Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

co.ag.2005

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 17, 2009
Fort Worth, TX
Cool and water resistant, very clever

May get the wife one she loved her gold edition razr of yesteryear

Not sure why so many are hung up on specs, many like tech and styling and only use a 10th of their device potential

Enjoy the form factor :)

My wife is so enamored with this phone. She typically doesn't care about new phone launches and is quite happy using her Pixel devices but this is the first time she's actually watched these hands on videos with me. She never has an interest in that. It's been pretty funny. We'll definitely skip this generation but will be cool to keep an eye on this technology

Last edited:
Reactions: 5105973

ChineseBots

macrumors member
Mar 13, 2019
I think Motorola/ Lenovo knew this won't sell well hence the Verizon exclusive. However this is a promising and far more inspiring execution than any other folding devices so kudos to them.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
It’s too expensive. Good grief. But it’s fun to look at.

I never got to own a folding phone, most specifically the gorgeous Razr. I definitely wanted one. But by the time I could afford one the pocket computer ones had such great features I had to pass...ironically making this version of the Razr perfect for me...like 12 years ago. :rolleyes:

I would just admire my niece’s Razr. They were pretty phones. But again, by that point I was on a Treo that could do much more.

History repeats. I find this incredibly appealing. But I have to stick to flat phones that offer more for the money. I can’t pay that kind of money just for the appealing style.

Last edited:
Reactions: Oohara

Oohara

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2012
It’s too expensive. Good grief. But it’s fun to look at.

I never got to own a folding phone, most specifically the gorgeous Razr. I definitely wanted one. But by the time I could afford one the pocket computer ones had such great features I had to pass...ironically making this version of the Razr perfect for me...like 12 years ago. :rolleyes:

I would just admire my niece’s Razr. They were pretty phones. But again, by that point I was on a Treo that could do much more.

History repeats. I find this incredibly appealing. But I have to stick to flat phones that offer more for the money. I can’t pay that kind of money just for the appealing style.
Haha that’s pretty much exactly my story with the Razr too. Absolutely loved the design but it kept being released in the middle of my device plan cycle so I could never get one, and then the smartphones came and made it obsolete for me.

I love the idea of this one though, expensive or not. Today’s smartphones all have this boring utilitarian design after all, any differences in terms of looks are honestly not much more than superficial. Sure they can do awesome stuff, but they’re all rectangular slabs. While the Razr was and is desirable also from a purely aesthetic standpoint.

TheSapient

macrumors regular
May 26, 2017
Haha that’s pretty much exactly my story with the Razr too. Absolutely loved the design but it kept being released in the middle of my device plan cycle so I could never get one, and then the smartphones came and made it obsolete for me.

I love the idea of this one though, expensive or not. Today’s smartphones all have this boring utilitarian design after all, any differences in terms of looks are honestly not much more than superficial. Sure they can do awesome stuff, but they’re all rectangular slabs. While the Razr was and is desirable also from a purely aesthetic standpoint.

There will come a day when there are mid-range folding phones, and people will be able to compromise a bit on function to get a fun form. This, and the Galaxy Fold, and exciting looks at the future.

dazz87

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2007
dat chin...

View attachment 874118
View attachment 874119
View attachment 874120
View attachment 874121
better than dat Notch.

Zito Abroad

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2019
The more we see OEMs rushing to get out their foldable devices, the faster we see it go mainstream, and the faster prices come down. You can't argue with the price right now, that's just the current price to play. So bravo Motorola. I like it. The fact that the Galaxy Fold is selling out, shows people are itching for the foldable form factor. Samsung will be bringing out their foldable clamshell soon as well. They announced it a few weeks back at their developer conference. I'm assuming, the "clamshell" will be the entry level form factor for foldable designs. More OEMs involved, is a big win for the industry.

mhdena

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2009
The more we see OEMs rushing to get out their foldable devices, the faster we see it go mainstream, and the faster prices come down. You can't argue with the price right now, that's just the current price to play. So bravo Motorola. I like it. The fact that the Galaxy Fold is selling out, shows people are itching for the foldable form factor. Samsung will be bringing out their foldable clamshell soon as well. They announced it a few weeks back at their developer conference. I'm assuming, the "clamshell" will be the entry level form factor for foldable designs. More OEMs involved, is a big win for the industry.

Moto Razr has more promise than an iPad mini size open folding phone, IMO

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
No headphone jack, no physical SIM slot(!), same spec as a $200 realme 3 pro, and for $1500?

And people still think Apple is overpriced... :D

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
My wife is so enamored with this phone. She typically doesn't care about new phone launches and is quite happy using her Pixel devices but this is the first time she's actually watched these hands on videos with me. She never has an interest in that. It's been pretty funny. We'll definitely skip this generation but will be cool ti keep an eye on this technology
LOL

I had to force my old S10+ on my wife let alone upgrading her to a Note10 when I upgraded to the Fold :rolleyes:

I do not think its so much nostalgia with this form factor but fold to answer or end seems such an obvious action that is very pleasing

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
Yeah, I can just see Flossy's review. It's either going to be:

1) This is the ultimate flex phone, all you peasants need to sit down
2) For $1500 should you buy this phone? Heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeell no.

