Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

AVBeatMan

macrumors 603
Nov 10, 2010
Had a fabulous flat white in Black Sheep coffee shop in the middle of Manchester. Here for the weekend to visit the Christmas Markets. Staying in a lovely hotel, the Marriott Renaissance in Manchester City Centre.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

AVBeatMan

macrumors 603
Nov 10, 2010
Had a fabulous flat white in Black Sheep coffee shop in the middle of Manchester. Here for the weekend to visit the Christmas Markets. Staying in a lovely hotel, the Marriott Renaissance in Manchester City Centre.

So good I’ve gone back and am having another. A great way to start the day. Also bought some beans while here.

179bf8e117e86b2b5418212588e74ac2.jpg

Reactions: adrianlondon

ScrumpyDaniel

macrumors 6502
Apr 15, 2019
I've always wanted to get into coffee but just can't enjoy the taste. Any good suggestions on ways to enjoy coffee for a beginner?

Reactions: TwoH

yaxomoxay

macrumors 604
Mar 3, 2010
Texas
I've always wanted to get into coffee but just can't enjoy the taste. Any good suggestions on ways to enjoy coffee for a beginner?

Don't force it. Coffee can certainly be an acquired taste, but ultimately taste is 100% subjective and drinking coffee, like drinking alcohol, must be a pleasant - yet not disorderly - experience aimed at relaxing your soul.
My recommendation is to try coffee drinks. Try a latte (which is basically lots of milk and a couple shots of espresso), or a cappuccino (foam, milk, and a couple shots of espresso). Try a Frappuccino, etc. After a while try to increase the quantity of coffee. And play with the quantity of sugar. I drink black coffee, no sugar, in various forms (espresso, drip, pour over, moka, percolator, etc.), but I grew up on coffee.
Some coffee snobs look down on those who drink cappuccinos and stuff. Just experiment and enjoy what you enjoy. You're at the center of the experience, not the coffee.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.

@yaxomoxay has some very good suggestions; trying out milk based coffees (cappuccino, or latte, or a flat white) is a good way to try out different styles of coffee preparation that will ensure that the actual coffee flavour will not overpower you.

Some people use sugar in coffee - I always do in espressos, but not often in other types of coffee. But that is entirely a matter for personal taste.

Also, I would take a look at different types of actual coffee; how they are roasted (for example, a light roast will not be as dominant a taste as a dark roast coffee), and different regions (my own preferences are the relatively light - yet flavoursome - coffees from the Horn of Africa, rather than, say, central or south America).

Last edited:
Reactions: yaxomoxay

LordVic

Cancelled
Sep 7, 2011
A nice homemade americano to start the day right.

Since I bought myself an esspresoo machine, I haven't touched my tassimo. Stopped buying coffee at the coffee shop. Overall, I'm much happier with the ability to make myself a quality coffee instead of drinking that watery piss that the pod machines create.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
A nice homemade americano to start the day right.

Since I bought myself an esspresoo machine, I haven't touched my tassimo. Stopped buying coffee at the coffee shop. Overall, I'm much happier with the ability to make myself a quality coffee instead of drinking that watery piss that the pod machines create.

Not a fan of the pod machines, although I don't doubt that they can be quite useful in som circumstances.

What espresso machine do you have?

Reactions: yaxomoxay
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.