Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vipergts2207

macrumors 601
Apr 7, 2009
Columbus, OH
You don't need to protect adult from themselves. That's patronizing at best, infantilizing at worst. I don't need or want either of those from a corporation.
Interesting quote from them. Sounds like they have no problem with giant corporations “protecting people from themselves,” but if government tries to protect people, that’s suddenly a problem. Funny how that works.

PickUrPoison

macrumors G3
Sep 12, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA
I love that some people have downvoted / disagreed with you on this. Shows off the agents of Apple.

"No, charge me more, offer me less..."
No, it shows who understands that OP’s claim that “lots of things are glued in now, nearly impossible to repair, and then there are absurd RAM prices, RAM should be removable and replaceable by the user” is full of BS lol.

1) “Lots of things are glued in now”... Wrong. No, they aren’t. Or did you mean a few things?

2) “nearly impossible to repair” Nope, just impossible for you to repair. Use a repair shop; now it’s is nearly impossible not to repair.

3) “RAM should be removable and replaceable by the user”. Oh, you mean like being socketed? Sorry, it doesn’t exist.

No memory manufacturer can make LPDDR memory that doesn’t require soldering. LPDDR4/4X/5 technologies all require that the chips be soldered. That has zero to do with Apple, though I’m sure 99% of the folks here in the Apple hate club are ignorant of that fact.

RAM is no longer even a separate component in cutting edge consumer electronics devices. In all of Apple’s iPhones, Watches, iPads, M1 Macs (and more), RAM is now just a small part of the single chip (the SoC) that incorporates many functions into a single package.

It’s one of the reasons the new $699 Apple Silicon Mac mini easily beats a $52,000 Intel Mac Pro in CPU single core benchmarks, despite the $51,000 price difference.

Last edited:

Frantisekj

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2017
Deep inside Europe :-)
Apple should stand behind its products with a minimum 3 year warranty, i
I find it absurd that a giant company like Apple has only a 1 year warranty.

I applaud the EU for this, lots of things are glued in now, nearly impossible to repair, and then there are absurd RAM prices, RAM should be removable and replaceable by the user.
Stupid. If you want to repair stuff, get a Sony PC tower. That ship has sailed. If you want the best tech, you have to concede your “right” to take it apart and screw it up. If you want the latest tech and the right to take it apart and fix it, build a time machine and go back to 1990.

True is somewhere in between. Repair does not mean doing it home but any independent repair center or skilled professional. On other hand if you wanna technology like M1 or phone, you can not expect you will have replaceable RAM.
On Apple side would be enough to add a bit more RAM and for Example iPhone 5s would be still quite performer, just battery life would suffer.
Car producers has number of rules as well so why not electronic. Advancements in humanity are more important then speed of your chips and size of RAM. My 11 years old MBP, modernized, works quite fine and recently replaced year older model where second repair of graphic chip was already not reasonable.Regular repair shop would mark it as unrepairable 5 years ago.

Reactions: Jbusick7944

PickUrPoison

macrumors G3
Sep 12, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA
It wouldn't be such a problem if Apple wouldn't gauge customers on RAM prices.
Going from 8 to 16 GB cost us an extra (Edit)€200 €230(/edit)...insanity.

Price of RAM is dirt cheap nowadays, I bet they make lots of money from just these upgrades alone.
What does 8/16 GB cost, I bet not more than €20

They even "keep" the 8 GB if one upgrades to 16 GB.
So sick of this red herring. Apple chooses to price upgrades higher so they can set the base price lower. It’s that simple ?‍♂️

The MacBook Air is $1,000 for 8GB and $1,200 for 16GB. If you would prefer a cheaper upgrade, how about $25? Sound good?

But would $1,150 for 8GB and $1,175 for 16GB really be a better pricing structure? Apple doesn’t think so, and that’s what matters.

Last edited:
Reactions: NetMage

NBAasDOGG

Suspended
May 27, 2017
Netherlands
Nope. That’s consumer law which is not a warranty.

A warranty is provided by the manufacturers, the 2 years consumer law thing is a legal matter.
If your Apple product stops functioning within 2 years, Apple has to fix it or give you a new one without charging the consumer = 2 years of warranty in EU!

