Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Wash means just run it through tap water for few seconds and then wipe it clean with towel.

You’re misinformed, this is what Apple recommends direct from their website:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT207123

• Use a soft, slightly damp, lint-free cloth—for example, a lens cloth.
  • Avoid getting moisture in openings.
  • Don’t use cleaning products or compressed air.
Cleaning products and abrasive materials will further diminish the coating and might scratch your iPhone.

Freakonomics101

macrumors 68030
Nov 6, 2014
No, never. The only cleaning it gets is wiping with a dry cloth to remove fingerprints.

I’m a bit of a germaphobe so I need to use alcohol wipes and then use a soft glasses cloth on the screen.

Water resistance fades over time due to gaskets hardening.
[doublepost=1554483823][/doublepost]

Soap will lower the surface tension of water. Areas like the mesh grill on the speakers and earpiece are designed prevent water entry based on water surface tension.

That's why Apple says it's fine to shower with Apple Watch, but not expose it to soap or soapy water.

100% correct!

eoblaed

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2010
Nope.

I, too, run without a case. Considering I remove (and replace) it from my pocket countless times every day, the friction of sliding across the fabric does a pretty decent job of getting most dust/etc off. If the screen gets a little too spotted I just wipe it deliberately on my t-shirt or jeans. Good as new!

Last edited:

ruiinplano

macrumors member
Apr 5, 2019
Nope.

I, too, run without a case. Considering I remove (and replace) it from may pocket countless times every day, the friction of sliding across the fabric does a pretty decent job of getting most dust/etc off. If the screen gets a little too spotted I just wipe it deliberately on my t-shirt or jeans. Good as new!
you must be single without kid or pet?
How dare you to use it without case?

JBGoode

macrumors 65816
Jun 16, 2018
No. There's nothing to accomplish from exposing my phone to water that a disinfectant wipe wouldn't solve. The risk would be pointless. I find the notion of actually exposing it to running tap water to be mind bogglingly stupid.

Last edited:

HEK

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2013
US Eastern time zone
Wash means just run it through tap water for few seconds and then wipe it clean with towel.

I do, lol. why? because i don't use case and my hand sweats a lot, so i wash it every couple days to ensure the sweats won't eat up the bezel (I know the XS has a SS bezel, but prior to X, iPhone bezel is made of aluminum and my phone got some rust build up, but then iPhone 6 is not a waterproof phone, so I only wipe it with wet paper towel very gently)

Anyone else?
Wait....rust buildup on aluminum?

NJHitmen

macrumors 6502
Oct 8, 2010
Aluminum has been known to corrode from some people who have excessive perspiration. I have seen it on MacBooks.

Is that actually corrosion? Aluminum normally corrodes into aluminum oxide, which is really tough stuff. Doesn't look like rust. It should actually protect the metal beneath.

itsmilo

Suspended
Sep 15, 2016
Berlin, Germany
Sometimes but i also used it in the ocean in Hawaii to take under water videos. I even took a FaceTime call to show off the amazing view (above water) lol that’s what insurance is for

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
Is that actually corrosion? Aluminum normally corrodes into aluminum oxide, which is really tough stuff. Doesn't look like rust. It should actually protect the metal beneath.

A friend of mine has been plagued with sweating palms and feet his whole life. His MacBook Pro 15, especially on the edges around the keyboard were corroded to the point the edges were sluffing off or crumbling. The edges turned white or chalky. He had trouble wearing watches and rings as unless it was gold or stainless, it would damage the item.

Last edited:

Pakaku

macrumors 68040
Aug 29, 2009
I think it's reasonable to wipe down anything your hands stay on, like a phone or a computer mouse, but I don't really think that needs to be done more than once a week or two

But I'd never put anything directly under water, water rating or not

bambooshots

Suspended
Jul 25, 2013
Interesting topic.

I wonder if the next big thing with phones is that they’re made out of some copper alloy or silver alloy and are advertised as antimicrobial.

bushman4

macrumors 601
Mar 22, 2011
Remember one thing
It’s not meant to be in water albeit an occasional drop in the toilet will not kill it
But if you ever have to go to Apple because of a problem and the indicators inside are pink
Which means water Apple will charge you for the repair

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
albeit an occasional drop in the toilet will not kill it
Unfortunately even the very first one could (sometimes just even more the drop aspect of it than the water aspect on its own).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.