Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Amindunraveled

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2017
Hey everyone, I just purchased a new 2017 macbook pro non-touch an i have two LG external monitors i want to connect the macbook pro too and also be able to have it run in extended mode. Can anyone point me in the right direction of cables or dongles I need to buy to make this happen. The only ports on the monitors are hdmi. Thank you in advance.

narin

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2006
Looking for a hub that can provide passthrough charging, at least 2 USB A ports, and ability to connect to a 4k display at 60hz (via HDMI, mDP, or USB-C). Most I have found only support up to 30hz, or do not allow for pass through charging and connection to the display at the same time. Ideally this isn't one of those $200+ thunderbolt docks. Does such a device exist? Thanks in advance!

joevt

Contributor
Jun 21, 2012
Looking for a hub that can provide passthrough charging, at least 2 USB A ports, and ability to connect to a 4k display at 60hz (via HDMI, mDP, or USB-C). Most I have found only support up to 30hz, or do not allow for pass through charging and connection to the display at the same time. Ideally this isn't one of those $200+ thunderbolt docks. Does such a device exist? Thanks in advance!
You need a Thunderbolt dock.

A USB-C dock is limited to 4K@30Hz because two lanes of the USB-C port are used for USB transmit and receive. The other two lanes are for DisplayPort 1.2 transmit. A 4K@60Hz display requires all 4 lanes for DisplayPort 1.2.

MBPnoob

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2010
So, I've bought my first Macbook Pro in a long time, thanks to tax free weekend and a couple of stacking edu coupons...

In any case, I severely underestimated my need for dongles... Just off the top of my head:

- USB for my favorite mechanical keyboard
- USB for my favorite ergo mouse
- USB for my headset
- 10/100/1000 ethernet as our campus wifi is simply terrible
- HDMI to a 1080p monitor (preferable 4K compatible for when I get one)
- Charge passthrough

Just doing a quick look on Amazon, it looks like there are a few options, but none of which seem to hit ALL of the wishlist items.

joevt

Contributor
Jun 21, 2012
So, I've bought my first Macbook Pro in a long time, thanks to tax free weekend and a couple of stacking edu coupons...

In any case, I severely underestimated my need for dongles... Just off the top of my head:

- USB for my favorite mechanical keyboard
- USB for my favorite ergo mouse
- USB for my headset
- 10/100/1000 ethernet as our campus wifi is simply terrible
- HDMI to a 1080p monitor (preferable 4K compatible for when I get one)
- Charge passthrough

Just doing a quick look on Amazon, it looks like there are a few options, but none of which seem to hit ALL of the wishlist items.
Google the following "ethernet HDMI USB usb-c". You'll find more products than going through Amazon. If you're keyboard or display has a USB port or two, then you can plug your mouse and/or headset into that and use a device with fewer USB ports. You could get a USB-C dock, but if you have Thunderbolt 3, then a Thunderbolt 3 dock would have more capabilities (4K@60 Hz instead of just 4K@30 Hz, and one USB 3.1 gen 2 port, instead of just USB 3.1 gen 1 ports).

dyn

macrumors 68030
Aug 8, 2009
.nl
Why haven't you been using a docking station? Those are meant for connecting all that stuff in 1 go to whatever notebook you have. I had a setup like that and the TB2-TB3 dongle was the only one I needed to get all that stuff working again.

ledamon

macrumors newbie
Aug 15, 2017
I just bought the new MacBook Pro with the touch bar. I've been looking at a hub and it seems like the most popular ones are the satechi and the hyperdrive. Especially the satechi seems to have tons of poor reviews reporting issues of dropping connections and poor performance. I just want to be able to a) charge my iPhone and b) occasionally use hdmi. What is the best option for me?
[doublepost=1502827846][/doublepost]
I just bought the new MacBook Pro with the touch bar. I've been looking at a hub and it seems like the most popular ones are the satechi and the hyperdrive. Especially the satechi seems to have tons of poor reviews reporting issues of dropping connections and poor performance. I just want to be able to a) charge my iPhone and b) occasionally use hdmi. What is the best option for me?

I'm leaning towards the Satechi now, this one:
https://satechi.net/collections/usb...eader-and-2-usb-3-0-ports?variant=34900214729

Would love to hera objections if people have had bad experiences with this one, before i buy one

PortableLover

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2012
england
Hi guys, any good ethernet gigabit adaptors out there? Seen a few on amazon but would like some advice. Will connect directly to a gigabit NAS.

zeebo1

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2017
I feel like this should have a straightforward answer, but I haven't find it.

What cable/dongle/adapter will work with displayport to usb-c at 4k/60fps?

Sovon Halder

macrumors 6502a
Dec 3, 2016
India
Juiced Systems BizHUB : https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01JD9GN6I/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Having the following issue on my MBP 2017 TB 13" (High Sierra). If I disconnect the charging cable from the pass through usb-c charging port, all the other devices connected that that time (a thumb drive, a SD card), they disconnect and connect - macOS sends a notification that 'devices not ejected properly'.

