Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alexandero

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2004
Update regarding 4k@60Hz support of the CalDigit USB-C dock (reviewed at #684): the special firmware required for enabling it (while reducing USB speeds to 2.0) can only be installed when connecting the dock to a Windows (!) computer. So make sure you have access to a Windows-computer with USB-C port before ordering that dock, or first ask the CalDigit support if there's a firmware available that can be installed from a Mac.

Reactions: dealjunkie

carestudio

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2008
Update regarding 4k@60Hz support of the CalDigit USB-C dock (reviewed at #684): the special firmware required for enabling it (while reducing USB speeds to 2.0) can only be installed when connecting the dock to a Windows (!) computer. So make sure you have access to a Windows-computer with USB-C port before ordering that dock, or first ask the CalDigit support if there's a firmware available that can be installed from a Mac.

Thank you for the tips. I contacted their support team and got 4K@60Hz firmware. Load the firmware from Bootcamp Windows, and it changed to 4K60Hz support. Verified it in Windows and macOS, both can do 4K60Hz. Nice. Just the USB 2.0 speed. I put it back to 4K30Hz firmware which is the default firmware afterward because I need USB 3 speed. LOL.

Apple LG ultra 4K monitor comes with 4K60Hz and USB 2.0 speed design, so I think both Apple and CalDigit have the same design and spec.

joevt

Contributor
Jun 21, 2012
Yes thats the device, however, I dont want to use the patch as I dont know what issues it might cause...

Each patch script has the original and changed bytes in hex so anyone can see what is changed (but you have to look at the original files to know the context).

Each patch script has a help option to list all the options. The options are patch, unpatch (to undo the patch), and status (to tell you if the file is patched or not).

So it should be pretty easy to undo the patches.

To be safe, you could boot the Recovery HD partition, run Disk Utility, create a new partition, then restore from your OS X partition to the new partition (this copies your OS X partition), and apply the patch just to that. Give the new OS X partition a different name after the restore is done.

snake007uk

macrumors member
Jan 8, 2008
Each patch script has the original and changed bytes in hex so anyone can see what is changed (but you have to look at the original files to know the context).

Each patch script has a help option to list all the options. The options are patch, unpatch (to undo the patch), and status (to tell you if the file is patched or not).

So it should be pretty easy to undo the patches.

To be safe, you could boot the Recovery HD partition, run Disk Utility, create a new partition, then restore from your OS X partition to the new partition (this copies your OS X partition), and apply the patch just to that. Give the new OS X partition a different name after the restore is done.

The thing is, why did apple disable it? thats the scary part....

Tomb01

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2009
Colleyville, TX
Still haven't ordered the new MBP yet, but plan to do that in January. Two questions, from a curiosity standpoint. I have the Belkin Thunderbolt 2 dock, has anyone tried it with the Thunderbolt 2 - 3 adapter? Second, has anyone seen an adapter that might let me use my current (multiple) power supplies with the new USB C connections? (I see the Griffin Technology Breaksafe, but was hoping for just something that connects the magsafe to the USB port (similar to the Magsafe to Magsafe 2 adapter). Envy you folks that have already ordered the new MBP....

anson42

Contributor
Mar 13, 2014
Oakland, CA
I have the Belkin Thunderbolt 2 dock, has anyone tried it with the Thunderbolt 2 - 3 adapter? Second, has anyone seen an adapter that might let me use my current (multiple) power supplies with the new USB C connections?

1. Sorry don't have that dock, but I do use the TB3 to TB2 adapter successfully with the Apple Thunderbolt Display, all ports on the back of the monitor work. Seems like a solid adapter. Buy one now before the price goes up in Jan.