For instance, my 1 year and 8 months old iPhone 6s Plus got an dead pixel and screen got replaced for free at the Apple store in Amsterdam = 2 years warranty!

PickUrPoison

macrumors G3
Sep 12, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA
I know this article isn’t about Prop 65... however... I once bought a handsaw that had a prop 65 warning on it.

It stated that sawdust (SAWDUST!) was known as a potentially Carcinogenic substance in the state of CA. There wasn’t even any sawdust on the brand new handsaw. But now wood is dangerous. Like, wth ?‍♂️
Well, there’s no way to use a handsaw for its intended use without creating sawdust, and sawdust is carcinogenic.

Here’s some good info, just imagine all the resins, pesticides, paint, paint strippers, glues, adhesives, waterproofing compounds, lacquers, varnishes, sealants, dyes, etc. that you didn’t realize could be a danger to you, that you never even thought of.

I’m really unclear why is it so upsetting that consumers, many of whom, like yourself, are unaware of the dangers of sawdust, be given the simplest of disclosures? Is ignorance bliss?

• Haha
Reactions: iOS Geek

PickUrPoison

macrumors G3
Sep 12, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA
If your Apple product stops functioning within 2 years, Apple has to fix it or give you a new one without charging the consumer = 2 years of warranty in EU!

For instance, my 1 year and 8 months old iPhone 6s Plus got an dead pixel and screen got replaced for free at the Apple store in Amsterdam = 2 years warranty!
Two year warranty is awesome. As long as people don’t complain when Apple’s EU prices are higher, there’s no problem.

In fact, Apple would give you a 5 year warranty if the EU were to require it. But the cost will absolutely be passed along to the buyer. The €900 iPhone 12 becomes a €1,100-1,200 iPhone 12.

Preferable? Maybe for you and others. Not to me, not by a long shot.

Alan Wynn

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2017
But don't you think there's benefits to having a system whereby consumers would be able to know in advance how repairable products will be to allow them to make informed choices, as is being suggested here?
How "repairable" something has nothing to do with how long it will last or how well built it is. A crappy machine with lots of sockets may be easy to repair, but it also may break way more often than a system with everything in a single package like an M1.

This isn't just targetted at Apple or phones - if I buy a new washing machine, I know that there's certain components that will probably wear out after a few years.
No. It completely depends on how things are made as to whether part will "wear out". Making it easier to get to and replace a part, may make it more likely to fail than a system with very tight tolerances that cannot be opened.
Having this sort of information would mean I could choose a washing machine that I knew I could easily replace those parts on rather than end up with one with a sealed unit that cost more to replace than a new machine.
However, the sealed unit might last 4 times as long, than the system that can be opened and had much looser tolerances. "Repairability" does not equal "longevity".

Rainshadow

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2017
Well, there’s no way to use a handsaw for its intended use without creating sawdust, and sawdust is carcinogenic.

Here’s some good info, just imagine all the resins, pesticides, paint, paint strippers, glues, adhesives, waterproofing compounds, lacquers, varnishes, sealants, dyes, etc. that you didn’t realize could be a danger to you, that you never even thought of.

I’m really unclear why is it so upsetting that consumers, many of whom, like yourself, are unaware of the dangers of sawdust, be given the simplest of disclosures? Is ignorance bliss?
Well there again. It’s not the wood. It’s the resins etc. which could be labeled on those items. Not the saw. The saw I bought was for trimming in the yard and natural woods from small trees.

But NO wood is NOT itself carcinogenic - at least not more so than ANYTHING else. And sawdust in itself is NOT carcinogenic. If you assume someone will cut something with carcinogenic materials in it with something at some point in its life... everything would have warnings a mile long.

No, as an informed consumer - which I am - I don’t need a government asking me the windows equivalent of “are you sure?” Every time I buy something. Especially when that thing can be used without causing cancer... Jeez.

Analog Kid

macrumors G3
Mar 4, 2003
If there's one thing we learned about corporations over the years, it's that nothing motivates them more than labeling requirements... ?

deevey

macrumors 65816
Dec 4, 2004
Sad that Apple's M1 based macs are a shot across the bow of 'self repair', and upgrade.

