Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aevan

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2015
Serbia
These passages right here are what so many people miss or choose to ignore in the great Mac vs. Windows vs. Linux vs. BSD debate.

True, I'm looking more at Linux as I don't care for Apple's direction and would prefer an alternative to W10 off the mainstream as I can see the value a differing OS can bring.

Q-6

I agree with personal choice, 100%. However, I would argue that most of Apple critics here seem to believe PCs are objectively better for everyone. @Queen6 does not go around saying how Apple no longer meets his specific needs (perfectly fine viewpoint to have) - he says Apple abandoned most users and now only cares about the brand. This doesn't seem like "personal choice" to me - it seems he's projecting his personal taste and requirements to what he believes is objective reality. Since I couldn't disagree more with him, I either live in some serious denial - or all this is, in fact a matter of personal opinion, as you said (and which I agree with).

Also - both systems have advantages and disadvantages. Your personal choice comes down what advantages you value more, what disadvantages you don't mind. But stating these advantages/disadvantages can be very objective. PC has an objective advantage with multiple price ranges, hardware variety, performance per dollar, different form factors, etc. Nothing subjective or personal about that - that's just how it is. So, when I say macOS is better in terms of maintenance than Windows - that's not subjective, that's just how it is (and that is the topic of this thread). However, that didn't stop some people here to act as if this is not true, or even blaming user error and mentioning some silly notions of hand-holding.

It's like me saying that a car that often breaks down is a car that doesn't use hand-holding and requires you to know how engines work.

Last edited:

Queen6

macrumors G4
I agree with personal choice, 100%. However, I would argue that most of Apple critics here seem to believe PCs are objectively better for everyone. @Queen6 does not go around saying how Apple no longer meets his specific needs (perfectly fine viewpoint to have) - he says Apple abandoned most users and now only cares about the brand. This doesn't seem like "personal choice" to me - it seems he's projecting his personal taste and requirements to what he believes is objective reality. Since I couldn't disagree more with him, I either live in some serious denial - or all this is, in fact a matter of personal opinion, as you said (and which I agree with).

Also - both systems have advantages and disadvantages. Your personal choice comes down what advantages you value more, what disadvantages you don't mind. But stating these advantages/disadvantages can be very objective. PC has an objective advantage with multiple price ranges, hardware variety, performance per dollar, different form factors, etc. Nothing subjective or personal about that - this is just how it is. So, when I say macOS is better in terms of maintenance than Windows - that's not subjective, that's just how it is (and that is the topic of this thread). However, that didn't stop some people here to act as if this is not true, or even blaming user error and mentioning some silly notions of hand-holding.

It's like me saying that a car that often breaks down is a car that doesn't use hand-holding and requires you to know how engines work.

Franky it's just differing opinions; from my perspective that's exactly what's happened, as I've repeatedly stated I've seen more and more drop the platform for varying reasons from the software support to shoddy hardware design and that's not subjective. People who depend on their hardware for a living don't switch platforms for the hell of it, they do so for considered reasons and tire of excuses rapidly.

Above all else I still own & use Mac's, just not employed professionally they rarely have issue, the same applies to the W10 systems which are infinitely more complex on the SW side (installations). Like it, or loath it Apple is now far more invested in IOS devices and services. The Mac is IMHO something Apple would like to move away from and may well do so with the implementation of ARM CPU's as that will present Apple with the perfect catalyst.

As for maintenance, what maintenance? I don't spend my time digging through the system. W10 gets on with that in the background and has done so for some time. Only thing I do is run periodic malware scans exactly the same I do on Mac's as they too are vulnerable. So what are you talking about?

As for your analogy, if your going to drive a car, you need to have some understanding of how to drive in the first place? The perception that Apple is always better is just old, as it no longer fits. Mac's can and do work great in some realms, equally Apple has progressively shuttered the Mac with both positive and negative results, and dropped the ball repeatedly on the hardware side.