2. There's one on Amazon that passes 45W, probably not enough for MBP. That's the only one I've seen but I would like one that can pass more power to work with the magsafe from my TB monitor!

https://www.amazon.com/HIOTECH-MagSafe-Adapter-Converter-Connector/dp/B0167WMHP0/

joevt

Contributor
Jun 21, 2012
Has anyone seen a dongle with VGA and HDMI out? (not looking for a big expensive dock)
There are many dongle's that will output VGA or HDMI from USB-C. You can also use DisplayPort or mini DisplayPort adapters with a USB-C adapter to DisplayPort adapter. There may be adapters that do both VGA and HDMI. There are also adapters that can convert HDMI to VGA.

Passive HDMI adapters will allow HDMI 1.4 speeds (340 MHz pixel clock max). You need an active adapter for HDMI 2.0 (600 MHz pixel clock max).

VGA adapters may allow a max pixel clock of 160 MHz. I have one ( http://plugable.com/products/usbc-vga/ ) that does 330 MHz but I had to make a kernel extension patch to get beyond 160 MHz in Mac OS X El Capitan using Apple's Skylake graphics driver.

I would like to see a DisplayPort male to USB-C female adapter so I can plug these new USB-C alt mode adapters into non-USB-C ports (since USB-C alt mode is just DisplayPort - unless it's Thunderbolt) such as graphics cards that only have DisplayPort.

Ygymac

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2016
Please Is there a universal solution to get 2x USB A, HDMI and SD card reader all in one dock/adapter ?

scottydawg

macrumors 6502
Jan 22, 2008
Sacramento, CA
Please Is there a universal solution to get 2x USB A, HDMI and SD card reader all in one dock/adapter ?

This one should be perfect for what you want: https://www.amazon.com/Satechi-Aluminum-Multi-Port-Adapter-Ethernet/dp/B01FWT7MEA

http://www.satechi.net/index.php/sa...t-sd-micro-card-reader-3-usb-3-0-ports-silver
[doublepost=1480614027][/doublepost]This has probably been posted before but it looks like a great Aux Battery/Port solution: https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/line-dock-thinnest-and-smartest-laptop-power-bank-battery--2#/

groundcontrol

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2014
Toronto, ON, Canada
Can anyone help me find a short USB-C to USB B cable (the kind you use with many portable hard drives these days)? A USB 3.0 or 3.1 version cable like that. I've seen a 3 Ft version from Monoprice but that's too long. A 1-1.5 Ft long one, or even shorter, would be better for my portable hard drives.

And if the cable can be well reviewed/recommended even better.

Thanks in advance!

Lou-X

macrumors member
Oct 31, 2016
I don't think that Dell adapter can drive 2 monitors together (1hdmi +1vga). On Amazon a review says that there is even not space for both cables together at the same time (absurd?)

I'm looking too for a solution like that.

Calleknug

macrumors member
Sep 9, 2014
There are many dongle's that will output VGA or HDMI from USB-C. You can also use DisplayPort or mini DisplayPort adapters with a USB-C adapter to DisplayPort adapter. There may be adapters that do both VGA and HDMI. There are also adapters that can convert HDMI to VGA.

Passive HDMI adapters will allow HDMI 1.4 speeds (340 MHz pixel clock max). You need an active adapter for HDMI 2.0 (600 MHz pixel clock max).

VGA adapters may allow a max pixel clock of 160 MHz. I have one ( http://plugable.com/products/usbc-vga/ ) that does 330 MHz but I had to make a kernel extension patch to get beyond 160 MHz in Mac OS X El Capitan using Apple's Skylake graphics driver.

I would like to see a DisplayPort male to USB-C female adapter so I can plug these new USB-C alt mode adapters into non-USB-C ports (since USB-C alt mode is just DisplayPort - unless it's Thunderbolt) such as graphics cards that only have DisplayPort.

Thanks for the info, thought I could just buy a dongle with both hdmi and

Thanks for the input, wow this is really disturbing news. I was expecting to be able to plug a hdmi dongle into a port and it would output 4k (up to 60fps). This dongle things will get very price and there is no money left after the pricey computer itself.

