Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AndiG

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2008
Germany
Imagine a Europe that had strong, competitive technology.

That would be a better world
Ever heard of ASML? ASML is the only company in the world capable of making the machines that are needed to manufacture the most advanced chips. The machines TSMC needs to produce Apple silicon.

ASML - Netherlands/EU, you know?

ASML needs EUV Lasers, provided by Trumpf - Germany/EU. I think Trumpf is also the only company …

ASML needs brilliant optics, only ZEISS is capable to manufacture. Zeiss Germany/EU, you know?

So there wouldn‘t be any of you‘re beloved products without strong and competitive technology from Europe.

wanha

macrumors 68000
Oct 30, 2020
Well that power thing is just funny - good luck trying to regulate chemistry, EU

Also, this may be hard for many to comprehend, but the life of a Lithium battery is related to the total charge of the battery and has nothing to do with the number of charges.

But when we hear "500 cycle", we think 500 charges. Not necessarily so.

You can confuse yourself more here https://www.grepow.com/blog/charging-cycles-of-lithium-ion-polymer-batteries/

krspkbl

macrumors 68020
Jul 20, 2012
Apple right now

iu

To be fair I'm quite happy with the battery life on my iPhone but I know a lot of people and have seen a **** load of reports online of people having ****** battery life. It's not just Apple of course but we really need better battery technology and more efficient chips/software. Apple and Google have control over iOS/Android so they could be doing a lot more to make it more efficient.

• Disagree
Reactions: RuralJuror and jjm3

Red Oak

Suspended
Jun 14, 2011
Ever heard of ASML? ASML is the only company in the world capable of making the machines that are needed to manufacture the most advanced chips. The machines TSMC needs to produce Apple silicon.

ASML - Netherlands/EU, you know?

ASML needs EUV Lasers, provided by Trumpf - Germany/EU. I think Trumpf is also the only company …

ASML needs brilliant optics, only ZEISS is capable to manufacture. Zeiss Germany/EU, you know?

So there wouldn‘t be any of you‘re beloved products without strong and competitive technology from Europe.
I give you that one. That is one. Albeit, they do less than $25B a year in revenues. A pittance in the grand scheme of things

Name your other Top 5

IIGS User

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2019
“Ensuring longer battery life”

Ok, good luck enforcing that lol.

I can think of a lot of things I wish politicians could ensure lasted longer.

Yes, but they were an EU company on and before the 31st of January 2020.

Now it's just blue pens vs black pens, or Ford Vs. Ferrari. So they were, then they weren't, now they are EU again or aren't they? etc. Meh.

If you really REALLY want to make an argument about EU zone tech companies, simply point to ASML which is in the Netherlands. ASML has a virtual monopoly on the EUV lithographic machines that make it possible for TSMC to make those ARM based M and A series chips that power everything Apple these days. Samsung almost exclusively uses ASML as well.

Without ASML, TSMC and Samsung aren't making those super advanced chip sets, and all this awesome tech we have goes "POOF".

The tight restrictions on exporting ASML's IP and products is the reason the PRC can't replicate the most advanced chip technology at this time. It's what opens all the doors, and is the key to all the locks.

Without it, your iPhone is still back in 4s territory.

Cromulent

macrumors 604
Oct 2, 2006
The Land of Hope and Glory
I give you that one. That is one. Albeit, they do less than $25B a year in revenues. A pittance in the grand scheme of things

Name your other Top 5
All revenue is yearly in USD.

BT Group - $30.374bn
BAE Systems - $28.624bn
Ericsson - $34.958bn
Philips - $35.152bn

They are a few technology-only companies in the EU / Europe.

one more

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2015
Earth
Not really that hard. You can check how many charging cycles your phone went through and if it’s below 83%, well then they would have to service the battery for free. Presumably for 5 years?

Nope, the article says 500 full charging cycles, which could be like a year and a half for somebody charging every night.

Madhatter32

macrumors 65816
Apr 17, 2020
They could just require devices to contain batteries that are accessible and replaceable by consumers, like most electronic devices. I had two hot-swappable Mac laptops in the past and I never had to worry about my device outliving my batteries.

Reactions: RuralJuror

AndiG

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2008
Germany

Name your other Top 5
Named already three. Asml, Trumpf,and Zeiss. Every single produces unique products. And we have many more.

We do still have strong companies, maybe no tech giants like Apple, Google, Facebook and Amazon - but this may be a good thing.

koil

macrumors regular
Dec 3, 2019
Can’t wait for someone to offer up “Spotify” as a EU technology company
While it's not the largest (i.e. we have larger companies more deserving of a placement in the top 5 list), it certainly does fit the bill with it being a "technology company" created and developed in Sweden. It literally spawned a whole business segment mate. So what are you getting at?

I might offer up Volvo as well honestly, which invented and refined automotive safety technology.

contacos

macrumors 601
Nov 11, 2020
Mexico City living in Berlin
They could just require devices to contain batteries that are accessible and replaceable by consumers, like most electronic devices. I had two hot-swappable Mac laptops in the past and I never had to worry about my device outliving my batteries.

My BF got a new Samsung phone from work last week and he was wondering why it didnt charge and I was impressed how light it was. Eventually I was like "hum ... are you sure this phone does not have a replaceable battery and you still have to put it in?" (yes, we had to) 😅 so not used to that anymore but it was a pleasant surprise

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
Pushing efficiency is good. This should put pressure on ARM and Qualcomm as their performance cores are just not efficient, with each generation actually being less efficient than the last. And hopefully this would also discourage many OEMs form using old 28nm chips on their phones.

But I also hope this is enforced for laptops as well. This should give motivation for intel to innovate.

Imo this is a "better" regulation than requiring USB-C.

Reactions: Tagbert

EmotionalSnow

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2019
Linz, Austria
Seems like maybe too many.

EU and US both need a law holiday where the legislators compete to see how many needless laws can be repealed.
To adequately represent all 27 member states and their political groups we need a lot of MEPs. And just because we have more lawmakers does not mean that we automatically have more useless or bad laws.

And I suspect that there aren’t actually as many laws that need to be repealed as you think.

CB1234

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2012
Dubai, UAE
Wish EU lawmakers would use this for car manufacturers and the electronics....

Car costs much much more and we know how much the car companies charge if you have to replace parts on the car....

And whilst they are at it, why not apply it on White Electronic goods as well...

Reactions: EmotionalSnow

jimbobb24

macrumors 68040
Jun 6, 2005
Way to miss the boat. They should mandate the phones dont get hot in the sun, are waterproof for 1000 hours, and the screens are so bright they can be read easily in direct sunlight while only needing to charge once every week.

Governments think because they can make money out of thin air they can mandate electrical engineering.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.