Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jimbobb24

macrumors 68040
Jun 6, 2005
Not really that hard. You can check how many charging cycles your phone went through and if it’s below 83%, well then they would have to service the battery for free. Presumably for 5 years?

Or if the device fails their battery test overall, they can slap a C or D eco friendly label on it
Its hard because that technology does not exist in that form factor. Its just a bureaucrat with a degree in policy grievance studies thinking....of course they can do better they just dont want to because they dont understand anything about engineering tradeoffs.

The solution to needing to replace everyones batteries is that EU phones will cost 10-15% more. Thats the part thats "not really that hard".

• Disagree
Reactions: EmotionalSnow

cmcbhi

Contributor
Nov 3, 2014
As I recall, the YUgo legislature got their panties in a wad when Apple, through software, slowed their iPhones when their battery function reached a lower level. They did this to preserve battery life, but they didn't tell the public.
So a simple update in iOS/iPadOS that also will not let you charge your battery past 80% and no fast charging for YUgo phones only and Bing-Badda-Boom problem fixed.

citysnaps

macrumors G4
Oct 10, 2011
Apple right now

iu

To be fair I'm quite happy with the battery life on my iPhone but I know a lot of people and have seen a **** load of reports online of people having ****** battery life. It's not just Apple of course but we really need better battery technology and more efficient chips/software. Apple and Google have control over iOS/Android so they could be doing a lot more to make it more efficient.
"It's not just Apple of course but we really need better battery technology and more efficient chips/software. Apple and Google have control over iOS/Android so they could be doing a lot more to make it more efficient."

I suspect you have valuable information and experience in this area. Please contact Apple's project managers, systems engineers, and silicon designers with detailed information on how to make their products more efficient.

cmcbhi

Contributor
Nov 3, 2014
Ever heard of ASML? ASML is the only company in the world capable of making the machines that are needed to manufacture the most advanced chips. The machines TSMC needs to produce Apple silicon.

ASML - Netherlands/EU, you know?

ASML needs EUV Lasers, provided by Trumpf - Germany/EU. I think Trumpf is also the only company …

ASML needs brilliant optics, only ZEISS is capable to manufacture. Zeiss Germany/EU, you know?

So there wouldn‘t be any of you‘re beloved products without strong and competitive technology from Europe.
You've never heard of Nikon and Canon, have you?
Also, Zeiss is NOT limited to Germany. From their website:
With over 35,000 employees, ZEISS is active globally in almost 50 countries with around 30 production sites, 60 sales and service companies and 27 research and development facilities.
So, perhaps you need to brush up your Knowledge/Data base.

koil

macrumors regular
Dec 3, 2019
I’ll publish a ‘final’ list once I get all submissions. British companies and military contractors do not count

Can’t wait to see someone submit Skype!
Again, what are you insinuating with the tone of these comments? It's hard to read on the internet...

Saying ARM does not count as EU is completely asinine, it's British yes, but that only recently means non-EU, certainly not relevant in the grand scheme of things as ARM was founded and developed while the United Kingdom was EU.

needsomecoffee

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2008
Seattle
It would not have been too hard for Apple to develop their version of a FairPhone. Provide it as an optional model for folks who want to make tradeoffs to help save Mother Earth. Instead Tim & Co. get the benefit of nearly $1 Trillion in stock buy backs these last few years (almost $100 Billion last quarter I think). The need for a FairPhone option has been there for a long time, but billionaires going to billionize.

jimbobb24

macrumors 68040
Jun 6, 2005
It would not have been too hard for Apple to develop their version of a FairPhone. Provide it as an optional model for folks who want to make tradeoffs to help save Mother Earth. Instead Tim & Co. get the benefit of nearly $1 Trillion in stock buy backs these last few years (almost $100 Billion last quarter I think). The need for a FairPhone option has been there for a long time, but billionaires going to billionize.
These statements are so common on the internet and so ridiculous. How do you know how difficult these tradeoffs and costs are? How do you know how much money they would make or lose? This is the kind of thinking which politicians do..."its not going to be too hard for that waitress mother of 3 to work the extra shifts to pay the taxes so we can forgive that Harvard law grads student loans"....

