Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

papbot

macrumors 68020
May 19, 2015
No change in my location services arrow. It was always on, either hollow or solid, and it still is. But thats not a bug for me as thats what I expect with my settings.

Ninflu

macrumors regular
Great!! Let's wait for 2 or 3 days and you let us know if they really fixed it, because sometimes this bug gives a "sleep" and then wakes up.

i just installed it and let you know what happens. Oh just while i'm writing this text my little friend "arrow" is back again. So probably like said before, the U1 Chip is causing the problem. Or let's say not a problem, this behavior as it's not documented anywhere.

Reactions: BR4DOKYBrazil

BR4DOKYBrazil

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2018
Londrina - PR / Brazil
i just installed it and let you know what happens. Oh just while i'm writing this text my little friend "arrow" is back again. So probably like said before, the U1 Chip is causing the problem. Or let's say not a problem, this behavior as it's not documented anywhere.

This has to be a bug, otherwise I would have an option on the system for me to disable this U1 chip location check as there are for apps and stuff. The system doesn't even tell you what app or system my GPS is using.

Reactions: Ninflu

papbot

macrumors 68020
May 19, 2015
The system doesn't even tell you what app or system my GPS is using.
Under Location Services you do not see the arrow either hollow, solid, dark or purple next to the relevant services? All my apps and services that are or were using location recently have one of the symbols next to them. If yours don’t that is definitely a bug.

BR4DOKYBrazil

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2018
Londrina - PR / Brazil
Under Location Services you do not see the arrow either hollow, solid, dark or purple next to the relevant services? All my apps and services that are or were using location recently have one of the symbols next to them. If yours don’t that is definitely a bug.

None, including system ones, do not show which one is using GPS, and it keeps appearing next to the clock.

Reactions: NNowak19

papbot

macrumors 68020
May 19, 2015
None, including system ones, do not show which one is using GPS, and it keeps appearing next to the clock.
Yeah I would consider that a bug if individual services are not displaying the arrow. What you mentioned about switching cell networks, 4G, LTE, etc. or turning Airplane mode off again I believe will always bring the arrow up as your cellular radio looks for a tower. That’s what always has happened on my phones. Then it should disappear unless another service kicks in.

Below is a partial screenshot of what my Location services is displaying. One, Life360, a highly recommended app, requires constant access to location so it’s one of the apps that will keep the arrow permanently on the screen in the hollow form pictured as does the MyRadar app - no battery impact. The News app has used location in the last 24 hours.

Attachments

• EF923179-8932-4EBD-946E-76EAC5453F8E.jpeg
    EF923179-8932-4EBD-946E-76EAC5453F8E.jpeg
    543.2 KB · Views: 127

BR4DOKYBrazil

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2018
Londrina - PR / Brazil
Yeah I would consider that a bug if individual services are not displaying the arrow. What you mentioned about switching cell networks, 4G, LTE, etc. or turning Airplane mode off again I believe will always bring the arrow up as your cellular radio looks for a tower. That’s what always has happened on my phones. Then it should disappear unless another service kicks in.

But that didn't happen on my Xs.

papbot

macrumors 68020
May 19, 2015
I no longer have my XS but I believe I’ve always seen this happen on all my phones when I get off a plane and turn Airplane Mode off in the couple seconds it takes to re-establish a cell connection. That’s really the only time I‘ve used airplane mode consistently. But it’s just not something I’ve ever paid a lot of attention to.

umzyi

macrumors 6502
Apr 21, 2011
UK
I no longer have my XS but I believe I’ve always seen this happen on all my phones when I get off a plane and turn Airplane Mode off in the couple seconds it takes to re-establish a cell connection. That’s really the only time I‘ve used airplane mode consistently. But it’s just not something I’ve ever paid a lot of attention to.

That is because you may have left mobile network search and other services toggle on hence seeing the arrow. But most of us including me is seeing that even though we toggle everything off, we see the arrow. That is not normal and we are hoping that it is bug which apple fix it.

atlchamp

macrumors 68020
Jun 19, 2012
Atlanta
Guys idk what settings y’all have or whatever but this is fixed. I promise you. It was always on for me and on 13.3 it’s not anymore unless I open an app that requires location services

BR4DOKYBrazil

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2018
Londrina - PR / Brazil
That is because you may have left mobile network search and other services toggle on hence seeing the arrow. But most of us including me is seeing that even though we toggle everything off, we see the arrow. That is not normal and we are hoping that it is bug which apple fix it.

