Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

udontno

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2011
VA, USA
I need a dongle (or two) for my new MBP 15". I basically need to be able to hookup an external hard drive (USB port) and a place to put my SD card. I'm reading reviews on Amazon and I'm overwhelmed as there are a lot of options with bad reviews. Does anyone have any suggestions for a hub that would fulfill both of those needs?

OUsooner08

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2016
I need a dongle (or two) for my new MBP 15". I basically need to be able to hookup an external hard drive (USB port) and a place to put my SD card. I'm reading reviews on Amazon and I'm overwhelmed as there are a lot of options with bad reviews. Does anyone have any suggestions for a hub that would fulfill both of those needs?

Hypershop.com

dyn

macrumors 68030
Aug 8, 2009
.nl
Buy a USB-C cable for the disk and one of the USB-C SD card readers. The SD card reader Apple is selling seems to be working fine. Using a dock or multiport adapter (a hub is something quite different) is a complete overkill here.

killawat

macrumors 68000
Sep 11, 2014

I have this one: https://www.amazon.com/Accell-USB-C-USB-3-0-Hub/dp/B01LDUR0NA/ Though you'll need a separate card reader.

No its not cheap but I'm using it in the exact configuration you describe (SD Card Reader + USB 3.0 3 TB Drive) and it works flawlessly. Many non powered USB hubs would have trouble with this configuration, and the USB drive would drop out constantly.

OUsooner08

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2016
I was looking at this on Amazon, but it has really crap reviews. I take it your experience has been positive since you are recommending. I will look into one by HyperDrive.

I have one for my wife's MacBook, and one for my Pro, both from Hyperdrive with ZERO issues!

udontno

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2011
VA, USA
Buy a USB-C cable for the disk and one of the USB-C SD card readers. The SD card reader Apple is selling seems to be working fine. Using a dock or multiport adapter (a hub is something quite different) is a complete overkill here.
Probably would be overkill, but only one thing to keep up with which is why I was thinking to go that route.

I also haven't done enough digging to know if I would come out cheaper just buying adapters separately vs. buying one multiport thing.

I have this one: https://www.amazon.com/Accell-USB-C-USB-3-0-Hub/dp/B01LDUR0NA/ Though you'll need a separate card reader.

No its not cheap but I'm using it in the exact configuration you describe (SD Card Reader + USB 3.0 3 TB Drive) and it works flawlessly. Many non powered USB hubs would have trouble with this configuration, and the USB drive would drop out constantly.
That's another option, but I think I'm going to try to go the route of one with a combo device
I have one for my wife's MacBook, and one for my Pro, both from Hyperdrive with ZERO issues!
Good deal. I will likely end up getting that unless someone else gives me a crazy cool option before I get back home to order.

scottydawg

macrumors 6502
Jan 22, 2008
Sacramento, CA
Reactions: SackJabbit

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
i love my hyperdrive. I did the pre order and got it 3 weeks ago. Id order one and use what you have now. one month wait isn't bad. Get a temp solution in the meantime.

udontno

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2011
VA, USA
i love my hyperdrive. I did the pre order and got it 3 weeks ago. Id order one and use what you have now. one month wait isn't bad. Get a temp solution in the meantime.
I just decided to order it. Hopefully it will come soon, as I doubt I will invest in a temp solution. I've already broke the bank, so no need to get something that I won't use in a few weeks.

Reactions: x-evil-x

joevt

Contributor
Jun 21, 2012
Yes, but you buy a 2-3m USB-C - HDMI cable or buy an adapter. 20 bucks or so on Amazon.
USB-C to HDMI cable uses USB-C's HDMI Alternate Mode, limited to HDMI 1.4b. For HDMI 2.0, you need an active adapter.

udontno

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2011
VA, USA
I just decided to order it. Hopefully it will come soon, as I doubt I will invest in a temp solution. I've already broke the bank, so no need to get something that I won't use in a few weeks.
If y'all remember, I ordered the Hyperdrive from the Kickstarter campaign. You had to go through IndieGoGo to place the order. I ordered April 24th. It is May 17th and we were told to expect a May delivery. I checked the web page to see if there was any updates and nothing... But a lot of comments from people who had ordered around the same time I did, asking for an update. After seeing a comment where someone said they got an email from Best Buy advertising that exact product for sale at Best Buy, I decided to comment as well. That was last night. Today I got an email with tracking information. The package is coming from Hong Kong, so they said it could take two weeks.

scott_donald

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2016
Just bought the Lacie thunderbolt rugged raid drive.

