Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

umzyi

macrumors 6502
Apr 21, 2011
UK
Yep, disappointed that it has not been fixed and i am getting worried that if it ever will be fixed. Lets see if the next beta cycle picks it up, otherwise, it may be that we may have to wait until ios14.

I have sent several reports to devs and messaged to Craig and tim but no replies. I wonder if anyone had any success in receiving a response from apple regarding this?

Ninflu

macrumors regular
I have sent several reports to devs and messaged to Craig and tim but no replies. I wonder if anyone had any success in receiving a response from apple regarding this?

Well there is this one user who seems to got an answer. But still, in my Feedback App it's showing that no one hasn't reported anything.

I was kind of hoping Apple is releasing another beta today, but that haven't been the case. So let's wait another week and see what happens then.

BR4DOKYBrazil

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2018
Londrina - PR / Brazil
Did the same. Let's hope a new iOS version is coming soon and Macrumors article about the Ram-Management gets apple to do something and address the issues.

What I can't understand is why Apple took so long to fix this bug.

Does the device really keep accessing the GPS or is it just aesthetic? Has anyone noticed battery drainage?

papbot

macrumors 68020
May 19, 2015
What I can't understand is why Apple took so long to fix this bug.

Does the device really keep accessing the GPS or is it just aesthetic? Has anyone noticed battery drainage?
No battery drainage or location issue on my 11 Pro Max. My location services arrow is always on but I have a lot enabled that use it so I expect it to be that way, either hollow or solid.

Reactions: BR4DOKYBrazil

BR4DOKYBrazil

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2018
Londrina - PR / Brazil
I can't say what I did, maybe it's because I deleted the weather app and installed it again (that's the only thing I did), but it's been over 24h that the GPS icon doesn't appear on my device.

Ninflu

macrumors regular
I can't say what I did, maybe it's because I deleted the weather app and installed it again (that's the only thing I did), but it's been over 24h that the GPS icon doesn't appear on my device.

I had the same feeling, but it came back as soon as I started an app using Location Services, and after that the icon happily appears and disappears again. Let's see what happens in the upcoming week, if Apple releases another Beta or a Bugfix for all the Problems iOS 13.2 is causing. Right now, Apple get's a lot af critics regarding iOS 13.2 and the messed up phones- I assume they'll do something soon.

BR4DOKYBrazil

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2018
Londrina - PR / Brazil
I had the same feeling, but it came back as soon as I started an app using Location Services, and after that the icon happily appears and disappears again. Let's see what happens in the upcoming week, if Apple releases another Beta or a Bugfix for all the Problems iOS 13.2 is causing. Right now, Apple get's a lot af critics regarding iOS 13.2 and the messed up phones- I assume they'll do something soon.

It assumes that I haven't opened a location-enabled app yet, like Maps, for example, but really this iOS 13 reminds me of iOS 11 when it came out full of bugs. Believe that iOS 11 was one of the worst.

diego72

macrumors member
Oct 5, 2019
Turin Italy
Same here, it's very frustrating.
I keep leaving my location services turned off and only turn them on when needed (eg Uber, Swarm, etc).

hi, for you the answer I received via e-mail, from the developer Apple of San Francisco, this morning, I copy and paste it for you, is following the case of the gps arrow.

Hi Diego,

I believe you have been encountering two problems, so let me address them separately.

1) Bad battery life --- This issue is still under investigation, but if you were able to update to the latest build available to you and submit a new feedback with logs, that might help this investigation move faster. Battery life is not in my hands, so I can't give you a more detailed update here, but I can be sure your information is being looked at if you do file another. Unfortunately, this would require you to update, and I know you're reluctant to do that right now.

