Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Remember one thing
It’s not meant to be in water albeit an occasional drop in the toilet will not kill it

An occasional drop in the toilet? It doesn’t matter what type of water exposure, anything that is submerged, is all that is necessary to ruin the water resistance. Submersion and water splashing on the phone are two different things.

acorntoy

macrumors 68020
May 25, 2010
You gotta use a high pressure fire hose to really get in the nooks and crannies. /s

Anyways I would NOT wash it by exposing it directly to water, if your that concerned I would wipe it down with a slightly damp paper towel.

NJHitmen

macrumors 6502
Oct 8, 2010
The only reason I do it is because I don't want my XS to corrode the same way my 6 did. So does the SS corrode too? Thanks.

No. Stainless steel should not corrode under normal circumstances. All bets are off if you splash your phone with strong acid and/or expose it to high temperatures (like, over 500 degrees).

Though if you regularly find yourself dealing with those conditions, you might have bigger problems than a bit of corrosion on your iPhone.

Breaking Good

macrumors 65816
Sep 28, 2012
The front and back the 8 and X series phones are both glass. Why not just use lense wipe to clean it?

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
The front and back the 8 and X series phones are both glass. Why not just use lense wipe to clean it?

You can do that. Some lens wipes are more concentrated, which may or may not affect the Oleophobic coating on the front of the display.

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
I only use a microfiber cloth on my iDevices. That's the only 'washing' I do. Albeit I do it a bit obsessively.

Reactions: AppleWes

Elshad

macrumors member
Mar 29, 2018
United Kingdom
I disinfect my iPhone / iPad regularly about once a month using Dettol and disposable tissues. I also use compressed air in all the ports and wash my cases with soap and water. I always try to avoid activating the water damage indicators though.

Last edited:

RickGrimes

Suspended
Mar 9, 2019
Yep just ran my iPhone and MacBook Pro through the disinfect cycle on my dishwasher. Worked a treat nice and clean the iPhone has no more battery or display issues, MacBook Pro no longer throttles. Next up the Mac mini should take care of that coil whine.

Reactions: AppleWes

iDennis1994

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2015
Yes. Its dirty as ****!! There are more things on your phone then a damn toilet Seat.. you wash your hands, take showers wash your clothes but not your phone which is a million times more dirtier? LMFAO.. I clean it everyday.

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
What if the gaskets used to resist the water are f-ed up and water enters the phone. It's unwise to do so. I know that phones are really dirty and I wipe it with water often but alcohol? Does anyone know if it will destroy the oleophobic coating on the screen?

msp3

Suspended
May 9, 2015
I spray it with the shower head. Am I asking for trouble? Have done this since the iPhone 7

NBAasDOGG

Suspended
May 27, 2017
Netherlands
I wash my Xs regularly under warm tap water, including the frontal speaker grill which can get get dusty and dirty.
I’m doing this for 6 months now and the phone is perfectly fine.

Make sure to not keep it under water for more than 10 second per side (generally, you should keep it short). Immediately wrap your phone with some thick toilet paper. After drying the phone, I use pressurized air to remove excess water from the speaker grills and run a 1Hz-20.000Hz video at max volume to spit out the remaining water! DONE!

Disclaimer: I have tried this for over a year with the iPhone X and Xs. I do not know if it will damage other types of iPhones. Also, my phones are always caseless, but there are no damages, dents or holes on the phone.

Last edited:

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
I was my Xs regularly under warm tap water including the frontal speaker grill which get dusty and dirty.
I’m doing this for 6 months now and the phone is perfectly fine.

Make sure to not keep it under water for more than 10 second per side (generally, you should keep it short). Immediately wrap your phone with some thick toilet paper. After drying the phone, I use pressurized air to remove excess water from the speaker grills and run a 1Hz-20.000Hz video at max volume to spit out the water! DONE!

Disclaimer: I have tried this for over a year with the iPhone X and Xs. I do not know if it will damage other type of iPhones. Also, my phones are always caseless, but there are no damages, dents or holes on my phone.
You are a brave soul. A damp cloth with alcohol or a slightly damp paper towel with water is all I do. I don't want to tempt fate. To clean the speaker grills I would moisten a clean toothbrush with alcohol, that should get rid of the debris. Not everybody might have the success you are having and running the Xs under water could result in a less than desirable outcome.

tl01

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2010
Heck yes! With rubbing alcohol every day. I have a glass screen protector on the front so I don’t ruin the screen.

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
Wash means just run it through tap water for few seconds and then wipe it clean with towel.

I do, lol. why? because i don't use case and my hand sweats a lot, so i wash it every couple days to ensure the sweats won't eat up the bezel (I know the XS has a SS bezel, but prior to X, iPhone bezel is made of aluminum and my phone got some rust build up, but then iPhone 6 is not a waterproof phone, so I only wipe it with wet paper towel very gently)

Anyone else?

Lol I did on my 7 plus. And I can’t prove it but some how my camera developed a weird shadow on it. I can’t prove if it’s the salt water or showering lol but I stopped after that happened and the camera was fixed. I do take it in the ocean though but never to purposely wash it like I used to.

naturalstar

macrumors demi-goddess
Mar 9, 2012
I just need a microfiber cloth most times. One time I had a spot from sticky, BBQ fingers that I didn’t notice right away. I slightly moistened a different microfiber cloth to get at it.

I know someone who has used eyeglass cleaner and another who has used the wipes made specifically for electronics. Neither have reported an issue.

I wouldn’t run it under water though, since the warranty gets voiced with any water damage.

nameischarles

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2014
I take my iPhone XS Max in the shower with me, I don’t get soap or shampoo on it, I have it standing up on a shower shelf but I do use it at times under the flow of the shower head. I should buy a Bluetooth speaker for the bathroom but oh well phone is fine.

I even took a dip with it at the beach and spring water falls while I was on holiday taking videos and photos. I make sure to rinse it under fresh water after, dry it off and don’t charge for a few hours.

I’ve been fast charging this phone too since launch day and still holding 100% condition. Most robust iPhone I have ever had.

Last edited:

Macman845

macrumors newbie
Apr 11, 2019
No, I have never washed my smartphone and I would never recommend anyone to do the same. It is absolutely risking damaging your phone. Apple does not covers water damage so it is better to just wipe your phone with a wet cloth in order to clean it.

msp3

Suspended
May 9, 2015
Much depends on if you have the money to replace your phone
After a recent drop, combined with my normal washing, the most recent Apple Store repair trip for wonky 3D Touch turned up moisture indicators were tripped and I was hit with the $99 replacement deductible under AppleCare+. 1 out of 2 now, don't think I will be washing any more except with a wet cloth...

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
After a recent drop, combined with my normal washing, the most recent Apple Store repair trip for wonky 3D Touch turned up moisture indicators were tripped and I was hit with the $99 replacement deductible under AppleCare+. 1 out of 2 now, don't think I will be washing any more except with a wet cloth...

What’s considered ‘normal washing’ with an iPhone?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.