Nor is OS X impervious to uneducated user, my old recently returned 2011 15" MBP was considered dead, in actuality it was the endless rubbish installed by multiple users that was the issue. Removal and cleaning up and it's back on the desk updated to 10.13 and runs great, well as good as a stock 2011 can do. Same for one of the ThinkPad's that also came back home to roost, cleaned up, updated and a good enough standby if someone needs.

The advantage for me in W10 now is Pen & Touch support with a full desktop OS in the smaller formats, and the performance of the larger notebooks. Apple's affliction for opting for overly powerful CPU's with inadequate cooling was bad 10 years ago, laughable in 2020. Apple once used to under promised and frequently over delivered, today same as the rest big spec's for the sake of sales & marketing purpose yet fails to live up to the hype...

I may have an advantage as all my computers are under my control, equally they only run the same OS as everyone else's...

Q-6

Last edited:

GalileoSeven

macrumors 6502a
Jan 3, 2015
Als - both systems have advantages and disadvantages. Your personal choice comes down what advantages you value more, what disadvantages you don't mind. But stating these advantages/disadvantages can be very objective. PC has an objective advantage with multiple price ranges, hardware variety, performance per dollar, different form factors, etc. Nothing subjective or personal about that - that's just how it is. So, when I say macOS is better in terms of maintenance than Windows - that's not subjective, that's just how it is (and that is the topic of this thread). However, that didn't stop some people here to act as if this is not true, or even blaming user error and mentioning some silly notions of hand-holding.

This is what I meant by hand-holding (Apple blocking you/the programs you use from installing garbage/garbage drivers and thus, bogging down your system while MS/Windows leaves that almost entirely up to the end user for the most part)

Yeah. The big problem with windows vs. macOS is also its biggest strength - the "open-ness" to third party software. On the plus side, you get more software. On the negative side, a lot of it is garbage, and unfortunately a lot of the garbage is also found in drivers for cheap hardware.

So many Windows stability problems aren't actually Microsoft's fault directly - but caused by absolute total garbage drivers from third parties. I actually feel for microsoft a bit on this, they cop the blame for almost all of it.

Apple isn't totally immune to this, as there's a lot of garbage drivers that have come out of intel in recent years, but in general apple's QA on drivers, and now restrictions via digital signature enforcement on what gets loaded into the kernel definitely help.

Reactions: Nightfury326

Queen6

macrumors G4
Yeah, Microsoft is in the rotten position where it opened everything up, which made them big but vulnerable. And now they can't close it down anymore, even if they wanted too. I'm actually quite impressed by how much they were able to do with small(-ish) steps, like their own AV and regular updates. Those two by themselves solve most of regular users' problems. When my main machine was still Windows, I moved all my data to a separate partition/disk. It allowed me to format and reinstall Windows from scratch every so often, which cleared up both the unwanted "free installs" that came with legit software, as well as remnants from programs I didn't use anymore, as well as lots of other Windows garbage that remained.

Looking at the bigger picture I think MS is doing a reasonably decent job with W10 given the imense footprint for the OS. Apple simply disappoints as it has literally all the eggs in the basket, yet continues to miss step and excuse itself...

One of the best things I did was buy into these gaming notebooks as they may not be works of art, however they certainly perform. Dual drives is one of those things that you don't know until you try, then you'll never want a single drive system again. Just makes life so much easier, I just wipe them and re-roll as a workstation, and kids are happy as they both have powerful gaming solutions when I swap out after a couple of years ?

I even replicate to some extents with my 8.5" UMPC 2in1 with a 500Gb microSD Card, being eminently more practical, with literally 1TB in the hand

W10 just turn on Storage Sense and let it get on with it, I configured to 30 days, equally when working I tend to push a lot to data through the system.

Q-6

Queen6

macrumors G4
This is what I meant by hand-holding (Apple blocking you/the programs you use from installing garbage/garbage drivers and thus, bogging down your system while MS/Windows leaves that almost entirely up to the end user for the most part)

You mean like this;
1586884993969.png

It's simply down to the user and their knowledge on both OS. The difference being the control is generally more granular with W10 and the user needs to think before acting.