Red Oak

Suspended
Jun 14, 2011
With over 35,000 employees, ZEISS is active globally in almost 50 countries with around 30 production sites, 60 sales and service companies and 27 research and development facilities.
Zeiss is Germany based. That is what counts here

Spaceboi Scaphandre

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2022
Apple does much of this already so these regulations are going to primarily impact everyone else and get them to step up their game.
No they don’t. They still do the John Deere tactic of blocking certain chip components repair shops use for sodder repairs. Hell a lot of parts are still under lockdown.

cmcbhi

Contributor
Nov 3, 2014
If you prefer a FairPhone, buy one.

contacos

macrumors 601
Nov 11, 2020
Mexico City living in Berlin
BMW is also "Germany Based" but most of their SUVs are built in South Carolina, USA.
Do you have a real point?

Its still a German company. Apple is not manufacturing their iPhones in the US either. With that logic, Apple is just as much as a Chinese company as BMW. My cousin works for Daimler at the headquarter in Stuttgart, Germany. If the US office messes up, she literally flies there to kick their asses (figuratively speaking), if the factories in Mexico get a new contract, the German engineers fly over there to teach them how to XY.

I also work for the HQ of a company, located in Germany. We have subdivisions across Europe but it is still a German company. For example, I am not even a Head Of but if the "Head of XY in Italy" has another "stupid" idea, I can still tell them "no" (even though I am not even a Head of) simply because I work at the HQ and that automatically gives me more "power" because at the end of the day, they all work "for us"

Last edited:

jlc1978

macrumors 603
Aug 14, 2009
One question is: What qualifies as a phone? Does a watch that can make calls? Only if it is independently capable of calling? A tablet with cellular service?

5 yrs spare parts basically means bankrupting most Android OEMs. Good.

I doubt it. The onus is likely to be on the importer to maintain the repair stock, increasing the revenue to the OEM. In addition, unless some turnaround time is specified you might face a long wait to actually get the repair part.

500 “Full” charges, or what Apple calls a “Charge Cycle.” So five charges from 80% to 100% = 1 “Full” charge.

The EU will have to define "500 Full Charges" or else you will have a wide range of interpretations.

I understand security updates, as a security vulnerability could potentially affect a lot of people.

Not unreasonable.

I don’t understand "functionality updates”. So manufacturers will be required to add features? Why? If you buy a product that is advertised as doing a, b, and c, and three years later it still does a, b, and c, then what’s the problem?

Exactly. Does this mean for 3 years you can only new functionality if they are backwards compatible? When does teh clock start? Date of introduction? Last sold? In the latter, you could run a situation where a phone design is over 5 years old and the new feature seriously degrades performance. Clearly hardware dependent features have to be excluded to avoid such situations.

I might offer up Volvo as well honestly, which invented and refined automotive safety technology.

While Volvo certainly introduced and refined a lot of safety features; I wouldn't credit them with inventing automotive safety technology; at least not in the sense that they created whole new tech rather than improving existing and incorporating it. Many other manufacturers created safety features that are standard today; and some had their genesis in racing and aviation as well. For example, Nash offered seat belts as an option in 1949; Volvo improved seat belt design to come up with the revolutionary 3 point belt and made seat belts standard 10 years later. Crumple zones were invented by a Hungarian engineer who refined the idea at MB. Safety glass was invented by a French Chemist. Car safety technology is the result of a lot of companies innovations.

Even then, Volvo pulled some shady stuff to be known as the safety car company, such as reinforcing its cars roofs so they won't collapse when driven over by a monster truck while cutting pillars on competitors cars so the roofs collapse.

BMW is also "Germany Based" but most of their SUVs are built in South Carolina, USA.

