Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cgsnipinva

macrumors 6502
Jan 29, 2013
Leesburg, VA
I think your points are great but isn’t the sole idea behind social media consumption that the consumer lives in a bubble constantly confirming whatever bias they have? Twitter is not a tool for debate it seems but a tool for one to preach to those unwilling to listen to differing opinions in the first place.

Twitter is more of a town hall - Facebook, instagram etc are "social media". There are only two types of speech - Free Speech and Speech allowed by the Powerful. Elon seems to want free speech and that is an integral value in our country and culture. I am disappointed in Tim Cook ands his tongue bathing of China and his prevalence to use Apple technology to suppress people both here and in China. In this pissing match - Elon is the good guy - Cook is the bad guy.

cgsnipinva

macrumors 6502
Jan 29, 2013
Leesburg, VA
Were they banned because they were conservative... or because of their fascist or racist behavior?

AFAIK, people don't get banned because of their political affiliation. It's words and actions that lead to bans (i.e. consequences)
Then you weren't paying attention. You said anything that disagreed with the Democrat elite - without swear words or insults - you were banned. meanwhile Twitter allowed Kiddie Pro, the Ayatollah of Iran (lots of hate speech from him) and violent posts by ANTIFA to go unfettered. From the left's perspective - ANYTHING they disagree with is quickly colored as "hate speech" or "fascist". For fascism, the needed to look in the shaving mirror.

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
Twitter is more of a town hall - Facebook, instagram etc are "social media". There are only two types of speech - Free Speech and Speech allowed by the Powerful. Elon seems to want free speech and that is an integral value in our country and culture. I am disappointed in Tim Cook ands his tongue bathing of China and his prevalence to use Apple technology to suppress people both here and in China. In this pissing match - Elon is the good guy - Cook is the bad guy.
Town hall in what sense? I pick the speaker I want to listen to and blame the other side. It’s a statement agree/disagree thing. I hardly see anyone changing their minds on the basis of twitter posts, hence an echo chamber. And for extremists on both ends it seems.

eatrains

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2006

cgsnipinva

macrumors 6502
Jan 29, 2013
Leesburg, VA
Interestingly enough Antifa twitter accounts with posts that threatened or showed their own violent acts were banned per Twitter's long established policy. Tru to form the terrorist group known as ANTIFA threatened arson at Tesla dealerships. Prior to Musk - Twitter allowed these accounts to roam free even though they went against Twitter policies. However, if you were a conservative and posted something critical of a liberal policy - "hate speech" and banned.

"Portland Antifa are planning arson attacks at Tesla locations on Friday night after Twitter owner Elon Musk started suspending accounts that call for violence.

The Post Millennial Editor-at-Large Andy Ngo tweeted, “As revenge for @Elonmusk suspending violent extremist accounts on Twitter, #Antifa in Portland are organizing arson attacks on @tesla locations tonight. This is just a drop in the ocean of years of violent organizing on Twitter.”
Ngo points to Twitter user AshRedacted, whose profile states he uses “he/they” pronouns and identifies as an “Anarchist.”

AshRedacted posted, “Tonight in Portland! Every city, every town! Show up at your local Tesla dealerships in protest of Elon Musk! This will be a thread with other flyers that pop up and other notable Tesla locations across the so called ‘US’.”

cgsnipinva

macrumors 6502
Jan 29, 2013
Leesburg, VA
Town hall in what sense? I pick the speaker I want to listen to and blame the other side. It’s a statement agree/disagree thing. I hardly see anyone changing their minds on the basis of twitter posts, hence an echo chamber. And for extremists on both ends it seems.
The fact you can read/hear someone with whom you disagree and then post your disagreement is the definition of a town hall. ALL voices are heard. Twitter was an oppressive echo chamber that altered political events and the dissemination of information because most young people got their news from Twitter (as sad as that is). So it is like a public utility and all voices should be heard.

Reactions: robd003

eatrains

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2006
Then you weren't paying attention. You said anything that disagreed with the Democrat elite - without swear words or insults - you were banned. meanwhile Twitter allowed Kiddie Pro, the Ayatollah of Iran (lots of hate speech from him) and violent posts by ANTIFA to go unfettered. From the left's perspective - ANYTHING they disagree with is quickly colored as "hate speech" or "fascist". For fascism, the needed to look in the shaving mirror.
This is of course not true and never was. Who do you think you're fooling?

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
The fact you can read/hear someone with whom you disagree and then post your disagreement is the definition of a town hall.
I can find disagreeable content all over the internet and state my own opinion on plenty places. I just don’t believe that the typical user goes there for an education on an opposing viewpoint but rather to grow one’s own confirmation bias. Twitter users refer to this as their bubble for a reason.

cgsnipinva

macrumors 6502
Jan 29, 2013
Leesburg, VA
I can find disagreeable content all over the internet and state my own opinion on plenty places. I just don’t believe that the typical user goes there for an education on an opposing viewpoint but rather to grow one’s own confirmation bias. Twitter users refer to this as their bubble for a reason.
Well just because that is there desire to hear you own stuff that is on them that does not mean Twitter has to settle for being an echo chamber.