Microsoft's problem is if they opted for the safest option, they would be immediately castigated for doing so. Apple is far smarter and puts a security spin on it, and of course store profits don't hurt either. As can be seen if unsure you can opt for the safer approach in W10 same as macOS.

n.b. My systems are on W10 Pro, so I don't know if W10 Home differs or has other defaults, nor can remember if I changed the setting. To me the Home edition should default to the safest option with a path to the users choice.

Q-6

Last edited:

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
You mean like this;
View attachment 905848
It's simply down to the user and their knowledge on both OS. The difference being the control is generally more granular with W10 and the user needs to think before acting.

Microsoft's problem is if they opted for the safest option, they would be immediately castigated for doing so. Apple is far smarter and puts a security spin on it, and of course store profits don't hurt either. As can be seen if unsure you can opt for the safer approach in W10 same as macOS.

n.b. My systems are on W10 Pro, so I don't know if W10 Home differs or has other defaults, nor can remember if I changed. To me the Home edition should default to the safest option with a path to the users choice.

Q-6
One caveat to this, however, is I believe Microsoft Store apps have to be written with a specific API or something like that. Or perhaps it was like that and is no longer? I don't recall. But I think that's why apps like Steam aren't on the MS Store. Unfortunately, it leads to a lot of garbage on the store, too, to fill the void of useful stuff.

Reactions: Queen6

Queen6

macrumors G4
One caveat to this, however, is I believe Microsoft Store apps have to be written with a specific API or something like that. Or perhaps it was like that and is no longer? I don't recall. But I think that's why apps like Steam aren't on the MS Store. Unfortunately, it leads to a lot of garbage on the store, too, to fill the void of useful stuff.

TBH I don't know as I tend to make my own choices outside of the Store. I to do my research and decide accordingly. As ever trust the developer not the application...

Tend to agree a lot of garbage on both the MS & Apple Store for the desktop OS. IOS I don't know and Android I don't care as haven't bought or looked at anything in years, less is more with that one...

"IF" Apple produced a smaller iPhone with great battery life I'd give it another shot, however I don't want to carry a small tablet with limited usage around. 24/7. Better to link my UMPC to a phone or a MIFI, get the full fat and not suffer the BS.

Q-6

Last edited:

Aika

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2006
I have never felt restricted by OS X, I can't understand people who say that. The Terminal is powerful, and I don't consider Apple doing away with third party Kernel extensions (or the introduction of SIP) to be a terrible thing given I've had issues with peripherals installing them and crashing my computer on boot. If Microsoft restricted drivers or locked down the registry I would be fine with that too. I've had enough grief for one lifetime with third parties fiddling with the Kernel, ramming in start-up processes, or messing with system files: lock it all down.

Restricted by the hardware and being beholden to Apple's questionable Mac refresh cycles, sure, but never by the OS.

Reactions: PeterJP and Queen6

Queen6

macrumors G4
I have never felt restricted by OS X, I can't understand people who say that. The Terminal is powerful, and I don't consider Apple doing away with third party Kernel extensions (or the introduction of SIP) to be a terrible thing given I've had issues with peripherals installing them and crashing my computer on boot. If Microsoft restricted drivers or locked down the registry I would be fine with that too. I've had enough grief for one lifetime with third parties fiddling with the Kernel, ramming in start-up processes, or messing with system files: lock it all down.

Restricted by the hardware and being beholden to Apple's questionable Mac refresh cycles, sure, but never by the OS.

It's not, equally is frustrating how Apple deals and removes from the GUI, which goes to against simplicity as the average user is not going to be resorting to Terminal by any means.

For the educated user Terminal is a blessing as it offers full control, equally knowledge is required; recently after an OS upgrade to 10.13 the Store failed to run, without explicit knowledge of OS X and Terminal this would have been a dead end. Previously a click on the Network "Assist Me" would clear the issue as it would clear the relevant cache files.

Personally I advocate completely separating the OS from the applications, sooner the better.

