Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ninflu

macrumors regular
All we can do is use the Feedback App (again). Not that I expect that someone is really looking into that (or aware of this issue). Anyway, it's still there and not solved, so we'll have to wait another week.

It's a bit annoying that this is just happening on my 11 Pro, my iPhone 8 is running smooth and without any issues.

Case: FB7387361

umzyi

macrumors 6502
Apr 21, 2011
UK
I have done reports (FB7399728 and FB7369107) and more but status Recent Similar Reports status remains at:None.
I have my family members at friends do the feedback too but no response from apple on this and no fix.
But didn't post no#55 suggest that apple figured out the cause and were going to fix this, but nothing happened.

Ninflu

macrumors regular
Well, unfortunately we can't downgrade back to iOS 13, otherwise i've done that already. In Post #55 it's mentioned that they (Apple Engineers) are aware of that problem. I don't know what Priority this issue has at Apple, but as this issue is existing a while now (and not fixed), it doesn't seem so high.

But as you know, new Emojis are more important that an acceptable iOS.

bruno.bmn

macrumors newbie
Oct 7, 2019
I also updated to beta 4. Before that, what I figured out is that the problem occurs most when I'm on cellular data, on Wi-Fi too, but with a significantly lower frequency. I'll look at this beta (so far GPS has not activated randomly)

Ninflu

macrumors regular
I also updated to beta 4. Before that, what I figured out is that the problem occurs most when I'm on cellular data, on Wi-Fi too, but with a significantly lower frequency.

Just wait for it :p. After upgrading it started a few minutes later, but now more often than before (my feeling). I've now turned Location Services off, but i've had the same behaviour as you described it- using WiFi and/or Data.

umzyi

macrumors 6502
Apr 21, 2011
UK
Just wait for it :p. After upgrading it started a few minutes later, but now more often than before (my feeling). I've now turned Location Services off, but i've had the same behaviour as you described it- using WiFi and/or Data.
Here we are dealing with two bugs: One is that location services arrow keeps popping up even we have things turned off and second is that even I have turned the status bar icon off, yet it keeps showing the arrow.

xxray

macrumors 68040
Jul 27, 2013
Didn’t notice I had this until this thread, and then I started noticing it. I wonder if this is tied to why I’ve been seeing such lower battery life recently with no change in usage otherwise...

bruno.bmn

macrumors newbie
Oct 7, 2019
Dear God! It seems in this beta the GPS is on ALL THE TIME in celular data. It's worse than the last one.

Last edited:

umzyi

macrumors 6502
Apr 21, 2011
UK
Didn’t notice I had this until this thread, and then I started noticing it. I wonder if this is tied to why I’ve been seeing such lower battery life recently with no change in usage otherwise...
Possibly. Read post#55 where the user reported battery drain problem due to location services and apple engineers found the problem but no fix has been issued.

Ninflu

macrumors regular
Dear God! It seem in this beta the GPS is on ALL THE TIME in celular dafa. It's worse than the last one.

I've had the same feeling on iOS 13.2 Beta 4. I've restored my phone back to iOS 13.1.2. I got it with an installed iOS 13.0 and i'm really regretting that I've installed the newer version.

Will visit an Apple Store this Weekend and try to get a swap. Not really sure if this works, but let's see. Anyway, this annoying bug is starting to p*ss me off.

diego72

macrumors member
Oct 5, 2019
Turin Italy
I've had the same feeling on iOS 13.2 Beta 4. I've restored my phone back to iOS 13.1.2. I got it with an installed iOS 13.0 and i'm really regretting that I've installed the newer version.

Will visit an Apple Store this Weekend and try to get a swap. Not really sure if this works, but let's see. Anyway, this annoying bug is starting to p*ss me off.

unfortunately it is no use I have already changed 3 iphone always the same

papbot

macrumors 68020
May 19, 2015
unfortunately it is no use I have already changed 3 iphone always the same
I’ve been trying to follow this. I have 3 iOS devices, 11 Pro Max, iPhone 7 and 3rd gen iPad Pro 12“ that exhibit the exact same behavior as far as the location services arrow. I haven’t found a bug or any related battery drainage. I have several weather apps, 3 third party ones as well as the Apple Weather app all set to Always. And a 3rd party Find Friends type app that is set to Always. In addition to several system features that are set to Always. those are the ones that i see are using or recently used location services. So I always see the location arrow go from the hollow geofencing status to the solid status. If I turned all the features off that I want I assume I wouldn’t see the arrow much but I want those features on and have not yet seen an issue because of them. Is it that you’re turning location services entirely off and it’s still appearing? I can’t imagine doing that but that could be a bug.

Reactions: BR4DOKYBrazil

umzyi

macrumors 6502
Apr 21, 2011
UK
I’ve been trying to follow this. I have 3 iOS devices, 11 Pro Max, iPhone 7 and 3rd gen iPad Pro 12“ that exhibit the exact same behavior as far as the location services arrow. I haven’t found a bug or any related battery drainage. I have several weather apps, 3 third party ones as well as the Apple Weather app all set to Always. And a 3rd party Find Friends type app that is set to Always. In addition to several system features that are set to Always. those are the ones that i see are using or recently used location services. So I always see the location arrow go from the hollow geofencing status to the solid status. If I turned all the features off that I want I assume I wouldn’t see the arrow much but I want those features on and have not yet seen an issue because of them. Is it that you’re turning location services entirely off and it’s still appearing? I can’t imagine doing that but that could be a bug.