You either buy big, or you suffer. Like the MacBook Pro I have that is suffering running video intensive programs, and I can't upgrade the memory because Apple decided it was going to sell it as a closed box, no upgrades. So it's a dead end. It'll be still viable if I could upgrade it. With the M1 having the RAM literally on the chip, it gets even worse, right? I don't think there is an excuse for doing this to customers...

Right to repair, and Right to upgrade!
Well the performance alone would tell you there is an excuse for moving to the components soldered to the board.

In the case of my Samsung washing machine however there was no reason to seal all the components on controller board in hard silicone. Making it a $150 board replacement on a $250 machine when all it needed was a relay replaced.

As for glueing in batteries, or riveting in keyboards though .. yes I agree, there is really no excuse. Manufacturing costs would be higher though (passed onto the customer of course).

Alan Wynn

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2017
It does not require any manufacturer to sell repairable products or the toolkits to repair them. It does require labelling products according to repairability score. This is good. Access to consistent and transparent information is good for the consumer.
This information will not be transparent and that is the problem. It will be like iFixit's repairability score, that over all gives you very little actionable data. Which is a better product or is better for the environment? The product with the higher repairability score that never really gets software updates or the product with a low repairability with consistent updates for 4 or 5 years and enough processor headroom to last that long?
This labelling thing is not new. We also have it, for instance, for energy efficiency, or for nutritional information. What is wrong with this? You can choose to ignore them. You can choose to make more informed decisions.
You are correct, but what we also know is there is quite a lot of gaming the system that these labeling rules cause, often with really negative consequences (as an example, lots of companies created no-fat products that were worse nutritionally than those with normal amounts of fat.

Gasu E.

macrumors 603
Mar 20, 2004
Not far from Boston, MA.
Stupid. If you want to repair stuff, get a Sony PC tower. That ship has sailed. If you want the best tech, you have to concede your “right” to take it apart and screw it up. If you want the latest tech and the right to take it apart and fix it, build a time machine and go back to 1990.
If Apple feels they need to make their products unrepairable, then don't you think in return the consumer should get a longer warranty by default? And if Apple makes their products unrepairable AND continues to bundle a chintzy warranty, then don't you think Apple's choice should be made abundantly clear to the consumer?

Reactions: justperry

Gasu E.

macrumors 603
Mar 20, 2004
Not far from Boston, MA.
Finally, the ball has started to roll... It's shameful that companies like apple (and others in all sorts of technological domains) willfully makes things so hard/impossible to make repairs. Shameful.
It's not shameful; there is an engineering trade-off between compact form and repairability. However, Apple should provide longer warranties in return for this design choice.

Reactions: justperry

deevey

macrumors 65816
Dec 4, 2004
Not to our throwaway society. Take the lawn mower. You can buy one really good one that will last 30 years or you can buy a new one every 5 to 7 years. At the end of the 30 years you have paid two, three, four times, or more than what you would have paid buying a good one to start with.

Guess which one the manufacturer wants you to do? Guess which one the daily marketing and propaganda is geared towards? Guess which one is easy to believe, because the advertising makes you feel good.? Guess which one actually makes financial sense?

Now, I understand most people on this forum will never have lawns, but the same logic applies to a lot of non-consumable products. Of course advertising and propaganda today wants everyone to think that everything is consumable.
Grass is always grass however, it doesn't require a new type of lawnmower every couple of years to keep up.

When it comes to tech, many things ARE consumable - computers being one of them. Faster speeds are simply a requirement.

When it comes to Apple products, in a vast number of cases the products themselves outlive the usefulness of their components and many never need a repair during their useful lifespan.

Grey Area

macrumors 6502
Jan 14, 2008

That is the statutory warranty in the EU, which is indeed at least 2 years (longer even in some countries and for some products) - on paper. One has to keep i mind that the statutory warranty only protects against (possibly hidden) defects that were present when the product was purchased. Therefore all EU countries reverse the burden of proof 6 months after the purchase. If the product breaks down after that, the manufacturer can simply claim that the product was fine originally and that the customer mistreated the product. It is then up to the customer to prove them wrong, which means hiring experts, going to court, and generally turning the whole affair into a massive effort that probably exceeds the worth of the product. Thus in practice the statutory warranty is not nearly as valuable as people hope it to be, and Apple was being nice when they just replaced your screen for free.

