Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MarkC426

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2008
UK
Yes but you havn't received the goods, which 'you purchased'.
The worlds messed up isn't it......:mad:

Actually I backed a movie release years ago on indiegogo, and never got the Blu-ray I paid for, they sent me a Vimeo download link instead, because the production company had run out of cash, even though the film was complete and released on dvd/br/iTunes etc.

Ethosik

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009
Yes but you havn't received the goods, which 'you purchased'.
The worlds messed up isn't it......:mad:

Actually I backed a movie release years ago on indiegogo, and never got the Blu-ray I paid for, they sent me a Vimeo download link instead, because the production company had run out of cash, even though the film was complete and released on dvd/br/iTunes etc.
Oh I know, that is why I tried three times! But they take the dispute to Indiegogo and Indiegogo says I purchased the goods. So yeah I am not happy at all.

Akrapovic

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2018
Scotland
Sorry, but no offence to anyone here - you shouldn't get a refund. This is a kickstarter. You back it knowing that there is a possibility it will not ship. You did not "purchase" goods - you crowd funded an item.

You may not like that, but that is how these sites work. You should not spend money there you aren't prepared to lose.

I've also ordered mine, btw. So I am not coming in from the outside.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
You back it knowing that there is a possibility it will not ship. You did not "purchase" goods - you crowd funded an item.
I disagree, the backers did buy a product. But also you backed an initiative in good faith, and if the company that is producing the good is not acting in good faith you should get your money back. I backed a product once and it got delayed, but the person/company was sending updates regularly with estimates on each milestone. From what little I know about dune case, those folks have not really been forthright on information, statuses or responding to backers.

Ethosik

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009
Sorry, but no offence to anyone here - you shouldn't get a refund. This is a kickstarter. You back it knowing that there is a possibility it will not ship. You did not "purchase" goods - you crowd funded an item.

You may not like that, but that is how these sites work. You should not spend money there you aren't prepared to lose.

I've also ordered mine, btw. So I am not coming in from the outside.

Sorry. I ordered mine in November 2019 when they said they would start shipping in January 2020. Before all the crazy lockdowns and things. But apparently they didn’t even start production until April 2021?! I didn’t purchase air here. I purchased when they said they would start shipping in Jan 2020. Their communication throughout this whole process has been more horrible than I have ever seen in my life.

LeeW

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2017
Over here

Certainly, if you jump in day 1 or 2 and they spend all the money trying to create the product but can't then I agree, you just need to suck up the loss. There were no guarantees at that stage.

Once they start getting to a 'shipping' stage that is a different position. You are buying a product, it is no longer being crowd-funded at this stage.

Having said that though, the reality is that you will never get your money back if they don't ship.

Akrapovic

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2018
Scotland
All of this "it changes when they ship" or "good faith" stuff is purely your perception of the agreement. It is not what you signed up to. This is a kickstarter. Right up until you get the product, you cannot guarantee that you will get the product you paid to back.

You paid. You accepted the terms and conditions. Those terms did not change later just because you feel like they should. It is still being crowd funded (a company is not financially stable just because it has started shipping its first product).

If you don't want the risk, then wait until it IS a proper purchase to get product setup. Kickstarter and Indegogo are not these.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
"good faith" stuff is purely your perception of the agreement.
It is an agreement, and like most (all?) crowd funding initiatives, when the goal is met there is an expectation of a product. We're approaching 2 years on this and it seems there's little to show for it. If a company raised money for a product, shouldn't people who invested expect that? They in fact raised 1.3 million dollars to fullfill the orders yet where are those orders?

1627639417476.png

This is a kickstarter. Right up until you get the product, you cannot guarantee that you will get the product you paid to back.
If the product fails to achieve the goals, yes, but that's not the case with dune case

I'm still hopeful that they are able to produce this case, as it looks awesome but it seems those who crowd funded this first. At this point the risk is too high for me to throw 250 dollars at it.

