Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cerberusss

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2013
The Netherlands

comptr

macrumors 68000
Oct 25, 2007
Arizona

cerberusss

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2013
The Netherlands
So its the case, then I could use any usb c adaptor like the HooToo adaptors or the satechi adaptors then.
As far as I know, all limited to 60W. But yes, you could use them. They all have one surprise or another, like getting hot, having an Ethernet port needing a driver, getting hot, having a short captive cable, limiting 4K monitor output to 30Hz, not able to copy files from one connected drive to another, needing to reconnect after sleep, et cetera. Study and read the reviews, and make sure to test your particular setup before the return period ends :)

richpjr

macrumors 68040
May 9, 2006
Lots of connectivity with it, but I'd really prefer a more traditional dock style so cables aren't going off in all directions. Can't wait for the OWC dock to be released.

Reactions: satcomer

irontiger82

Suspended
Sep 2, 2011
Does it pass threw power for the 15" TB MBP ?

Yeah it does pass-through power. Charges my MBP just fine. But since I plug it in my laptop direct to a USB-C port and use the hub for the other USB-C port. I don't have many USB-C devices yet so I just got really 2 opened plugs.

comptr

macrumors 68000
Oct 25, 2007
Arizona
Yeah it does pass-through power. Charges my MBP just fine. But since I plug it in my laptop direct to a USB-C port and use the hub for the other USB-C port. I don't have many USB-C devices yet so I just got really 2 opened plugs.

So it passes threw the full 87watts then. So this adaptor is better then the apple a/v one and how does the SD card reader work ? If it all works fine I am going to take back the apple a/v adaptor and get this one instead plus a usb c to ethernet.

cerberusss

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2013
The Netherlands
So it passes threw the full 87watts then
Sorry to nitpick, but you can't make that assumption. The MacBook uses USB-C Power Delivery. It simply will request which wattages are supported, and ramp up its usage to the limit of the attached charger. Devices between the charger and the MacBook can certainly limit the wattage.

Just because it charges, does not mean it charges for the full 87 watt. You can check this by connecting any charger, going to Apple menu -> About this Mac -> System Report. Then in System Report, check the left side. There's a Power item. When you select that, you can see at the bottom how much it's able to pull.

comptr

macrumors 68000
Oct 25, 2007
Arizona
Sorry to nitpick, but you can't make that assumption. The MacBook uses USB-C Power Delivery. It simply will request which wattages are supported, and ramp up its usage to the limit of the attached charger. Devices between the charger and the MacBook can certainly limit the wattage.

Just because it charges, does not mean it charges for the full 87 watt. You can check this by connecting any charger, going to Apple menu -> About this Mac -> System Report. Then in System Report, check the left side. There's a Power item. When you select that, you can see at the bottom how much it's able to pull.

Ahh ok I was wondering since I use the TB MBP for running lightroom, editing 4k video via final cut, and once in a while photoshop. As I use a external Samsung T2 ssd as my scratch disk and my lightroom library is on a external hard drive too, but I am replacing that drive with one with a usb c port on it and I will get a larger one since mine is full.

Reactions: cerberusss

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
Reactions: biosci

therealseebs

macrumors 65816
Apr 14, 2010
So it passes threw the full 87watts then. So this adaptor is better then the apple a/v one and how does the SD card reader work ? If it all works fine I am going to take back the apple a/v adaptor and get this one instead plus a usb c to ethernet.

Nothing said here indicates that it provides the full 87 watts. Also, "through".

dyn

macrumors 68030
Aug 8, 2009
.nl
Can't believe it doesn't have HDMI but it has firewire.
HDMI on a dock meant for a computer doesn't make much sense as HDMI is a multimedia interface. For computer displays you either use DVI or DisplayPort. The beauty with DisplayPort is that you can have a DisplayPort++ port (DP++) which just means that it can do VGA, HDMI/DVI and DisplayPort. The only thing you need is a cable with the proper connectors at each end. Since OWC has settled for mDP you shouldn't have trouble finding those, in fact, most people can still use their existing cables.

imm22

macrumors regular
Sep 28, 2008
Portugal
Most dongles (USB-c) with VGA output won't work if used with 2meter + cables

I've tested 5 of them, and only the apple vga adapter works well on all situations I've tested (class room and conference rooms)
The MacBook Pro 2016 with the Radeon pro 460 isn't able to detect the video projector (macOS and windows) reverting to 640x480

Specwar762

macrumors newbie
Dec 5, 2016
I just ordered a Juiced Systems Biz-Hub since it was available on AMZ Prime. Should receive it on Wednesday.

Hallvalla

Suspended
Nov 13, 2006
Most dongles (USB-c) with VGA output won't work if used with 2meter + cables

I've tested 5 of them, and only the apple vga adapter works well on all situations I've tested (class room and conference rooms)
The MacBook Pro 2016 with the Radeon pro 460 isn't able to detect the video projector (macOS and windows) reverting to 640x480
What cables/adapters would you recommend for hooking up to a projector?

Hallvalla

Suspended
Nov 13, 2006
These are what I ended up ordering. Hopefully it covers all my bases:

• Cable Matters USB 3.1 Type C (USB-C & Thunderbolt 3 Port Compatible) to DVI Adapter in Black
• USB Type C Adapter, AllSmartLife USB C Type to Mini DisplayPort/Mini DP Adapter Cable
• Cable Matters USB-C Multiport Adapter with 4K HDMI or VGA Video and Gigabit Ethernet

HDMI, VGA, DVI, and Mini DisplayPort. Hopefully these cover my bases for presentations. Any thoughts?

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
These are what I ended up ordering. Hopefully it covers all my bases:

• Cable Matters USB 3.1 Type C (USB-C & Thunderbolt 3 Port Compatible) to DVI Adapter in Black
• USB Type C Adapter, AllSmartLife USB C Type to Mini DisplayPort/Mini DP Adapter Cable
• Cable Matters USB-C Multiport Adapter with 4K HDMI or VGA Video and Gigabit Ethernet

HDMI, VGA, DVI, and Mini DisplayPort. Hopefully these cover my bases for presentations. Any thoughts?

That's two extra things to lose. Personally I'd want something all-in-one like this: http://staples.com/StarTechcom-CDPV...000015225244&gclid=COTn6JLAwtECFQqFaQodtCIPYA

Fozzybadfeet

macrumors 6502a
Oct 7, 2009
Picked this up from Monoprice...Didn't realized that they had a dongle that had a 4th USB hub, instead of a Ethernet port, smh. Oh well. Hoping it works well.
152502.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.