That plant is also the largest BMW Group plant in the world, producing more than 1,500 vehicles each day.

Last edited:
Reactions: ackmondual

WWPD

macrumors 6502a
Aug 21, 2015
Ten Forward
Its still a German company. Apple is not manufacturing their iPhones in the US either. With that logic, Apple is just as much as a Chinese company as BMW. My cousin works for Daimler at the headquarter in Stuttgart, Germany. If the US office messes up, she literally flies there to kick their asses (figuratively speaking), if the factories in Mexico get a new contract, the German engineers fly over there to teach them how to do it
Exactly. All large corps have international hq's and manufacturing facilities. This is getting absurd.

webkit

macrumors 68030
Jan 14, 2021
United States
No they don’t. They still do the John Deere tactic of blocking certain chip components repair shops use for sodder repairs. Hell a lot of parts are still under lockdown.

I assumed "provide parts" only meant that they had to be available in some way for at least five years, even if only by servicing through manufacturer or manufacturer authorized repair facility. Not necessarily for DIY or independent shop repairs.

Red Oak

Suspended
Jun 14, 2011
Do you have a real point?
The EU is overly focused on regulations and is incapable of producing world-leading technology companies, especially in the consumer space.

Is that simple enough for you?

Are you really going to list BMW as one of your picks for EU Top 5 technology companies?

Will Co

macrumors 6502
Feb 21, 2021
United Kingdom
A lot of negativity here about EU lawmaking. Generally, I don't like much of what they do, but I fail to see the downside. Having devices last longer, by enabling spare parts and a right to repair, and ensuring technologies or software are developed to eke the most out of a battery - they're all good things. We gotta look after the resources of the planet and this is just another one small tiny part of that. I know most of us on here love to get the latest and greatest bit of kit whenever we can, but that's probably a minority position. Most people want long lasting kit. Goodness knows the planet needs that.

Populus

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
Ever heard of ASML? ASML is the only company in the world capable of making the machines that are needed to manufacture the most advanced chips. The machines TSMC needs to produce Apple silicon.

ASML - Netherlands/EU, you know?

ASML needs EUV Lasers, provided by Trumpf - Germany/EU. I think Trumpf is also the only company …

ASML needs brilliant optics, only ZEISS is capable to manufacture. Zeiss Germany/EU, you know?

So there wouldn‘t be any of you‘re beloved products without strong and competitive technology from Europe.
One of the best comments I’ve read. Thank you for speaking so clearly.

EmotionalSnow

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2019
Linz, Austria
Way to miss the boat. They should mandate the phones dont get hot in the sun, are waterproof for 1000 hours, and the screens are so bright they can be read easily in direct sunlight while only needing to charge once every week.

Governments think because they can make money out of thin air they can mandate electrical engineering.
Instead of arguing on the merit of this proposal your post basically boils down to “government bad”. Providing repair parts and ensuring that phone batteries last at least 500 cycles before they drop to 83% are both things that are very possible today.

AndiG

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2008
Germany
Of course Zeiss is a global company. But Zeiss originated from and is still a German company. So there is no need to brush something up.
Also Zeiss is the only company to deliver the lenses for the EUV lithography of ASML.

Zeiss mirror system around 5:40

Last edited:

EmotionalSnow

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2019
Linz, Austria
Because these two didn’t want to take the big risk back then ASML has a monopoly on EUV technology which is required for the lowest-nm chips TSMC makes. I am quite confident the world of computing, no the entire world, would look quite different today if ASML hadn’t taken a gamble on EUV.

There’s no shame in admitting that Europeans aren’t stupid and indeed are quite capable in terms of innovation. After all your ancestors were most likely Europeans too (if you are from the US).

PS: BioNTech, a German company, has earned so much from their revolutionary vaccine that the city of Mainz, where their headquarters lie, earned so much taxes from them that they could pay off all debts and still have a lot left over.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.