Q-6

Reactions: Aika

c0ppo

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2013
The Terminal is powerful, and I don't consider Apple doing away with third party Kernel extensions (or the introduction of SIP) to be a terrible thing given I've had issues with peripherals installing them and crashing my computer on boot.

Average user doesn't know what kernel, SIP, or similar even mean.

When I'm on mac, first thing I do is csrutil disable;reboot
Why?

TotalFinder. It makes Finder 1000000x times better. And then Finder is actually useful to me. Best file browser on any OS with totalfinder or xtrafinder installed. Without those extensions, it just becomes another file explorer. Of course, this is just my subjective view on the matter.

And those aren't kernel extensions. Kernel has nothing to do with this. Those are scripts that are injected to give additional functionality to Finder in this scenario.

Now, if something is causing your computer to crash, hunt it down, file a bug report, and uninstall it. Personally I use just this extension for finder + bartender app. Both are trusted, and never caused a crash in my case. I remove both before doing major OS upgrade, because major OS upgrade will cause them to misbehave.

In that case I simply wait for the newer versions, or if the old one works, reinstall that version.
Never had any issues or crashes doing this, and I have done this for a long, long time.

Reactions: PeterJP and Queen6

Aika

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2006
It's not, equally is frustrating how Apple deals and removes from the GUI, which goes to against simplicity as the average user is not going to be resorting to Terminal by any means.

For the educated user Terminal is a blessing as it offers full control, equally knowledge is required; recently after an OS upgrade to 10.13 the Store failed to run, without explicit knowledge of OS X and Terminal this would have been a dead end. Previously a click on the Network "Assist Me" would clear the issue as it would clear the relevant cache files.

It can be annoying but I have had to fix things using the Windows command line too, I just accept it's always going to necessary for some things on a desktop OS. Recently I put in a new SSD into my MacBook Air and attempts to format it using Disk Utility before installing a fresh macOS install kept failing. I had to rebuild the partition table using a Terminal command and only then could I format it with APFS. Now it's pretty absurd that I couldn't do this from the Disk Utility GUI but at least it's possible and the average user isn't cracking open laptops anyway ;)

Personally I advocate completely separating the OS from the applications, sooner the better.

Absolutely!
[automerge]1586897335[/automerge]
Average user doesn't know what kernel, SIP, or similar even mean.

When I'm on mac, first thing I do is csrutil disable;reboot
Why?

TotalFinder. It makes Finder 1000000x times better. And then Finder is actually useful to me. Best file browser on any OS with totalfinder or xtrafinder installed. Without those extensions, it just becomes another file explorer. Of course, this is just my subjective view on the matter.

And those aren't kernel extensions. Kernel has nothing to do with this. Those are scripts that are injected to give additional functionality to Finder in this scenario.

Now, if something is causing your computer to crash, hunt it down, file a bug report, and uninstall it. Personally I use just this extension for finder + bartender app. Both are trusted, and never caused a crash in my case. I remove both before doing major OS upgrade, because major OS upgrade will cause them to misbehave.

In that case I simply wait for the newer versions, or if the old one works, reinstall that version.
Never had any issues or crashes doing this, and I have done this for a long, long time.

TotalFinder! Now there's a name I haven't heard in a long time. I loved that back in the Snow Leopard days.

It's a pity I can't use it anymore but I used it mostly for the Finder tabs so I'd never turn off SIP for it.

Queen6

macrumors G4
It can be annoying but I have had to fix things using the Windows command line too, I just accept it's always going to necessary for some things on a desktop OS. Recently I put in a new SSD into my MacBook Air and attempts to format it using Disk Utility before installing a fresh macOS install kept failing. I had to rebuild the partition table using a Terminal command and only then could I format it with APFS. Now it's pretty absurd that I couldn't do this from the Disk Utility GUI but at least it's possible and the average user isn't cracking open laptops anyway

We are very likely enthusiasts here, with extended knowledge and greater demands. Average user will be stuck or reinstalling the OS, potentially with no solution on older hardware. macOS newer versions of Disk Utility is poor, removal for the sake of removal, dumbing it down if you will. The trend will continue as Apple wants to exert ever more control and the IOS model...