I think this phone is awesome but would never pay more than $500 for something like this. Maybe it'll sell terribly forcing Moto to drop the price by $1000, haha.
$500 is still overpriced for the spec you get. Realme 3 pro offers SD710 for $200. Even then it's an old phone as even the Chinese are using newer SD712.

Reactions: Harthag

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
$500 is still overpriced for the spec you get. Realme 3 pro offers SD710 for $200. Even then it's an old phone as even the Chinese are using newer SD712.
So of course cutting edge design and innovation has no value :rolleyes:

There are many things we buy that are worth more than the sum of their parts, if that has no value for you, move on otherwise this is just like having a PHD in stating the obvious

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
It is expensive, but this phone will to appeal to the right demographic that was a fan of the original Rzr back from the early 2000s era. More specifically, I think Motorola priced this phone knowingly _if_ someone wants this specific phone, they'll pay the price for it. Personally, I actually commend Motorola for bringing back the razor in the future and how they envisioned it, I would love to toy around with this. If I was a devoted android user, I would gladly pay $1500 for this phone hands-down, I don’t doubt the quality or features it’s offering.

Zito Abroad

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2019
Moto Razr has more promise than an iPad mini size open folding phone, IMO

In that case, it's a good Samsung will have you and people that share your preference, covered. They have both, the clamshell galaxy fold will be out soon. It's all about OEMs offering choice to the users.

Oohara

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2012
It is expensive, but this phone will to appeal to the right demographic that was a fan of the original Rzr back from the early 2000s era. More specifically, I think Motorola priced this phone knowingly _if_ someone wants this specific phone, they'll pay the price for it. Personally, I actually commend Motorola for bringing back the razor in the future and how they envisioned it, I would love to toy around with this. If I was a devoted android user, I would gladly pay $1500 for this phone hands-down, I don’t doubt the quality or features it’s offering.
I dig, but for me, being a devoted Android user wouldn't be enough. Even if I was, I'd only buy this if I was so rich that $1500 was chump change to me. Honestly I feel like we don't know a thing about its quality or features yet, only that looks and concept wise it's slick as all hell. If I knew that both those were good, then maybe being a devoted Android user would be enough for me to splurge on it.

If the quality (especially durability + no wonky crease in the middle of the display) was proven to hold a high standard and the features were great (the camera doesn't seem too great at the moment), then maybe I'd pay what I paid for my 11 Pro.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I dig, but for me, being a devoted Android user wouldn't be enough. Even if I was, I'd only buy this if I was so rich that $1500 was chump change to me. Honestly I feel like we don't know a thing about its quality or features yet, only that looks and concept wise it's slick as all hell. If I knew that both those were good, then maybe being a devoted Android user would be enough for me to splurge on it.

If the quality (especially durability + no wonky crease in the middle of the display) was proven to hold a high standard and the features were great (the camera doesn't seem too great at the moment), then maybe I'd pay what I paid for my 11 Pro.

Build quality is everything in terms of a smart phone today, and if you look at the competition with Apple and Samsung, all this hardware is equally ‘premium’. I can’t speak for the Motorola Razr in terms of durability and overall construction, but for $1500, I wouldn’t expect anything less from a device that _should_ be on par with what smart phones are offering in terms of build quality today.

But the most unique thing about the Motorola Razr revamp offers, is all smart phones generally look the same, there a rectangular design housed in glass, and I think this phone presents something entirely different that gets away from the ‘norm’ of what we are used to seeing.

Let me just say this, if it were actually a possibility of where the Motorola Razr could run iOS in a perfect world, I would pay full price for this phone on a day one release. [And that’s not to say anything bad about android, I’m just partial to iOS.]

Oohara

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2012
Build quality is everything in terms of a smart phone today, and if you look at the competition with Apple and Samsung, all this hardware is equally ‘premium’. I can’t speak for the Motorola Razr in terms of durability and overall construction, but for $1500, I wouldn’t expect anything less from a device that _should_ be on par with what smart phones are offering in terms of build quality today.

But the most unique thing about the Motorola Razr revamp offers, is all smart phones generally look the same, there a rectangular design housed in glass, and I think this phone presents something entirely different that gets away from the ‘norm’ of what we are used to seeing.

Let me just say this, if it were actually a possibility of where the Motorola Razr could run iOS in a perfect world, I would pay full price for this phone on a day one release. [And that’s not to say anything bad about android, I’m just partial to iOS.]
I agree completely that this phone offers something unique, and is uniquely desirable because of it. I'm also sure that Motorola are aiming for top build quality. My only reservations come from folding screen tech being so new that literally noone can guarantee top build quality until the thing has been thoroughly tested in the wild and the baby illnesses (sorry I forget the proper term :D ) have been ironed out.

Just look at the Galaxy Fold. The first generation got recalled. And I'd be shocked if the 2nd generation won't also experience serious issues before long. I love the idea of the thing, and I applaud Samsung's initiative (and the brave men and women who are giving zero ****s and actually buying the thing!), but personally I wouldn't shell out $2000 on it until maybe generation 4 or 5.

