbes, as well as sweat, oils/grease from food, fingerprints, etc etc.

About once or twice a month. Effective. Safe. Sane. Bam!

Last edited:

NJHitmen

macrumors 6502
Oct 8, 2010
Safe to use since distilled water won't ruin electronics in the first place.

This is true in principle. Distilled water won’t damage electronics by itself (same goes for deionized water). But you still have to be really careful. Don’t get any kind of contaminants in the water, which could introduce impurities that might allow the water to conduct electricity (and then all bets are off). And corrosion is still a threat.

Personally - I take a “better safe than sorry” approach. I’m not going to intentionally expose my phone to water of any kind, ever. But if it happens, I’m not going to lose any sleep over it. The routine in the post I quoted should be perfectly safe as long as it’s undertaken with care.

Reactions: I7guy

Djangoh

macrumors newbie
Nov 9, 2016
NC
Wash means just run it through tap water for few seconds and then wipe it clean with towel.

I do, lol. why? because i don't use case and my hand sweats a lot, so i wash it every couple days to ensure the sweats won't eat up the bezel (I know the XS has a SS bezel, but prior to X, iPhone bezel is made of aluminum and my phone got some rust build up, but then iPhone 6 is not a waterproof phone, so I only wipe it with wet paper towel very gently)

Anyone else?

Not to be a smartarse, but aluminum doesn't rust.

MacDaddyPanda

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2018
Murica
I never put running water on my devices. That's crazy to me. I mist a microfiber cloth with Stoners glass cleaner and wipe it down. And I use a clear case. So I'm wiping down the screen as direct contact with the phone and wiping the case. Dirt and dust does collect on the edges of the case so occasionally I'll take it out and wipe it down that way. But how dirty are you letting the phone get to feel the need for running water on it?

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
No wash. That's krazay.

#1. A sterilizing UV-C "wand" disinfection. Yes the wands are similar to the UV light sterilizers used in large hospitals. I've got them from Amazon at around $80 to $120 (depends on brand quality, sale prices, etc).

#2. After the wand kills all the germs/microbes, I do a gentle wet "dab" using either a very soft cotton cloth or paper towel, then dry. It wipes away the dead microbes, as well as sweat, fingerprints, etc etc.

About once or twice a month. Effective. Safe. Sane. Bam!
Phone soap works well also and it can charge while it’s “cleaning“.

Reactions: MisterSavage

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I never put running water on my devices. That's crazy to me. I mist a microfiber cloth with Stoners glass cleaner and wipe it down. And I use a clear case. So I'm wiping down the screen as direct contact with the phone and wiping the case. Dirt and dust does collect on the edges of the case so occasionally I'll take it out and wipe it down that way. But how dirty are you letting the phone get to feel the need for running water on it?

Stoners Glass cleaner is one of the best kept secrets. I use it to clean the windows for my vehicles, and that product is amazing, and never streaks and they don’t use any soaps or dyes in Stoners. You pay a little bit more for this product, but it delivers. [They are a small-based family owned company I believe out of Pennsylvania.]

sumsingwong

macrumors 6502a
Dec 15, 2012
Study shows cellphones have more germs and bacteria than public restroom toilets. Clorox wipes does just fine for me. Kills germs and bacteria, comes out squeaky cleans and fresh smelling. Just as bad as automobile steering wheels.

I also wipe Rain X on the screen to keep it oleophobic.

bushman4

macrumors 601
Mar 22, 2011
wiping your iPhone down with some distilled water on a microfiber cloth is more than enough

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
For all you germophobes

5D89314D-091E-4DC8-A4B1-6E0B5E91CF8F.jpeg

The discounted PhoneSoap 3 can charge and sanitize your germ-ridden devices
https://www.androidcentral.com/thrifter-deal-phonesoap-3-uv-sanitizer-phone-charger

Solomani

macrumors 601
Sep 25, 2012
Slapfish, North Carolina
My old Zadro UV-C wand accomplishes the same thing…. but my wand is not limited to disinfecting my iPhone. I can disinfect just about anything (except people, never expose it on people!). I can disinfect TV remotes too (which is a major carrier of microbes), as well as computer keyboards, car keys, toilet seats, toothbrushes, etc etc etc. It's a germaphobes wet dream LOL.

Of course, the UVC wands take some extra effort, since I believe that an effective iPhone disinfection is much longer than a few seconds, so I spend several "passes" at each side of the phone.

6_107043.jpg

My older Zadro wand is a rechargeable disinfecting wand. Many of the cheaper UVC wand models are only battery-operated ( I dislike those).

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Can you share some more details on this. (Batteries or battery life? Overall cost? Any drawbacks to a device like this?) And I know this last question is a bit technical, but do they make any claims as far what percentage of germs this can disinfect? I think something like this would be perfect for traveling.

Last edited:

Solomani

macrumors 601
Sep 25, 2012
Slapfish, North Carolina
Can you share some more details on this. (Batteries or battery life? Overall cost? Any drawbacks to a device like this?) And I know this last question is a bit technical, but do they make any claims as far what percentage of germs this can disinfect? I think something like this would be perfect for traveling.