Q-6

Queen6

macrumors G4
It can be annoying but I have had to fix things using the Windows command line too, I just accept it's always going to necessary for some things on a desktop OS. Recently I put in a new SSD into my MacBook Air and attempts to format it using Disk Utility before installing a fresh macOS install kept failing. I had to rebuild the partition table using a Terminal command and only then could I format it with APFS. Now it's pretty absurd that I couldn't do this from the Disk Utility GUI but at least it's possible and the average user isn't cracking open laptops anyway ;)

Absolutely!
[automerge]1586897335[/automerge]

TotalFinder! Now there's a name I haven't heard in a long time. I loved that back in the Snow Leopard days.

It's a pity I can't use it anymore but I used it mostly for the Finder tabs so I'd never turn off SIP for it.

Not the same app, I use Find Any File on the Mac, top Dev and keeps all upto date. Still on 10.13 and no urgency to move up, hardware's too old and the new Mac's only serve to disappoint.

If wanting a notebook that runs red hot and throttles my 2011 15" can do that 24/7 for free. Percentage wise it beats the newer 16" MBP, Apple never promised 3.5GhHz with the 2011. Close to 9 years on it still holds 3.1GHz across all cores and totally stock. New 16" may be the most powerful MBP ever produced, equally this Hex core Asus is right on it heels and will run at 3.9GHz as long as you need, with no down clock.

As oft said, so much potential wasted...

Q-6

c0ppo

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2013

You can turn off SIP, install it, and then turn off SIP again. Colorful sidebar icons + Visor (I think that's the name) + Dual Pane. After you try that out, there is no point in using regular finder ever again :)

Aika

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2006
We are very likely enthusiasts here, with extended knowledge and greater demands. Average user will be stuck or reinstalling the OS, potentially with no solution on older hardware. macOS newer versions of Disk Utility is poor, removal for the sake of removal, dumbing it down if you will. The trend will continue as Apple wants to exert ever more control and the IOS model...

Q-6

Recently I had to use my PowerBook G4 to do something in Tiger's Disk Utility because the one in Catalina just would not do it (make install media for Snow Leopard on a USB stick using the restore function). I don't know why they did this to Disk Utility of all apps.

You can turn off SIP, install it, and then turn off SIP again. Colorful sidebar icons + Visor (I think that's the name) + Dual Pane. After you try that out, there is no point in using regular finder ever again :)

Not possible in Catalina apparently and I can't seem to find my license key anyway.

Queen6

macrumors G4
Recently I had to use my PowerBook G4 to do something in Tiger's Disk Utility because the one in Catalina just would not do it (make install media for Snow Leopard on a USB stick using the restore function). I don't know why they did this to Disk Utility of all apps.

Such issues are what I'm talking about, with Apple deliberately removing features. 10.13 eases the load on the 2011 15" equally it brings it's own host of issues. IMO Apple is preparing the user for a far more dumbed down experience, which may work for the masses, equally the Professionals Apple so desperately uses to push the "Halo effect" won't be so pleased.

Similar I need to boot to an older version of OS X to deal with problems and or common maintenance as 10.13 forbids, is a joke...

Q-6

Last edited:
Reactions: Aika

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
I have been running KDE neon on my 2011 Mac mini for the last couple of years and would definitely recommend it.

I've been daily driving Fedora on the desktop in my sig since Ryzen 2000 was released, and running Linux elsewhere since 1995-1996 (with Slackware).

I'm waiting for Ubuntu 20.04 to be released as it will bring a lot of new tech to the able - ZFS officially supported as the root filesystem will make for a bunch of new features regarding snapshot and rollback.
[automerge]1586907711[/automerge]
W10 gets on with that in the background and has done so for some time.

Windows 10 also reboots itself no matter what task of mine might be running overnight. I can't abide by that, so I ditched Windows as my PC desktop OS entirely a few years ago.