Reactions: robd003

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
Tim is not a disinterested businessman looking solely at money. They actively helped suppress Chinese dissidents by disabling airdrop- that’s the worst of calculated businessman parodies. Then he pulled ads on Twitter to protest free speech. That might cost him money. Based on this sample it might be time to wonder if maybe Tim just is actively anti-speech.
Disable AirDrop, at the request of the Chinese government. The same Chinese government that can control their manufacturing process and has a significant influence on sales in the area. Again that’s money issue. The Twitter thing is also about money. Tim doesn’t want to seem like his company supports someone that’s offensive to a percentage of the population. This might influence their purchase of Apple products. He’s also careful not to seem like he wants to offend people who support Musk, which could also influence the percentage of the population to purchase or not purchase his products.

He’s a salesman. It’s like the arms dealer doesn’t really care what side wins the war as long as he keeps getting sales.

SnappleRumors

Suspended
Aug 22, 2022
Their frequent claims to being "fair and balanced" would suggest otherwise.

1. The Fair and Balanced motto was retired in 2017.
2. Suggests what? Have you forgotten your question I answered?
3. Fox News is a conservative news organization so the bias is implied. No outrage is necessary so no double standard.

szw-mapple fan

macrumors 68040
Jul 28, 2012
The sheer fact that poster exist and known (Which is difficult to PS) already means something.
The fact that both versions were used in China means that the original poster with John was not banned but instead changed by Disney because they thought it would attract more moviegoers in that particular market. It actually happens more often than you’d think in Eastern Asian markets.

xbjllb

macrumors 65816
Jan 4, 2008
Because everyone knows Soviet bots buy iPhones and macs.

And "Ye" is the new Apple ad excec too.

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008
Interestingly enough Antifa twitter accounts with posts that threatened or showed their own violent acts were banned per Twitter's long established policy. Tru to form the terrorist group known as ANTIFA threatened arson at Tesla dealerships. Prior to Musk - Twitter allowed these accounts to roam free even though they went against Twitter policies. However, if you were a conservative and posted something critical of a liberal policy - "hate speech" and banned.

"Portland Antifa are planning arson attacks at Tesla locations on Friday night after Twitter owner Elon Musk started suspending accounts that call for violence.

The Post Millennial Editor-at-Large Andy Ngo tweeted, “As revenge for @Elonmusk suspending violent extremist accounts on Twitter, #Antifa in Portland are organizing arson attacks on @tesla locations tonight. This is just a drop in the ocean of years of violent organizing on Twitter.”
Ngo points to Twitter user AshRedacted, whose profile states he uses “he/they” pronouns and identifies as an “Anarchist.”

AshRedacted posted, “Tonight in Portland! Every city, every town! Show up at your local Tesla dealerships in protest of Elon Musk! This will be a thread with other flyers that pop up and other notable Tesla locations across the so called ‘US’.”

You know, I'll say it again. There once was a somewhat wise conservative that most conservatives and those on the right used to hero worship who had a famous quote:

Ronald Reagan said:
Trust... but VERIFY.

Apparently those words of advice are apparently lost by those on the right nowadays, who only accept their side of the argument as being gospel, yet don't care to fact check themselves as to the validity of the sources they are quoting.

In this case, the Post Millenial:

The Post Millennial is a conservative Canadian online news magazine started in 2017. It publishes national and local news and has a large amount of opinion content. It has been criticized for publishing false and misleading stories about COVID-19[1][2][3] as well as its opaque funding and political connections.[4][5]

In short: if a source like this can not be loyal to the truth and have to post their own slant on things, especially when they have been proven false and misleading, they can not be trusted as a valid source at all. And making it worse, it is hard to tell which part is worse:
  • the fact that they post lies and misleading information; or
  • people here are gullible enough to believe them.
BL.

Reactions: Jumpthesnark

A MacBook lover

Suspended
May 22, 2009
D.C.
Really enjoying Twitter today! Another day of the free exchange of ideas and information.

It’s so heartwarming to see many of my friends who kinda weren’t much into politics now get excited about people like Elon.

I love Elon!

DEMinSoCAL

macrumors 601
Sep 27, 2005
Very good information! I love trump and I’m glad he was able to achieve second most voted president of all time. Very excited for his run this year!

But I think I’d be much more excited if Elon ran the country! He’s much more technical than trump. Maybe he’ll do an open source voting system that both parties can agree on!
Since Musk was selling "verified" status on twitter for $8, God only knows what he would do to the integrity of the voting laws. Maybe we could buy votes, too. But yeah...keep supporting the lunatics. Good idea.

Reactions: Jumpthesnark

vipergts2207

macrumors 601
Apr 7, 2009
Columbus, OH
Those are the breadth of your news collection? There must be more. Care to share?
Pretty much. NPR in the car sometimes. Throw in Fivethirtyeight during election season. The Hill and Politico are both quite objective compared to most news sources and they both produce more content than I can read in a day anyway. Not really a need for much else. It seems like you’re just upset that you don’t get to call me a hypocrite for my criticism of Fox because you probably assumed I get all my news from MSNBC and Huffington Post.

Last edited:
Reactions: bradl and inkswamp
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.