Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MRrainer

macrumors 68000
Aug 8, 2008
Zurich, Switzerland
“Ensuring longer battery life”

Ok, good luck enforcing that lol.
Oh, that‘s easy. You just reserve a bigger buffer that never gets used or charged directly but is used for balancing the cells.

Apple probably does this already. Just because it says „100%“, doesn’t mean it’s really 100%.

I‘m at 86% or so on my January 2019 XR.

So, it could more or less work out in the remaining 18 or so months.

jlc1978

macrumors 603
Aug 14, 2009
Tough EU regulations. Ensuring battery life may end up being an issue.

Not really. If the battery is replaceable, the battery life requirement is waived. Since most can be, even if not easily, then most phones will be exempt.

Oh, that‘s easy. You just reserve a bigger buffer that never gets used or charged directly but is used for balancing the cells.

Apple probably does this already. Just because it says „100%“, doesn’t mean it’s really 100%.

Exactly, simply design enough extra so the actually capacity is higher than rated to cover degradation; which would not be a bad option. Or simply make the battery replaceable, even if it requires social tools and training.

polyphenol

macrumors 68000
Sep 9, 2020
Wales

I‘m at 86% or so on my January 2019 XR.

So, it could more or less work out in the remaining 18 or so months.
93% on my iPhone 12 Pro bought pretty much on release.

t0rqx

macrumors 68000
Nov 27, 2021
Please make one for laptops so we can exchange/upgrade RAM and storage.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
[...]
Exactly, simply design enough extra so the actually capacity is higher than rated to cover degradation; which would not be a bad option. Or simply make the battery replaceable, even if it requires social tools and training.
Isn't the battery already replaceable? (ignoring the difficulty of what it would take and the tools needed) Or do you want ala Blackberry a removable back panel on the iphone?

jlc1978

macrumors 603
Aug 14, 2009
Isn't the battery already replaceable? (ignoring the difficulty of what it would take and the tools needed)

It is. The capacity requirements are only for non-replaceable batteries. From what I've seen most are; it's just easier on some phones than others.

Or do you want ala Blackberry a removable back panel on the iphone?

No, my point was the charge cycle requirement is not applicable to a lot of commonly used phones, since they have replaceable batteries; even if it is not easily done as a DIY nor inexpensive if you use a manufacturer's replacement instead of generic.

Reactions: I7guy

EdT

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2007
Omaha, NE
Thank you for actually replying instead of just disagreeing.

I admit that I don't actually know enough about EU politics to comment. I only say that because there have been a lot of stories in the news lately about EU laws affecting US companies and the general consensus seems to be that there is a bit of overreach.

But I think my comment still stands for the US.
I have worked with several European companies for a US custom assembly lines equipment supplier and the amount of regulation and documentation required for custom machines is a lot higher, but their accident and injury rates, at least in Denmark, Germany and Austria were a lot lower in their manufacturing facilities than they average here in the US. Financial or electronics I don’t know much about but because of their regulations they had phone features that took the US 10 additional years and even then their rollout was hit and miss.

We here in the US think that having uniform requirements stifles innovation but having no or outdated standards can stifle things worse.

avz

Suspended
Oct 7, 2018
Stalingrad, Russia
We here in the US think that having uniform requirements stifles innovation but having no or outdated standards can stifle things worse.
I believe there is an old saying that even a rotten, corrupt system is much better than no system at all.

It is a question of finding that fine balance as there is always a danger to throw away the baby with the water.

sideshowuniqueuser

macrumors 68030
Mar 20, 2016
BMW is also "Germany Based" but most of their SUVs are built in South Carolina, USA.
Do you have a real point?
That's because it costs too much to build cars in rich 1st world countries like Germany, so BMW save money by keeping the high value design and engineering in Germany, and export the manufacturing to poor, backwards, 3rd world countries, with easily exploitable labor, and lax workforce protection laws, like the US.

sideshowuniqueuser

macrumors 68030
Mar 20, 2016
Its still a German company. Apple is not manufacturing their iPhones in the US either. With that logic, Apple is just as much as a Chinese company as BMW. My cousin works for Daimler at the headquarter in Stuttgart, Germany. If the US office messes up, she literally flies there to kick their asses (figuratively speaking), if the factories in Mexico get a new contract, the German engineers fly over there to teach them how to XY.