Details are hard to come by because these wands are only as "effective" as the manner they are used. In past years, these UV-C wand companies got fined and sanctioned (also lawsuits) because of false advertising, for example claiming that a single "10-second swipe" would kill the majority of microbes on a given surface. That was never the case. I knew this because I have worked as a licensed health care worker in hospitals for many years and I know first hand that large hospitals have used ultraviolet sterilization for decades. In past decades, UV sterilization was mostly used on non-disposable equipment… like expensive surgical instruments, etc. In recent years, our local hospitals are now using "UV sterilization robots" that are programmed to bombard a "dirty" roon (e.g. infected with MRSA, CDIF or other drug-resistant microbes) with ultraviolet light, and a session would last for maybe 5-10 minutes (I'm guesstimating from what I have seen).

So back to these wands. A single 10-second pass will kill only a small percentage of microbes. But if you spend say a good minute swiping the surface of your iPhone, there is a very good chance you'd have nuked the vast majority of microbes. Will you get 100%? Probably not. But it's the same with those million-dollar sterilization robots that our hospitals use…. they were never expected to kill 100% of the germs, but very close to it, like say 99.4% or something like that.

And as for safety usage…. no ultraviolet-C device should ever be applied on human tissue, never point it directly on the eyes. It's probably as damaging as staring directly at the sun. It will fry your eyes. It can cause burns on the skin. And it will increase your risk for skin cancer faster than those tanning booths. This is common sense for anyone that knows anything about UVC exposure. Never ever have these wands lying around for children to grab.

Anyone that has ever used a UVC sterilization device (of any kind), including the robots I mentioned in our hospitals, you KNOW that it's the legit device when you smell the distinct smell of ozone in the air. You know that the device really did emit concentrated UVC. The ozone smell is a byproduct of UVC sessions. I smell it all the time after several passes on my iPhone, or my toothbrushes, etc. P.S. literature says that the amount of ozone produced is negligible per session.

Battery life? Like I said, the old Zadro model I own was from Amazon years ago, I paid a little less than $90 I recall. It's a rechargeable model, and it comes with an AC adapter/charger. Some of the newer cheap models are only battery operated (which I do not like). But those are probably ideal to travel with you on a trip to Cancun or Thailand if you want to disinfect certain parts of your timeshare resort room, etc.

I bought a brand new (identical) spare a year or so ago, since the original Zadro model is discontinued. And probably because States like California are making it harder to import/sell these…. because of safety concerns? You won't have a problem with regulations of these things in a place like China. But in regulation-heavy and lawsuit-loving USA, I'm surprised that personal UVC wands are not yet banned.

Below, picture of a UVC sterilization robot, a very similar bot is used in my hospital.

Xenex_OR-Pulsing-2-638x1024.jpg

Last edited:

udontno

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2011
VA, USA
I now want a phonesoap.

I am a librarian and I have spent this year SICK between allergies and snotty kids. In a 1:1 iPad school, I wish there was something out there that would let me do about 20 iPads at once... without killing the wallet.

G.McGilli

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2015
Anyone else?

When my daughter gets sick with a cold etc etc - then I get into a routine of washing my phone, keyboard, trackpad etc with hand sanitizing gel every day. I just drip some on the screen (2 or 3 drops is all it takes), then use a cloth to wash it all over.

Better than water IMO as it evaporates pretty fast.

tranceking26

macrumors 65816
Apr 16, 2013
No but I'm constantly blowing dust out of my morphie case speaker.

I have had a screen protector 99% of the time I've owned my 6s but still give the screen a wipe every once in a while.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
When my daughter gets sick with a cold etc etc - then I get into a routine of washing my phone, keyboard, trackpad etc with hand sanitizing gel every day. I just drip some on the screen (2 or 3 drops is all it takes), then use a cloth to wash it all over.

Better than water IMO as it evaporates pretty fast.
For the phone I use “phone soap”, a uv product if you aren’t aware.

Aydy

macrumors 6502a
Nov 22, 2015
Sorry to disturb y’all but I just use a lil bit old fashioned spit and whatever soft material is on my person to wipe down. Only I use my phone so I’m not worried about germs. Also, I believe a little bit of germ warfare is actually good for strengthening the immune system..within reason of course o_O
I think I remember hearing being overly sanitary (obsessively so) can actually have a negative effect on our health. IDK :confused:

Mac2019

macrumors 6502a
Feb 12, 2016
Are you genuinely asking if people run their iphone under a tap to wash it? What next? Turning on the hosepipe to give the TV a clean?

Madness.

Reactions: I7guy

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
Yep just ran my iPhone and MacBook Pro through the disinfect cycle on my dishwasher. Worked a treat nice and clean the iPhone has no more battery or display issues, MacBook Pro no longer throttles. Next up the Mac mini should take care of that coil whine.
Be sure to put it in microwave for 30-45 seconds to evaporate any lingering moisture. ;)

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.