Same with the Razr. ADORE the idea. But I'll literally pass out on the floor in pure bafflage if its first generation doesn't end up having a few serious issues too. And aside from any structural issues, I also think they won't nail the right camera, battery, and probably even software functionality until a few generations down the line.

At that point though, God help my poor wallet.

Klyster

macrumors 68020
Dec 7, 2013
I think it looks cool but I don't want to unfold a phone everytime I get it out of my pocket only to have what is currrently the incumbent form factor.
The Huawei X and Galaxy fold offer a pocketable tablet, the Moto Razor offers a cool looking phone with an annoying extra step.

Too many caveats for me.....though I can see the appeal.
I loved my V3X.

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
So of course cutting edge design and innovation has no value :rolleyes:

There are many things we buy that are worth more than the sum of their parts, if that has no value for you, move on otherwise this is just like having a PHD in stating the obvious
Haha, innovation what? At least Samsung put the best chip in theirs, not an old chip that others put in their $200 phone. And Samsung put out a better software support than Moto. I'm not even a Samsung fan, but I can see when their offer is better thab something that's a complete rip off, and Moto just pulled a fast one.

But go ahead, buy a $1500 phone that doesn't even have a physical SIM slot. :D

slitherjef

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2012
Earth
Sim slots are the next headphone jack... Make it easier to keep people leashed to a carrier.

Sim slot removal I can actually see both sides, cards do go bad, most don't get swapped out anyway and I'm sure carriers are on board to remove them to prevent people from playing musical device. Also lock out smaller prepaid cell service.

Reactions: SteveJUAE

noobinator

macrumors 604
Jun 19, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
Haha, innovation what? At least Samsung put the best chip in theirs, not an old chip that others put in their $200 phone. And Samsung put out a better software support than Moto. I'm not even a Samsung fan, but I can see when their offer is better thab something that's a complete rip off, and Moto just pulled a fast one.

But go ahead, buy a $1500 phone that doesn't even have a physical SIM slot. :D

I think you might not understand what innovation means. Throwing in the latest chip and different software isn’t innovation.

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
Sim slots are the next headphone jack... Make it easier to keep people leashed to a carrier.

Sim slot removal I can actually see both sides, cards do go bad, most don't get swapped out anyway and I'm sure carriers are on board to remove them to prevent people from playing musical device. Also lock out smaller prepaid cell service.
I must say I was a bit anti esim until a few weeks back when I got one :)

For sure in the US there are many issues for some in swapping carriers and locking phones that make both physical and esim problematic at times depending on carrier or legacy package etc etc

I think because of these various issues that crop up most dual sim phones do not make it to the US where other countries its a given.

If anything there is probably a bigger argument for esim in the US if many stick for numerous reasons including cell coverage with the same carrier and number for years

So as the new Razr is a single source in the US that's an obvious choice taken, that may have few or less issues than some imagine

However for us that reside in several countries and have far more consumer friendly carriers esim starts to be far more practical

Sure having a physical and esim combo is preferable for now IMO.

I was pleasantly surprised how simple the set up was given I was in a carrier store with no one speaking English I was able to walk out with a pre-paid cheapy esim that just needs a few $ credit once a year to remain active

What was more surprising was the fact you can have multiple esim profiles and just swap between them

This is great for me and saves having to carry or buy sims on arrival. Not sure what the limit is but 3 to 5 esims seems possible

I may even get one of those international esim that work with many carriers worldwide as an emergency back-up

Now with my new found knowledge it certainly seems feasible to buy the wife one of those cheap esim watches for her morning walk around the park to save her carrying a phone and a purse

Last edited:
Reactions: jamezr

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
I think you might not understand what innovation means. Throwing in the latest chip and different software isn’t innovation.
And using foldable oled that others have used is not innovation either.
Since there's no innovation here, it boils down to what being offered for the price.
[automerge]1573953212[/automerge]

Yeah, eSIM only is bad news. It's already shown that carriers can lock eSIM (AT&T will lock a cellular iPad's eSIM).

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
And using foldable oled that others have used is not innovation either.
Since there's no innovation here, it boils down to what being offered for the price.
[automerge]1573953212[/automerge]

Yeah, eSIM only is bad news. It's already shown that carriers can lock eSIM (AT&T will lock a cellular iPad's eSIM).

The innovation here is the Fold mechanism that Motorola have created where there are no gaps despite the display folding inward as well as somehow managing to make the phone splash proof despite it being a foldable. Big companies like Samsung could not even figure out how to make the Galaxy Fold gapless.

brucemr

macrumors regular
Sep 25, 2019
Think Motorola is onto something with this. Phone with screen size of iPhone 11. But folds to half size. With little 2.7” screen on back with basic functionality that will often eliminate need to open it.

Don‘t think Samsung’s implementation, full size phone / mini tablet combo, that is still big when folded, is what the masses wants. They just want a phone. And many will appreciate 6.2” screen phone that folds to a much more portable size.

The price will come down if it sells. Also, they can crank out smaller and larger screen versions.

Reactions: Tsepz
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.