Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

yaxomoxay

macrumors 604
Mar 3, 2010
Texas
How is your exquisite egg equipment working out for you?

It's working very well, except that once I tried to use the egg cracker with a jumbo egg... which literally exploded. I don't know if I did something wrong, if the internal pressure was too much, or if jumbo eggs are not recommended with the tool. At any rate, I used it tens of times by now and not a single time a piece of egg shell ended up in the wrong place, even those times that the top did not break as I expected it to.

About to prepare another coffee presently.

Beautiful, deep words!
I just finished preparing another cup myself. Caffeinated cheers my friend!
[automerge]1572268210[/automerge]
Ah, @Scepticalscribe - your words ("about to prepare another coffee presently") somehow made my memory recall a book I've read many years ago, "Coffee: Philosophy for Everyone". It's a collection of essays on coffee and philosophy, you might enjoy it as a light, yet instructive reading.

Last edited:

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
While robusta is prominent in central and South American coffees, so is arabica.

Fair enough.

Nevertheless, my understanding is that the production of robusta is perhaps more pronounced in central and south America, (especially Brazil), while I thought I had made clear that Arabica is also cultivated there.

However, the coffees from east Africa that I prefer are mostly derived from Arabica beans, although I am perfectly aware that Kenya does cultivate robusta as well.

In any case, I was responding to @Zenithal's post.

lparsons21

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2014
Southern Illinois
I think robusta is grown at lower altitudes not suitable for arabica. I’m sure I read that somewhere but couldn’t tell you where. Just one of those useless and less cared about things you pick up by spending too much time on the ‘net! :)

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I think robusta is grown at lower altitudes not suitable for arabica. I’m sure I read that somewhere but couldn’t tell you where. Just one of those useless and less cared about things you pick up by spending too much time on the ‘net! :)

Well, I'm another who spends far too much time trawling the net for useless and useful information, and - as I have always loved information - what things are and why they are the way they are - the internet is a aver-ending treasure trove of information.

As far as I know, it is more 'robust', (better at dealing with pests and disease), can be grown at lower altitudes, and - actually - seems to have more caffeine (or stronger caffeine).

For espresso lovers, some robusta is deemed desirable in the coffee (or coffee blend) as it yields a far better 'crema' than does Arabica.

lparsons21

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2014
Southern Illinois
I’ve not used any robusta in my roasts and blends. Never even gave it a thought. And yes, it has a higher caffeine level from what I’ve read.
My usual coffee greens are various Colombians, Indian Mysore Nuggets with a few others at different times. Not real big on the Africans though I do get some now and then.

Reactions: D.T.

LordVic

Cancelled
Sep 7, 2011
Hadn't tried my hand at making latte's yet. Gave it a shot this morning. I am thoroughly happy with the result.

1572704189317.png

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I have just prepared a mug (Le Creuset) of piping hot coffee: Ethiopian (naturally dried) coffee, plus organic brown sugar, plus organic, raw, full fat milk heated to just under boiling point.

Perfect (with buttered brioche) for a filthy, wet, damp, dreary, drizzling-downpouring, miserable November afternoon.

Last edited:
Reactions: JamesMike

JamesMike

macrumors 603
Nov 3, 2014
Oregon
I have just prepared a mug (Le Creuset) of staying hot coffee: Ethiopian (naturally dried) coffee, plus organic brown sugar, plus organic, raw, full fat milk heated to just under boiling point.

Perfect (with buttered brioche) for a filthy, wet, damp, dreary, drizzling-downpouring, miserable November afternoon.

I brought my thermos of Kenyan coffee with honey and milk to my neighbor's house to watch the World Cup Rugby match.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
It not depression to me, I make the most of foul weather. I use a tablespoon of honey.

Fair enough, but I do find it - this time of year - depressing, (and always have) and I think I find the exceptionally poor quality of light (along with the wet, cold, and darkness) you find in northern Europe in winter at this time of year is what affects me most of all.

Reactions: JamesMike

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Tried a blend of two new Ethiopian coffees today (one washed, one naturally dried) one of which hailed from Yirgacheffe, my favourite region for coffee.

Served with organic full fat milk (heated to just below boiling point) and organic brown sugar, it was delicious.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.