Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

richpjr

macrumors 68040
May 9, 2006
Is there a working USB-C to Ethernet + USB adapter? I got one from Aukey but after sleep the LAN is not recognized anymore and I have to reboot in order to get it working again.

I am using the Belkin adapter and it works just fine - have had none of those issues.
[doublepost=1480723708][/doublepost]
I am using the Belkin adapter and it works just fine - have had none of those issues.

Ah, sorry, to clarify the Belkin is USB C to ethernet only. Missed the USB part.
[doublepost=1480723738][/doublepost]
Can't believe it doesn't have HDMI but it has firewire.

No kidding. Don't like that tradeoff at all.

cito

macrumors newbie
Jun 19, 2009
Sorry for reposting if already out there but has everyone seen this video? Funny even to this fanboy!

Last edited:
Reactions: cerberusss

ThisBougieLife

Suspended
Jan 21, 2016
Northern California
Is the Apple USB-C to USB-A connector the best one? I've heard things about other ones exploding and not working half the time or something...but I also heard the Apple one is only USB 2.0? So what's the best one?

snake007uk

macrumors member
Jan 8, 2008
I tried this cable: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01E9RTEI8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It wont run 4k @60hz on MBP 13inch late 2016

See attached screenshot

confused as to what will allow me to run a 4k DP monitor at 60hz
[doublepost=1480768425][/doublepost]
I tried this cable: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01E9RTEI8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It wont run 4k @60hz on MBP 13inch late 2016

See attached screenshot

confused as to what will allow me to run a 4k DP monitor at 60hz

----------------

I got it work by swapping which port it used and on the macbook ? then when i placed it back it to the original port it worked... must be buggy software issue

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-12-03 at 12.02.07.png
    Screen Shot 2016-12-03 at 12.02.07.png
    19.9 KB · Views: 168
Reactions: jimthing

hcole623

macrumors regular
Oct 4, 2013
Follow up question regarding the OE Apple digital multiport adapter with HDMI...

I originally bought this adapter in early 2015 for my '15 rMB 12". When I use the new USB-C charge cable supplied with my '16 MBP, it almost feels like I'm breaking the connector trying to insert it into the multiport adapter, the old USB-C charge cable from the retina MacBook 12" gave a nice audible click feel. I understand these cables are different, as the one supplied with the new MBP is larger in diameter and the AC adapter is higher wattage. Has anyone else experienced this?

neoelectronaut

Cancelled
Dec 3, 2003
I use a Western Digital Hard Drive connected to my iMac via FW800 for Time Machine backups and I'll probably be doing my migration assistant transfer to my new Macbook Pro via that instead of going with a direct cable connection. (Unless you guys recommend otherwise.)

Is there any way to connect FW800 to the Macbook Pro or should I just stick with USB 2.0 instead? I'll be moving Time Machine backups to an Airport Extreme in the future which only does 2.0 anyway.

thesaint024

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2016
suspension waiting room
Sorry if this was mentioned in previous posts

What do you guys think about this hub? Looks fine

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/hypershop/hyperdrivetm-compact-thunderbolt-3-usb-c-hub-for-m
Of course someone beat me to it. I was going to share this as well. If I understand correctly, the killer feature on here is the 4k@60hz with full usb-c bandwidth 5ghz. I don't believe any of the usb-c hubs do this currently. I could be wrong. Not paying close attention since I'm using a hub for DP, not HDMI.

jimthing

macrumors 68000
Apr 6, 2011
No, it's a Tbolt 3 hub, not just a USB-C one — hence the feature many may want, is both HDMI and Tbolt 3 displays via the one dock.

Granted the HDMI at 4K is limited to 30Hz regardless (though 1080p is 60Hz, and likely 1440p at 60Hz too – though of course they don't clarify what 1440p would do!), but still, one also gets Tbolt 3 5K at 60Hz at the same time.

From a MBP, this may mean running 2x LG 5K's at 60Hz, another HDTV at 60Hz, and the MBP's screen, all at the same time (the other LG 5K from the other side of the MBP, of course).

Incidentally, the USB-A's & C's all run at 5Gbps, and not 10Gbps (that gen-2 C's can offer), though that's to have enough bandwidth for all the remaining (non-display) ports, I'd think.

Last edited:
Reactions: roland.schemers

AnonymousDuck

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2016

comptr

macrumors 68000
Oct 25, 2007
Arizona
So I have been reading threw this thread & I am looking for a dongle or dongles with 2 or 3 regular usb 3.0 ports, HDMI port that supports 4k, ethernet & card reader. Can I find all of those ports in one dongle or do I need to get 2 or 3 dongles. I usually plug in 2 external hard drives, external monitor, ethernet cable, and dongle for mouse. I will be plugging the dongle into the 15" touch bar model.

comptr

macrumors 68000
Oct 25, 2007
Arizona
So I sort of need to decide on what dongles I should get. The ports I need are HDMI, Ethernet, at least 2 or 3 full usb ports and a SD Card Reader. I do not use all of the ports every day but I do use them so based on that what sort of dongles should I look at. I have been looking at the dell dongle but it does not pass threw power and with that dongle I would need to add separate sd card reader. I have been looking at this dongle the Satechi Aluminum Multi-Port Adapter 4K but its 79.99. Another option is to get the apple Multiport Digital A/V adaptor & a SD card reader & a ethernet adaptor. Which option is better or is there a dongle I am missing ?

richpjr

macrumors 68040
May 9, 2006
So I sort of need to decide on what dongles I should get. The ports I need are HDMI, Ethernet, at least 2 or 3 full usb ports and a SD Card Reader. I do not use all of the ports every day but I do use them so based on that what sort of dongles should I look at. I have been looking at the dell dongle but it does not pass threw power and with that dongle I would need to add separate sd card reader. I have been looking at this dongle the Satechi Aluminum Multi-Port Adapter 4K but its 79.99. Another option is to get the apple Multiport Digital A/V adaptor & a SD card reader & a ethernet adaptor. Which option is better or is there a dongle I am missing ?

I went with the second option, though can't say much about the Satechi aside from a friend has it and has problems with it.

TigerWoodsIV

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2010
No, it's a Tbolt 3 hub, not just a USB-C one — hence the feature many may want, is both HDMI and Tbolt 3 displays via the one dock.

Granted the HDMI at 4K is limited to 30Hz regardless (though 1080p is 60Hz, and likely 1440p at 60Hz too – though of course they don't clarify what 1440p would do!), but still, one also gets Tbolt 3 5K at 60Hz at the same time.

From a MBP, this may mean running 2x LG 5K's at 60Hz, another HDTV at 60Hz, and the MBP's screen, all at the same time (the other LG 5K from the other side of the MBP, of course).

Incidentally, the USB-A's & C's all run at 5Gbps, and not 10Gbps (that gen-2 C's can offer), though that's to have enough bandwidth for all the remaining (non-display) ports, I'd think.
I really hope this adapter gets produced. Has a lot of funding. I supported it for the $69 option since I was a little late to the party. This would be the perfect hub, and then when I get a 5K monitor I can throw those little USB-C to USB-A adapters that are a few bucks on.

comptr

macrumors 68000
Oct 25, 2007
Arizona
So it seems the Apple Multi port Digital A/V adaptor is the only adaptor that can pass through the 87watt for the 15" MacBook Pro.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.