Edited to add: This is why I am rather ambivalent about the EU statutory warranty. It can be genuinely useful in high value products, e.g. 7 months after purchase your new house collapses or the car engine breaks, though most such products will come with a warranty from the manufacturer for the first years anyway. For lower value products it just gives manufacturers an excuse to jack up prices since they "need to account for the EU warranty," when in reality they won't really have to do much fixing if they don't want to.

Last edited:
Reactions: Apple Fritter

Rainshadow

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2017
Sad that Apple's M1 based macs are a shot across the bow of 'self repair', and upgrade.

You either buy big, or you suffer. Like the MacBook Pro I have that is suffering running video intensive programs, and I can't upgrade the memory because Apple decided it was going to sell it as a closed box, no upgrades. So it's a dead end. It'll be still viable if I could upgrade it. With the M1 having the RAM literally on the chip, it gets even worse, right? I don't think there is an excuse for doing this to customers...

Right to repair, and Right to upgrade!
I’ve never understood this logic. At least regarding upgradable stuff.

When you buy something, you are freely agreeing on a price for specs/power/os/ etc etc. People who feel entitled to change/upgrade/swap by cheaper means confound me. Yes, fixing a minor issue should be possible, but limiting designs and advancement of tech just so you can be cheap about what you buy upfront to upgrade after market is not a reasonable trade off in my opinion. Would it be nice? Sure. Is that your choice? No. Should a company be required to allow you to buy their products cheaper so you can buy another company’s internals? No. To me it doesn’t make sense.

buy what you think you need in 5 years and cough up the money. Yea, it’s expensive - but if it was too expensive, people wouldn’t buy it and Apple wouldn’t be one of the worlds’ most valuable companies.

but I’m sure I’m a minority opinion here.

PickUrPoison

macrumors G3
Sep 12, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA
Well there again. It’s not the wood. It’s the resins etc. which could be labeled on those items. Not the saw. The saw I bought was for trimming in the yard and natural woods from small trees.

But NO wood is NOT itself carcinogenic - at least not more so than ANYTHING else. And sawdust in itself is NOT carcinogenic. If you assume someone will cut something with carcinogenic materials in it with something at some point in its life... everything would have warnings a mile long.

No, as an informed consumer - which I am - I don’t need a government asking me the windows equivalent of “are you sure?” Every time I buy something. Especially when that thing can be used without causing cancer... Jeez.
You’re wrong. Wood dust itself can be carcinogenic. You should have read the article.

Specifically, nasal cancer, with Oak, beech, birch, mahogany, teak, walnut of particular concern.

The additional treatments to finished wood are a separate category of hazards that can be released in saw dust.

Whether you specifically will incur a hazard with your specific use isn’t actually relevant to whether consumers in general deserve to have the information the label provides.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
All good, but isn't that the job of iFixit ? Someone is stealing their thunder.

Why must we now have a "score" of how easy or difficult at "time of purchase". That's repairability job to know that after the fact.

Although EU is doing this, keep it in the EU. Let potential buyers find out for themselves. As always has been.

(a new lawnmower is always good :) )

Rainshadow

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2017
You’re wrong. Wood dust itself can be carcinogenic. You should have read the article.

Specifically, nasal cancer, with Oak, beech, birch, mahogany, teak, walnut of particular concern.

The additional treatments to finished wood are a separate category of hazards that can be released in saw dust.

Whether you specifically will incur a hazard with your specific use isn’t actually relevant to whether consumers in general deserve to have the information the label provides.
Look, I’m sorry. We can have this discussion til the cows come home. I’m not really trying to say you’re not technically right (even though I did say that - I admit)... and it sounds like you may be right (my curiosity is peaked about the types of wood... so I may just read the article) but the idea that anyone needs to be warned about everything under the guise of consumer information is still, to me, insane. There is literally no end to what could be explained or warned about. Literally... no... end. And guess what. When people see those minor warnings about sawdust, they are almost certainly going to have less reverence for a warning that’s potentially more severe. Boy-who-cried-wolf kind of thing.

Selling a mug? Better warn folks about caffeine. Selling a sink faucet? Better warn folks you can drown. And maybe they do warn you about those things - crazy. If you think that provides more information great.