Similar thing happens if for disconnecting a 512G self powered external HDD also.

I've tried checking the above by connecting the dongle on both the left and right side of the laptop.

Anybody else experiencing this ?

djnigelchung

macrumors member
Jun 20, 2015
Silicon Valley
Been looking for a few months, can't find a solution. Hoping you guys can help me out.
I'm looking for an all-in-one device.. Needs 4k 60 through HDMI, 3 USB ports, SD card slot.. I cannot find a dongle that will give me 4k@60, plenty of 4k@30 but I've tried that and it's a pain. I guess I shouldn't have gotten a 4K TV to use as my monitor, but here I am.

If I am unable to find a single solution, I'll have to get a USB-C to HDMI 2.0 adaptor, and then a USB-C to USB 3.0 and SD card slot adaptor.. still wouldn't be too bad having two things plugged in (power going through the second dongle hopefully)

Thanks to anyone that can help!

Edit: would like to add, I also use Windows (through Bootcamp) quite a bit, so the 4k60 would need to work in both environments.

joevt

Contributor
Jun 21, 2012
What cable/dongle/adapter will work with displayport to usb-c at 4k/60fps?
You could try a USB-C to DisplayPort cable. I think they can work in reverse as DisplayPort to USB-C (if the USB-C connector of the other device is female). If you have a computer that doesn't have USB-C, and you want to connect a display that uses USB-C with DisplayPort alt mode, then you could use a PCIe card that includes a USB controller, a DisplayPort input, and a USB-C output, such as the SUNIX UPD2018, or Delock 89582. A Thunderbolt add-in card can also be used such as the GC-ALPINE RIDGE which can not only convert DisplayPort to USB-C with DisplayPort alt mode, but can also convert DisplayPort and dual DisplayPort to Thunderbolt and has two USB-C outputs. The cards don't need to be connected to your computer to allow DisplayPort conversion, but they need power from a PCIe slot. You can use an enclosure like the "ADP-099-31" for that.

I'm looking for an all-in-one device.. Needs 4k 60 through HDMI, 3 USB ports, SD card slot.. I cannot find a dongle that will give me 4k@60, plenty of 4k@30 but I've tried that and it's a pain. I guess I shouldn't have gotten a 4K TV to use as my monitor, but here I am.

If I am unable to find a single solution, I'll have to get a USB-C to HDMI 2.0 adaptor, and then a USB-C to USB 3.0 and SD card slot adaptor.. still wouldn't be too bad having two things plugged in (power going through the second dongle hopefully)

Thanks to anyone that can help!

Edit: would like to add, I also use Windows (through Bootcamp) quite a bit, so the 4k60 would need to work in both environments.
You need a Thunderbolt 3 dock to allow both 4K @ 60 Hz and USB 3.0 gen 1 ports (see #838 above). They usually also provide a single USB 3.1 gen 2 port if it's the last Thunderbolt device in the chain. Your computer must support Thunderbolt to use any of the non-display ports.

joevt

Contributor
Jun 21, 2012
Does this need to be plugged directly into the laptop? Or can it be passed through another usb c hub (that has other ports on it? ie usb a, Ethernet, SD, 2 usbc ports; one for charging, one for this)
It has to be connected directly to the laptop, because it requires all 4 super speed lanes for DisplayPort 1.2 4K@60Hz.

USB hubs don't allow 4K@60Hz unless they use DisplayLink hardware and drivers. USB-C has 4 super speed lanes. DisplayPort 1.2 uses all 4 lanes for 4K@60Hz. USB requires 2 lanes (one for receive and one for transmit), leaving only two for DisplayPort 1.2 which would allow only 4K@30Hz. USB-C is supposed to support DisplayPort 1.4 which could allow 4K@60Hz using only two lanes, but the Thunderbolt 3 implementation of DisplayPort alt mode on USB-C only allows DisplayPort 1.2 currently, and there are no (or few?) displays or hubs that support DisplayPort 1.4.

A Thunderbolt 3 dock is the best(/only?) solution, unless you go with multiple dongles.

engseng

macrumors newbie
Sep 15, 2016
Malaysia
Why doesn't Apple make its own USB-C to Gigabit Ethernet adapter? The one that they are selling is from Belkin... They could make their own Thunderbolt 2 to Gigabit Ethernet adapter before, why not this one?

shareef777

Suspended
Jul 26, 2005
Chicago, IL
Why doesn't Apple make its own USB-C to Gigabit Ethernet adapter? The one that they are selling is from Belkin... They could make their own Thunderbolt 2 to Gigabit Ethernet adapter before, why not this one?

It’s the same reason they didn’t come up with a TB1 to Ethernet adapter. When they released TB1, Ethernet was still available on their devices. When they went to the retina and added TB2, they also removed Ethernet (a first for a major product line). They needed to provide an Ethernet solution as it wasn’t widely available. Now USB (A and C) to Ethernet adapters are widely available. No need for them to provide a solution that already exists.

joevt

Contributor
Jun 21, 2012
Might as well ask why Belkin doesn't make it's own Thunderbolt to Ethernet adapter. The answers might be very similar.