Yes, try on your iPhone 11. Turn location services on but turn off all the apps and services and see each time you unlock the phone, the arrow appears or just randomly appears whatever you are doing.

papbot

macrumors 68020
May 19, 2015
Yes, try on your iPhone 11. Turn location services on but turn off all the apps and services and see each time you unlock the phone, the arrow appears or just randomly appears whatever you are doing.
Even if all apps are disabled the phone still has to locate cell towers and service. I don’t think it’s possible to have a functioning phone and not have location services operate. If you pull the sim or cancel cellular service then it would probably be completely disabled. But I’ve never operated a device that way and wouldn’t want to. If you’re seeing some negative impact that is being directly caused by this I can understand. But none of our 5 devices are having an issue. That’s why I was trying to understand. But iOS 13 has been a source of many other issues.

deep1

macrumors 6502
Mar 29, 2011
I think I have solved the issue ( for me atleast), 24 hours and counting.

I had date and time/set automatically greyed out ie. I couldn't change the timezone manually even though in location , system service , setting time zone was turned off.

so I turned off screen time feature - share across devices and I was able to change to turn off set automatically under date and time.

since then I haven't seen location icon , it is more than 24 hours on iPhone 11 . No diff in battery life though.

papbot

macrumors 68020
May 19, 2015

I had date and time/set automatically greyed out ie. I couldn't change the timezone manually even though in location , system service , setting time zone was turned off.

so I turned off screen time feature - share across devices and I was able to change to turn off set automatically under date and time.

since then I haven't seen location icon , it is more than 24 hours on iPhone 11 . No diff in battery life though.
Yes I’ve not seen any significant battery issues related to location services in years. Not since a traffic app, INRIX, used to hammer my battery when it used location continually and not in a geo fence manner. They corrected that years ago and I haven’t had any such issues since although I no longer use that app. That’s why I keep almost all my location services enabled.

UKapple73

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2014

This didn’t work for me. Set date/time to not set automatically and having same arrows the whole time

deep1

macrumors 6502
Mar 29, 2011
Yes I’ve not seen any significant battery issues related to location services in years. Not since a traffic app, INRIX, used to hammer my battery when it used location continually and not in a geo fence manner. They corrected that years ago and I haven’t had any such issues since although I no longer use that app. That’s why I keep almost all my location services enabled.
With all system setting and location on, you still get good battery life ?

Ninflu

macrumors regular
Even if all apps are disabled the phone still has to locate cell towers and service. I don’t think it’s possible to have a functioning phone and not have location services operate.

Well, the cellphone gets the strongest antenna signal from the cell towers, it's not using gps to locate then (i assume), because otherwise i would have seen this before on my earlier devices.

Also you can turn of GPS completely and you are still able to make calls, receive text messages etc. I stay by my point, this seems to be a bug which is reported to Apple by several Users in this Forum. And pulling out the Simcard is not a solution for me ;-)

We can agree to disagree about, if this is a bug or not. I think it is and it's way beyond normal GPS usage in my experience.

Last edited:

papbot

macrumors 68020
May 19, 2015
Well, the cellphone gets the strongest antenna signal from the cell towers, it's not using gps to locate then (i assume), because otherwise i would have seen this before on my earlier devices.

Also you can turn of GPS completely and you are still able to make calls, receive text messages etc. I stay by my point, this seems to be a bug which is reported to Apple by several Users in this Forum. And pulling out the Simcard is not a solution for me ;-)

We can agree to disagree about, if this is a bug or not. I think it is and it's way beyond normal GPS usage in my experience.
What you are experiencing may be a bug. Only you can decide that. However whenever you switch to Airplane Mode, cutting all radios off, and then cutting them back on will always result in location service arrow appearing. The fact that you said yours is disappearing for a time and then reappearing would imply that you have a lot of the systems set to never or toggled off as you’ve said. With my settings the arrow is always there but cycles between hollow to solid a couple times a minute which is completely normal, or at least is not causing any issues. Turning off location services does not affect the ability to make calls or texts. But whenever the phone is restarted or the radios turned off and on, Air Plane mode, the cell radio will always trigger location service to get the best connection. And those who use Waze or Google maps will always see the arrow.

papbot

macrumors 68020
May 19, 2015
I’ve been on 13.2 (beta) and my location services behavior has been exactly the same as all my other non-beta devices. But specific devices may receive different effects.

diego72

macrumors member
Oct 5, 2019
Turin Italy
Dear God! It seems in this beta the GPS is on ALL THE TIME in celular data. It's worse than the last one.

hello they released ios 13.2 but I don't think the problem has changed ..... has it been solved?
[automerge]1572287893[/automerge]

hello they released ios 13.2 but I don't think the problem has changed ..... has it been solved?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.