But regardless of whether mahogany does or does not potentially cause cancer, it will not effect whether or not I, or likely anyone else, would not cut that piece of wood. Because, if you’re cutting it... it needs to be cut. I mean, really.

Thanks for responding to my earlier comment with information and without personal attacks. I appreciate it.

MacsomJRR

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2003
San Diego
Letting consumers repair their own devices without penalizing them for doing so should be the norm. Unfortunately, that just doesn't fit into Apple's business model.

Reactions: Apple Fritter

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
Commodore International (made the Amiga) was better. But Apple was, and is a closed system.. We should have seen this coming anyway. Any closed system can do whatever they want. The right to repair was never their first priority.

AnthonyHarris

Cancelled
Jun 4, 2009
Cambridge, England
Finally, the ball has started to roll... It's shameful that companies like apple (and others in all sorts of technological domains) willfully makes things so hard/impossible to make repairs. Shameful.
It wouldn't be SO bad if they used screws as apposed to rivets/glue for the keyboard and battery. Surely it would be more cost effective to replace just the battery in the machine for Apple than send the entire machine away to be dismantled and pretty much entirely replaced.
I am so tired of this line of Apple apologist. It's one thing if a product is difficult to repair due to size and design requirements, but quite another when a company goes out of its way to make a product difficult/impossible to repair in the way Apple does. Locking an otherwise generic power management chip behind a proprietary agreement, preventing third party repair companies from accessing it any way but through Apple directly and only one chip at a time on a case by case basis, thus ensuring same third party repair shop will always provide the repair more slowly and more expensively than Apple directly. Can you imagine if a car company tried something like this? If you were forced to get an oil change or purchase simple things like tires or batteries exclusively through the company dealership directly? And then when this arrangement was rightly criticized that car company made a token gesture of allowing independent shops to perform this work for an annual fee but due to supply chain restrictions mentioned above always more slowly and more expensively than the dealerships themselves?
What part of any of that scenario is better for the consumer? In what way has limiting choice and driving up costs ever been a benefit to the consumer?
Hugh Jeffreys on YouTube (link to video below) switched over the cameras on two iPhone 12 models. They both stopped working properly. He moved them back to their original housings and the phones worked flawlessly again.

It is one thing to electronically pair a fingerprint scanner or FaceID camera, but it seems that you can't even swap what are seemingly identical camera modules between phones, thus making Apples servicing the only option.

jlc1978

macrumors 603
Aug 14, 2009
But don't you think there's benefits to having a system whereby consumers would be able to know in advance how repairable products will be to allow them to make informed choices, as is being suggested here?
There is, but I doubt it will matter much to most consumers, who simply want the latest tech. What is the average replacement cycle of a cell phone, for example? 2 -3 years? Most of those phones are still quite serviceable; yet people ditch them for the newest shiny.
This isn't just targetted at Apple or phones - if I buy a new washing machine, I know that there's certain components that will probably wear out after a few years. Having this sort of information would mean I could choose a washing machine that I knew I could easily replace those parts on rather than end up with one with a sealed unit that cost more to replace than a new machine.
TL;DR: Good idea, let's see how well it works if it becomes law

The problem is repairbale may not translate to "easy to repair." I get where you are coming from, I replaced a broken part on my washer for about $29 and it is working fine. If the electronics board goes out, however, even though it is replaceable the cost is nearly 2/3's of a new machine. Absent schematics and a knowledge of electronic trouble shooting, board level repair is impossible even if the part is repairable. Even if it is just a $5 transistor, the cost for a tech to come, pull the board, trouble shoot and repair it is likely to approach half that of a new part and thus the economics changes to making a new one more attractive. The advantage would be in the used market, where someone could take the broken machine and repair it and sell it to another person.

I am troubleshooting a problem with an old Kenwood amp, and the instruction manual includes board level circuit diagrams and parts lists. Apple even used to include schemtaics with its computers. Unfortunately, that ship sailed long ago. There is a certain satisfaction in repairing stuff, I just rebuilt the odometer on my 635CSi and will fix a faultuy A/C blower by replacing a $5 transistor instead of a $140 board with the transitor already soldered in place. Most people are not interested in that, and if someone had to pay me to do it the cost would be close to that of a new board.

I like the idea, but wonder how effective it will be in changing buying and manufacturing habits.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.