Ianbuckley

macrumors newbie
May 5, 2013
Can anyone help me find a short USB-C to USB B cable (the kind you use with many portable hard drives these days)? A USB 3.0 or 3.1 version cable like that. I've seen a 3 Ft version from Monoprice but that's too long. A 1-1.5 Ft long one, or even shorter, would be better for my portable hard drives.

And if the cable can be well reviewed/recommended even better.

Thanks in advance!

I use this one from Belkin, its 1m in length Belkin USB-C to Micro-B Cable (USB 3.1) to connect to a 2TB WD MyPassport Ultra and 500GB WD MyPassport Edge.

Reactions: groundcontrol

anson42

Contributor
Mar 13, 2014
Oakland, CA

Alas I use the monoprice one to good effect but is too long for you. For others, the product is:

http://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=14853

and is very well priced. Unfortunately the palette 2.0 cable that does come in a short version is usb 2.0 only.

Reactions: groundcontrol

groundcontrol

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2014
Toronto, ON, Canada
Thank you @Ianbuckley and @anson42 for your replies. I appreciate it.

I was about to ask if anyone has experience using the Monoprice ones that you linked to, @anson42. If I can't get a shorter USB 3.0/3.1 cable, I would settle for a less expensive 3' long one, And that Monoprice one looks alright.

Monoprice has a good reputation, but is there anything to be concerned about in buying that cable from them? I tried googling "Benson Leung and USB-C to Micro-B USB cable" but could not find any testing that he has done on any brand of that particular type of cable. Any thoughts folks? Just to reassure me before buying 4 of them from Monoprice?! :)

anson42

Contributor
Mar 13, 2014
Oakland, CA
I was about to ask if anyone has experience using the Monoprice ones that you linked to, @anson42. If I can't get a shorter USB 3.0/3.1 cable, I would settle for a less expensive 3' long one, And that Monoprice one looks alright.

My experience so far has been great! I have that one and one that terminates in USB 3 type B for a drive array. Both operate at the expected USB 3 speeds. The micro-B sends power over to my portable SSD as well. While I would not purchase the palette 2.0 cables (slow USB 2, low power delivery), I would definitely buy the 3.0 cables again.

I also have the monoprice USB-C PD (power delivery) cable that is currently sold out. While I can't verify the actual power draw from my MBP, monoprice rates the cable at 100W and it charges my MBP at the same rate as the Apple USB power cable. The added benefit of the monoprice PD cable is that it is also is a USB 3 speed sync cable whereas the Apple charge cable is only USB 2, but that's not something I can verify as I don't own a peripheral with a USB-C port yet.

groundcontrol

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2014
Toronto, ON, Canada
My experience so far has been great! I have that one and one that terminates in USB 3 type B for a drive array. Both operate at the expected USB 3 speeds. The micro-B sends power over to my portable SSD as well. While I would not purchase the palette 2.0 cables (slow USB 2, low power delivery), I would definitely buy the 3.0 cables again.

I also have the monoprice USB-C PD (power delivery) cable that is currently sold out. While I can't verify the actual power draw from my MBP, monoprice rates the cable at 100W and it charges my MBP at the same rate as the Apple USB power cable. The added benefit of the monoprice PD cable is that it is also is a USB 3 speed sync cable whereas the Apple charge cable is only USB 2, but that's not something I can verify as I don't own a peripheral with a USB-C port yet.

Thanks so much @anson42. This is a real help. I feel more confident buying these cables from Monoprice. Cheers!

Reactions: anson42

justywusty

macrumors 6502
Apr 10, 2009
Winnipeg, MB
So what is the best option for an ultrawide monitor over hdmi? I got a dongle that doesn't support the extra width of the 1080 high resolution even with a 3rd party resolution app. It's maxed at 1920x1080.

Creep89

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2012
Is there a working USB-C to Ethernet + USB adapter? I got one from Aukey but after sleep the LAN is not recognized anymore and I have to reboot in order to get it working again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.