Akrapovic

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2018
Scotland
The agreement you signed doesn't change when the funding goal is made. Kickstarters are just one of many methods to gain cash. It does not mean you get a product when a bar on a website gets to the end.

People really need to start investigating what they spend their money on.

Ethosik

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009
So they can basically do no wrong here huh? In your opinion, they can just NEVER ship the product, pocket the 1.3 million and just keep "kicking the can" to MAYBE get a few more buyers?

MarkC426

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2008
UK
The agreement you signed doesn't change when the funding goal is made. Kickstarters are just one of many methods to gain cash. It does not mean you get a product when a bar on a website gets to the end.

People really need to start investigating what they spend their money on.
Maybe the indiegogo project I funded was worded differently.
My contribution was described as a 'contribute x amount and your perk is', so basically you should get your perk.

In my case it 'should have been' a signed Blu-ray of the film.

However even though the film was completed, released at cinema/Blu-ray/dvd/digital, they where unable to honour the agreement, and instead I got a Vimeo download link.

Ethosik

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009
Maybe the indiegogo project I funded was worded differently.
My contribution was described as a 'contribute x amount and your perk is', so basically you should get your perk.

In my case it 'should have been' a signed Blu-ray of the film.

However even though the film was completed, released at cinema/Blu-ray/dvd/digital, they where unable to honour the agreement, and instead I got a Vimeo download link.
These places need to be held accountable. If they said you would get a signed copy, you should have received a signed copy.

And it just really irritates me when I filed a dispute, Indiegogo said I received the items I purchased. I DID NOT! I just gave up trying to dispute the charge on my card.

• Sad
Reactions: MarkC426

Ethosik

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009
And it still says May of 2021.

Has the company offered any communication recently, and/or estimates?
Just looked at the comments now, they still won't ship the 100 units they have made due to China. That has ALWAYS been the excuse since the January 2021 date got missed. They just like to use any of the current situation to kick the can down the road. They were recently delayed due to the power issues in China, and the flooding in China, and several months ago waiting for the individual in charge to get on site in China and had to go through quarantine. They didn't even start production until April and they only produced 100 units.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
They didn't even start production until April and they only produced 100 units.
Regardless of the shipping woes, why only a 100 units? I mean why not keep making them. Its a bummer that this is turning into vaporware. As I mentioned, I really like this case, and given the review by LTT, it appears to be something well made (provided the production units are of the same quality).

I'm happy with my computer build, but I'm kind of itching to do something better, and fix the mistakes that I made during the build.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I some how ended up on Dune's mailing list, I wanted to touch upon a couple of things.

First, they mentioned over four thousand backers as noted below - that's quite surprising.

Secondly, they've only produced 600 cases (out of 4,293 backers). That's really low and hopefully production will now ramp up.

Finally, I'm still tempted and I may gamble and throw a couple hundred towards this, but I know there's so many different cases and case manufacturers, I may start looking for a case that will work for me. Plus the lack of mesh filter many mean dust infiltration that I'm not really prepared to deal with.

1628257634342.png

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Words are free, actions not so much and that is what they appear to be lacking.
Oh no question, but time will tell whether they're blowing smoke or not.

I do love how its organized/laid out and the open front/back for ventilation but I myself will start googling mid-tower cases and see what tickles my fancy.

Like I said, if things start moving in a positive way, I may roll the dice and buy it, but only producing 15% worth of cases (300 ready to ship, 300 built), is too low to really give me any sort of warm and fuzzies.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Still waiting on my scam pro case.
That bites, from a business perspective, their best opportunity was to strike early, now that Mac Pro case design is years old, and many newer designs have been created by others, it won't have the same draw as it did when it was first announced. Still I'm intrigued by the case, its sucks so many people lost their money on this

fendersrule

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2008
Yea. I don't even care about the "Dice-Y" cover. I went with the standard edition. I care about a solid-ass PC case that is machined and comes off as high quality and is minimal. Surprisingly, something like seems impossible to find outside of "Dune."

Ethosik

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009
If I ever do get mine, I’ll sell it. But I don’t have my hopes up I’ll ever get it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.