Yes there are ways of disabling that behaviour, but it is only one (of many, e.g., the telemetry, forced update schedule, etc.) indication of Microsoft's attitude towards who actually owns my PC.

Sorry, I'm simply not dealing with that and repeatedly having to work around their behaviour.

SIP on apple? I can live with that, as it doesn't do stuff to my PC while I leave it running things. Its a security feature that prevents malware. Microsoft rebooting my box and collecting telemetry - nah, no thanks.

Last edited:
Reactions: PeterJP

Queen6

macrumors G4
I've been daily driving Fedora on the desktop in my sig since Ryzen 2000 was released, and running Linux elsewhere since 1995-1996 (with Slackware).

I'm waiting for Ubuntu 20.04 to be released as it will bring a lot of new tech to the able - ZFS officially supported as the root filesystem will make for a bunch of new features regarding snapshot and rollback.
[automerge]1586907711[/automerge]

Windows 10 also reboots itself no matter what task of mine might be running overnight. I can't abide by that, so I ditched Windows as my PC desktop OS entirely a few years ago.

Yes there are ways of disabling that behaviour, but it is only one (of many, e.g., the telemetry, forced update schedule, etc.) indication of Microsoft's attitude towards who actually owns my PC.

Sorry, I'm simply not dealing with that and repeatedly having to work around their behaviour.

SIP on apple? I can live with that, as it doesn't do stuff to my PC while I leave it running things. Its a security feature that prevents malware. Microsoft rebooting my box and collecting telemetry - nah, no thanks.

Been home since end of January, W10 has only rebooted on my command. Some 3rd party SW does at times require a reboot on update as do some MS system updates. W10 has it's moments, equally have never yet had it randomly reboot, as the OS has always warned of the occurrence.

That's just my experience, nor a vast fan of MS. I'd rather be on nix, equally the SW/HW has to be present, that I cant change overnight. SIP I don't care about as one can disable and enable at will.

Right now MS has just pushed an update that requires a system reboot, however the warning is clearly flagged, nor has the system restated automatically. As there's multiple options to defer and or delay.

I'm with you for Linux, equally all the drama with W10 is way overblown. I dumped OS X as it didn't serve and exactly the same applies to W10 or any other OS for that matter.

Q-6

Last edited:

c0ppo

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2013
Not possible in Catalina apparently and I can't seem to find my license key anyway.

It is possible. Since introduction of SIP, only way to enable or disable it is in recovery mode. So you have to do it from there. I'm not saying you should do it. If finder suits you, that is great, and simply don't change it :)

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
equally all the drama with W10 is way overblown
Consider the audience, we're posting on a site named MacRumors, so there's a high degree of hatred of MS just because its MS. Hell, We still see people using the term winblows, so its clear that there are people who still take mac vs. windows to a level that questionable at best.

Been home since end of January, W10 has only rebooted on my command.
I can't recall having my win10 machine reboot on me when I'm in the middle of something. I set my core hours to be 6:00am to 6:00pm and no issues.

aevan

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2015
Serbia
Consider the audience, we're posting on a site named MacRumors, so there's a high degree of hatred of MS just because its MS. Hell, We still see people using the term winblows, so its clear that there are people who still take mac vs. windows to a level that questionable at best.

I have honestly tried to like Windows, because I like Microsoft and their services, generally. I like Surface products, I use Microsoft 365 daily (both Office apps and OneDrive), I also have a PC. I don't think Windows is terrible, I just think it's worse than macOS (for my needs and preferences). The only thing I hate - is how Windows update works, even with the core hours set (my work time can be hectic). I also don't like how it looks visually - but that is a matter of taste.

With that said, it works, it's ok - I don't hate it. And I especially don't hate Microsoft, after Apple they are one of my favourite tech companies.

Last edited:

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
but that is a matter of taste.
Yes, personal preference, I've been saying for quite some time that you pick the best tool for the job. I don't think people can objectively say windows, linux, macOS is superior, but rather for their situation A given OS is their preference and choice.