2) Seeing a Location arrow despite everything turned off --- This issue is likely actually independent from the battery life problem you reported, but I can give you a little more detail about what's going on. The U1 chip in your new iPhone 11 Pro drives a radio which is subject to rather complicated regulatory requirements related to possible interference. As such, it can not be used at all without location information to inform whether it may be used legally where you are. In all releases so far, the only way to disable this level of basic location awareness is to turn Location Services off altogether. My recommendation would be not to worry about this usage, but I can understand if you'd rather have it off. Unfortunately, I can't give you a timeline for when you might be able to make that decision. At the least, this issue should not be causing your battery life problems.

Sorry I don't have anything better to tell you!

diego72

macrumors member
Oct 5, 2019
Turin Italy
Even if all apps are disabled the phone still has to locate cell towers and service. I don’t think it’s possible to have a functioning phone and not have location services operate. If you pull the sim or cancel cellular service then it would probably be completely disabled. But I’ve never operated a device that way and wouldn’t want to. If you’re seeing some negative impact that is being directly caused by this I can understand. But none of our 5 devices are having an issue. That’s why I was trying to understand. But iOS 13 has been a source of many other issues.

hi, for you the answer I received via e-mail, from the developer Apple of San Francisco, this morning, I copy and paste it for you, is following the case of the gps arrow.

Hi Diego,

I believe you have been encountering two problems, so let me address them separately.

1) Bad battery life --- This issue is still under investigation, but if you were able to update to the latest build available to you and submit a new feedback with logs, that might help this investigation move faster. Battery life is not in my hands, so I can't give you a more detailed update here, but I can be sure your information is being looked at if you do file another. Unfortunately, this would require you to update, and I know you're reluctant to do that right now.

2) Seeing a Location arrow despite everything turned off --- This issue is likely actually independent from the battery life problem you reported, but I can give you a little more detail about what's going on. The U1 chip in your new iPhone 11 Pro drives a radio which is subject to rather complicated regulatory requirements related to possible interference. As such, it can not be used at all without location information to inform whether it may be used legally where you are. In all releases so far, the only way to disable this level of basic location awareness is to turn Location Services off altogether. My recommendation would be not to worry about this usage, but I can understand if you'd rather have it off. Unfortunately, I can't give you a timeline for when you might be able to make that decision. At the least, this issue should not be causing your battery life problems.

[automerge]1572978021[/automerge]

Hi Diego,

Reactions: umzyi

umzyi

macrumors 6502
Apr 21, 2011
UK

well in that case apple should atleast find a way to hide that arrow which constantly comes and disappears.

BR4DOKYBrazil

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2018
Londrina - PR / Brazil

Hi Diego,

So is it normal for our devices to access GPS all the time because of the U1 Chip and we have no way to disable? Unbelievable.

diego72

macrumors member
Oct 5, 2019
Turin Italy
So is it normal for our devices to access GPS all the time because of the U1 Chip and we have no way to disable? Unbelievable.
at the moment unfortunately yes, until they find a solution, but it is under investigation!
[automerge]1572978828[/automerge]
well in that case apple should atleast find a way to hide that arrow which constantly comes and disappears.
Yes, well in that case apple should atleast find a way to hide that arrow which constantly comes and disappears.
[automerge]1572978936[/automerge]
at the moment unfortunately yes, until they find a solution, but it is under investigation!
[automerge]1572978828[/automerge]

Yes, well in that case apple should atleast find a way to hide that arrow which constantly comes and disappears.

sorry......

at the moment it is normal and says that it does not affect the battery, but they are investigating for goats whether and or it will be possible to solve the problem but no one knows when unfortunately
[automerge]1572978947[/automerge]
at the moment it is normal and says that it does not affect the battery, but they are investigating for goats whether and or it will be possible to solve the problem but no one knows when unfortunately

UKapple73

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2014
Why are some people assuming the arrow indicates GPS being on? There are other ways for the phone to gain location data, such as WiFi and the cell network itself

diego72

macrumors member
Oct 5, 2019
Turin Italy
Why are some people assuming the arrow indicates GPS being on? There are other ways for the phone to gain location data, such as WiFi and the cell network itself

in theory the arrow usually indicates a system application and not a system one, which is sending information about our position.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.