I also work for the HQ of a company, located in Germany. We have subdivisions across Europe but it is still a German company. For example, I am not even a Head Of but if the "Head of XY in Italy" has another "stupid" idea, I can still tell them "no" (even though I am not even a Head of) simply because I work at the HQ and that automatically gives me more "power" because at the end of the day, they all work "for us"
"...she literally flies there to kick their asses (figuratively speaking)..."

Literally figuratively speaking? Yoiks!

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore

There is good in bad, and there is bad in good.

It’s no surprise that tech giants like Microsoft, Apple, Facebook and Google are all American.

constructor

macrumors regular
May 15, 2011
There is good in bad, and there is bad in good.

It’s no surprise that tech giants like Microsoft, Apple, Facebook and Google are all American.
Indeed, it's due to a combination of:
• massive public subsidies for space and military programs with a strong focus on California in the 1960s to 1980s
• which created or at least massively boosted the chip industry there ("Silicon Valley")
• plenty of venture capital sloshing around
• culturally and lingually (mostly) unified home market
• practically no privacy regulations

That technology giants can absolutely thrive in Europe is shown by the examples already given, Silicon Valley and its consequences was just due a unique situation.

Even the internet was a US military-incentivized development, while the web, on the other hand, was a european public-funded invention at CERN.

Last edited:

MRrainer

macrumors 68000
Aug 8, 2008
Zurich, Switzerland
Not really. If the battery is replaceable, the battery life requirement is waived. Since most can be, even if not easily, then most phones will be exempt.

Likely, just providing a slightly bigger buffer is cheaper for Apple. No manual labor outside China involved in that case...

Lihp8270

macrumors 65816
Dec 31, 2016
You've never heard of Nikon and Canon, have you?
Also, Zeiss is NOT limited to Germany. From their website:
With over 35,000 employees, ZEISS is active globally in almost 50 countries with around 30 production sites, 60 sales and service companies and 27 research and development facilities.
So, perhaps you need to brush up your Knowledge/Data base.
By this definition, apple, Google, Facebook etc are not US companies as they’re active globally

Lihp8270

macrumors 65816
Dec 31, 2016
Please make one for laptops so we can exchange/upgrade RAM and storage.
There are laptops available with this functionality.

There are actually considerable benefits of soldered ram.

If you want a device without soldered ram. You’ll be giving up speed and battery life.

Reactions: constructor

jlc1978

macrumors 603
Aug 14, 2009
Even the internet was a US military-incentivized development, while the web, on the other hand, was a european public-funded invention at CERN.

Beyond quibbling about where public money comes from, the web was based on work first done elsewhere, including Brown, Carnegie-Mellon, SRI, and MIT; and inspired by authors from the US and Argentina. Of course, without the internet the web as we know it would not exist. And while ARPA played the key rule, the NSF expanded it and eventually ARPA bowed out.

My point: The story is more than military vs. public funding; which is merely a political artifact of how governments approach research. It's all still public money in the end.

jlc1978

macrumors 603
Aug 14, 2009
There are laptops available with this functionality.

There are actually considerable benefits of soldered ram.

If you want a device without soldered ram. You’ll be giving up speed and battery life.

Even soldered ram will go away as use of SOC expands. I suspect we'll eventually see SOCs that more built in storage than the system uses; with chips that fail memory tests at say XX GB get modified to only use X GBs. Saves binning "bad" chips and will of course result in "Manufacturer X is crippling my system...." whines; such as happened in the x86 days.

constructor

macrumors regular
May 15, 2011
Beyond quibbling about where public money comes from, the web was based on work first done elsewhere, including Brown, Carnegie-Mellon, SRI, and MIT; and inspired by authors from the US and Argentina. Of course, without the internet the web as we know it would not exist. And while ARPA played the key rule, the NSF expanded it and eventually ARPA bowed out.

My point: The story is more than military vs. public funding; which is merely a political artifact of how governments approach research. It's all still public money in the end.
No, not all; It just played a much bigger role in the past than many people realize and to some extent still does, as do regulations such as mandated cell radio standards including mandatory interoperability and other factors.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.