Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TechLord

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2020
This will just slow down innovation in the future when there’s inevitably a new form of wired charging which is more efficient but companies within the EU cannot adapt.

Either way I hope apple accelerates a portless iPhone, will enjoy replacing my iPhone 14 pro with an iPhone 17 ultra max Tim apple edition.

• Haha
Reactions: dk001

dba415

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2011
Hey so maybe if iPhone has USB-C, it can do something like Samsung DEX. It clearly has enough CPU horsepower, perhaps this would make MacBooks obsolete.

Reactions: fat jez

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
Thats great, now we can have even slower data transfer speeds via MagSafe. I look forward trying to read an SD card wirelessly.

I have no trouble shooting events on a Sony a9, transferring dozens of selects to my iPhone in my pocket as I shoot, doing some preliminary editing in Lightroom for iOS and AirDropping photos to my client's phone in seconds where they can then share them live with their audience.

The iPhone doesn't have an SD card reader and it doesn't need it, neither built in or plugged in. It has a well established App Store that can link to devices where those SD cards are inserted. If your camera doesn't already do wireless transfers, then it's your outdated tech that you need to update. The Future (present) is wireless.

Last edited:

Hurda

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2009
One version of the Anti Apple law said that every device big enough to handle USB-C charging has to implement it. Have to check the final version ...
Yes, you should check it before spreading misinformation.

Unapologetically wireless iPhone to be introduced in 2024!
That would be illegal.
Wrong.

Does this mean the iPhone 15 will be the only one available in the EU?
No.

Reactions: brucemr and Ethosik

ThomasJL

macrumors 68000
Oct 16, 2008
And moving to USB-C doesn’t mean iPhones will have faster USB speeds. USB-C still supports USB 2...
True. Tim Cook is so ignorant when it comes to products that I wouldn’t be surprised if an upcoming iPhone with USB-C was limited to USB 2.0 speeds. If that would boost Apple’s profit margins, Tim Crook would consider it.

Reactions: brofkand

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Sage, Lightning, and Mountains
USB-C is an inferior physical connector. I hope Apple can just go all wireless. My car, desk and bedside chargers are all Magsafe. If anything, I'd like to see Apple consolidate charging of Apple Watch to Magsafe like they did for AirPods. Otherwise, it's not a bad idea to consolidate charging to one standard, but it's still somewhat impractical for one size fits all and not the proper use of government.

And, one still has to carry several cables to charge multiple devices at once, even if they are all the same connector type.

All wireless - how does that work if you have to physically update? Take it into Apple instead of plugging it into your mb/pc?

Methinks Apple has a bit to go before they walk that route.

solq

Suspended
Sep 9, 2022
Nobody is forcing any smartphone-company to adopt USB-C outside of the EU.
Apple can use Lightning in the US, no problem.
Of course but it’s more expensive to manufacture devices with different connectors for different geos. In practice, if a major geo forces some aspect of some device, all geos tend to get it. I can give many examples but just in front of me right now there’s my main TV - there’s no reason for it to support NTSC here in Switzerland yet it does, because that’s the US standard and it’s cheaper for them to make one model fits all.

Reactions: CarlJ

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Sage, Lightning, and Mountains
This will just slow down innovation in the future when there’s inevitably a new form of wired charging which is more efficient but companies within the EU cannot adapt.

Either way I hope apple accelerates a portless iPhone, will enjoy replacing my iPhone 14 pro with an iPhone 17 ultra max Tim apple edition.

If Apple slowed down charging any more the flagship mobile device would be a Moto Micro-TAC.

• Haha
Reactions: Mrkevinfinnerty

theluggage

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2011
There‘s no reason that a new form of wired charging should need a new connector. It could be added to a new version the USB power delivery spec and anybody could implement it via USB-C provided they included backwards compatibility with older chargers. The EU rule will stop somebody gratuitously introducing an unnecessary new connector or saving a few bucks over the competition by dropping backwards compatibility.

H2SO4

macrumors 603
Nov 4, 2008
Sorry to move the goal posts but you brought up the environment. How much more energy is wasted to charge a phone using Qi wireless charging vs. a direct cable charger?
It's wider than that. Think if you only needed one charger to charge your devices and not ten. Years later that single charge can still be used.
No landfill.

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
Greetings to the environment. Wireless charging today requires between 30 and 80% more energy. Imagine a billion devices being charged this way. Explain to your children that humanity wastes energy and destroys our planet only for convenience.

https://debugger.medium.com/wireles...-will-magsafe-help-the-iphone-12-668dcb683666

*today. We're talking about a phone in 2024. The most recent Qi standard goes up to 50W with more concentrated energy. MagSafe aligns the charger for even more efficiency.

Besides, you lose more energy doing a single extra load of laundry once in a year (4-5 kWh) than it'd take to charge your iPhone for that entire year (3.65 kWh).

Yr Blues

macrumors 68030
Jan 14, 2008
I never had to clean my Lightning ports for it to work like I often have to for USB-C … and Lightning gives me a kind of haptic feedback when it's fully seated. USB-C does not.

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
Shame it needed this for the I/O on the iPhone to arrive in this decade

What, specifically, makes you think Apple would necessarily use anything other than USB2 data speeds on a USB Type C port?

They've done USB3 on Lightning before for an ipad, then continued to put USB2 on phones.

Thus my question - why do you think changing the connector necessitates changing the data speed?

Stromos

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2016
Woodstock, GA
Yeah, I can see Apple going this route just to say how do you like this EU? It’s been rumored for a while now, so maybe this will be the catalyst for Apple to “show the way” once again.
How do you like having to send in and pay to do a restore on your phone? Unless Apple builds a secondary bootloader with a recovery environment similar to Macs. I am completely against a portless iPhone.

Lets be serious though they won't. They also won't put out a wireless airplay adapter and just expect people to run out and buy new cars to be compatible with their phones.

CarlJ

macrumors 604
Feb 23, 2004
San Diego, CA, USA
I'm going to bet there's a 2-in-3 chance that next year's iPhone won't have a USB-C port, or a Lightning port, with them going to entirely wireless charging and data transfer, possibly with a "copper pads only" connector like the SmartConnector on the iPads, for use for bringing an iPhone back from the dead (DFU and that sort of thing).

Not saying that's my preference, just seems like a direction Apple may be headed.

• Angry
Reactions: jz0309

Hurda

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2009
In practice, if a major geo forces some aspect of some device, all geos tend to get it.
China bans eSIM on mainland, yet other regions have eSIM-support.
USA already got their own variant of iPhones with 14, might as well keep Lightning in it, too?

They've done USB3 on Lightning before for an ipad
... which was a far cry from proper USB3-speeds due to the technical limitations of the connector.

dampfnudel

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
How do you like having to send in and pay to do a restore on your phone? Unless Apple builds a secondary bootloader with a recovery environment similar to Macs. I am completely against a portless iPhone.

Lets be serious though they won't. They also won't put out a wireless airplay adapter and just expect people to run out and buy new cars to be compatible with their phones.
Or maybe rely on third-party companies to fill in the gap with wireless airplay adapters for vehicles?

CarlJ

macrumors 604
Feb 23, 2004
San Diego, CA, USA
With the profusion of devices I travel with, I'm desperate to pare down the number of cable types I need.
Desperate seems like a hilarious word to use to describe the space savings afforded by getting rid of one Lightning cable. If you were that desperate, there are USB-C to Lightning adapters for charging that aren't much bigger than a quarter. Stick it on the end of your USB-C cable and now you have a Lightning cable, without all the extra bulk. Are you really arguing that you don't have space in your bags for something the size of a quarter?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.