Have a 2016 MacBook Pro.

Need advice on what adapter to get... smaller the better as this is my portable drive for video editing on the go....

So far the apple one seems the best bet....

Sinochick

macrumors member
Sep 4, 2010
Vancouver, BC
If y'all remember, I ordered the Hyperdrive from the Kickstarter campaign. You had to go through IndieGoGo to place the order. I ordered April 24th. It is May 17th and we were told to expect a May delivery. I checked the web page to see if there was any updates and nothing... But a lot of comments from people who had ordered around the same time I did, asking for an update. After seeing a comment where someone said they got an email from Best Buy advertising that exact product for sale at Best Buy, I decided to comment as well. That was last night. Today I got an email with tracking information. The package is coming from Hong Kong, so they said it could take two weeks.

I just bought the Hyperdrive from Best Buy a few days ago....tried it today with my new MBP w TB and......it didn't work! I have no idea if I wasn't doing something I needed to do. I basically just plug it in the 2 ports?

udontno

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2011
VA, USA
I just bought the Hyperdrive from Best Buy a few days ago....tried it today with my new MBP w TB and......it didn't work! I have no idea if I wasn't doing something I needed to do. I basically just plug it in the 2 ports?
I got mine like a week or so ago. The postal service didn't put it on my porch but instead I had to go and get it from the post office. Which annoyed me as I paid to have it come to my house, not to have to go fetch it during my lunch hour.

I plugged it in and was able to use one of the USB ports. Both of the pieces need to be plugged in. I had to like push it in and make sure it was in good. The house I am renting lacks a lot of space so most of my computing is done on my bed or a couch. Definitely wanna use this at a table since it seems it didn't like me moving around and shifting positions.

I wish I had something to plug in all the ports to ensure they work. Haven't had too much time to play with it. Of course it didn't come before my summer class started.

drill423

macrumors member
Apr 5, 2009
Houston
Any of you with the hyperdrive having issues with the USB ports not recognizing anything after the computer has been sleeping? Half the time, the hyperdrive doesn't recognize either my printer or external hard drives, but these devices are recognized by other computers. Sadly disappointed with this product. I've contacted customer support but their responses have been highly disappointing thus far. I'm using the 2017 MacBook Pro, 15 inch.

udontno

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2011
VA, USA
Any of you with the hyperdrive having issues with the USB ports not recognizing anything after the computer has been sleeping? Half the time, the hyperdrive doesn't recognize either my printer or external hard drives, but these devices are recognized by other computers. Sadly disappointed with this product. I've contacted customer support but their responses have been highly disappointing thus far. I'm using the 2017 MacBook Pro, 15 inch.
Actually, I have this problem too. Another thing I noticed--when I put the hyperdrive on the left side of the computer it is even with the computer body. I hope that makes sense. When on the right side the hyper drive is not even with the computer body. It does feel more securely in on the right side, but I hate that it isn't flush with the computer. Is that normal? I really ought to write them myself. Doubt I will get anything out of it.

drill423

macrumors member
Apr 5, 2009
Houston
Actually, I have this problem too. Another thing I noticed--when I put the hyperdrive on the left side of the computer it is even with the computer body. I hope that makes sense. When on the right side the hyper drive is not even with the computer body. It does feel more securely in on the right side, but I hate that it isn't flush with the computer. Is that normal? I really ought to write them myself. Doubt I will get anything out of it.

It's not flush on the right for me, either. Customer service is replacing mine. Worth contacting them. Sometimes the hyperdrive works, sometimes it doesn't. Even using. USBC to USB dongle in the USBC slot doesn't work like they mentioned it would. Maybe mine is just defective.

udontno

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2011
VA, USA
It's not flush on the right for me, either. Customer service is replacing mine. Worth contacting them. Sometimes the hyperdrive works, sometimes it doesn't. Even using. USBC to USB dongle in the USBC slot doesn't work like they mentioned it would. Maybe mine is just defective.
I will get in touch with them. I had a terrible experience with the indiegogo. No updates, behind schedule, lots of complaints online, and it was available in stores before I got mine. So I am not hopeful.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.