It’s the same reason they didn’t come up with a TB1 to Ethernet adapter. When they released TB1, Ethernet was still available on their devices. When they went to the retina and added TB2, they also removed Ethernet (a first for a major product line). They needed to provide an Ethernet solution as it wasn’t widely available. Now USB (A and C) to Ethernet adapters are widely available. No need for them to provide a solution that already exists.
But Apple does make a TB1 to Ethernet adapter.
https://www.apple.com/ca/shop/product/MD463LL/A/thunderbolt-to-gigabit-ethernet-adapter

Apple's Thunderbolt to Gigabit Ethernet and Thunderbolt to FireWire adapters both use a Thunderbolt 1 chip (Port Ridge, DSL2210). Anyway, you can use Thunderbolt 1,2,3 devices with Thunderbolt 1,2,3 computers no problem (Thunderbolt 1 or 2 to/from Thunderbolt 3 requires an adapter).

I guess you meant that they didn't make the TB to Ethernet adapter until after they removed Ethernet?

shareef777

Suspended
Jul 26, 2005
Chicago, IL
Might as well ask why Belkin doesn't make it's own Thunderbolt to Ethernet adapter. The answers might be very similar.

But Apple does make a TB1 to Ethernet adapter.
https://www.apple.com/ca/shop/product/MD463LL/A/thunderbolt-to-gigabit-ethernet-adapter

Apple's Thunderbolt to Gigabit Ethernet and Thunderbolt to FireWire adapters both use a Thunderbolt 1 chip (Port Ridge, DSL2210). Anyway, you can use Thunderbolt 1,2,3 devices with Thunderbolt 1,2,3 computers no problem (Thunderbolt 1 or 2 to/from Thunderbolt 3 requires an adapter).

I guess you meant that they didn't make the TB to Ethernet adapter until after they removed Ethernet?

Yes, meant why they didn't come up with that adapter when TB was initially introduced. They knew they couldn't sell those as every TB computer already had an ethernet adapter built in. Once there were TB computers without ethernet, they made it available. For the same reason, they didn't make a USB-C to ethernet adapter. They knew that there's plenty of other manufacturers (and generic ones) that will undercut their prices that they simply wouldn't sell money. In addition, the industry is moving away from ethernet (going wireless) so that would mean even lower sales then back in 2012 when the first non-ethernet Macs were sold.

4RunnerHeaven

Suspended
Nov 24, 2017
[doublepost=1502827846][/doublepost]

I'm leaning towards the Satechi now, this one:
https://satechi.net/collections/usb...eader-and-2-usb-3-0-ports?variant=34900214729

Would love to hera objections if people have had bad experiences with this one, before i buy one

I have this one and so far it has been great. No issues with fast transfer speeds. I wish these types of ones had an ethernet jack on them though. My only complaints. It is made out of real aluminum and it matches my MBP perfectly.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0753J8LR4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
o7X9ol0AQy6vjvCnNEmuyQ.jpg

5QYK9Im6RhivtX3BNZFlXg.jpg

casperghst42

macrumors regular
Jan 11, 2006

It was only with the refresh of the rMPB mid/late 2013 where they added TB2 - my rMBP from early 2013 is still TB1 (sadly).

shareef777

Suspended
Jul 26, 2005
Chicago, IL
It was only with the refresh of the rMPB mid/late 2013 where they added TB2 - my rMBP from early 2013 is still TB1 (sadly).

The point was that then TB originally came out there was no need for a TB to ethernet dongle as the laptops already had ethernet. Then the retina Macs came out in 2012 and they removed the ethernet port necessitating the ethernet dongle.

carestudio

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2008
A Thunderbolt 3 dock is the best(/only?) solution, unless you go with multiple dongles.
[/QUOTE]

YES, it is. Thunderbolt 3 dock is better in terms of native monitors handling and support without software driver installed. The Caldigit's thunderbolt 3 dock so far works perfectly with two 4K60Hz monitors, Dell and LG's. Other thunderbolt 3 docks I have tried were either having intermittent flickering or black out. I ended up returning all of them and keep Caldigit's one since it work very well with my setup.

4RunnerHeaven

Suspended
Nov 24, 2017
YES, it is. Thunderbolt 3 dock is better in terms of native monitors handling and support without software driver installed. The Caldigit's thunderbolt 3 dock so far works perfectly with two 4K60Hz monitors, Dell and LG's. Other thunderbolt 3 docks I have tried were either having intermittent flickering or black out. I ended up returning all of them and keep Caldigit's one since it work very well with my setup.

Agreed. I also use the Caldigit TS3 when home hooked up to my Dell 3415W Monitor, and it's awesome. I had the Elgato TB3 dock before it, and I had issues with it.

lWRt9GLgQ665sCITwcTwHg.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.