Exactly.
[automerge]1573063174[/automerge]
Guys idk what settings y’all have or whatever but this is fixed. I promise you. It was always on for me and on 13.3 it’s not anymore unless I open an app that requires location services

There was a user who said he still has the same bug. And now?

papbot

macrumors 68020
May 19, 2015
Sometimes I watch some YouTubers videos fiddling with the iPhone 11 Pro Max and their devices also get the arrow popping up and disappearing. One of them is "EverythingApplePro".
I’m guessing, and strictly a guess, that what you’re seeing is not a bug. For those on the betas who have submitted reports through the feedback app you may well get a response that it is functioning as designed. I say that because on our 5 devices we see the same behavior that‘s been discussed here and it‘s what we expect. Perhaps going to the feedback page and submitting a request for it to be changed back to what you want is warranted. It’s quite possible that the function was changed. We wouldn’t know because our location arrow has been permanent for years, either solid or hollow. It’s possible that it now goes solid more often than before but there’s really no way for me to tell.

Ninflu

macrumors regular
I’m guessing, and strictly a guess, that what you’re seeing is not a bug. For those on the betas who have submitted reports through the feedback app you may well get a response that it is functioning as designed. I say that because on our 5 devices we see the same behavior that‘s been discussed here and it‘s what we expect.

I know we already agreed to disagree, but anyway: In this thread the Apple dev from california mentioned that this behavior has something to do with the U1 Chip. And I also read that the U1 Chip is using location services to search for Air Drop enables devices. So you're correct it's not a bug. But, it's annoying that Apple silently enabled this feature in iOS 13.1 and that there is no way to turn it off yet. Whatever this U1 Chip is doing in my phone, I would to decide if it sends my location or not. And the way to turn off location services at all is not an acceptable way.

So it's not a bug, it's sold as a feature. But a very annoying one which affects all iPhone 11 / 11Pro / 11 Pro Max users as these phones have this new Chip.

Read more: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/apple-u1-chip-explained/?amp

BR4DOKYBrazil

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2018
Londrina - PR / Brazil
I know we already agreed to disagree, but anyway: In this thread the Apple dev from california mentioned that this behavior has something to do with the U1 Chip. And I also read that the U1 Chip is using location services to search for Air Drop enables devices. So you're correct it's not a bug. But, it's annoying that Apple silently enabled this feature in iOS 13.1 and that there is no way to turn it off yet. Whatever this U1 Chip is doing in my phone, I would to decide if it sends my location or not. And the way to turn off location services at all is not an acceptable way.

So it's not a bug, it's sold as a feature. But a very annoying one which affects all iPhone 11 / 11Pro / 11 Pro Max users as these phones have this new Chip.

Read more: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/apple-u1-chip-explained/?amp

Exactly! Perfect!

papbot

macrumors 68020
May 19, 2015
That was my point. I don’t know whether the chip is responsible for the behavior you don’t want since all my non U1 devices behave the same as my 11 Pro Max. So it’s impossible for me to tell. But as you stated it’s a feature apparently, not a bug. So it’s not likely that another software update will change anything. But if there are enough complaints or negative feedback maybe they’ll alter the behavior in the future. That does happen occasionally.

umzyi

macrumors 6502
Apr 21, 2011
UK
In that case, i may have solution which I have done on mine:

I have enabled find my iphone, emergency calls & sos and apple pay from services.
google maps and other a few other apps from the app section. And then set the status bar icon toggle to off.
Either wait or reboot the phone.

now the arrow does not appear unless I use an app which I have allowed access in location services.

The difference is: in previous iphones, i used to leave status bar icon toggle to on and as we know there was no U1 chip so the arrow never used to come randomly; only when the app requests the location data.

In iphone 11, since there is new U1 chip, and the arrow keeps appearing, we have to put status bar icon toggle to off. so we don't see random popups. But the solid arrow will appear anyways whenever we use an app that we have allowed to use location services.

Hope this all makes sense.

Reactions: brucemr
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.