Windows is not perfect, but neither is macOS. Just look at the number of complaints regarding kernel panics in the MBP forum, or bugs/issues in the macOS forums. I think there's at least one thread for each version of macOS where someone states that version of macOS is Apple's Vista. Yet there are people state that macOS is problem free ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

1587037467566.png

This thread is a good example, where we have some folks blaming Microsoft for poorly written applications by other developers. Windows, Linux and yes even macOS could have a negative experience if you use buggy, bloated apps and there are those in macOS, i.e., Adobe is a great example

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
The only thing I hate - is how Windows update works, even with the core hours set (my work time can be hectic). I also don't like how it looks visually - but that is a matter of taste.

Exactly.

There is no option to not set a window and do it when I feel like it. Like you my hours vary wildly from day to day, and I often need my machine to be available for emergency remote work 24/7.

My hatred for Windows isn't based on being a Mac fanboy - it's based on working with Microsoft products professionally during my career as an enterprise mixed environment (but largely windows) administrator for the past 15-20 years.

Dealing with windows (and Microsoft in general) brain damage is my day job. I don't want the same idiocy on my personal devices thanks.

I may be a MacRumors regular, but I've actually got 3x the quantity of Windows experience (vs. Mac) in a professional environment. I'm qualified to hate Windows (for specific reasons) probably more than 95% of people here. I've dealt with it in the workplace since 3.1.

Last edited:

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I'm qualified to hate Windows (for specific reasons) probably more than 95% of people here. I've dealt with it in the workplace since 3.1.
I've been using windows since 1.0, yes 1.0, one of my old companies had some DEC PCs running windows 1.0. so I think I can say that I too am qualified, and yet my experience has been polar opposite. I maintain both PCs and servers in my job. Is windows perfect? No I never said that, is macOS perfect? Nope that has its issues as well. I've also sold, configured and repaired PCs for many years as a second job

Dealing with windows (and Microsoft in general)
People dealing with bugs in macOS or the butterfly keyboards, or staingate, or bendgate will probably say the same thing towards apple. I've had excellent support from apple, but Apple has stonewalled consumers at times, i.e., charging them full price for a butterfly keyboard replacement, or a new phone (due to the other being bent)

My point is that it is still personal preference. You use your work experience to convey that you are unlike others are qualified to objectively state that windows and/or Microsoft is inferior and macOS and/or Apple is superior. That's just not the case imo. Windows has advantages and disadvantages pure and simple. You like Macs - more power to you, but your proclivity towards apple products doesn't mean that other solutions are inferior.

LeeW

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2017
Over here
I can also say I have used Windows since it was first released, in fact, I remember the time when despite Windows being installed by default on a PC, nobody but nobody used it and done everything on the command line using DOS. Windows was only for when you wanted to play solitaire or minesweeper. It had no other useful purpose at that time.

I agree with @maflynn it all comes down to personal preference, my only allegiance is to whatever or whoever is providing solutions to my needs at a point in time. If that is macos or windows I will work with either, do I prefer macOS? Yes. Do I really need it? No.

The last couple of months have proven that. I have been very vocal about the Apple hardware issues, not had too many issues on the software side using macOS. Despite the initial good vibes around the MBP 16" it turns out that it's got too many issues, FFS.

So I went back to Windows and tried harder to find a solution that would work for me a couple of months ago.

W10P, Hyper-V and Vagrant have me now mirroring everything I can do on macOS and as efficiently. In fact, I would say I am actually starting to prefer the setup I have on Windows.

So now I am using my PC more but keeping my MBP 13" as a portable but also to access other things as needed.

I still struggle a lot on Windows but that is because I have spent the last 20 years focussed on Mac and commands are so different but improving every day.

Windows has thus far never crashed, but then neither has macOS. I don't have any update issues on W10P as I get to manage the updates to my preferences.

Still about 40-45% of my time on Windows vs macOS, but a year ago I only turned on the PC to play a game.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.